I live in Thailand and I like it here.

villagefarang

32 minutes ago, madmen said:

That's interesting. I to did the NLP course and it was instrumental in my success in my marketing company

But how will your Mrs use it? Big money in training in the west but never really thought that Thais would pay top dollar for it

The courses are very well attended here with 500 to 1000 people most of the time.  Some of the more introductory classes have even more.  I think there were something like 200 who went to climb the mountain in Vietnam for the final event.  The fire walking was a big draw for some.  To complete all ten levels is not cheap as you noted.  The payoff for me is not monetary, however.

Some people send their employees as a form of training and others come with family members.  Some are doing coaching while others are using it to advance their businesses and entrepreneurial endeavors.  So far my wife has done some volunteer work but mainly it has helped her grow as an individual.  She is also interested in public speaking and is an active member of the local Toastmasters.  There is also a big social element.  It is great to be around that many highly motivated and positive people.

Edited by villagefarang

2 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

I hope to see you out and about with your bike - we’ve been Short of great photos in the Cycling forum

I have actually been doing more hiking with my wife than cycling.  Cycling is solo and I have dropped down to 50 km when I ride. I really enjoy my wife's company so would rather hike with her.  Last winter we did all the Phu peaks out our way and had a great time.  This year she is training for the 10k runs and wants to do a half marathon next.

57 minutes ago, villagefarang said:

There was no sarcasm intended.  I just assumed you have the signature and perhaps the avatar functions turned off leaving you unable to read what is normally at the bottom of my posts.

Perhaps you would prefer a different answer.  I consider 40 plus years a long time.

I apoligise, I had no idea that it was possible to turn off "functions"

Yes 41 years is a long time, funnily enough I have lived in SEA for the past 41 years, the first ten in Singapore, Malaysia & PI, since then I have been in Thailand, we are also the same age. Time has flown!

• Like 1

I’m with you, I love living here. When I first started to visit on holiday it was all bars and party scene.

but I fell on love with Thailand away from the bars and nightlife. I’ve been to and stayed for ant least a day or two in over 30 provinces so far and now I’m settled with a really nice girlfriend my pace of life is very fulfilling. I wouldn’t change a thing. 

Thanks for the posyive story story and the great pics. Lovely way to start my day 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, villagefarang said:

That is why I decided to post this.  I took a rather long break from TVF but thought I might test the waters again with something a little more positive.

Anything positive is good and nice pictures ????

• Like 1

5 hours ago, possum1931 said:

I have lived here for 13 years now and like it here, unlike in the UK, no one has ever approached me in a hostile way apart from an immigration officer, and the only time I have approached a Thai person, not in a hostile way, but for attempting to jump queues in front of me, and I have won every time.

So I like it here too, mainly because the people are so friendly and helpful, and I always treat people the way they treat me.

Hmm. In the last sentence you put an interesting twist on the Golden Rule. Intentional or Freudian?

I also like the joke line "Do unto others before they can do unto you." 

I guess it's a chicken/egg thing but I find being proactively smiling and courteous an effective first move. It tends to disarm grumpy people before they can get started. 

Sorry, your comment just struck me funny I guess. ????

• Like 2

On 1/16/2019 at 2:49 PM, villagefarang said:

The night market in Nan.

Was there last week with the missus and my Dad who is over on hols from the UK.

Driven thru Nan on a couple of occasions, but never looked around until this time. Very impressive town, we all liked very much. my Dad says it's his favourite Thai city. Prolly a bit like CR was 15 years ago and CM was 25-30 years ago.

The night market is wonderful.

We had a little 2000 odd kms road trip for 7 days, Udon - Chiang Khan - Nan - Chiang Saen - Golden Triangle - Khao Kor (wonderful) and back.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 1/16/2019 at 4:48 PM, from the home of CC said:

I took a long break also, the anti thai sentiments got under my skin some. Then I realized that there's a lot of unhappy people out there that have no where to express it, especially being away from their native homes. I seem to tolerate the bs better if I view it from this standpoint. Post like yours remind me of the reasons I came here. 

There is nothing unusual about being happy and likewise being unhappy. 

Many of the guys who are happy live lives that are inconsequential to Thailand. Meaning, they can be under the radar and avoid lots of drama. 

However, you will find very few expats who are successful in Thailand based business who are happy in the way a expat with a pension living in a field would be. Old, retired, broke or pensioner expats like this challenge no one, are not a target for their wealth (because they usually have nearly none), ect. 

The happy guys need to try to understand the unhappy ones better and visa versa. Both are valid. Just depends on experience. 

Edited by Fex Bluse

I am not sure why you would think it is the old, retired, broke or pensioner expats who are the happy ones.  My experience has been the exact opposite of yours.  Most of the drama I have witnessed comes for trying to game the system and outsmart the locals, whether working or retired.  That tends to put people on the radar and make them vulnerable to lots of drama.

I do agree that some of us need to try to better understand others without being quite so condescending.????

• Like 1