My First two Years living in Thailand, the good bits v the not so good bits

Pilotman

18 hours ago, grollies said:

I really, really don't understand what the problem is with 90 day reporting. Every three months I get to visit Sri Racha, spend maximum 5 minutes at Immigration, say hello to the ladies there and grab a BK burger on the way back.

What's not to like and what's the problem?

I look at it this way: would I be happy as a UK citizen, living in the UK and the 'govt' asking all temporary immigrants from (e.g. Pakistan, Bangladesh, Thailand, wherever) to submit to 90 day reporting. Damn right I would. So, not a problem for me here.

These 90 day visa whinges are really boring, especially as (I believe) it can be done by post or online. <deleted>.

Like you said : Boring and Immigration do not get any money  as it is free ! Plus with all those useless photocopies and forms not good for the environment.

9 minutes ago, madmen said:
24 minutes ago, Kadilo said:
So you’re own attention seeking  “goodbye” flopped so you thought you would come and try and piss on someone else’s positive story. 
How very adult. 

That guy is a pathetic example of all that is wrong with many expats here

You one of the enlightened few then?

????

KP.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Pilotman said:

We had bought a lovely house 2 years prior to our move.  Again in retrospect maybe a mistake.  I would have preferred to rent for a year of two and then decide to buy.  I love the house and I am very happy here, but it was more luck than judgement.

I thought foreigners could not own a "house" property in Thailand? Condos are available to be bought on the 51/49 , though no "land" involved.  Have only been here several months full time. Personally not interested in driving, retirement to me means no more hassle with cars, car maintenance, car insurance, traffic, and parking.  Plenty of alternatives.  To each his own, good post.   

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Pilotman said:

I do worry about medical services here, but little else.

I have been flying here for holiday and using the medical and dental services since 2004, never had a worry or problem and saved myself enough to pay for much of the travel expenses.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Pilotman said:

Two years, so a good time to assess the decision to move here.   Maybe this will assist others who are near to relocating. 

My move here coincided with my retirement from  a very full and intense career,  in retrospect, a mistake I think. I wish that I had spent a small amount of time as a retired person in my home country before moving, maybe as much as a year or two.  This would have gained me some perspective and maybe avoided the twin mental hits of retirement and moving to a new country. We had bought a lovely house 2 years prior to our move.  Again in retrospect maybe a mistake.  I would have preferred to rent for a year of two and then decide to buy.  I love the house and I am very happy here, but it was more luck than judgement.  The visa issues , 90 day reports, extension of stay, consumed  my thoughts and made me feel very negative towards the authorities here and the petty rules.  But once I had done it all once and got my Thai driving licence sorted, it all calmed down.  Its not at all bad to deal with. The first 12 months here here is a bad time to make life changing decisions.  Ride it out and it does calm down.

I have got used to not being able to buy all the goods/foods/meds that I could in the UK.  I live with the fact that Chinese products are everywhere and are universally poor quality and last less than  you would  hope.  The roads here are a nightmare, but so are the roads in the UK and at least I can drive most places here without ending up in a traffic jam.  On the plus side, I like the weather. The expressway system here is outstandingly good, indeed, the whole road system is good. .  I love the countryside and the clean beaches (when I can find them). I love the culture.  I love our house and the pool. I do worry about medical services here, but little else. I am an impatient and normally  dissatisfied person by character,  Little it seems is ever good enough, but I am at least as happy in LOS as I would be anywhere else, and, on balance, probably this is the best place for me. 

Where in Thailand have you chosen to settle?   How many times did you visit Thailand before moving here?   You say we, did you come with your wife or partner?  How is she finding it?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

I thought foreigners could not own a "house" property in Thailand? Condos are available to be bought on the 51/49 , though no "land" involved.  Have only been here several months full time. Personally not interested in driving, retirement to me means no more hassle with cars, car maintenance, car insurance, traffic, and parking.  Plenty of alternatives.  To each his own, good post.   

You can own a house, just not own the land it's built on.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

Slight correction; foreigners can buy and own a condo but can't individually 'buy' a house.

They can't own the land.

However, there's plenty of foreigners that 'own' the land 'their' house stands on.

Edited by NanLaew

31 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

I have been flying here for holiday and using the medical and dental services since 2004, never had a worry or problem and saved myself enough to pay for much of the travel expenses.

Its not the 'run of the mill' issues that worry me, the hospitals are fine for them, if a tad expensive.  its the possibility of a big hit, cancer, heart issues etc.  The medical services are good, if you can afford them. I can, but I would hate to 'waste' the kid's inheritance on a major issue here that would have been free in the UK, but that is the choice you make when you move here. .   

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Slight correction; foreigners can buy and own a condo but can't individually 'buy' a house.

They can't own the land.

However, there's plenty of foreigners that 'own' the land 'their' house stands on.

That is not quite correct.

Thailand is one of the very few countries in SEA where foreigners can actually own land

in their own name, legally. But it is a lengthy and costly process.

(Houses they can buy)

There are also ways in which a foreigner legally can control land and house.

----

to op,

good you are comfortable

agree with you, would probably have been wise to be retired at home for a year or two

before moving, would have helped you to put things in perspective