My First two Years living in Thailand, the good bits v the not so good bits

Pilotman

28 minutes ago, madmen said:
33 minutes ago, HuskerDo said:
Please expand on that. Where did you hear/read it? Was there some sort of official announcement that it's under review?

Here on TV from the big joke. Untill it's official I would regard it as a big joke

I was asking RWILL but thanks.

Just hang on....it will only get worse with time....trust me....the whole system will wear you down....slowly.....I think it is the daily grind of things that will set you off.....sort of like water torture...you don't see it coming.....good luck and roll with the punches.....????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RocketDog said:

What he's drinking is a bitter cup of heavy sarcasm.

In the happy case that you've missed his copious and frequent whining, count yourself blessed. He's spent the last few days gloating over imminent quick exit from Thailand and, in his own words, "finding the guts" do it.

He mistakenly believes that the rest of us are in denial about living here, are miserable, but can't admit it to ourselves because we've not the intestinal fortitude he has. 

He's wrung about as much drama out of it as he can, even coyly teasing us about the hidden Shangri-la he's destined for post haste. As if anybody cares. 

Now if he would just find the "guts" to shut up and move on, I for one, would be thankful. 

Whoa, goes easy there....take a chill pill, relax and live your life....and be thankful....????

3 minutes ago, chicowoodduck said:

Just hang on....it will only get worse with time....trust me....the whole system will wear you down....slowly.....I think it is the daily grind of things that will set you off.....sort of like water torture...you don't see it coming.....good luck and roll with the punches.....????

Yet you continue to live there? Seems like a bit of a contradiction.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, garet said:

Without mass red shirt and yellow shirt protests, it's actually been easier to live here for the past few years. 

You must have checked-in after the big rodeo where BOTH Bangkok airports were closed. Back then, you really didn't have any options to leave.

9 hours ago, Pilotman said:

I live in the countryside, in Rayong Province, just on the border with Chon Buri Province, a good choice I think. close enough to everything, ...

Ah yes, (far) east Pattaya, right.

It is a good location.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HuskerDo said:

Yet you continue to live there? Seems like a bit of a contradiction.

It's called NOO or no other options. Primarily caused by BB or burned bridges but could have been forestalled or even eliminated with a bit of GOM or getting out more and having RC's or reality checks while all the time SFARD or saving for a rainy day instead of overdoing the TWN or two-week millionaire routine.

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, chicowoodduck said:

I have lived here longer than most and it continues to get better for me.????

• Like 2

I was asking RWILL but thanks.
He meant it was mentioned in an interview with the head of immigration (Big Joke) who stated he is working on amendments to current laws, one of which was abolishing 90 day reports.

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/featured/2019/01/16/superstar-cop-big-joke-on-his-rise-and-plans-for-expats-visas/

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 1/18/2019 at 6:59 PM, grollies said:

I really, really don't understand what the problem is with 90 day reporting. Every three months I get to visit Sri Racha, spend maximum 5 minutes at Immigration, say hello to the ladies there and grab a BK burger on the way back.

What's not to like and what's the problem?

I look at it this way: would I be happy as a UK citizen, living in the UK and the 'govt' asking all temporary immigrants from (e.g. Pakistan, Bangladesh, Thailand, wherever) to submit to 90 day reporting. Damn right I would. So, not a problem for me here.

These 90 day visa whinges are really boring, especially as (I believe) it can be done by post or online. <deleted>.

Totally agree, myself go to jomtien immi the other day, in and out within 5 minutes at the most, some people like to whinge just for the sake of it me thinks. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, thedemon said:

Yawn. In 25 years of buying and selling land in Thailand I have never heard of a single case where a foreigner was prosecuted for circumventing land ownership laws. Certainly hasn't happened to me.

Read hundreds of know-it-all posts like yours though.

Yawn. Just going by the law of the land I live in, but if you want to circumvent land ownership laws, up to you...........and those foreigners who have lost property/land/money by trying ways to circumvent the law certainly wouldn't agree with you.

Maybe they read know-it-all posts like yours and didn't research the legal websites.......

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, PAWNEESE said:

One of plus points of living in Thailand (or similar) as opposed to UK is there is no local tax here (that applies to me anyway) .. back home its based on the property you live in ( not own ).

In the UK I would be paying the equivalent of 13,500 baht a month just in "council tax".  So Im that amount up monthly. My tenent has to pay it not me. £336.09 a month in pounds. 

I know there is "free" health care etc etc. I had just not thought of that plus point till today when I researched the tax sum now for a new tenent. 

Gave me a warm glow .. mmmm how many "free" beers does that money give me.????????????

Maths not my strong point but 13,500 divided by 0.90 baht is only 15000 beers a month.

Jeez. Gonna have to try and make do I suppose. Or find cheaper beer.

You must be living in utopia if you can get beer for 90 satang

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, xylophone said:

Yawn. Just going by the law of the land I live in, but if you want to circumvent land ownership laws, up to you...........and those foreigners who have lost property/land/money by trying ways to circumvent the law certainly wouldn't agree with you.

Maybe they read know-it-all posts like yours and didn't research the legal websites.......

please provide a few links pertaining to "those foreigners" who lost... :coffee1:

• Like 1

22 hours ago, thedemon said:

Yawn. In 25 years of buying and selling land in Thailand I have never heard of a single case where a foreigner was prosecuted for circumventing land ownership laws. Certainly hasn't happened to me.

Read hundreds of know-it-all posts like yours though.

I'm assuming when the other shoe drops, you won't be posting about it on TV.

1 hour ago, Ctkong said:

I am not an expat yet but I have been visiting Thailand almost monthly for at least 25 years. 10-20 days at a time. I must say thailand with her warts and all, is still my planned retirement home in the future.  Thailand is not a Muslim country unlike Malaysia where I come from. There is no underlying current of racial tension ( other than the south part) and being a Buddhist , I find Thailand more conducive. Expats got to remember thailand is a developing country with her own way of governance with not enough altruistic people to help push through economic and social reforms . However, if you lower your expection , you will find thailand with her ‘sanuk’ culture and lack of political correctness really complements your laid back retirement lifestyle. My two cents worth. 

Well said CT, well said.

8 hours ago, kane666 said:

He meant it was mentioned in an interview with the head of immigration (Big Joke) who stated he is working on amendments to current laws, one of which was abolishing 90 day reports.

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/featured/2019/01/16/superstar-cop-big-joke-on-his-rise-and-plans-for-expats-visas/

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Thank you Kane. Good information and now I understand it was his father that gave him his nickname based on a certain card in the deck. I'm a fan of this guy. I believe him when it says.....

"Under his command, the bureau whose slogan proclaims “Good Guys In, Bad Guys Out,” will undergo several changes. Surachate said he’s drafting suggested amendments to the 1979 immigration law to make things smoother for expats seeking to reside, retire or work in the kingdom.

“I can guarantee it will be easy to apply and live here,” Surachate said. “[But] bad people will have a hard time.”

I'm glad he's incharge to weed out the folks that none of us want there.

On 1/19/2019 at 2:50 PM, Pilotman said:

I live in the countryside, in Rayong Province, just on the border with Chon Buri Province, a good choice I think. close enough to everything,  but far enough away to avoid the crowds. I have been visiting Thailand for around 35 years.  My Thai wife and I married some 21 years ago and so she is delighted after so many years living outside the country, to be back home. Interestingly, she misses the UK a lot more than I ever do, curios that.  

Sounds like you've settled in well.  I first came to Thailand (Phuket) in around 1976 when I was 9 years old (with my parents of course) and then on and off over the years until  in 2008 when I was headhunted from Hong Kong to work here.  I live in Bangkok and I'm too much of a city person to ever want to move into the countryside, at least not while I'm still young and enjoying a very active party lifestyle.  
I originally only came here for a year and the plan then was to move back home to Hong Kong, but circumstances changed and I've been here 10 years and have made Bangkok my home now.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Naam said:

please provide a few links pertaining to "those foreigners" who lost... :coffee1:

Well you have been around long enough to have read the stories regarding property/money losses, with the main reason being that foreigners try to "own" land by setting up various structures such as Thai Nominee companies and even convoluted share structures thus leaving themselves open to fraud and/or losing everything, such as these poor guys...............

Below is a link to two of the most “famous” cases in Phuket, plus a statement from the Phuket ant-corruption head who states that “there are many foreigners who have filed cases……..

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-34346620

Cases of Ian Rance and Colin Vard

"There are many foreigners who have filed cases similar to Ian Rance," says Surin Bumrungphol, who heads the Phuket Anti-Corruption Network

Since I started working on this story a number of foreigners have contacted me to tell me about their experience of different kinds of (property) fraud on Phuket”. Jonathan Head.

Then there are those I have read about on Thaivisa and others elsewhere.

For obvious reasons I cannot name the friend who lost his villa here (or another friend who has sold his house at a big loss for similar reasons), but all of these have one thing in common……..because a foreigner cannot own land here (except in very rare cases) they “buy” using Nominee Companies/wives/sham set-ups and therefore leave themselves open to fraud and theft, many times with the lawyers being involved, and not in a good way either.

But as I stated earlier, I don't want to hi-jack this thread, so back on topic would be the best move I believe.

3 hours ago, xylophone said:

But as I stated earlier, I don't want to hi-jack this thread, so back on topic would be the best move I believe.

i agree because you could not provide a single case concerning foreigners expropriated using since several decades the "accepted" route of a Thai company to enjoy for a limited time a house. what you have listed were fraudulent procedures involving Thai wives/partners of foreigners teaming up with criminal lawyers.

Well you have been around long enough to have read the stories regarding property/money losses, with the main reason being that foreigners try to "own" land by setting up various structures such as Thai Nominee companies

yes, stories and fairy tales. :coffee1:

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Naam said:

i agree because you could not provide a single case concerning foreigners expropriated using since several decades the "accepted" route of a Thai company to enjoy for a limited time a house. what you have listed were fraudulent procedures involving Thai wives/partners of foreigners teaming up with criminal lawyers.

Certainly owning land through a company is one of the good bits and the topic of this thread.  I don't see how that would be hi jacking except you might have disagreed with a less informed poster.  

7 minutes ago, Naam said:

In all cases, I have seen (and I saw one of my friends lose 4 million last year), it has always been the girlfriend teaming up with a lawyer, to take full advantage of such situations. 

On 1/20/2019 at 9:57 AM, villagefarang said:

I have lived here longer than most and it continues to get better for me.

Yeah, I got to admit the first few were a bit rough but now, each year has been getting better and it certain fore-shadows the company you hang around.

46 minutes ago, Naam said:

I don't think you are stupid, but you certainly missed the point which was that BECAUSE the expats were not allowed to own land, they went down the Thai nominee/wife route which laid them open to fraud.

As for the "accepted" route...............well read the Thai legal websites. And that was my original point, that foreigners are not allowed to own land in Thailand (with just a rare exception).

And the two cases I quoted were not "stories or fairy tales" but real events :coffee1: