Rival groups demonstrate in Thailand as election tensions grow

rooster59

4 minutes ago, HalfLight said:

Maybe I can help with this. Parasite-like in this instance means a total acquisition of the work of someone else, without effort or contribution. Like a leech.

It's disappointing that someone who pretends to understand a culture and civilisation actually understands so little, but hey, not my problem.

So how are Thais parasites?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, bannork said:

So how are Thais parasites?

Read the post and my expansion on the term -parasite-like again, and it should be plain. If not then I can't help you. Stooping to conquer isn't my style, I prefer people who stand tall and say what they think and why, and who do not try to conceal their inadequacy.

Still, each to his own...

8 minutes ago, bannork said:

More nonsense, keep trying to be clever.

Is everything that appears in your field of vision that you don't immediately understand "nonsense" to you?  Or merely an attempt to be clever?  Wow, just wow.

If I don't understand a reference, I take comfort in the fact that most Google searches take about 20 seconds and I'll know something new and perhaps useful.

I don't even know what to say at this point.

Just now, ramr said:

Is everything that appears in your field of vision that you don't immediately understand "nonsense" you?  Or merely an attempt to be clever?  Wow, just wow.

If I don't understand a reference, I take comfort in the fact that most Google searches take about 20 seconds and I'll know something new and perhaps useful.

I don't even know what to say at this point.

Say nothing

Okay HalfLight, here is your post  about parasites:

History shows that the migration of principles and management techniques have resulted in the civilisation we have now. Thailand has benefitted greatly, perhaps parasite-like from the democracies in other countries. Setting aside the comment from a previous head-boy that Thailand should 'Take everything from the foreigners and give nothing back', Thailand must admit that it benefits greatly - also perhaps parasite-like from being accepted at the big table of grown-up nations.

Thailand badly needs to grow a few clues about their true place in the world. Then perhaps they'll stop all the 'we're great' BS. If they act now, they still won't be great but perhaps they won't be quite so pissant.

Firstly How has Thailand benefited parasite like from democracies in other countries?

Secondly, what is this big table of grown-up nations that Thailand has again benefited from parasite like?

19 minutes ago, HalfLight said:

Not really. In fact not at all, but I understand why feeling threatened by what someone writes should cause you to rush to find something which prevents you from having to think about it. Besides, the Dunning-Kruger Effect only applies if the superiority is illusory, not if it is real or self-evident. In this case, it clearly doesn't apply, but it is a nice if fatuous try.

It must be really frustrating, being so transparent and easily understood. No real effort required.

Um, you do realize I wasn't referring to you, yes?  I was talking to you *about* bannork and thought your "2/10" comment was amusing.  I blame my non-standard quoting etiquette for the misunderstanding, but I figured--given thread context--it would be, er, self-evident who I was talking about.

1 hour ago, ramr said:

Um, you do realize I wasn't referring to you, yes?  I was talking to you *about* bannork and thought your "2/10" comment was amusing.  I blame my non-standard quoting etiquette for the misunderstanding, but I figured--given thread context--it would be, er, self-evident who I was talking about.

hmmm

In Thai usage, the word 'Bannork' (however one chooses to spell it), is used in respect of someone who isn't very bright. Which makes it an unfortunate choice of nom-de-plume I suppose.

Still, if the shoe fits... wouldn't be my choice but then it doesn't have to be, I'm an Aussie, I already have enough problems to get by with.

1 hour ago, ramr said:

Apologies if I got it wrong... it wasn't clear, or I wasn't paying attention or something. It happens sometimes and after all, it's only a game.

18 minutes ago, HalfLight said:

hmmm

In Thai usage, the word 'Bannork' (however one chooses to spell it), is used in respect of someone who isn't very bright. Which makes it an unfortunate choice of nom-de-plume I suppose.

Still, if the shoe fits... wouldn't be my choice but then it doesn't have to be, I'm an Aussie, I already have enough problems to get by with.

You most certainly do have enough problems to be going on with. Your attitude towards Thai people is appalling.

bannork means upcountry which is the Thailand that I love.

Here's a song by Sunaree Ratchasima called Better to Live Upcountry.

21 minutes ago, bannork said:

You most certainly do have enough problems to be going on with. Your attitude towards Thai people is appalling.

bannork means upcountry which is the Thailand that I love.

Here's a song by Sunaree Ratchasima called Better to Live Upcountry.

Excellent, a Thai song. Thank you so much. Excellent. Bound to be a classic, a world best-seller.

Pass.

Denotaion/connotation, I was referring to the way the word is used in Thai, not to the literal meaning. Like if I call - well *you* a muppet, I don't really mean you're a Kermit or a Gonzo, I would mean you're a clown. Just an illustration, of course I wouldn't really be so rude.

Your attitude towards Thai people is appalling.

Ouch that hurts...

thais are slow to realize they are nothing more than stupid peasants in the eye of the government that thinks they arent smart enough to topple a government. I believe that... Piss and moan with stupid illegal banners but it will do nothing. Thais should blame themselves for letting this happen. Governments got more usless tanks now that are only good for crowd control in the 21st century.

Thailands destroyed already. Its a Thais, greed, culture, etc that is to blame. The viscous circle of corrupt oppressing governments will end up being just one in my mind for a very long time... Hope im wrong.

7 hours ago, HalfLight said:

Apologies if I got it wrong... it wasn't clear, or I wasn't paying attention or something. It happens sometimes and after all, it's only a game.

No problems there; everyone processes differently and misunderstandings will happen, especially with multi-page/-poster threads.  I'm laughing now at how silly I must have looked reading your original response something like six times slowly before I figured out what must have happened.  I actually felt a bit like I'd briefly stepped into a parallel dimension or something similar.

1 minute ago, ramr said:

No problems there; everyone processes differently and misunderstandings will happen, especially with multi-page/-poster threads.  I'm laughing now at how silly I must have looked reading your original response something like six times slowly before I figured out what must have happened.  I actually felt a bit like I'd briefly stepped into a parallel dimension or something similar.

Looking around myself today, and reading some of the posts on TV, I wonder if some parallel dimension might not be a good choice. I can hardly believe what Thailand and Thais do sometimes, and I can hardly believe what some posters (who probably consider themselves intelligent commentators) actually write. It can't be what they really think... surely?

1 hour ago, HalfLight said:

Excellent, a Thai song. Thank you so much. Excellent. Bound to be a classic, a world best-seller.

Pass.

Denotaion/connotation, I was referring to the way the word is used in Thai, not to the literal meaning. Like if I call - well *you* a muppet, I don't really mean you're a Kermit or a Gonzo, I would mean you're a clown. Just an illustration, of course I wouldn't really be so rude.

Your attitude towards Thai people is appalling.

Ouch that hurts...

I presume you mean denotation.

I'm still waiting for you to explain your remarks about Thais being parasites. Instead you go off on a ramble about my avatar and get in a muddle with your sidekick ramr about who is talking to whom. Hilarious, you two really are the clowns here.

I suggest you stick to the topic: conflicts between rival groups before the election.

1 minute ago, bannork said:

I presume you mean denotation.

I'm still waiting for you to explain your remarks about Thais being parasites. Instead you go off on a ramble about my avatar and get in a muddle with your sidekick ramr about who is talking to whom. Hilarious, you two really are the clowns here.

I suggest you stick to the topic: conflicts between rival groups before the election.

*yawn*

Don't forget to take your meds

Not that I really care.

43 minutes ago, unamazedloso said:

thais are slow to realize they are nothing more than stupid peasants in the eye of the government that thinks they arent smart enough to topple a government. I believe that... Piss and moan with stupid illegal banners but it will do nothing. Thais should blame themselves for letting this happen. Governments got more usless tanks now that are only good for crowd control in the 21st century.

Thailands destroyed already. Its a Thais, greed, culture, etc that is to blame. The viscous circle of corrupt oppressing governments will end up being just one in my mind for a very long time... Hope im wrong.

In one sense of the word, they do "deserve" the government they have and it's perfectly understandable why the destructive cycle continues.  In another sense, though, I feel the Thai people also deserve a LOT better from their government leaders and policy-makers.

41 minutes ago, HalfLight said:

Looking around myself today, and reading some of the posts on TV, I wonder if some parallel dimension might not be a good choice. I can hardly believe what Thailand and Thais do sometimes, and I can hardly believe what some posters (who probably consider themselves intelligent commentators) actually write. It can't be what they really think... surely?

I sometimes think Thailand itself IS the parallel dimension.  I get similar feelings when I read about life in North Korea as well, at least in terms of it being a largely closed-loop system with a near-perfect system of thought control through (mis)education run for the benefit of the the few.  It's just a question of degree.

Before I get flamed into oblivion, let me be just be clear I'm speaking in broad strokes and that I think there are Western countries and (nominal) democracies that could be said to fit this pattern as well in some ways...again, just a question of degree.

Power just seems to have this tendency to corrupt humans...across governments and cultures.  Some cultures (and perhaps accidents of history) seem to exacerbate this tendency more than others.

2 hours ago, ramr said:

I sometimes think Thailand itself IS the parallel dimension.  I get similar feelings when I read about life in North Korea as well, at least in terms of it being a largely closed-loop system with a near-perfect system of thought control through (mis)education run for the benefit of the the few.  It's just a question of degree.

Before I get flamed into oblivion, let me be just be clear I'm speaking in broad strokes and that I think there are Western countries and (nominal) democracies that could be said to fit this pattern as well in some ways...again, just a question of degree.

Power just seems to have this tendency to corrupt humans...across governments and cultures.  Some cultures (and perhaps accidents of history) seem to exacerbate this tendency more than others.

I fully agree. It's a reality distortion zone.

23 minutes ago, HalfLight said:

I fully agree. It's a reality distortion zone.

YES-it really is a reality distortion zone.

I had a few friends in Thailand who hit the 'event horizon' at warp speed.Their re-introduction to reality was not a happy event.

Ever  noticed how many posters on TVF become angry and abusive when somebody announces that they have discovered the exit?

I am going to leave the forever forthcoming elections (and all the flapdoodle) to the Thai for they do flapdoodle so very,very well..

8 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

YES-it really is a reality distortion zone.

I had a few friends in Thailand who hit the 'event horizon' at warp speed.Their re-introduction to reality was not a happy event.

Ever  noticed how many posters on TVF become angry and abusive when somebody announces that they have discovered the exit?

I am going to leave the forever forthcoming elections (and all the flapdoodle) to the Thai for they do flapdoodle so very,very well..

Don't they just? Flapdoodle... last time I heard that word used it was by an elderly Russian lady who wrote some good books..

10/10 friend, 10/10 and 12/10 if you know who the Russian lady was.

3 minutes ago, HalfLight said:

Don't they just? Flapdoodle... last time I heard that word used it was by an elderly Russian lady who wrote some good books..

10/10 friend, 10/10 and 12/10 if you know who the Russian lady was.

Madame Blavatsky?

She would have done well here....????

3 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

Madame Blavatsky?

She would have done well here....????

Well I'll be damned... It most certainly was HPB, and yes, she'd have had a barnstorming time with some of the more loutish ones... I used to be the proud possessor of her 2 major works... but that is reminiscing. Any more should be by PM.

10 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

It's a very common reaction to somebody cracking the eggshell of the universe they live in. Understandable, as they've often managed to brainwash themselves, some even unassisted, a remarkable feat that they do not want forcibly reversed. Of course, as time goes, eventually they'll swallow the red pill..

red-pill-300x300.jpg

On 1/20/2019 at 12:46 PM, madmen said:
On 1/20/2019 at 12:40 PM, sjaak327 said:
Which explains your post fully. Always suspected it was bar stool nonsense, you now provided proof.

Sent from my SM-J730F using Tapatalk

Bar stool? What part of the bar I left did you not understand. And that explains why your posts are so confusing , your comprehension is woeful!

LOL, nothing wrong with my comprehension. Leaving a bar implies one was in a bar. Carry on with your nonsense. By the way, the 30 referred to the countrer demonstration, the people demonstrating for quick election were in the few hundreds according to the article. You can't even read the article properly or so it seems….

with hundreds of people demanding quick elections to end military rule and a much smaller group of pro-junta supporters saying it was too soon for a vote.

On 1/19/2019 at 8:28 PM, Eligius said:

Yes, that is exactly what I noticed immediately - just 'hundreds' of demonstrators, and in fact described as 'tiny' numbers (in comparison with the 2014 demos). Moreover, they are not even calling for a February 24 election - but a March 10th one!

This, and the small numbers, will not help.

In fact, the tiny turnout makes postponement more likely.

The only thing that can save the day is MASSES AND MASSES - MILLIONS - of Thais displaying peaceful non-cooperation (not paltry 'hundreds').

But when masses and masses hit the streets how will the boys with guns respond? I'm sure it will be a good time for you and I (and any other light skinned round eyed individuals) to stay off the streets.

Archived