7,000 chosen as outstanding ‘One Tambon, One Quality Schools’

snoop1130

By The Nation

99d7395c9c5a6bdf83cafdfac120bde6.jpeg

A total of 7,000 schools have been selected as “One Tambon, One Quality School” outstanding tambon-level schools by the Office of Basic Education Commission (Obec), in line with the government’s policy to promote equity in access to quality education, Obec secretary-general Boonrak Yodphetch said on Monday.

The scheme also saw the signing of a memorandum of understanding at Government House between Obec and the Energy Ministry, the Natural Resources and Environment Ministry and the Industry Ministry.

The purpose of the memorandum is to enable these outstanding tambon-level schools to become truly community schools that arrange teaching and learning in the local context, Boonrak said.

The 7,000 schools, whose names will be released later, were selected after considering their preparedness in terms of building facility and support from the private sector, he said, adding that the scheme would allow more useful projects to be implemented to boost equity in students' access to education.

These include the “English for All” project, which aims to have Thai pupils capable of using English well within 10 years, based on early-childhood teaching of the language by foreign teachers who will emphasise youngsters’ communication skills.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30362657

— The Nation 2019-01-21

It does the heart good to live in a country where education is so highly valued and cultivated - and where no efforts or pains are spared to teach really excellent and useful English. 

I see the results of all this phenomenal education (especially in English) every single day. Well done, Thai junta. Hats off to you!

19 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

And who is that man standing at centre stage? Is it really him or just a cardboard look-a-like?

Clowns to the left and jokers to the right but Thailand is stuck in the middle with me. (thanks Gerry Rafferty)

" ...teaching and learning in the local context..."

The only thing that is taught and learned of any context in the Thai public school system is to obey and please whomever is in charge. Students are subjected to rote memory, and conditioned to accept whatever they are told. The only answer that matters is the answer their teachers expect. No matter how invalid or inaccurate the answer is. They are never exposed to critical thinking and deductive reasoning. I have been with Master's level graduates who have no idea how to solve queries. When they ask me a question and I ask for more information, they have no idea that the information is necessary to solve the problem. It appears that they believe "smart" people are born knowing the answers. Forget about multi-tasking. At best, many, if not most, graduates are trained to do one thing, and if presented with information outside of that task, they become confused.

This is not a result of low innate intelligence. It is purely a matter of being conditioned by their culture.

Archived