For better or worse? Expats think Thailand is going down the pan, poll

webfact

13 hours ago, Booboo101 said:

As for prices, I have a nice pool villa, no mortgage, my electric is 1,500 a month, water 80 baht,  1,000 a month on diesel and my lunch every day is 60 baht, I don’t know anywhere in the world I could live like this !

Ahem. A "Villa" is at least four bedrooms with full AC. Electric around 9k baht/month in cold season, water 1600. Not a banoork concrete block with fans.

12 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

It's funny. After living so many years in Singapore and Thailand, I now really appreciate seasons.

In my younger days, that Singaporean all year climate was so appealing. 

Now looking out on crispy snow, but with the prospect of a gorgeous summer, seems idyllic 

I still don't. Winter and snow are hell on earth. Minimum survivable temperature is 30 DegC.

10 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

You need better sources. 

578391cc88e4a74e018b7040-750-4780.thumb.jpg.099c68f385682b686a595568fbefff41.jpg

netflix-catalogs.pdf

Ok so I tried the expressvpn and did a US account. Found only a few series and movies (Avengers Infinity war, black panther, Colony) that aren't in the TH version, I compared them side by side on two monitors. Luckily 30day trial on both expressvpn and netflix, won't be subscribing further.

The arrival of non-Thai streaming services is a boon, even after lobotomy Thai TV brings on suicidal thoughts. Booooiiinngngng!!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Probably because Thais don't have friends. Their Thai family take the place of our western friends concept. I think they have it right, and we western people have it wrong.

It's possible to have both of course. I value family over friends as well and the extended family culture is something I really like. Unfortunately with urbanization Thais are loosing that one, too.

12 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Yeah but the beauty is you're not constantly worried about the ever changing visa rules, also the visas are free. I'm at the point now where i don't know if i'll get back into the country !   Not a good way to live....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wobalt said:

Thailand has never done anything for their expats, only trying to control and monitoring. Every long term expat is per se a criminal, they think

I think it was better in 70-80's, PR was easier to get. Now it's like being monitored in a high security insane asylum. Only difference is the doctors are the insane ones.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, oldrunner said:

Thailand is what you make of it. Get ripped off in bars ? or bar girls?; get out of the bars; dirty beaches?, move to clean beach areas; on and on. I've seen most all, both good and bad. Many of the old timers are gone, only talked about by those of us left. Mostly good memories, especially as regards Thai Police, 200 Baht maximum fines (not many anyhow); Cute caddies. Budget yourself, have good medical insurance, and most important, have a great Thai wife and her clan.

'Get ripped off in bars ? or bar girls?; get out of the bars; dirty beaches?, move to clean beach areas; on and on.'

I agree in part.  Yet, I reckon someone with enough gumption to move could well conclude that it is not enough to move to a different town, but to a different country. 

Thailand has really lost its edge imo, and is also not so cheap any more.

Edited by mommysboy
  • Like 1

I recently holidayed in Ubon Ratchatani and found the price of everything to be growing. I've been going there for 20 years and while inflation is normal it makes me wonder how the local's can sustain themselves. I have seen a desire to return to their farmlands but this is only an option for a small percentage of Thai's. I do hope to retire to Ubon one day but the Political climate and the way the Police conduct their business is of great concern.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

Lawlessness?  Ha ha.  This lady worked for the Yanks in Northern Thailand and around.  She was lawless personified.  Much safer now. 

warlady.jpg

Interesting character, for those that don't know how to right click and do a google image search: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/21/world/asia/burmese-warlord-olive-yang.html

An it's relevant as the Thai sticks might be making a comeback - who knows, maybe in the nearby future we'll be chasing dragons again.

Edited by DrTuner

On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 12:03 PM, pattayadgw said:

I've lived/been based here over 20 years with my first visit here at 21 years of age in 1976.  What we were promised when the junta took the reins has turned out very different but not surprisingly so, as we all know.  Corruption hasn't changed, they've just added more hats to the crew of collectors. The prices of items have risen considerably in all areas of the country, but particularly so in the tourist areas.  It's a different world here to what it was but at the same time its not so different. For us old hands that have made it our home for so long now and with us not getting any younger, it makes any move elsewhere a huge event in our lives and one that most of us don't want to face.  If BJ could lay out a reasonable new set of visa rules / regs, 98% of expats will follow these as most of us have done all along. BJ has to think about the many of us who have spent the best part of our lives here and poured cash into the system as well.  MANY OF US ARE NOT THE "RICH" farangs, we're workers and savers of our hard earned cash outside of the Kingdom and should be given some consideration when any new visa rules come about. WE ARE NOT GANGSTERS, WE ARE NO SCAMPSTERS we just normal people who want a quiet simple life with no headaches.  Give us a break... PLEASE!!! 

Well said that man !    "Give us a break...Please" 

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I don't respect anyone, but I'm superficially polite to everyone.

The Thais are generally the same, superficially polite to me.

Yes, this strategy works. Of course if they start trying to scam, I'll quickly ream them a new one, ever so politely. Learned the techniques from Thais, fairly effective and especially effective with people who have no knowledge of the "Land of Smiles". Suckers.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, xylophone said:

Well I don't frequent the open markets and haven't done for years after a few visits to one here and a few up north, and describing what I found.

I'll stick with Tops, Villa Market etc for my regular shopping here, anyway didn't like Chiang Mai, but Chiang Rai I thought was quite lovely. 

IMHO Rimping is more upmarket than Tops. I prefer Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai in terms of variety of restaurants and better infrastructure.

Chiang Rai has a lot of development going on. I feel it is the preferred conduit for the Chinese coming down from Laos via Luang Prabang. It is also a better launch point for places such as Phu Chi Fa, Doi Ang Khan, Doi Mae Salong and the Mekong.

It's not hard to pick which stalls in the daily markets to avoid, and which ones to buy at. The ones that have Thais clustered around them are the ones to go to.

I've never had food poisoning from anything I have bought at my local daily market. On the other hand, I was throwing up for about 8 hours after consuming a pre-packaged meal from one of the supermarkets you mention.

On 1/25/2019 at 12:08 PM, Odysseus123 said:

That is incorrect.

In fact my food bill for fresh meat and vegetables is less in Australia.

My electricity costs are just the same.

Prices for cheeses and dairy products  are much lower.

Average cost of shopping for the month (western food) if you cook at home is $200 lower.

The quality is much higher.

Plus you don't have to spew your lungs out breathing in all that Thai fresh air.

Where are you living in Australia?  I confess I left Australia 6.5 years ago to move here, because it was getting too expensive to live there.  Thailand may not be as cheap now as it was then, but I'm pretty sure that the cost of things has not gone down in Australia in the time I have been away and Thailand is way cheaper still.  Electricity, water, fresh vegetables etc etc etc.  Much cheaper here.  Actually I had a couple of friends from Australia visit recently and they couldn't believe how cheap the majority of stuff was, compared to where they live in Brisbane.  They laughed when I told them my rent for a nice two bedroom house was 15000 per month, my water bill was 46 baht and my electricity bill was around 1500 baht.  And before you say it, if I want the air-con on, I turn it on.  I reckon I could run it 24 hours a day and my electricity bill would be less than my average one in Australia 6.5 years ago.   

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mikosan said:

Where are you living in Australia?  I confess I left Australia 6.5 years ago to move here, because it was getting too expensive to live there.  Thailand may not be as cheap now as it was then, but I'm pretty sure that the cost of things has not gone down in Australia in the time I have been away and Thailand is way cheaper still.  Electricity, water, fresh vegetables etc etc etc.  Much cheaper here.  Actually I had a couple of friends from Australia visit recently and they couldn't believe how cheap the majority of stuff was, compared to where they live in Brisbane.  They laughed when I told them my rent for a nice two bedroom house was 15000 per month, my water bill was 46 baht and my electricity bill was around 1500 baht.  And before you say it, if I want the air-con on, I turn it on.  I reckon I could run it 24 hours a day and my electricity bill would be less than my average one in Australia 6.5 years ago.   

It is true that housing and bills are much cheaper in Thailand, but don't forget wages are lower here (may not be an issue for you).  Also, you are walking away from a great health package, which costs 60-100k per year in Thailand, has limitations, and stops in old age.  Someone with a family in Thailand will also likely be paying for education, even when it is not up to Oz standards.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

Someone with a family in Thailand will also likely be paying for education, even when it is not up to Oz standards.

No, it's almost free for Thai citizens, I have to pay around 4k/year for my 7 year olds school 'extras', in the UK that wouldn't even cover his school shoes. As for Oz standards, lowest in the western world, I know a guy that left school without being able to read and write. Just look at the number of posters who write 'loosers' when they mean 'losers', all Australians.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

No, it's almost free for Thai citizens, I have to pay around 4k/year for my 7 year olds school 'extras', in the UK that wouldn't even cover his school shoes.

Maybe you are lucky and have found a good state school for your child in Thailand. I think that would be very lucky though. Most state schools are really bad.  Even a notch above probably means 50k a year, and much more for a school comparable with what is in the UK (Oz).

(4k in extras in UK- I hope you are pricing that in baht)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I don't respect anyone, but I'm superficially polite to everyone.

The Thais are generally the same, superficially polite to me.

Well, if you haven't met anyone yet who is worthy of your respect, you've missed out big-time. In my opinion. I agree about the superficial politeness, though I straight up refuse point blank to return a 'wai'. Stupid bloody ritual (copied from another culture - as is normal with Thais), and it means not a damn thing. Mind you, i'm older than most of them anyway so tradition says a return 'wai' is not expected, even though that tradition seems more honoured in the breach than the observance.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, HalfLight said:

I agree about the superficial politeness, though I straight up refuse point blank to return a 'wai'. Stupid bloody ritual (copied from another culture - as is normal with Thais), and it means not a damn thing.

It does have a meaning, acts as an indicator of your position in the Thai pissing contest. I see myself above such petty sakdinas and expect Thais to respond to my nod & growl with a bollywood style wai high above their heads. Tail wagging is optional.

Edited by DrTuner

21 hours ago, Cereal said:

I've been in Laos for 13 years. Thailand had it beat on most fronts for a long time, but as it seems to be back-stepping while Laos is progressing, Thailand no longer has the lead. In my humble opinion anyway.

I just wish we had ocean front and beaches.......

Cereal - I'm always very interested when someone mentions Laos, as there is very little information on TVF about what it's like to live there.

Can you give some information about it - including what cities/areas you recommend?

(Was going to pm you but it seems you are not setup for receiving them).

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

Actually funny but you  have a small view of reality.

Of course this is about Thailand, but I worked in the supermarket industry for a few years in the US.  You would be shocked at all the critters and filth in the storage areas of those places. 

Everything you are talking about and more...

I probably wouldn't, having worked in some right sh1tholes around the world...........try Nigeria at the end of the Biafran war if you want "food with a difference", but the rats, cockroaches and dead fish here were in the main shopping area of the place I mentioned.

Food storage areas are renowned for pests, but the main shopping area???????????

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DrTuner said:

It does have a meaning, acts as an indicator of your position in the Thai pissing contest. I see myself above such petty sakdinas and expect Thais to respond to my nod & growl with a bollywood style wai high above their heads. Tail wagging is optional.

LOL

Man after my own heart. Nod and growl. Perfect. A cursory muttered-under-the-breath "far queue" being optional but satisfying in the face of insincerity...

Actually it is, at least the guy in Cambodia knows what he's doing...
Surely you jest. Democracy is all but gone. Try Google regarding the grim political and human rights outlook

And then there is the harsh reality of placing yourself in a True 3rd world muck!

I'm guessing you live there Already so the rose glasses are on

Why leave thailand if your not going to better it?

1 hour ago, SupermarineS6B said:

Yeah but the beauty is you're not constantly worried about the ever changing visa rules, also the visas are free. I'm at the point now where i don't know if i'll get back into the country !   Not a good way to live....

Visa rules haven't changed for me in 20 years. 

• Like 1