No escaping smog until long-term measures initiated, say experts

webfact

No escaping smog until long-term measures initiated, say experts

By Pratch Rujivanarom 
The Nation 

176d624df8e243ba26ad39db8f5b24e5-sld.jpe

The smog is here to stay, unless the government puts people’s well-being ahead of economic development and pursues long-term strict pollution control measures, academics warned.

Environmental experts said though it was too late now for the authorities to prevent health impacts from the severe current seasonal smog and people have to take care of themselves, all related official agencies needed to get serious about tackling the air pollution problem.

They called for a road map to create a Pollutant Release and Transfer Register (PRTR) and study the pollution-carrying capacity of each area, to prevent the recurrence of smog in the future.

Tanapon Phenrat, an environmental researcher at the Faculty of Engineering Naresuan University, said if we want to end the hazardous smog problem for good, every stakeholder, especially the official agencies, must face up to the truth that the serious air pollution problem from very fine dust particulate matter – PM2.5 – has been a threat to the public’s health for a long time. And no one has an idea on the source of these harmful PM2.5.

“Even though we can guess the primary sources of air pollution, and many experts have come out with scientific speculations on the possible sources of smog, we have to admit that there is no academic research at all that clearly determines the components of Bangkok’s smog or the extent of each source’s pollution emission amount to the overall pollution in the air,” Tanapon said.

He pointed out that as we aim to sustainably solve the air pollution problem, the authorities needed to implement long-term measures to determine the sources of pollution, monitor the emission at each source, and control the pollution emission at the source.

“Therefore, all related agencies need to work together to set up a PRTR system to let all stakeholders see a big picture of the real-time situation of pollution generation and emission,” he stressed.

“This will make it easier for the pollution control agencies to set out the strategy and enforce legal actions against the major polluters to mitigate air pollution before people get sick.” 

0e75cd769834ddd8c16d23d76a26a004.jpeg

He also suggested that the authorities should study the carrying capacity of each locality to determine the ability of the area to cope with pollution. The Environmental Impact Assessment consideration process should be reformed to include an examination of the overall environmental impact from every project in the area, not just judging within that specific project. This can prevent pollution problems caused by poor planning.

Tanapon saidnsisted that even though his suggestions required many tough measures such as obligating all industries to install PM2.5 measuring devices at every factory chimney, enforcing stricter car fuel standard, or upgrading the safe limit for the pollution emission to international standard, this would be the wiser choice for the country in the long run.

“As of now we are equipped with all necessary technologies and legal approaches to implement my suggestions in reality,” he said.

“But as executing tough environmental protection measures can slow down investment and economic growth, the government must put the environment and people’s well-being first. In the long term, the country can get much more economic benefit from ensuring a healthy society than only prioritising economic development.”

Another leading environmental health expert, Sonthi Kotchawat, said that though air pollution was not new for Bangkok, the authorities had failed to mitigate the problem while public awareness on this issue had overwhelmingly increased. Sonthi said the authorities had no choice but to reform their strategy to fight air pollution.

“This year, the people will have to take care of themselves until the end of the smog season, but if the government fails to cope with smog again next year, the people will not just pick up their facemasks and carry on,” Sonthi said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30363045

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-01-28
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, leeneeds said:

as I passed the big golden buddha driving up the long hill

Was he driving on the left or the right? Interested to see whether Buddha himself knows which is lawfully correct.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Environmental experts said though it was too late now for the authorities to prevent health impacts from the severe current seasonal smog and people have to take care of themselves

There you have it folks.... wear your masks for the rest of your lives if you wanna live another few years in Thailand

• Like 1

Ossy, I thought you were talking about LA California, when I read your comment.... Oops

sorry wrong forum. I guess the 10 million plus people in Bangkok with all the old buses, trucks,

and the millions of motorcycles do not help out matters. Been to Bejieng, or any other huge cities lately? Lots of pollution around the world in the cities, even LA or Sydney when the weather pattern traps the bad air in.

Geezer

• Like 2

Whilst most experts and posters will accept that 'imported' pollution, from agricultural smoke and quarrying (etc., etc.) dust, probably adds to Bangkok's problem, I am convinced that it is largely due to the vast number of private vehicles (3.5 million in 2010 and increasing frighteningly quickly), either racing or crawling along the city's struggling road network and, more often than not, carrying just the driver. A 2 or 3 litre engine, mostly diesel, carrying one person, cannot compare favourably with a bus, of probably 7 litre capacity, carrying 40 or 50 or more people. Public transport, frequent, fast, clean and cheap, has to be the answer when you see just one large vehicle, driving along the same stretch of road as 40 or 50 cars and pickups.

London tackled the congestion problem ages ago with the £11.50 congestion charge and it is now about to introduce the so-called T-charge (a pollution charge), of £10 (per day) for each vehicle identified in the city centre.

Surely, this would be the answer in Bangkok, too. This report gives the true picture of Bangkok's 'Mission Impossible' pollution problem, unless some brave and proactive government has the balls to make some draconian changes to road use legislation.

https://unhabitat.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/GRHS.2013.Case_.Study_.Bangkok.Thailand.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, newnative said:

Duh.  Nothing like stating the obvious.  No, it's not going to fix itself.  So, stop talking and start doing.

Yes to the doing but the problem with humans is they will either do the easiest thing or the most profitable thing. Not necessarily the right thing.

• Like 1

"... road map to create a Pollutant Release and Transfer Register (PRTR)... to prevent the recurrence of smog in the future."

Lots of conjectures and rhetoric now, but once the weather pattern changes i.e. wind picks up, perhaps with widespread rain etc. the haze will be gone and everything will go back to being same-same, everyone will forget the haze, until it comes around again. I doubt anything will change.

• Like 2

PM2.5 – has been a threat to the public’s health for a long time. And no one has an idea on the source of these harmful PM2.5.

Why do they not check about land clearing by fire in their own provinces and also of Cambodia? They might find some clues on it.

• Like 1

People complain every year about early spring in Chiang Mai, and no one ever does anything. And probably no one will in our lifetimes.  Just the way it is in Thailand.  

After I got a really bad case of bronchitis one year in CM, I decided I'd leave every spring.  And so I have.  That case of bronchitis lasted from March until June.  Of course no one can say for sure the CM air was why I got it, but I'd never had it before, and never since.

51 minutes ago, Ossy said:

Whilst most experts and posters will accept that 'imported' pollution, from agricultural smoke and quarrying (etc., etc.) dust, probably adds to Bangkok's problem, I am convinced that it is largely due to the vast number of private vehicles (3.5 million in 2010 and increasing frighteningly quickly), either racing or crawling along the city's struggling road network and, more often than not, carrying just the driver. A 2 or 3 litre engine, mostly diesel, carrying one person, cannot compare favourably with a bus, of probably 7 litre capacity, carrying 40 or 50 or more people. Public transport, frequent, fast, clean and cheap, has to be the answer when you see just one large vehicle, driving along the same stretch of road as 40 or 50 cars and pickups.

London tackled the congestion problem ages ago with the £11.50 congestion charge and it is now about to introduce the so-called T-charge (a pollution charge), of £10 (per day) for each vehicle identified in the city centre.

Surely, this would be the answer in Bangkok, too. This report gives the true picture of Bangkok's 'Mission Impossible' pollution problem, unless some brave and proactive government has the balls to make some draconian changes to road use legislation.

https://unhabitat.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/GRHS.2013.Case_.Study_.Bangkok.Thailand.pdf

Yep, I think a congestion charge would go along way to help. Looking on the bright side, although a little late there are many new train routes being built /introduced that may also go some way. Populist polices such as the '1st car scheme ' they ran here back in 2011 do nothing to help, developing counties should be looking at ways to reduce vehicles in city areas rather than increase them .

• Like 1

Thai people (including my wife) and their obsession with driving is ridiculous. She works in Asoke, it is ONE stop on the train from our place to her office near Sukhumvit, we have a free shuttle bus service that drops you / picks you up at the station. Guess what, she drives probably 4 days out of 5 and I bet it takes two or three times longer ????

This is someone who has lived and studied abroad and actually done pieces of work on things related to this. Baffling. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, MaxYakov said:

“This year, the people will have to take care of themselves until the end of the smog season, but if the government fails to cope with smog again next year, the people will not just pick up their facemasks and carry on,” Sonthi said.

Oh, yeah? What are they going to do? Most of them aren't wearing face masks even now; and most of those that are are not wearing effective ones. 

"Tanapon Phenrat, an environmental researcher at the Faculty of Engineering Naresuan University, said if we want to end the hazardous smog problem for good, every stakeholder, especially the official agencies, must face up to the truth that the serious air pollution problem from very fine dust particulate matter – PM2.5 – has been a threat to the public’s health for a long time. And no one has an idea on the source of these harmful PM2.5."  (my emphasis)

That's right! No one has a clue. Does he think that anyone would actually believe this?

Here's one study/report on Bangkok air pollution done in 2009:

http://www.aaqr.org/files/article/924/12_AAQR-12-11-OA-0305_1741-1754.pdf

Skimmed through the article and one of the points that is made is that pollution in Bangkok is worse in the winter and they point to pollution from vehicles and industry as the main causes of air pollution in Bangkok.  Probably not many rice fields to burn in Bangkok.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, webfact said:

The smog is here to stay, unless the government puts people’s well-being ahead of economic development and pursues long-term strict pollution control measures, academics warned.

Do the officials who said just a few weeks ago that something to the effect they did not see the smog as a major issue ever talk to each other?