Boris Johnson tells UK's May: Ditch the Irish backstop and get support

webfact

Boris Johnson tells UK's May: Ditch the Irish backstop and get support

2019-01-28T073705Z_1_LYNXNPEF0R0GG_RTROPTP_4_BRITAIN-EU-JOHNSON.JPG

Former British Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson pauses during his speech at the JCB Headquarters in Rocester, Staffordshire, Britain, January 18, 2019. REUTERS/Andrew Yates/File Photo

LONDON (Reuters) - The most prominent Brexit campaigner in Prime Minister Theresa May's Conservative party said on Monday that she would get widespread support if she got the European Union to ditch the Irish backstop.

With less than nine weeks until the United Kingdom is due by law to leave the European Union on March 29, there is no agreement yet in London on how and even whether to leave the world's biggest trading bloc.

Parliament defeated May's deal two weeks ago by a huge margin with many Brexit-supporting rebels in her party angry at the Irish backstop, an insurance policy aimed at preventing a hard border in Ireland if no other solutions can be agreed.

"The PM wants to get rid of the backstop," Boris Johnson wrote in the Daily Telegraph, saying May could insert a "Freedom Clause" to allow the United Kingdom to get out of the backstop without the agreement of the EU.

"If the PM secures that change – a proper UK-sized perforation in the fabric of the backstop itself - I have no doubt that she will have the whole country full-throatedly behind her," Johnson said.

He said very senior sources in the government had told him that May would seek binding legal changes to the deal she agreed in November with the EU. Ireland has said it doesn't want any changes to the backstop.

On Jan. 29, parliament will debate May's proposed next steps as well as alternative plans put forward by lawmakers, including some that seek to delay Britain's exit by requesting an extension to the Article 50 negotiation period.

Prominent Brexit-supporting lawmaker Jacob Rees-Mogg has said that May's deal could be made acceptable to eurosceptic rebels in the Conservative Party if the Irish backstop was removed or nullified.

(Reporting by Guy Faulconbridge; editing by Michael Holden)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-01-28

7 hours ago, pegman said:

Zero chance in hell the E.U. goes against member Ireland on this issue. 

last week, during the Davos jippo, Varadkar opined that Ireland is prepared

to put up a hard border re NI, should UK opt to exit EU with no deal

Edited by melvinmelvin

11 hours ago, webfact said:

"If the PM secures that change – a proper UK-sized perforation in the fabric of the backstop itself - I have no doubt that she will have the whole country full-throatedly behind her," Johnson said.

Freud could have written a book or two about Boris Johnson's choice of words.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Presto said:

If there's one thing to say about Brexiteers like Johnson and Farage then it would be that they are clueless. A big mouth, yes, but no plan, no solutions, nothing. Empty headed power seekers.

They seem to think that the EU Commission can act as a kind of "politburo" / they do not want to know or are simply ignorant that the final decision on the EU side is not with the Commission with with every of the 27 member states / for this reason it will be always difficult to get a "divorce" whereby one side wants to go ...and 27 others on the other side regret this and need to accept the divorce conditions / 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, pegman said:

Zero chance in hell the E.U. goes against member Ireland on this issue. 

Of course the dastardly Boris knows that. The EU have said that many times. Ireland have said they will not accept that change. Any one of the 27 EU states can veto the treaty in the EU parliament.

But by giving May a challenge he knows can never be met he seeks to undermine her; and push for what he really wants which is a no-deal crash out Brexit which suits him and is also wealthy pals.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Loiner said:

Is it just that you find the backstop a welcome relief in the plot to stop Brexit, or that you really can’t understand it’s only a diversionary tactic that’s easily solved?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Easily solved - so come on then genius what's your solution?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Loiner said:

Is it just that you find the backstop a welcome relief in the plot to stop Brexit, or that you really can’t understand it’s only a diversionary tactic that’s easily solved?

“easily” dissolved, where did I hear that word already? Oh, the easiest deal in history it was. Still not returned from cloud cuckoo land. 

34 minutes ago, Loiner said:

“Virtual Border” As existing. Anybody who does not want that to work is looking for problems that are not really there. Yes, that would be the EU and Ireland and Remainers too.

What a great solution that does not work because your negotiating party will not accept it. You should apply the same principle to your personal finances, telling your wife you found a solution to get rich, you will just go to your boss and ask for ten times the pay. Brilliant. 

Brexiteers still in cloud cuckoo land. 

Edited by welovesundaysatspace
  • Like 1

What a great solution that does not work because your negotiating party will not accept it. You should apply the same principle to your personal finances, telling your wife you found a solution to get rich, you will just go to your boss and ask for ten times the pay. Brilliant. 

Boris gave you a solution, I’ve just given you another. If you (EU Ireland & Remain) don’t want that, then you can erect your own barbed wire and machine gun nests. UK won’t because we signed the GFA and keep our side of the bargain.
If I went to my boss and told him “Because we have an existing agreement, I won’t be charging you any more when I go freelance, but I’ll still provide services.” He would probably snap it up.

In cuckoo land the cuckoo always wins, because he kicks the squawking competitors out of the nest. Now off you go chick, your mum is bringing me worms.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

Ireland would accept it , its the E.U. who may not accept it .

That is one reason why Brexisters wanted to leave , so that we can make our own rules , rather than the E.U deciding whats best for us 

U.K and Ireland cannot have an open border..............because Europeans say we cannot 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

The UK has done a nice trade deal with China? Any source for that and for the “nice” terms of that deal?

On BBC News yesterday.

It's “nice” whether you like it or not, if your all for being led around what paramounts to a leash by French & Germans and Brussels well hard luck there's free world out there free from the club.

Edited by Kwasaki
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Loiner said:

Boris gave you a solution, I’ve just given you another. If you (EU Ireland & Remain) don’t want that, then you can erect your own barbed wire and machine gun nests. UK won’t because we signed the GFA and keep our side of the bargain.

The EU doesn’t need a solution, not from Boris and not from you. For what problem does the EU need a solution? You want a deal, apparently, and that’s your problem. 

3 hours ago, sanemax said:

Ireland would accept it , its the E.U. who may not accept it .

You want a deal with the EU, not with Ireland (assuming for a moment that Ireland, who had repeatedly said it wants the backstop, would indeed accept it). 

2 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

On BBC News yesterday.

It's “nice” whether you like it or not, if your all for being led around what paramounts to a leash by French & Germans and Brussels well hard luck there's free world out there free from the club.

I can only say whether it’s “nice” or not after seeing the details, so could you please provide a link to where the agreed deal is mentioned? There’s nothing on the BBC website I’m afraid. 

Edited by welovesundaysatspace
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

I can only say whether it’s “nice” or not after seeing the details, so could you please provide a link to where the agreed deal is mentioned? There’s nothing on the BBC website I’m afraid. 

Here's one Google in 2 secs.

https://www.itproportal.com/news/bt-signs-major-china-telecoms-deal/

On 1/29/2019 at 10:49 AM, Baerboxer said:

Of course the dastardly Boris knows that. The EU have said that many times. Ireland have said they will not accept that change. Any one of the 27 EU states can veto the treaty in the EU parliament.

But by giving May a challenge he knows can never be met he seeks to undermine her; and push for what he really wants which is a no-deal crash out Brexit which suits him and is also wealthy pals.

Have to agree.

Boris is only looking out for himself, and that's always been the case.

Hence his latest statement that the only problem with May and the eu's BRINO deal (whilst paying 39bn for the privilege.....)  -  is the backstop.....

Edited by dick dasterdly