Authorities to step up efforts to take legal action against drivers of vehicles emitting black smoke

webfact

13 minutes ago, The Old Bull said:

The way they are measuring just tells the concentration that can be reduced by adding an air pump to add air to the exhaust like they did in north america. You need a system that checks the total emission not concentration.

Fallen at the first hurdle over here then.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Too little, too late.

Depressing but very true. Take every vehicle off the road that's chucking out smoke and 99% of transport of small goods loads and people in Bangkok would grind to a halt.

You would now have to kill the patient to fix all the things wrong with him.

Yes, tackle the BMA first. Then you have delivery trucks medium scale to pick up trucks. These things are horrible. And honestly add the 2 stroke stinking Tuk Tuks. They add conciderable polution. And the spewing motorcycles. Sorry taxi and poor people, get them fixed or stop driving them. This alone with how many bikes could be 5% or more of the bad air. In Chiang Mai the red wretched trucks. But, in the end very little will be done. At least hard core until after the election?

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

What about the busses and lorries... the drivers don't get much option... drive or get fired... 

It is the transport companies and the businesses owning the polluting lorries which should be fined.... and the owners of any other polluting vehicle...

Being from the USA and a previous truck operator for many companies.  The driver of the vehicle is always at fault if operating a vehicle that is not up to standards. Yes, the companies who are putting these drivers in these vehicle with or without knowing there is a problem or issue with them need a service department that is checking as well as relying on the drivers to let them know there is an issue with the vehicle. Now, of course that will require drivers and companies working together and stiffer laws for the ones that do not complies with said laws. I've had many arguments with companies who refuse to keep their vehicles up to code due to costs. When this happens you have to ask for another truck till the issue are resolved. Now, this is not the USA and maybe down the road similar things should be looked at. The down falls is the drivers will not want to work as a result to avoid heavy fines or will just keep going as they have been doing as they need to make a living.

In that case the BMA will seize bus operations with immediate effect.

There are buses which were old and dented 30+ years ago when I arrived and these magnificent beasts of longelifety are still clogging the roads of Bangkok with at least as much black smoke as then ....... except that more of the paint and filler underneath fell off in the meantime! 

How about allowing city dwellers to work from home, no need to drive and get stuck in traffic jams..... anyone???

My job in Administration man or many related office jobs, don't require someone to go through the trouble of traffic and commuting. 

4 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

In that case the BMA will seize bus operations with immediate effect.

There are buses which were old and dented 30+ years ago when I arrived and these magnificent beasts of longelifety are still clogging the roads of Bangkok with at least as much black smoke as then ....... except that more of the paint and filler underneath fell off in the meantime! 

Some may be along to tell you it's part of the charm of Bangkok.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Gen. Prawit Wongsuwan, has ordered the Royal Thai Police (RTP) and the Department of Land Transport (DLT) to take legal action against drivers of any vehicles emitting black smoke.

These statements always make me laugh; the police having to be told to take legal action. Were they not aware that that was their job in the first place? ????

8 minutes ago, Wiggy said:

These statements always make me laugh; the police having to be told to take legal action. Were they not aware that that was their job in the first place? ????

Studies in Sweden show there may be connections between polution and both long and short time memories.

On a personal note I can't remember the last time I had a short time or a long time.

So there must be something in it.

Edit.

Seems to be causing speling problems for me as wel.

4 hours ago, stickyrice2000 said:

Thailand should pass the laws requiring vehicle owners to do smog and safety inspection check each year.  This helps create jobs and new opportunities too.

So you fail your inspection, then what? Many people drive without a license. No one cares. Unless the police are going to start taking action (they won’t) nothing will change.

It’s easier to chase scooter drivers for not wearing helmets.

I’m looking forward to another short lived crack down.

They will forget all about this in 30 days or less. As soon as they have a few days of better air, it’s a wrap and they will praise themselves for doing an amazing job. 

1 hour ago, MaxLee said:

How about allowing city dwellers to work from home, no need to drive and get stuck in traffic jams..... anyone???

I telecommuted 3-4 days a week in both of my last two jobs (back in Washington DC), but here, I had to actually punch a time clock when I got to work and left.  Think about what that says about management's level of trust in its employees that they have to punch a time clock.  The last time I had to punch a time clock, I was a teenager at my first job as a prep cook in a restaurant. 

Thai employers don't trust their workers enough to allow them to telecommute.

1 hour ago, Vacuum said:

Not at the moment.

14th most polluted city in the world yesterday. 

You don’t call that a problem? You can’t see the harmful particles. Being able to see Doi Suthep isn’t a gauge.

There is some talk on this thread about what particles are visible and what are not.

A quick search reveals that smoke particles are around 1 micron with the PM 2.5 being 2.5 microns. Bacteria average 2 micron.

So it seems clear that when massive amounts of particulate material regardless of their origins are trapped in the cityscape, then they become visible to all and along with their visibility come the negative health effects. 

1 hour ago, attrayant said:

Thai employers don't trust their workers enough to allow them to telecommute.

Based on how they drive, I wouldn't trust them to commute either, let alone telecommute I often wonder who would pay someone enough money to purchase a BMW or Mercedes, who can't figure out how to use turn signals, who change lanes over solid lines, who dangerously cut in front of others, speed thru heavy traffic, etc. If they can't maintain basic safety for themselves, who are these highly paid people supervising/managing?! I wouldn't higher any of them to supervise/manage a lemonade stand.

7 hours ago, scorecard said:

So how come these buses belching thick black smoke are even on the road?

In the last decade and more there have been many headlines that they are banned and owners/drivers will be heavily fined if they are on the roads, etc.

So how come they are still on the streets?

Surely these vehicles are subject to some sort of annual check? Again the question so how come they are still on the roads?

Seems to me the government officials responsible who are derelict in their duties and corrupt should be in jail and shamed specifically in regard to the current pollution nightmare.

On the other hand if government officials ignore their duties why doesn't the PM send out an army unit to tow the offending vehicles into a compound and immediately totally destroy their engines?

Then have the bodies of these buses (without engines) lined up outside the houses of the senior officials who are not doing their duties with the senior officials sitting 24 hrs a day for 10 days in the drivers seats, window open and with permission for anybody to abuse them and throw rotten vegetables at them?

Annual check haha, I believe the equivalent to the M.O.T vehicle check here in Thailand is every 5 years !!

Hence so many smoke belching machines still on the road.

1 hour ago, stanleycoin said:

I think its great putting those Soi dogs to good use

checking the emissions on them buses. :smile: 

jj.JPG

I was watching the news the other day, and an officer was standing behind a truck to detect the emissions, the driver gunned the engine and the officer was completely engulfed in black smoke.....I died laughing when I saw that....LMAO!

Archived