The Indians are coming! And they're not "Cheap Charlies", say the TAT

webfact

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah...ahm ...TAT...please compare your own numbers (pulled out of a really dark place, I assume!) to real life!

- ask the bar girls ( 3 guys sharing 1 drink...and negotiate for 1 girl)

- ask the tour operators, who are dealing with the demands of "the Indians" on (fe) wedding- budgets

I know: it is a stereotype and a simplyfication...but so is the TAT- claim!

7 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

You're right, of course, but what is questionable is TAT's strategy (or day dream?) to lure 1.3 billion Indians to Thailand. 200 million (or about 15% of India's population) would be more realistic.

Did you actually read the story. They are trying to "lure" 5 million in 5 years.

If I worked for thai tourism I would be targeting indians and chinese too. 

1 hour ago, SammyT said:

I'm sure the bargirls are thrilled about it all. I've heard many won't even touch them due to the disrespect the Indian guys treat bargirls with. 

If true, it's fair to say that many Indians won't be coming...

Actually what I have found to be one of the biggest Thai girl lies.

They go with Indian men they just do not like to admit it.

Back around 2015 an American friend advised me to move to PI's and open a bar/restaurant .He said Thailand was finished for farangs . I disagreed but he is now the one smiling and doing OK over there. Takes a different kind of farang to handle the Philippines though. Dangerous place. 

Doesn't matter what TAT say , either way farangs are on the way out of here.

40 minutes ago, inThailand said:

The Indians are coming! And they're not "Cheap Charlies", say the TAT. 

Are they comparing them to the Chinese? Or those in Pattaya? 

The Chinese should really be offended, a further reduction in Chinese tourists coming here should send TAT a subtle message.  I will get my friend to put that on wechat. ????

17 minutes ago, HalfLight said:

1 billion of whom only own the clothes they stand up in, and the clothes would probably stand up on their own if they weren't standing in them anyway.

So that leaves just 300m as a potential target for TAT.

Hardly worth bothering about then........

5 minutes ago, dabhand said:

So that leaves just 300m as a potential target for TAT.

Hardly worth bothering about then........

Well, of that 300 million, an estimated 50 million have been to Thailand before so won't be coming, 100 million have rellies or people they know or who they need to impress who are in Europe, so they won't be coming to Thailand. 50 million are looking for a new home so they won't be coming to Thailand, and 100 million know some of the 50 million at point 1, so they won't be coming either.

Wow. Thailand might not get rich on the backs of the Indians or the Chinese after all. Bummer.

20 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Actually what I have found to be one of the biggest Thai girl lies.

They go with Indian men they just do not like to admit it.

I'm sure some girls do.

Again, as an ex-GoGo bar owner, we had monthly staff meetings (always on payday, so everyone had to attend).

It was the dancers themselves who brought up the subject of Indians as customers. The girls said they didn't want to go with Indians, as they smelt. Due to this, we stopped allowing them into the bar.

2 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

I'm sure some girls do.

Again, as an ex-GoGo bar owner, we had monthly staff meetings (always on payday, so everyone had to attend).

It was the dancers themselves who brought up the subject of Indians as customers. The girls said they didn't want to go with Indians, as they smelt. Due to this, we stopped allowing them into the bar.

Hmmm. So perhaps not the expected fortune to be made from Indians after all...

1 hour ago, darksidedog said:

Sorry, have to dispute that. Yes, there are around 700 million who do not have disposable income, but there are around 100 million very wealthy and 500 million middle class, numbers which pretty much match those of everyone in western Europe. I lived in India for three years and there are a lot more folk there with money to burn than there are here.

I agree that you will get some traveling on a small budget, but backpackers from around the world are too.

Actually in 2017 India was rated at 278,000 high net worth individuals - only a fraction of China or Japan.  There is no question the rich are getting richer and the number expanding but they already visit and India is noted for cheap medical facilities so not much need to come here.  https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2018/12/india-s-ultra-rich-population-is-growing-faster-than-anywhere-else/ 

1 hour ago, SammyT said:

I'm sure the bargirls are thrilled about it all. I've heard many won't even touch them due to the disrespect the Indian guys treat bargirls with. 

If true, it's fair to say that many Indians won't be coming...

I used to live in India and have many Indian friends. One observation about Indian culture, which my friends agreed with, was that when an Indian pays for something they think they've the right to use and abuse it fully to get the maximum value for money perception. Many hotels don't like Indian guests because of how they trash the rooms etc. They tend not to respect anything they've had to pay for unless it's expensive and becomes their property. A strange sort of arrogance. 

I can understand why many bar girls and sex workers don't want Indian customers. Cheap charlies always looking for a discount and then treating with no respect or wanting their several mates to have a turn free.

But the Indian families who visit aren't likely to be looking for bar girls! And they behave just like other tourists. 

Didn't take long for Thais to adopt dog whistles did it? The expression ánd they're not Cheap Charlies' contains the embedded suggestion that the current visitors are heap charlies. But then, adopting the Napoleon Wisdom, 'never attribute to malice what is adequately explained by incompetence', would probably be sensible…

Besides, adoption of the expression 'Cheap Charlies' speaks volumes about this guy itself...

"Indian visitors to Thailand will soon be number two to the Chinese with ten million annually."
10 years is "soon"? Remember what it was like in 2009.....cant think of what things will be like in 2029.
They can have them all by then, I am sure it will be a shell of itself by that time as it seem to be going.

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

13 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

I used to live in India and have many Indian friends. One observation about Indian culture, which my friends agreed with, was that when an Indian pays for something they think they've the right to use and abuse it fully to get the maximum value for money perception. Many hotels don't like Indian guests because of how they trash the rooms etc. They tend not to respect anything they've had to pay for unless it's expensive and becomes their property. A strange sort of arrogance. 

I can understand why many bar girls and sex workers don't want Indian customers. Cheap charlies always looking for a discount and then treating with no respect or wanting their several mates to have a turn free.

But the Indian families who visit aren't likely to be looking for bar girls! And they behave just like other tourists. 

True, but the ones who visit Pattaya almost certainly are. Large groups of guys standing 6 deep around a single worn out looking hooker on Beach Road is a pretty common sight...

Of course my original comment was meant as a joke, and I in no way think that the only Indians who visit are the sex tourists!

They're coming they're all coming, and, and, and they bring money lots and lots of money.

Forget about boat safety, forget about air pollution, forget about bullying government.

Oh, Oh, Oh. Millions of them are coming.

OK good, nothing wrong with having a healthy tourist industry, just calm down abit will ya, they're not here yet.

21 minutes ago, SammyT said:

True, but the ones who visit Pattaya almost certainly are. Large groups of guys standing 6 deep around a single worn out looking hooker on Beach Road is a pretty common sight...

Of course my original comment was meant as a joke, and I in no way think that the only Indians who visit are the sex tourists!

Why are you standing around watching indian men standing around hookers on beach rd.

Are you a zero baht farang. 

5 minutes ago, dreaming said:

Why are you standing around watching indian men standing around hookers on beach rd.

Are you a zero baht farang. 

I was walking down beach road an hour ago and in the distance I saw a large group of people as I got closer I saw they were from India I also saw that a few guys had detached themselves and indeed they were gawking with their tongues hanging out at a worn out hooker,It's called making an observation and at no time was I standing around and I had a bag with me that contained about 5000 baht of purchases.

Archived