Did the latest police order reaffirm the combo method?

Did the newest Immigration Police order just reaffirm the combo method for retirement extentions?

This is the new stated third option:

(5) Must have and annual earning and fund deposited with a commercial bank in Thailand totalling of no less than THB 800,000 until the filing date. The said fund must remain in the account prior to and after the permission is granted and the alien can make a withdrawal under the same conditions as stated in (4).

One could say have 400,000 in the bank 3 months before and 3 months after and 33,334 in monthly foreign transfers in... Potential you could spend the 400,000 down after 3 months to a minimum of 200,000...

This translation adds a new term “annual earnings”... I assume they mean income transferred in monthly from a foreign source?

Please try to keep the whining to a minimum and if your planning to leave Thailand you need not post... 

Edited by sfokevin
  • Like 2

There was no new police order, Immigration simply confirmed a new way of proving income.

As they didn’t announce any change to the combo method it must assumed it’s still available. 

Yes it is supposed to be foreign transfers.

12 minutes ago, sfokevin said:

This translation adds a new term “annual earnings”... I assume they mean income transferred in monthly from a foreign source?

Really no change. It has already been your annual earnings combined with money in the bank to reach a total of 800k baht. It in a way confirms transfers into a Thai bank account will accepted.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Really no change. It has already been your annual earnings combined with money in the bank to reach a total of 800k baht. It in a way confirms transfers into a Thai bank account will accepted.

Don't mean to be funny ubonjoe but maybe someone should explain this new/old police order to the local IO supervisor at Jomtien as I wrote a while back combo method not accepted it's 800,000 or the runway. 

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, a977 said:

Don't mean to be funny ubonjoe but maybe someone should explain this new/old police order to the local IO supervisor at Jomtien as I wrote a while back combo method not accepted it's 800,000 or the runway. 

To be fair to the local IO , there as been no clarification on how to calculate the earnings for persons using transfer money into bank for combo method. Does it require full year of transfer, or lowest monthly transfer multiplied by 12 ?, or any other possible permutation.

11 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Income 35,000 a month =420,000/year. 

Keep 380,000 in the bank and book update every 3 months showing income in theory should satisfy the requirement.

11 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

But please, have those annual earnings/transfers got to be the same sum every month, be it 20k or 65k, or is it the total of those monies plus a 'top-up' to 800k at least three months before extension time.

And can one spend some or all of the transferred money?

Edited by wgdanson

50 minutes ago, cleopatra2 said:

OP a quick read of the Police Order, the combo method requires 400k to be maintained throughout. Para 4 states the figure of 400k , not 50% of fund (although 400k is 50% it does not state this) after 3 months.

So a combo method of 50k monthly international transfers and a 200k bank balance the whole year (which is under 400k) would not be acceptable?

26 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

But please, have those annual earnings/transfers got to be the same sum every month, be it 20k or 65k, or is it the total of those monies plus a 'top-up' to 800k at least three months before extension time.

And can one spend some or all of the transferred money?

Not sure exactly it will work as far as keep 400k baht in the bank for the combination option. If your annual income is greater than 400k baht it may not be needed.

Before applying for the next extension would have to have a total of income and money in the bank to reach the 800k baht requirement for 2 months before applying.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Not sure exactly it will work as far as keep 400k baht in the bank for the combination option. If your annual income is greater than 400k baht it may not be needed.

Before applying for the next extension would have to have a total of income and money in the bank to reach the 800k baht requirement for 2 months before applying.

Sorry, no understand. Say I have foreign transfers for 12 months of 40k = 480 to live off. Could I then put 320k into an account 3 months before extension time. Total income into Thailand = 800k, total left in the bank = 320k. It is SO frustrating not knowing. 

My IO said to my wife that as long as the monies I brought into Thailand totalled over 800k in the year, he would accept it. But is he just bulls****ing.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Are bank balances below 400k no longer acceptable under the combo method?

24 minutes ago, sfokevin said:

Are bank balances below 400k no longer acceptable under the combo method?

That is not really clear in the order but I do think lesser amounts will be accepted since the income should be the primary concern,

9 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

It's opinions at this point. People are speculating based on assumptions and not enough information and clarification.

So as it is opinions now I will share mine.

The acceptability of combo applications with and without embassy letters is now under some doubt. Greater doubt for those without embassy letters.

Why demand premature certainty when it just doesn't exist? That is a false comfort.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Guess we just need to wait a watch a few people thrown out to see what the working rules will be... :coffee1:

Edited by sfokevin
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, sfokevin said:

Police order No. 35/2561 was just issued today...

I have had my Non-Imm O-A since March 20, 2018 applied for in Oz. I'm taking a 3 wk holiday back home and returning on Mar 13. So I'm expecting to get my bonus 12 mths without having to apply for a further extension of stay.

So I'm thinking that my first extension of stay renewal won't be until Mar 2010. Am I correct in this assumption? I still haven't moved any money or pension into a Thai bank account.. If it is Mar 2020, then I won't need my 800k in a Thai bank until Dec 2019, allowing for 3 mths seasoning.. 

Is this still correct, or does the new order change things for me. I'd appreciate to hear a knowledgeable response from ubonjoe thanks. 

2 minutes ago, owenm said:

Is this still correct, or does the new order change things for me. I'd appreciate to hear a knowledgeable response from ubonjoe thanks. 

No change for you until you apply for the extension next year. The 800k baht only has to be in the bank for 2 months now when you apply.

No change for you until you apply for the extension next year. The 800k baht only has to be in the bank for 2 months now when you apply.
Thanks ubonjoe.. Great news.

I would also presume that one could let their Non-Imm O-A expire in Thailand by not getting their extension when due, then reapply for a new Non-Imm O-A from their home country, and get another 2 yrs usage without any funds in Thailand..

Sent from my VKY-L29 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

5 hours ago, Jingthing said:

It's opinions at this point. People are speculating based on assumptions and not enough information and clarification.

The acceptability of combo applications with and without embassy letters is now under some doubt. Greater doubt for those without embassy letters.

Why demand premature certainty when it just doesn't exist? That is a false comfort.

Then my opinion is that the ill thought through regulations that have already been changed at least once (why couldn’t it all have been done at once?) have complicated the calculations to the point where many IOs are simply not going to understand how to calculate the combination method especially the application of the amount now needing to be held for 3 months after the visa as far as it’s implications for the following year’s visa is concerned. My plan is to revert to the marriage visa but what’s the betting that in another afterthought similar post visa fund requirement won’t be forthcoming. Another typically Thai unholy mess! 

6 hours ago, Jingthing said:

This is why I reluctantly put baht 800,000 in my bank account.

1. You're going to have endless speculation on TV and elsewhere.

2. Then there may or may not be attempts at clarification from on high with further speculation.

3. Then you'll have reports of office-specific interpretations/applications and/or somewhat incoherent stories detailing how individuals were denied an extension even though blah blah blah.

No thank you. Far more entertaining to watch it all from the sidelines. Maybe I'll rejoin the fray in two or three years.

On 2/1/2019 at 8:37 AM, overherebc said:

Income 35,000 a month =420,000/year. 

Keep 380,000 in the bank and book update every 3 months showing income in theory should satisfy the requirement.

For those that are married, may as well have the 400K and forget the income. Going from gross income on the letter to Thai deposits is the real problem for many.