Marriage visa

6 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I'm guessing you mean, you're planning to apply to Thai Immigration for an extension of stay based on marriage to a Thai citizen.

As such, you'd need to apply at the Thai Immigration Office responsible for Yasothon, and would do your 90 day reports at the same office.

Yes applying for based on marriage visa. So I would go to Amnat Charoen office? Let me ask you if you know a couple things please. Is it easy to open a Thai bank account if I am on my wife's house papers? Can one applying for a marriage visa without the help of an attorney. We already have a valid marriage certificate from 10 years ago in the USA.  If we get a marriage certificate from the Yasothon Amphur. Does it have to age for awhile before applying for a based on marriage visa? Thank you

16 minutes ago, raptorea said:

Yes applying for based on marriage visa. So I would go to Amnat Charoen office? Let me ask you if you know a couple things please. Is it easy to open a Thai bank account if I am on my wife's house papers? Can one applying for a marriage visa without the help of an attorney. We already have a valid marriage certificate from 10 years ago in the USA.  If we get a marriage certificate from the Yasothon Amphur. Does it have to age for awhile before applying for a based on marriage visa? Thank you

Welcome to ThaiVisa!

Re your various questions....

1. I'm in BKK, and you're out of my area, so someone else here hopefully can tell you what's the proper Immigration Office for Yasothon.

2. Being a foreigner opening a Thai bank account here is always a bit of a crapshoot. The response you'll get will often vary from bank company to bank company, and even among branches within the same bank company.  But in general, BKK Bank is one of the easier to open new accounts with, and they list on their website what things a foreigner needs to have.  Also, apart from that, assuming you're married to a Thai and she has local bank accounts, trying to open there with her as a kind of sponsor for you also can help. It's often a matter of knocking on different bank branch doors until you find one willing to accommodate.

Re BKKB, look at page 8 of this document re opening new accounts:

https://www.bangkokbank.com/-/media/Files/Personal/Other-Services/Branch-Services/International-Branches/ExpatBooklet_Jan2017.ashx?la=en&hash=15587776FB3E6C04F9DE10BC2742AFE153E20D44

3. Again, you're not applying for a marriage visa... You're applying for an extension of stay based on marriage. And normally, there's no reason to involve an attorney or agent, unless for some reason the local Immigration office with jurisdiction for where you live is especially problematic. There are pretty well established requirements for what Immigration form and supporting documents need to be provided to apply for a marriage extension of stay,, and checking with your local Immigration Office ahead of time on their particular requirements often can be helpful.

4. You will need to provide a marriage certificate in Thai as part of the application process. But since you were married outside Thailand, I'm not a good source on how you take your U.S. marriage certificate and get it into a format suitable for Thai Immigration. Others would best explain the process when a person is starting with a non Thai marriage certificate.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

9 hours ago, raptorea said:

Thank you for your reply.

The info in the post I'm linking below and the link to the PDF document in that post should help you about the requirements for applying for an extension of stay based on marriage.  But again, it's important to check with your local Immigration office, since sometimes the details of things can vary some from office to office.

Since you're an American, you can no longer get an income affidavit from the U.S. Embassy in BKK. So your choice on the financial requirement is either to deposit 400,000 baht in a Thai bank account, OR, do monthly bank transfers each and every month from the U.S. into a Thai bank account of at least 40,000 baht.

https://forum.thaivisa.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=551691

PS - Did you find an answer yet about the correct Immigration office for your area? I was hoping someone would answer that here...but nothing so far....

This was the info re Immigration as of 2011... Dunno if it's changed since then....

As far as I know you have to go to Amnat Charoen Immigration Office as Yasothon does not have one.

Immigration Office

Mueang Amnat Charoen

Amnat Charoen 37000

Phone:0 4545 2789

Just adding to the bangkok bank info as it is the simplest and can be opened on any visa,  I just needed passport and referee.  The referee is a bank customer so my misses opened the savings first then at the same time opened mine.  Just have a seperate sim and email acct for online banking.

Edited by BigT73

10 hours ago, raptorea said:

Thank you for your reply.

Rather than apply for an extension of stay at your local immigration office, have you instead considered the possibility of (re-)applying for a real, genuine McCoy multiple-entry visa of the non-immigrant O variety at the Royal Thai Consulate in Savannakhet, PDR Laos, which only appears to be a stone's throw away from Yasothon?

On 2/1/2019 at 1:48 AM, raptorea said:

We already have a valid marriage certificate from 10 years ago in the USA.

Ubon Joe in another thread just posted his summary of marriage extension requirements. You can use this as a guide for the documents you need, although as I mentioned above, details may vary by Immigration Office.

Ubon Joe's Marriage Extension Requirements 2019.pdf

Also..you asked about dealing with a foreign issued marriage certif....

Also...Joe advised as to the process, which is a bit involved here:

You will have to have your marriage certificate legalized and then translated to Thai. Then the  translation will have to be certified by the Department of Consular Affairs of the MFA in Bangkok. Then you will need to go to a Amphoe to register your foreign marriage to get a Kor Ror 22 marriage registry that immigration requires to apply for the extension of stay based upon marriage.

When Joe above starts out talking about getting your U.S. marriage certif "legalized" here, I believe he means taking it to the U.S. Embassy and having them certify (legalize) it. With that certification, then you can get the Thai translation done anywhere that handles such things and then have the Thai translation certified by the Thai MFA in Bangkok. Then onward to your local Amphur office for the Kor Ror 22.

On 2/5/2019 at 1:30 AM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Ubon Joe in another thread just posted his summary of marriage extension requirements. You can use this as a guide for the documents you need, although as I mentioned above, details may vary by Immigration Office.

Ubon Joe's Marriage Extension Requirements 2019.pdf 47.55 kB · 2 downloads

Also..you asked about dealing with a foreign issued marriage certif....

Also...Joe advised as to the process, which is a bit involved here:

When Joe above starts out talking about getting your U.S. marriage certif "legalized" here, I believe he means taking it to the U.S. Embassy and having them certify (legalize) it. With that certification, then you can get the Thai translation done anywhere that handles such things and then have the Thai translation certified by the Thai MFA in Bangkok. Then onward to your local Amphur office for the Kor Ror 22.

So go to the USA Embassy in Bangkok to have marriage certificate certified? Do you know how long this process takes? Can you walk in or do you have to make appointment? Thank you

6 hours ago, raptorea said:

So go to the USA Embassy in Bangkok to have marriage certificate certified? Do you know how long this process takes? Can you walk in or do you have to make appointment? Thank you

All non-emergency business at the American Citizens Services unit at the U.S. BKK Embassy requires making an advance appointment via their website.

https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/acsappointment/

It sounds from looking at several past threads on this subject that the U.S. Embassy will NOT directly certify a state marriage certificate from the U.S. But they will notarize an affidavit from you and the wife declaring that you are legally married and have a valid marriage certificate from the U.S. And then take that afffidavit and your U.S. marriage certificate to have them translated into Thai here, and then take both sets of documents to have them certified by the Thai MFA (or have the translation service messenger them to MFA and back for you, if the translation service office offers that for an added price).

There are a couple past threads that spell out all the details of this for folks who were married in the U.S. before and now want to apply for extensions via Thai Immigration. Read them carefully.