Thailand should welcome retirees

1 minute ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

Excuse me, but do you really think thailand will ever get rid of the brown envelope. you must be wink winking in your dreams.

No country managed to get rid of brown envelope (or similar illegal payment)

but no doubt that Thailand can (and will) progressively reduce it.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

Better weather, less rules to keep on breaking, don't have to bother with this tax and that tax, don't

need a very expensive TV license etc, etc, etc, etc.

Hell yes, it is -2 degC right now in my home UK town!

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, connda said:

Thailand should also welcome foreigners who marry and then support their spouses.  By the way, I wear two hats here: one as a retiree and another as a foreign man married to a Thai national.

Ironically, that's the way it works for foreigner females married to a Thai man.  And their is no expectation that the foreigner female even provide any support.  The onus of support is entirely on the Thai man, and the foreigner female spouse does not have to show any financial supporting documents in order to remain in Thailand until they die or choose to leave.  So essentially marrying a Thai man leads to permanent residency - as it should.

Foreign men married to a Thai national wife?  Lordy!  You are simply a walking ATM with the same status as a tourist and as such your stay is only year to year and can end on the whim of the Thai government.  I took my Thai wife and her family out of poverty, built them a good home which is the foundation for my wife's retirement, my son, and his children, provide for them, sent my stepson to private school, and paid off my family's debt in order to unburden them.  The money I bring is multiples of what the average indebted Thai earns.

But:

Foreign woman married to Thai man - good.
Foreign man married to Thai woman - bad (and you're probably married to game the immigration system as well).
That's the perception.  Even my own wife holds this perception, although it will be a sad day for her and the rest of my family if the Thai government eventually make it a bureaucratic nightmare to remain here, because the Thai perception is that we are all "Takers" who are potential criminals when if fact most of us are "Givers" who support our families as well as our communities.
Most other countries have their eyes open and see that both retirees and men supporting a native wife of the host country are net 'givers' who add to the economies and in the case of men married to native wives, raise the standard of living for their families. 
Why Thais can not wrap their collective heads around that concept boggles the mind.
Imho, given the trajectory of this stupidity, eventually this leads to an exodus of both retirees and men married to Thai women.  No doubt the exodus will be cheered and jeered on with glee by the elitists among the expat community who will join in a farewell banter of, "Don't let the door hit ya in your butts Cheap Charlies!" <laughs all around>.  But if those of us who support Thai families are forced out, well - there goes the support that has kept the wife and family solidly in the Thai middle-class and out of poverty and out of debt.  Then what? 

Do the math. 

Do you ever wonder how many foreign women come here and encourage the sex trade? How many retired Western woman come here and marry a rice farmer toy boy. It's bloody obvious that the government has had enough of the retired sexpats coming here and participating in the sex trade, especially in Pattaya, where poor farming girls are forced into prostitution. Can you imagine the uproar if this happened in your country? Thailand is growing up. 

Retired men that don't marry gold-digging bar-girls will have no problem finding the cash. The ones that do, should be ashamed of themselves, an embarrassment to those of us who have lived her for many years and also to their children and grand children in their home countries.

• Sad 5
  • Haha 1

Thailand is now tightening it's borders in line with western Countries, in the nineties you could open a bank account on a tourist visa, then the restrictions started and have continued since, places like Cambodia, which Thailand used to be like 30 years, will catch overtime because of pressure from outside influences. 

25 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Really! That is very selfish thinking, it is about 60 Ks to my nearest IO. Most of the people who

think like you have an IO nearby.

Can't you post the 90 day form, I use to when I was under Maesot immigration that was a 170 Kilometre.

18 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Thailand does welcome retired people as long as they have 800,000 baht and health insurance. 

Or if your married 400,000 baht that's the way it is. 

Almost all the American and Canadian retirees I know have way more money in US and Canadian banks than 800,000 baht, and make way more a month from their pensions than 65,000 baht a month.  Most have health insurance as well.  

What most of these retirees are going to do as their retirement visa extensions are due, is simply leave the country.  Personally, I would prefer to live in a country that has a higher standard and cost of living than deposit money in a Thai bank.  

These people can keep their low cost of living, polluted air, traffic jams, and nonsensical immigration rules that change with the wind.  I fail to see the value of handing over money to Thai banks for a one year visa extension.

For those who are willing to abide by these financial requirements, good for you.  I have read so many comments of people thinking these expat departures will not have any effect in Thailand.  Let's wait until the end of the year and see what the Thais have to say about that. Time will tell for sure ????      

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

Better weather, less rules to keep on breaking, don't have to bother with this tax and that tax, don't

need a very expensive TV license etc, etc, etc, etc.

Good answer to an ignorant question ????

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, CMNightRider said:

For those who are willing to abide by these financial requirements, good for you.  I have read so many comments of people thinking these expat departures will not have any effect in Thailand.  Let's wait until the end of the year and see what the Thais have to say about that. Time will tell for sure ????      

It will probably have little effect whatsoever, even if all of them left, since the number is insignificant compared to the tourist numbers. We are probably talking say 100,000 people?

Even at a rate of 10 to 1, they would compensate by 1 million extra tourists. And the golden goose is China now btw.

Or at least I am pretty confident that's how they see it.

But they won't lose all the retirees, only a part of them that won't make it for whatever reason (be it financial or choice). Which in turn gets compensated by milking the remaining ones for more.

Edited by lkv

5 hours ago, Brunolem said:

And where does this 16 million baht come from, if I may ask? 

I don't remember writing anything about my country's financial requirements for foreign retirees??? 

16,000,000 is the baht equivalent if I want to retire in the USA. And, I have to invest it, yet you think if I want to retire in Thailand, 50,000 baht is fair?

16,000,000 is 35,000% more than 50,000, yet the living expenses here in Thailand are not even 100%  cheaper than in the US.

Can't you see that this 50,000 baht is a ridiculous, thought up figure that you came up with?

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, GalaxyMan said:

Thailand does welcome retirees, but they only want retirees that are NOT going to become a burden on their system. Can't blame them at all. They want high-quality (read monied) retirees, not people who can't afford to live in their own home countries. Might not seem fair if you're one of those who will be negatively impacted by this, but it's smart from their point of view. The real screaming is going to start when they add an insurance requirement to the game. It's only a matter of time, IMHO.

Nothing humble about your "lecture" . Its fools like you that are to ignorant to see what  is really going on and how the rules are constantly changing and are making it more and more difficult and aggravating  for retirees.  But hey maybe you enjoy being played and made to jump thru their ever changing hoops and hurdles. ...IMHO ..lol.

Edited by Max77
Cr
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, MrPatrickThai said:

Do you ever wonder how many foreign women come here and encourage the sex trade? How many retired Western woman come here and marry a rice farmer toy boy. It's bloody obvious that the government has had enough of the retired sexpats coming here and participating in the sex trade, especially in Pattaya, where poor farming girls are forced into prostitution. Can you imagine the uproar if this happened in your country? Thailand is growing up. 

Retired men that don't marry gold-digging bar-girls will have no problem finding the cash. The ones that do, should be ashamed of themselves, an embarrassment to those of us who have lived her for many years and also to their children and grand children in their home countries.

I have never been to Pattaya, but in Chiang Mai, I have never seen or heard of foreign women coming to Thailand to find a Thai toy boy.  However, I have seen a lot of gender confused foreign male expats come here to hook up with young Thai men.  Thailand seems to be a gender confused country.

Other than the above mentioned gender confused retirees, almost without exception all the expat retirees I have met have benefited Thailand in so many ways.  Many volunteer, donate to local charities, and support the local economy.  Thai Immigrations latest new hurdles to stay here long term is convincing many of these people to leave Thailand.        

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Old Croc said:

I would think there are many, many more, who, before moving here understood that the visa conditions required 800k in the bank, and didn't consider that that money would also double as day to day living expenses.

In fact I don't understand how it can be used for both things. After meeting that condition, you still need to import money, over and above,  to live on.

If the 800k is used for expenses it must be replenished anyway. That is, unless it doesn't actually exist and is temporarily conjured up for the once-a-year purpose. To pay agents a fee to temporarily lend you that money is a scam, and I can understand why Immigration want to end this form of cheating.

I also don't like my money sitting idle in a bank, but know it is still mine, and regard it as an emergency fund if ever needed.

Virtually all countries place financial requirements on people wanting to live there long term, for good reason. Wide open borders attract criminals, beggars, scammers and other scum of the earth. I've had more Westerners trying to rip me off here than Thais, not talking small money.

As someone who understood the requirements, and made the effort to meet them, I don't have a great deal of sympathy for those who didn't. Although, I do get the anguish of people with families who have made their life in Thailand for many years and now find they may be in trouble. Perhaps there should be some sort of case by case exemption for these people.   

???????????? The requirement was ALSO to prove you earn the equivalent of 65k baht. NOW they want  you to have that money transferred each month into their bank OR have 800k in their bank. 

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Brunolem said:

Older persons are less inclined to engage in big items purchases than younger ones. 

They need more money for small things, such as drinks on the beach, or a new Hawaiian shirt, but that's nothing compared with the amount required for the latest 60" flat screen, or a marble countertop for the kitchen, not to mention the education of the children. 

Many retirees can live a pleasant life in Thailand for much less than 65,000 baht per month. 

In my village, I wouldn't even know how to spend such an amount... 

How does a person in his 70s get insurance? Please give me your wisdom.

5 hours ago, GalaxyMan said:

Thailand does welcome retirees, but they only want retirees that are NOT going to become a burden on their system. Can't blame them at all.

Agreed.  Now how, exactly, do we "become a burden" when we get no freebees here?

They want high-quality (read monied) retirees, not people who can't afford to live in their own home countries.

We can all "afford" to live there - just not enjoy it as much.  If not staying in Thailand, we'd go to the many OTHER countries in this region (or around the world), where we can live much better than our passport-countries.  We live here due to the better cost/benefit ratio cost of living Thailand provides.

Might not seem fair if you're one of those who will be negatively impacted by this, but it's smart from their point of view.

Only if you don't care at all about the tens of thousands of Thais who won't have a job - and who have already lost their careers - due directly to immigration's policies of driving out the people who fund those jobs with foreign-sourced spending.

The real screaming is going to start when they add an insurance requirement to the game. It's only a matter of time, IMHO.

That depends.  Honest insurance that just covers immediate treatment and sending us home in the rare-cases where the foreigner lacks the funds?  That would work - and should especially apply to all short-term tourists, since they are more likely to be younger risk-takers. 

Or, will it be a demand designed to be a cash-cow for the for-profit insurance companies, providing things like outpatient-care, which we would get after being sent home, if we ran out of funds to pay the bills here?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

"A Western retiree in a village probably brings much more to the locals than 10 million Chinese tourists, whose bulk of the money never reaches the Thai population."

What a load of BS. 

True.  No amount of Chinese tourists even brings a single baht to them. 

Even in tourist-areas, 99% of them only spend where the Tour Bus has an "arrangement" for them to spend money - and sometimes 7/11 because there is one within walking-distance of the hotel - where their Tour Agency volume-bargained the management down to a pittance-per-room profit. 

After all, immigration is blocking the would-be Western guests who "stay in Thailand too much" - who paid more and even tipped (gasp), so the hotels have to take what they can get from whatever is left / allowed in.

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

That depends.  Honest insurance that just covers immediate treatment and sending us home in the rare-cases where the foreigner lacks the funds?  That would work - and should especially apply to all short-term tourists, since they are more likely to be younger risk-takers.

Wouldn't that be nice, but the chances of the Thai authorities ever doing anything that actually makes sense is slim and none.

• Like 1

How can one say they want to get rid of the brown envelopes... it used to be mainly police but now that the military have hopped on the wagon the number of brownies has increased dramatically and now nobody knows who they have to hand them too as there are so many with their hands out.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Can't you see that this 50,000 baht is a ridiculous, thought up figure that you came up with?

The 50,000 baht would be blocked on a special account, only to guarantee that the retiree could be repatriated if needed. 

That would not be connected to his financial means of living in Thailand. 

Thailand is very much a "one size fits all" kind of country, which is not surprising since it is first and foremost a military country, never mind who pretends to govern. 

Military, not as in the sense of Alexander's or Bonaparte's strategic minds, but rather as in proudly wearing a brown uniform, whether you are a soldier, a teacher or a postman, and "thinking" like a corporal, implementing and following rules made to fit all, never mind the absurdities. 

In Thailand, if you have 800,000 baht in a bank account, all the doors are open, but if you own a 20 million baht house and carry a black Amex card provided in your home country, well, sorry sir, but let me show you the door. 

In Thailand, if you have a phd in gender studies from the university of Podunk, then the universities will gladly let you "teach" their students. 

But if you are Bill Gates or Steve Jobs, or another of these failures who skipped university, then too bad for you, you are incompetent and the local academics won't even want to speak to you. 

Rules made by minds locked in military straigthjackets.. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JackThompson said:

True.  No amount of Chinese tourists even brings a single baht to them. 

Even in tourist-areas, 99% of them only spend where the Tour Bus has an "arrangement" for them to spend money - and sometimes 7/11 because there is one within walking-distance of the hotel - where their Tour Agency volume-bargained the management down to a pittance-per-room profit. 

After all, immigration is blocking the would-be Western guests who "stay in Thailand too much" - who paid more and even tipped (gasp), so the hotels have to take what they can get from whatever is left / allowed in.

Absolute bar stool nonsense, they spend more than Western tourists

• Like 1