New retiree visa rules bewilder Thai immigration: Source

24 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

I don't trust America.  Frequent government shutdowns.  Nutty politicians.  Many bank failures.  I'd rather put my money in a Thai bank and have money accessible for any emergencies. 

Probably the world's most stable currencies.  I am glad you are not my financial advisor:)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, evadgib said:

I still need not flap until 2020, given this years extn is 'in the bag' as a result of a 'pension letter' purchased just before their cut off date in December ????

So existing extensions and their associated 90 day reporting are exempt of these new intended rule changes until they get renewed the next time?

Edited by StevieDee
spelling

20 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

The problem we are dealing with is a clique who have a "pay us off or leave" perspective.  This has nothing to do with farangs not respecting Thai culture, etc.  That, and the "foreigner who cannot pay his hospital bill," etc, is just a side-show to justify our extortion by the corrupt.

One could argue corruption is Thai culture, so we should all pay it in order to respect Thai culture.

On a side note, since last month I've been transferring 40k/month to my Bangkok bank account through Transferwise. Nice to see my bank book does show it as FTT (Foreign telegraphic transfer). So I might try for an extension next time, just to see.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

Nowhere is written that you have to return to immigration for "the bank check"

And many people never or rarely go to immigration for 90-Days report

Why did you misrepresent what I wrote? My point was that there is no provision for the enforcement of this new rule. As for "nowhere is it written," well, nowhere is it not written either. People need to be aware that they can enforce this any way they want. They could combine the bank check with the 90 day, set up a separate desk for it (that would employ even more people and INCREASE the patronage system), or do a check at your next extension application.  The latter one, however, would be problematic, because then Immigration would be seeing it as your staying in Thailand for "free" for one year.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, StevieDee said:

So existing extensions and their associated 90 day reporting are exempt of these new intended rule changes until they get renewed the next time?

Renewals into June should be ok using just the letter but TiT.

1 minute ago, Sheryl said:

Krung Sri is offering 2% on 36 month fixed deposits. With 800K you'd get around 49k after 3 years.

@UbonJoe, is it certain that fixed deposits will be accepted? I seem to recall in the past that some Imm offices did not accept these as they wanted it to be funds that were readily available  for spending. Of course the new rules not longer focus on funds that can be spent, in fact make most of the money un-spendable so it would make sense to allow fixed deposit...? I'm thinking of just putting 800K into a fixed deposit, will save on transfer fees plus get some interest. ...

Me too. :thumbsup:

Take 500k baht and buy Thai Elite 5 year visa and relax. Better than being their circus dog and jumping thru flaming hoops. 2  months before. 3 months after. 800k baht. Only can take out half. 65k minimum. Lol! Jump dog jump! Buy the Thai Elite and experience true paradise. https://www.thailandelite.com/?locate=en

Screenshot_20190202-123659.png

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Pattaya46 said:

Hum...

Elite Visa: you PAY 500k for 5 year

Extension: you DEPOSIT 800k for as long as you stay

Unsure I would chose the PAY option... :unsure:

Yup... Depends on how you view it. I avoid stress as much as possible. It may not be a viable option for some but for me it's the most comfortable. 

I've given up trying to understand all this, I renewed this week using the 800k, but was going to let it drop (spend it) in the hope of the £ / Baht rate improving.  Now I've transferred more £s in so that I stay above that crucial 800k figure - at least that way I'm "safe".

Next year, once all this has stabilised, I may look at that again.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jacko45k said:

A 12 month bond, 7 months at 400k, and 5 months at 800k. 

In reality I feel it forces a 12 month 800k requirement.

My thought also which is why I am wondering if a fixed deposit account would be accepted.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

I actually considered this and looked into it.

I see no advantage, and considerable disadvantage, to this vs putting 800K into a fixed deposit.

If The "Elite"Visa actually offered any services of use it would be different. but they really don't, especially if you do nto live in Bangkok, Hua Hin or Chonburi.

Couldn't Immigration just as easily change the rules/conditions for Elite? What is to stop them? They already have your non-refundable payment of 500,000. And, is there an insurance requirement that goes along with Elite?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

No secure investments pay more than 2%.  Show me?  Of course keep in mind the exchange rate.  All countries with equivalent infrastructure and cost of living have more stringent rules than Thailand.   

Yes, there is in the US. There at least a few simple saving accounts that do.

18 hours ago, JackThompson said:

Not sure what the rules are here as far as accessing private banking-info - but for that to work, every applicant's account would need to be monitored/checked.

Which ones?  And I mean nice ones, with beaches and warm weather - like you find in Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, and The PI? 

Keep in mind, the visa-costs for staying in Cambodia and the PI are about $350 (11K Baht) / year.  That doesn't include any "money in the bank," etc.  The PI also has retirement-plan options, which skip the renewals and pesky "every-3rd-year" border-bounce flight.

As more people leave Thailand for those locations, business will build up to support those populations, as Thailand languishes.

What was the sample-size of that study?  I have yet to hear any official numbers of unpaid-hospital costs from foreigners.  I wonder what tiny percentage of the VAT taxes we pay it amounts to?

I also support a form of health-insurance - but for every foreigner, including short-term tourists.  Younger people take more risks, after all.  Of course, that would mean the Chinese visitors would have to buy it - and a huge portion of them cannot even afford paying full-price for their VOA - so probably won't happen or TAT's "how many visitors" numbers would crash, with many "Can barely afford the package-tour with discount VOA" Chinese filtered out.

If implemented, it would not be expensive - just a "Stabilize and Send Home" plan to handle the occasional broke-injured/sick foreigner is all that is needed to ensure no Thai ever has to pay for a foreigner's medical problem.

Agreed.  That is the solution for long-term illness, of course - unless one has health-insurance or money to pay the Thais, in which case they could stay.  Where the "fly home" plan fails, is with initial treatment for moto or jet-ski accidents and acute illness that requires treatment to allow safe repatriation.

You could also have mentioned all the money us farang pay for our wives and childrens private medical treatment. I've forked out a few quid over the years. 

19 minutes ago, ajarnmarc said:

I have been searching for the past 6 months to get insurance for health coverage.

Some agencies say can, only to later say can not cover.

So it's not so easy to obtain, 

as I've found out myself.

The coverages that might be possible at an age under 60, 

cost more than the annual visa requirements, 

and I have only been quoted the price for that policy, 

but not approved. 

Which is where things seem to go south; on the actual approval.

I have no serious health issue, never been hospitalized in the 20 years I've stayed here.

Been sent through several physicals at my expense to see about approval, 

only to later be denied without cause.

The entire health industry is a scam and the hospitals know full well how to benefit from it.

Which is why so many are now finding themselves on the gofundme site trying to get out 

from under the outrageous hospital bills they've been slammed with.

Five years back my daughter who is Thai, broke her arm at a play center in one of the shopping malls. Hospital stated it would cost only 280,000 bht to set the arm correctly with pins.

Hospital stay was only two days, including the operation, and Bangkok hospital acted like the charge was just walking around funds.

We paid naturally, as we wanted to get our daughter well asap.

In the end, the arm wasn't set correctly, resulting in the arm being placed at a permanent angle.

So if the IO start to require insurance, which seems very likely they will, it will certainly benefit the few who can obtain it, and of course it will secure an out of control health system, which is just waiting to benefit from the overpriced claims which will follow.

There are a number of good, reliable international expat policies that will cover you after the age of 60. And a few  that will even newly insure you after age 70+.

if you do not have any significant pre-existing conditions I do not understand what your problem has been, unless you have made the mistake of looking only at Thai companies. That is not a good idea.

I readily got insured after age 60 and then again, by a different company when I decided I wanted to change, at age 65. No physicals required and absolutely no problems.

What visa requirement are you referring to? The O-X visa??

• Confused 1