New retiree visa rules bewilder Thai immigration: Source

5 hours ago, tropo said:

Your confidence may be a little premature. Every immigration office makes their own rules and according to a report about 1 week ago (long thread - look it up), the chiefs upstairs at Jomtien Immigration are not willing to accept the monthly bank deposit method. Perhaps they'll change their mind - time will tell.

It isn't only my confidence that's a little premature on occasion. AAAAGH!!! ???? 

Edited by HuskerDo

23 hours ago, simtemple said:

The Philippines requires an initial bank deposit of US $10,000 and it can be used as a deposit to purchase a property.  The added bonus is that there are no greedy Thais and the Filipinos generally speak good English.

Plus U.K. pensions get an annual increase.

Looking more attractive after the latest immigration news 

1 minute ago, Changoverandout said:

Plus U.K. pensions get an annual increase.

Looking more attractive after the latest immigration news 

I'm curious Chang. Why is it you didn't choose PI over Thailand in the first place? Same question to everyone else stating they are now moving to PI. What happens when PI changes their requirements? Going to move again or make a stand somewhere? 

4 minutes ago, HuskerDo said:

I'm curious Chang. Why is it you didn't choose PI over Thailand in the first place? Same question to everyone else stating they are now moving to PI. What happens when PI changes their requirements? Going to move again or make a stand somewhere? 

I chose Thailand for two reasons, I walked into a high street travel agent and asked for a cheap long haul flight.

1) the flight Heathrow to Bangkok was on special offer 240 pounds return.

2)  a 1 year 'over 50s' VISA cost 120 pounds, by post, no questions asked.

In 2009 the Philippines wasn't even offered as a holiday destination from the UK.

(Same for Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, Malaysia, China)

Zero thinking on my part, cheap flight and easy VISA did the job.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

I chose Thailand for two reasons.

1) the flight was on special offer 240 pounds return.

2) they sold me a 1 year VISA for 120 pounds, by post, no questions asked.

In 2009 the Philippines wasn't even offered as a holiday destination from the UK.

(Same for Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, Malaysia, China)

Zero thinking on my part, cheap flight and easy VISA did the job.

Good points.

23 hours ago, simtemple said:

The Philippines requires an initial bank deposit of US $10,000 and it can be used as a deposit to purchase a property.  The added bonus is that there are no greedy Thais and the Filipinos generally speak good English.

No they don't.

As far as I know they ask you to sign a declaration that you have $10,000 (which we all did).

I've never heard of anyone being asked for a bank deposit in any country, or even a bank statement.

But most people I know didn't bother with a long term VISA, they just extended the VISA waiver on entry for 3 years, then border hop overnight and start again. After 2 months of extensions they gave you an ID card so you could interact with the banks and utility companies.

"An ACR I-Card is a microchip based, credit card-sized, identification card issued to all registered aliens whose stay in the Philippines has exceeded fifty-nine (59) days. It also has an embedded computer chip with biometric security features capable of data management and can be updated electronically."

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

No they don't.

As far as I know they ask you to sign a declaration that you have $10,000 (which we all did).

I've never heard of anyone being asked for a bank deposit in any country, or even a bank statement.

"(which we all did)."?

So you live in PI too?

Edited by HuskerDo

14 hours ago, SheungWan said:

Risk of exchange rate variations is part of the expat experience. Prudence or otherwise one's own factoring in. Nobody else's responsibility.

Yes entirely correct.  But the nature of that task was once a doddle. Just check my baht balance a day or so before I do my extension and top up if required.

Now I am forced to monitor the balance every day AND make any PREEMPTIVE top up in anticipation of (entirely unpredictable) events such as currency corrections, flash crashes, and (heaven forbid) military coups. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, HuskerDo said:

"(which we all did)."?

So you live in TI too?

Part of the extension process if you wanted to stay beyond the initial 30 days waiver, more of a long holiday for me, but my pals were there 6 months- 5 years.

Edited by BritManToo

5 minutes ago, HuskerDo said:

Then what? They moved back to their home country? Moved to another place in SEA? Died?

No.

If they were pals of BritManToo they would have wrote a memoir entitled: Life in a Philippine prison.

Edited by Khaeng Mak

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

They're in Phnom Penh now (2 Brits, 1 Aussie), Cambodian VISA works out at a fraction over $1/day.

I met up with them in Siam Reap last month for a week.

Earlier this year, I met up with them in HCMC for 10 days.

SEA has lots of great countries to stay, if you don't have a wife or kids, why limit yourself to one?

Good point except for the fact that the language barriers would be huge.

On 2/1/2019 at 5:07 PM, Sheryl said:

This is the thing that changed. the money now not only needs to be seasoned in advance (seemingly 2 rather than 3 months) but also cannot be touched for 3 months after, and even then only half of it can ever be spent.

it is basically a 400K bond that has to be posted and maintained. But badly worded/designed.

I wonder how would this be checked. Will retirees have to provide a bank statement showing all transactions for the entire year when they do their renewal? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Khaeng Mak said:

Yes entirely correct.  But the nature of that task was once a doddle. Just check my baht balance a day or so before I do my extension and top up if required.

Now I am forced to monitor the balance every day AND make any PREEMPTIVE top up in anticipation of (entirely unpredictable) events such as currency corrections, flash crashes, and (heaven forbid) military coups. 

Then you better put in more baht so you have more time to worry about other things.

On 2/1/2019 at 8:56 PM, ocddave said:

The world is run on computers, they should really get Immigration up to speed, thus ending the piles of papers every year, 90 days, etc. While doing so, they should also have a simple login for checking Thai bank records on foreign Visa holders, or better yet, have it automatically update a database at Immigration with the information. Then we just show up with our Passport in hand, they look it us up on a computer, and viola all the information is already present, then stamp our passport and move on.

so a kind of USA Big Brother control .... Am not ready or happy with that if that would be the case you suggested

On 2/1/2019 at 9:37 PM, Andrew Dwyer said:

It is ( currently) 2 months for the first extension then 3 months after that.

The new ruling ( starting March 1st ) states 2 months before renewal then 3 months after , although this is not etched in stone and could well be 3 before and 3 after .

Whatever the ruling confusion will abound and no doubt some IO’s will interpret the rules differently.

Jeez how many times do we have to repeat that :Yes 2 months on first extension and then 3 thereafter for all other extensions ....

Yes, you need 800,000 if you live in Bangkok or Pattaya or Phuket. If you want to live in the countryside, or any town designated as "in need" by the Thai government, they should be happy to welcome all comers. We live in a divided world, the top 10% who have 90% of the wealth, and then the rest of us. After 5 years of maintaining a residence in a poor area all restrictions would be lifted. By then you would be used to employing a maid and cook and won't want to live in a Bangkok broom closet.

1 hour ago, jesimps said:

Aren't you a good boy then. Bet you were the teacher's pet in school. Also bet that the rest of the kids gave you a regular arse kicking.

I'll take both those bets. Can you remind me what the odds were on each? ???? 

Oh wait! Gambling is illegal in Thailand. Nevermind! 

18 minutes ago, Mac98 said:

Yes, you need 800,000 if you live in Bangkok or Pattaya or Phuket. If you want to live in the countryside, or any town designated as "in need" by the Thai government, they should be happy to welcome all comers. We live in a divided world, the top 10% who have 90% of the wealth, and then the rest of us. After 5 years of maintaining a residence in a poor area all restrictions would be lifted. By then you would be used to employing a maid and cook and won't want to live in a Bangkok broom closet.

Actually you don't need that much, not even close, in Pattaya, if you own your own housing and/or you aren't doing the nightlife.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, GAZZPA said:

Just read this, seems simpler and fairer then Thailand, not to mention cheaper. Deposit is a one time 20,000 usd and you can withdraw and invest locally with it. Seems much better then Thailands ever complicated visa application processes. Seems the new rules are simply designed to push out the foreigners, well it's working a treat so they should be applauded for their success.

I also hear quite a few retirees going to Spain, heard this a lot now as Asia is just not worth the effort for what is not a lot cheaper and frankly Spains weather is better. Also, if European then easier for language and healthcare.

I still work here but hearing the retirees around me unless you are stuck with family time to get out of LOS.

Absolutely agree with you ... did a one-month trip to Spain in July to investigate living / moving there and loved it... The north part that is and particularly Bilbao....

• Like 1

On 2/1/2019 at 10:54 AM, youreavinalaff said:

The money must now be in the bank 2 months before AND 3 months after.

... and 3 months after you have been granted visa you can only take out half (400k) where the other half (400k) cannot be touched during the visa period - it doesn't make any sense as the 800k in the bank option was originally an alternative for those who wasn't able to show an income of 65k month adding up to 780thb for the whole year meaning the requirement for actual living expenses are just 400k for the bank option (since the remaining 400k cannot be touched)  then the monthly income requirement should as well be lowered accordingly ....

Edited by ttrd
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, ttrd said:

... and 3 months after you have been granted visa you can only take out half (400k) where the other half (400k) cannot be touched during the visa period - it doesn't make any sense as the 800k in the bank option was originally an alternative for those who wasn't able to show an income of 65k month adding up to 780thb for the whole year meaning the requirement for living expenses are just 400k for the bank option then the income requirement should as well be lowered accordingly ....

Well it's their country thus their prerogative to change the rules whenever they want for whatever reason they want. It's a country in SEA and not anything like what you knew back home. People just need to accept this fact. You don't need to like it (and many farangs don't) but you do need to accept it. Sorry! Complaining, while it helps with the frustration part of the situation, does nothing to change it.

Edited by HuskerDo
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, pontious said:

I doubt IO will know any bank codes -FTT - SMT - I think IO will want to see 65000 minimum per month - that's it . Do I know that - NO -But

I think people are getting paranoid over this. The world is not about to end. As far as I know.????

Stop trying to convince yourself. The requirements are  clear. They want a letter from the bank to confirm 12 deposits from abroad deposited into a Thai bank. 

The IO will go by this letter,  not any other fandangled way you can prove it got there via TW, your bank statement or anyway  else. Direct International transfers which appear in your book with whatever the relative International code is for your bank., then you get the letter. 

The ones getting paranoid know the requirement and still want to use the cheapest method I.e TW and hope for the best. The rest are doing via Swift and taking a hit on the cost and not living in hope as they know how it will arrive in their account. 

Edited by Kadilo
  • Like 1

So the way I understand this is 800k in the bank for 3 months to get your extension (or 2 months if it's a first extension), then you need to keep your balance over 800k for the following 3 months, and then a minimum of 400k for the next 6 months, before topping it back to over 800k for 3 months in time for next years extension.

No need to show any funds coming into the country (so TW can be used throughout), and no minimum spend necessary.  If you want to live on eg. 20-30k/month you can do so.

BUT, if the balance drop below 800/400k at any point in the preceding year (eg. for an emergency situation)  then the next extension would be denied, requiring a border hop for a Visa Exempt 30day (or alternatives), and then convert to a 3 month non-Imm O, and then extend .

But to make the conversion you need to show the money coming from abroad... this might prove difficult if you've already brought it in using (eg.) TW over the preceding year.