U.S. judge mulls gag order on talkative Trump adviser Stone

rooster59

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

False equivalency. If only the prosecution is prosecuting him, only the defense can defend him, yes?

Actually, the false equivalency is saying that only the defense can defend him. In a court of law, that's the case. But, should a gag order be instituted, anybody else but Roger Stone, his defense team, and the Justice Dept. are free to defend or vilify Stone in the media or elsewhere.

9 hours ago, Boon Mee said:

That's it. Put a gag order on someone who is trying to defend himself. 

America is truly living through a dystopian Orwellian tragedy. 

I do believe he will have ample opportunity to defend himself where it counts. In a court of law.

His mouthing off at all and sundry is not backed up by the accountability of swearing to tell the truth in front of judge and jurors.

His mouthing off has as much reliability as Mt Trumps twit posts.Just because a bunch of liars has been told that he

is probably giving the prosecution the ability to introduce his remarks against him. He should zip it as anyone charged with an offence should do.

6 hours ago, Hanaguma said:

Actually, they don't. Particularly when arresting someone accused of simple process crimes, not violent activity or espionage or other dangerous things. Most of the time, the FBI calls the accused's lawyer and they arrange a pick up. Or a pair of agents knocks on his door. Definitely not a pre-dawn raid with automatic weapons at the ready. 

As for CNN, it is obvious that they were tipped by someone. Stone isn't that big a deal to have a film crew outside his house 24 hours a day.  

It seems that so many of Mr Trumps team have so many "simple process Crime" outstanding against them. It is all stacking up bit by bit.

A bunch of potential criminals who do "simple process crimes". I said potential so as to not slander all of them.

I am sure there are one or two not criminal ones among them.

7 hours ago, Hanaguma said:

Now they want to shut him up. hmmm.....

He and his attorney(s) are free to say all they want in court, which is the proper place for the criminal case against him to be weighed and adjudicated.

PS - Just imagine what Trump's going to be like when he gets criminally prosecuted... The judge had better have a barrelful of gag orders, and an army of federal marshals to enforce them. :tongue:

"self-proclaimed "dirty trickster" and Republican political"

From Wikipedia: He has described his political modus operandi as "Attack, attack, attack – never defend" and "Admit nothing, deny everything, launch counterattack

What a great team Trump assembled. These "birds of a feather" sure did "flock together".

9 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Yes, after two years there must have been a lot of evidence laying around waiting to be destroyed moments after the FBI shows up...

Yeah, that's it, a big pile of computer disks and whatnot waiting to be wiped with a giant magnet while the FBI is storming the residence...

Hey, and a lot of memos and damaging notes on flash-paper ready to be torched at a moment's notice...

If you had read the news a little closer you would have noted that the main evidence the FBI sought to preserve was not directly on the devices themselves, but rather traces leading to other devices or cloud accounts which were believed to have been used by Stone in an effort to communicate secretly with Russia and thwart authorities. If you understood how evidence is constructed, you would know that it is done in chains and in causal links. Carefully constructing each chain and causal link is traced to extract the truth and is the work of investigators.

So, yes, many personnel were deployed to secure those devices and accounts, because no matter how careful a perp is in destroying evidence, usually there is some trace that can be linked by a careful investigator.

Or, you can believe that this was a sting larger than Bin Laden because the FBI hates Trump.

4 hours ago, keemapoot said:

If you had read the news a little closer you would have noted that the main evidence the FBI sought to preserve was not directly on the devices themselves, but rather traces leading to other devices or cloud accounts which were believed to have been used by Stone in an effort to communicate secretly with Russia and thwart authorities. If you understood how evidence is constructed, you would know that it is done in chains and in causal links. Carefully constructing each chain and causal link is traced to extract the truth and is the work of investigators.

So, yes, many personnel were deployed to secure those devices and accounts, because no matter how careful a perp is in destroying evidence, usually there is some trace that can be linked by a careful investigator.

Or, you can believe that this was a sting larger than Bin Laden because the FBI hates Trump.

So if "...no matter how careful a perp is in destroying evidence, usually there is some trace that can be linked by a careful investigator."

What was the hurry?

I don't think it was a sting anywhere close to the Bin Laden operation and I don't think the FBI hates anyone.

2 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

So if "...no matter how careful a perp is in destroying evidence, usually there is some trace that can be linked by a careful investigator."

What was the hurry?

I don't think it was a sting anywhere close to the Bin Laden operation and I don't think the FBI hates anyone.

The hurry was that prior to the arrest and search warrant, the FBI had no legal right to gather and collect the evidence, so that once they do have that warrant, they need to ensure it is done in the most comprehensive manner possible with as many people are needed (depending on the showing of probability that the perp may destroy or dispose of evidence). So, sure, no hurry with no warrant as it's not legal . Big hurry with warrant with slimeball perp as it's legal to collect evidence.

Of course this operation was nothing compared with the Bin Laden operation, but we do have some rabidly blind Trump supporters on here who have posted they thought this operation was equivalent, and moreover, who somehow believe there is a vast conspiracy among the more than 35,000 members of the FBI to bring Trump down. Evidently you are not one of these, so my apologies if you felt I was directing this at you.

A gag order is worthless. The same judge placed a gag order on Manafort who broke that order. Sure, he's doing time, but breaking the gag order made no difference in his case. Stone knows this, hell he LOVES the attention, and a gag order would just make his statements all the more titillating.

42 minutes ago, keemapoot said:

Of course this operation was nothing compared with the Bin Laden operation, but we do have some rabidly blind Trump supporters on here who have posted they thought this operation was equivalent, and moreover, who somehow believe there is a vast conspiracy among the more than 35,000 members of the FBI to bring Trump down. Evidently you are not one of these, so my apologies if you felt I was directing this at you.

Was your response not directed at me?

1 minute ago, Yellowtail said:

Was your response not directed at me?

I see you are new to this forum. When someone raises a point that others wish to respond to, it does not necessarily infer that the respondent is directing the post at the original poster. 

On 2/2/2019 at 1:54 PM, Boon Mee said:

That's it. Put a gag order on someone who is trying to defend himself. 

America is truly living through a dystopian Orwellian tragedy. 

Be fair - he's not a Democrat and openly supports someone they revile because their lovely anointed Hilary, who they cheated to select as their candidate lost the election they all thought in the bag!

Democratic free speech - as long as they agree with what's being said and who's saying it!  

A gag order is standard procedure.

" Gag orders are a form of prior restraint that prohibit parties, lawyers, prosecutors, witnesses, law enforcement officials, jurors and others from talking to the press. Frequently such orders are sought by one party in a case, although judges may issue gag orders on their own initiative."

https://www.rcfp.org/

Gag orders are also used as not to contaminate a jury pool.

10 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

What was the hurry?

"I don't think the FBI hates anyone"

Wrong

In defence of domestic security, the FBI hates all threats to security. That is their mandate.

7 hours ago, sirineou said:

Gag orders are also used as not to contaminate a jury pool.

Yes.  With this jackass all over the media it will make it hard to select a jury.

The defense will try to have the case moved to a place they will claim is less affected by the media, like, say, Fargo North Dakota -- a deeply red state.  They already tried this with Manafort, the judge didn't go for it.

For decades this fellow has bragged about his mastery of the arts of deception, etc.  You can be as sure of monkey business from him as you can be sure McDonald's is selling hamburgers: pretty damn silly to argue otherwise.

1 hour ago, bendejo said:

Yes.  With this jackass all over the media it will make it hard to select a jury.

The defense will try to have the case moved to a place they will claim is less affected by the media, like, say, Fargo North Dakota -- a deeply red state.  They already tried this with Manafort, the judge didn't go for it.

For decades this fellow has bragged about his mastery of the arts of deception, etc.  You can be as sure of monkey business from him as you can be sure McDonald's is selling hamburgers: pretty damn silly to argue otherwise.

In another thread concerning income inequality I said" because the foxes are running the chicken coop, and the chicken can't understand why they are being eaten" Then I followed up, "but they the chickens have it coming because they defend the foxes right to run the chicken coop, in the hope that one day they will become foxes too, and enjoy a delicious chicken dinner"

I see some of the above dynamic going on here. regular Joes  who in other threads complain about an 800k requirement  in the bank for an extension to stay, defending Roger Stone. a man who his whole life's work has being "eating chicken"  

Archived