Body itching all over

rascalman

Start with the easiest and most obvious; Environmental factors.

Over exposure to the sun? Change the brand of soap and detergent  used. Next up is water. Some areas have over chlorinated to address the deficiencies in water supply, while others have pollutants in the water.

Next  is to determine if it is insect related, like a skin mite infestation, or bed bugs etc.. Next, verify for  mold and dust.  Most of the time it is environmental. Rule out the easiest first and then move on to a medical issue.

2 hours ago, rascalman said:

Or mostly all over.

any cats or dogs in the house? 

don't forget UV radiation will perpetrate your shirt. especially your back and shoulders.

i had to get water filters for my house. water is totally contaminated.

do you swim in the ocean? i itch like crazy after going in the water in Hua Hin. Filthy. so i stopped doing that.

and just having to take so many showers really strips your skin of it oil.

who does your laundry? some Thai laundries use some sort of soap that really smells of chemicals. not sure what it is.

I got bitten by tiny red ants a couple of years ago,(they were actually in my pants) I had a bit of a reaction, itching all over not just where they nipped me,my scalp was driving me nuts itching and sweating,and red and sore in my crotch where they nipped me.its funny now they got into my underwear and you almost need a magnifying glass to see them.

I was the same, local hospital said it is an allergy, a reaction to chemicals etc in food, clothing, atmosphere etc. Gave me an injection in the bum, anti-histamines, cream and moisturiser. Cleared up quickly though I did have a bit of a reaction to the tabs.

When I get a recurrence I take half an anti-histamine every two days. The itching was torture, but mainly Ok now.

As there are many causes a couple of "odd" points I cannot see mentioned as possibilities:-

- depending on where you live the winter season and now as we are moving in to summer there can be lots of small sand / dust particles in the air, especially when the wind blows from the China deserts.

- the wind as mentioned above can cause high static which can cause itching especially if wearing nylon or polyester clothes.   Wearing cotton clothes, if possible, may help alleviate the itching.

- if you live in an apartment that has carpets the static again can be cause as well as dust mites.

- dry laundry outside out to help prevent dust particles which may have become embedded in the clothes from coming in to contact with your body.

-if using only fans to cool your body these also create a lot of static, as can be seen by the dust collected on the fan blade.

- use cotton bed linen.

- obviously as many have mentioned what you eat with or without chemicals added can be a major cause of allergic responses.

Good luck in finding  the cause and treatment.

Thanks for imputs. No do not drink nothing new taken, same meds etc. I went to hospital got some cream and pills that really put me to sleep. I continue to have itching but better.

Thanks for no nonsense ideas. 

On 2/3/2019 at 1:16 AM, NCC1701A said:

any cats or dogs in the house? 

don't forget UV radiation will perpetrate your shirt. especially your back and shoulders.

i had to get water filters for my house. water is totally contaminated.

do you swim in the ocean? i itch like crazy after going in the water in Hua Hin. Filthy. so i stopped doing that.

and just having to take so many showers really strips your skin of it oil.

who does your laundry? some Thai laundries use some sort of soap that really smells of chemicals. not sure what it is.

Water filter, yes, and look around they are not that expensive and not difficult to install, a worthwhile lower cost unit probably less than what more families pay for bottled water in say 12 to 18 months.

And don't forget many brands of local bottled water don't pass international tests. 

em yea, got that twice recently. no rash or external signs, just random everywhere itching. happened to my x some years back and pharmacy said eat an antihistamine. worked for her. i did same, tiny little antihistamine tablet wiped me out sleepy for 12hrs. next day the itch was gone. still not sure of the cause.

I was sure my itching especially at night was due to to the same source of vegetarian food and orange juice that accumulated over 10 days in Chiang Mai. Had to take Benadryl each night to stop the itching. Surmised it was some sort of pesticide poisoning from unwashed fruits and vegetables. Went to the hospital and asked to test for pesticides and they told me there is no test for pesticides. And though I am not a doctor I somehow know that the liver processes toxins especially late in the evening or at bedtime. Once I removed myself from the source of the toxins the itching soon went away. After this experience I really tried to buy vegetables and fruits that I thought we're less contaminated from the more reputable stores in my area. Most people in this forum have chosen to look for the answer in all sorts of areas. Most of the itchiness I find comes from either swimming in the sea or from the food that we eat. It has been 3 years since my experience and there have been many studies done on pesticides produced by European scientists and some of them have been published in articles on thaivisa. The cause of itchiness in Thailand isn't necessarily the same as what one would experience in a western country. I wish there was more mindfulness of the problem.

On 2/3/2019 at 1:05 AM, geriatrickid said:

Start with the easiest and most obvious; Environmental factors.

Over exposure to the sun? Change the brand of soap and detergent  used. Next up is water. Some areas have over chlorinated to address the deficiencies in water supply, while others have pollutants in the water.

Next  is to determine if it is insect related, like a skin mite infestation, or bed bugs etc.. Next, verify for  mold and dust.  Most of the time it is environmental. Rule out the easiest first and then move on to a medical issue.

Good post, good advice and I did just this when I developed some itchy rashes in various places on the body, however despite trying the methodical approach like you suggested, it still persisted.

About five visits to the dermatologist (actually three dermatologists) at two different hospitals over three months didn't seem to do much, however the last dermatologist did take a blood test and prescribe different antihistamines to the others, as well as prednisolone.

The blood test showed nothing untoward and the prednisolone helped, and I had to try many antihistamines to get one that suited me because otherwise I was walking around like a zombie most of the day.

Eventually I did get one antihistamine (Rupafin) which seemed to do the trick and now appear to be mostly free of rashes.

I did buy some baby mild laundry liquid for my clothes and asked the laundry lady to use this, and stop using softeners and so on, so that might have also helped. In addition to this I got all of the clothes out of my wardrobe and had her wash them again in this way.

From my experience and those of others I have spoken to, most of the time it's trial and error, however the dust and pollen factor is one which is mentioned by all of the dermatologists.

I just hope I don't get it again because months of itchy sleepless nights, followed by many, many weeks of drowsiness do not make for a pleasant existence!

1 hour ago, kensisaket said:

I have found that most entire body itching outbreaks are caused by an allergic reaction to some type of food/medicine.  It's in your best interest to find the cause; because, body reactions tend to get more severe with each new exposure. 

Agree but would add to that contact dermatitis i.e. allergy to something your skin comes into contact with.

if it is something from the water? i.e some bug...

in Mrs' case, it took a complete bottle of Calamine Lotion to clear her up...

it later turned out the water was so bad; that one shouldn't even shower in it, let alone brush one's teeth!

As some other members have mentioned already, using a moisturizer will help stop the itching.

The itching sensation is basically caused by dry skin, and if you use a product like paw paw ointment (which is predominantly petroleum jelly along with some fermented paw paw enzymes to promote healing) you will experience relief within minutes.

It may not help with the source of your irritation/infection, but it will certainly relieve the symptoms. 

Also drink a lot of water - stay well hydrated.

If the itchiness is on the arms or legs, sometimes it helps to apply a plastic cling wrap over the moisturized affected area... this allows the product to really get into the skin and also prevents it from being rubbed off.

Archived