Do you ride different with ABS?

OneMoreFarang

Until about a year ago I never had a car or bike with ABS. I was used to "normal" braking and that was always fine with me.

Now I have since a couple of months a bike with ABS (KTM Duke 390). I know it's there, but I never "used" ABS. I didn't change my riding style.

Today I rode on a road about 100km/h and first everybody braked because there was a truck which sprayed water and the road was wet. Later the road was dirty with lots of sand on the road. And I thought: If I have to brake hard would I do it like always or would I brake knowing I have ABS and ABS will make sure my wheels won't stop.

I think I wouldn't want to rely on my ABS.

How about you? If you have a bike with ABS do you ride different and brake harder and rely on your ABS?

I am pretty sure until now my ABS was almost never active. I had a few times when I know my rear ABS was active (pulsing in the brake pedal). And I had one time that the front ABS was active when I braked hard with maybe 10km/h. Otherwise I am pretty sure ABS was never "active" (not sure about the proper term).

My personal view if you keep activating ABS your a bad driver/rider. ????

I not all anti ABS though, my son has cornering ABS on his bike which I think is good tech and only thing it's good for.

My present bike don't have ABS my Versys 650 did but I never use it ever, don't even know if it worked.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

If you have a bike with ABS do you ride different and brake harder and rely on your ABS?

I take it easy. the front dual ABS on my Kawasaki Versys 650 are very smooth and super powerful. Your bike will stop on a dime. Unfortunately you might continue on without it. :shock1:

Years ago one of my favorite things to do once in a blue moon was just slam on my brakes just to hear my tires scream and make some smoke but then I got  a Land Rover with ABS and that was the last time I could get the car to do anything fun. No matter how hard I slammed on the bakes. Nothing, just total control and a boring stop. Sometimes some chatter going over a huge pot hole.  

If ABS activates it means you did apply the brakes too stong, if you would always brake optimal ABS would never activate.

When driving straight on a dry road i brake the same way with both ABS and non-ABS bikes, i try to hit the 99% break pressure point just before the wheels lock. In case the whees should lock, it's not a too big deal because i don't risk to fall.

When i'm driving on a slippy road, or am in a curve, or both, i definitely brake different. If the bike has ABS i don't mind pressing the brake hard (trying to hit the 99% point again), because i know if my wheel locks the ABS kicks in and safes my ass. If i'm on a bike without ABS i use the brake way softer in this situation, because i'm afraid to lock the wheels and fall, this does of course make the distance i travel before comming to a stop way longer than necessary

9 minutes ago, jackdd said:

When i'm driving on a slippy road, or am in a curve, or both, i definitely brake different. If the bike has ABS i don't mind pressing the brake hard (trying to hit the 99% point again),

Careful there on a curve if the bike has basic ABS it can still have you off. 

I have zero experience with ABS on a bike myself, but of course used on cars and I have done a lot of reading on this for bikes,  generally the consensus is:

1- If you are riding straight on any condition,  wet,  sand etc.,  just slam the breaks and generally you will be fine on ABS, hopefully no skid or loss of control. 

2- If going down a steep slope,  ABS might cause your bike not to stop completely at all, and keep going,  remember that...! It could be a situation where it's better to put the bike down and survive than going under a truck or off a cliff...!

3- Now on the corners, unless you have special Cornering ABS, which only a few expensive bikes have, ABS may not be saving you, if you have any lean after ABS activated it could up-right you and take you to the ditch or just put you down anyway. The very momentary wheel luck could be enough to the take the handle out of your control and you will be reacting to it and going down in a corner , specially if wet or slippery....

I wish a few people would try this and put it on YouTube,  it would be great to see it in action rather than everyone speculating about it... 

4- Also in dirt road ABS could actually be bad,  because you want to skid to control and stop the bike,  this is where they say a switchable ABS is very useful... 

All from my reading.

• Like 2

I needed the ABS on my Versys a couple of times when some idiot in a car/truck pulled out in front of me and I had to apply full brakes and since I know my bike got ABS I just brake as much as possible, not thinking but only react. 

Wife's new Filano got front brake with ABS and I think it's awesome, tried braking on a stretch of road with sand on it and it worked flawless.

I will never buy a big bike without ABS again for sure but I can live without it on a scooter.

• Like 2

No I dont ride different with ABS

If your riding and have abs cutting in then I would suggest your not in control/overcooking things a bit...

Have never changed my riding style with ABS, now duel breaking bikes on the other hand? maybe but this is loved or loathed by many the bikes I have owned with it I think have been good in the brake dept 

A bit off topic, but I read Honda Forza even with ABS on both front and back wheels uses the CBS,  combined breaking system,  what is the point of that if you have ABS on both ends... ! ? 

So the back break handle when used, as well as back also engages front break...!  While front handle only engages front.

Is there an easy way to disable it, I always thought this could be dangerous in some situations and also confusing....?  

I can't remember the last car I had which didn't have ABS...  it was probably while back at Uni.

It doesn't change the way I drive... ABS has come on when breaking hard in the wet - I'm glad I have it. 

I have ABS on my bikes (TriCity & G310GS) - I've never ridden a bike without ABS and never will, I would never have started riding a bike without ABS - Its probably because I'm not an experience rider, I'm probably quite rubbish !!... 

The ABS has engaged on both bikes... In traffic, wet road, checking a blind spot before changing lanes only to turn back and the car in front has stopped...  in grabbing a handful of brake the ABS came on - I'm very glad it did as on one of those occasions I'm sure I'd have dropped the bike (G310GS) - the TriCity has 2x front wheels and greater front wheel stability (which is the reason as a newbie I chose that bike). 

It seems that a lot of people dislike ABS, it seems there is some 'ego' involved with not needing it or it identifies a poor rider... However, in traffic as unpredictable as Bangkoks I'm glad I have it as anything can happen at any time and when I have to slam on the anchors for an idiot (or my own mistake) stability and traction is maintained... 

You should know the ABS is for when you are breaking to hard, your wheels will not block and you keep grip on the wheels. As when they block you could loose control. Its a safety instrument. However if you have to break that hard then anticipating on traffic should be learned, then your system holds back. You know it works by the puls breaking.

I dont know if its adjusted/set right, maybe to early? Though i think its the combination of breaking and the pulses coming from your sensors on the wheel as detecting a wheelstop while breaking. The ribbed circular rings on your brake system. I drive a bking without abs , but wished i had them, its a protection. Never the less i anticipate a lot, as i have to do without and the very good brakes can easily block the wheel. I dont come up with a 140 to a car or whatever and hard pull my brakes. But its a very good system if you need to do an emergency brake, sliding rubber doesnt give you control over your bike.  

1 hour ago, Agusts said:

A bit off topic, but I read Honda Forza even with ABS on both front and back wheels uses the CBS,  combined breaking system,  what is the point of that if you have ABS on both ends... ! ? 

So the back break handle when used, as well as back also engages front break...!  While front handle only engages front.

Is there an easy way to disable it, I always thought this could be dangerous in some situations and also confusing....?  

Yes, there is an easy way to disable it. Don't buy a Forza! ???? 

• Haha 1

Thanks for all the comments!

I guess one of these days I will test my ABS a little. First on an empty good road straight to get a feeling of how it works. And then maybe in a curve, maybe on some dirt, etc.

I am sure first I will be reluctant to try because it's against what I did for many years (careful braking). 

But I guess it's a lot better to know how it feels before I come into an emergency situation when it is actually needed.

On 2/3/2019 at 5:37 PM, Jdiddy said:

It sure is nice having abs and traction control in the wet but its even better being able to turn it all off when you want to do some wheelies and burnouts

Like the hoolighan Thai kids do!

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Thanks for all the comments!

I guess one of these days I will test my ABS a little. First on an empty good road straight to get a feeling of how it works. And then maybe in a curve, maybe on some dirt, etc.

I am sure first I will be reluctant to try because it's against what I did for many years (careful braking). 

But I guess it's a lot better to know how it feels before I come into an emergency situation when it is actually needed.

a couple times a year I go somewhere safe to test my emergency breaking and to ensure I understand and recognise how my bikes feel under heavy breaking from various speeds

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MadMuhammad said:

a couple times a year I go somewhere safe to test my emergency breaking and to ensure I understand and recognise how my bikes feel under heavy breaking from various speeds

Sounds interesting. Maybe you can describe your experience of doing that. What do you learn from it?

The acceptance of riding a bike with ABS has been a slow process for me. I have had bikes with ABS for around 6 years now. I am about halfway there in terms of any changes in riding style. I still won't dare lock up the front, which in theory, shouldn't lock up. I am much more comfortable locking up the back, and so activating the rear ABS so it doesn't lock up. It took me around 4 years to get there.

I ride pretty much the same as normal with ABS or no ABS although I am very conscious when riding my non ABS bikes that I don't have it.

If you have it, it's really nice to have adjustable ABS. I have it adjustable on one of my bikes and I keep it set to level 3 of 9 (1 of 9 being the lowest). On the bike that has non adjustable ABS I find it kicks in too early and the rear pedal pulses quite a bit even when braking reasonably hard, it would be nice to turn it down a bit especially on the rear where locking up momentarily is no big deal.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

And then maybe in a curve,

If your bike is basic ABS sometimes termed as straight line ABS be careful tested it on curves, could have you off .

Edited by Kwasaki

ABS  is   almost  always  "active"  if it  has good  sensors. For  vehicles  with  4 wheels or two it is designed  for  idiot proofing. That can be problematic  if  the  driver/rider  assumes  some  sense of  control in  some situations.

If  you  "feel" the ABS system  kick in then it is too late and  hopefully  appropriate for the situation.

Most  times  on a  straight  line  and  smooth  surface  it  is.

If you  want  personal control  in any  other situation deactivate  it. ( pull the relay)

• Confused 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/3/2019 at 3:45 PM, jackdd said:

If ABS activates it means you did apply the brakes too stong, if you would always brake optimal ABS would never activate.

When driving straight on a dry road i brake the same way with both ABS and non-ABS bikes, i try to hit the 99% break pressure point just before the wheels lock. In case the whees should lock, it's not a too big deal because i don't risk to fall.

When i'm driving on a slippy road, or am in a curve, or both, i definitely brake different. If the bike has ABS i don't mind pressing the brake hard (trying to hit the 99% point again), because i know if my wheel locks the ABS kicks in and safes my ass. If i'm on a bike without ABS i use the brake way softer in this situation, because i'm afraid to lock the wheels and fall, this does of course make the distance i travel before comming to a stop way longer than necessary

Well yes and know,

ABS is good, no doubt about that, but on some models it just sucks in some situations :

it can kick in way too early at low speed, the feeling is awkward but that's not the problem, the problem is that it can really sucks at low speed because you don't get the braking power that you were expecting, the bike just goes and goes cause of the ABS releasing some braking power.

Now i've seen that only at low speed, all good at high speeds.

Definitely not the case for all the bikes, but on some at least it really is, anyone has experienced this also here ? On which model ?