New financial regulations for retirees: Nearly a third of expats may have to leave - but half on Facebook say they're off!

webfact

12 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

"payable on death" option, in which case on presentation of death certificate bank will directly release the funds to the beneficiary you indicated, no need to go to court

When I first arrived in Thailand in 2009, I was very surprised to learn that Thai banks don't do  POD  or allow you to list a beneficiary.  The only thing you can do is make a joint account. Pretty clear that they want to keep your money when you die as they make it VERY hard to get it back.  As Sheryl said,  if you have someone in Thailand that you care about, just leave them the ATM card/pin  or online banking info so they can get the money.  That may not be 100% legal but it should work. Generally I am very positive about the Thai banking system EXCEPT  for this detail. 

I doubt it will be as high as 50 percent, but easily at least 20 percent and could be much higher, and Thailand already had a really bad reputation internationally for visa hassles, inconsistencies, and jerk arounds for retirement that they have well earned over the years. Word will definitely get out that they jumped the shark (intentionally used somewhat incorrectly) to much worse and fewer westerners anyway will be coming to replace them. That may be the plan but I don't pretend to understand the motivations behind the stuff thrown at us. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, CMNightRider said:

I have never seen any information indicating an easy way to get Thai citizenship.  

I think the idea is first you have to be born a woman. Then marry a Thai man. Other than that, prepare for a red tape marathon and world class hoop jumping circus acts.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, how241 said:

When I first arrived in Thailand in 2009, I was very surprised to learn that Thai banks don't do  POD  or allow you to list a beneficiary.  The only thing you can do is make a joint account. Pretty clear that they want to keep your money when you die as they make it VERY hard to get it back.  As Sheryl said,  if you have someone in Thailand that you care about, just leave them the ATM card/pin  or online banking info so they can get the money.  That may not be 100% legal but it should work. Generally I am very positive about the Thai banking system EXCEPT  for this detail. 

Huh, never bothered to check, that the case? I keep my $ outside Thailand with a beneficiary set and a will made, only bring the needed amount to Thailand and use it within a month. Zero trust in Thai banks.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

I think the idea is first you have to be born a woman. Then marry a Thai man. Other than that, prepare for a red tape marathon and world class hoop jumping circus acts.

I think you are right.  I have never seen or heard of it being easy to get Thai citizenship. ????

9 minutes ago, CMNightRider said:

If I had a child here that was half Thai, I would get him or her out of this country as soon as possible so they would have an opportunity to make something out of their life.  

By the time they enter school at latest. You don't want that forced indoctrination to take seed and real international schools are flaky and more expensive than in the west. For the first maybe five years it's ok, more social than many western countries.

• Like 1

On 2/4/2019 at 2:23 PM, CMNightRider said:

Your post is one of the more intelligent posts I have read regarding what immigration is doing to discourage foreigners from continuing to live in Thailand.  I have read so many pompous and smug comments from many of the posters on this site, making demeaning comments about expats who have to leave because they are unable to deposit 800,000 baht into a Thai bank.  These people brag about how they can easily make this deposit and many have said they have be doing this for years, lol.

There are far more expats that can deposit 800,000 baht in a Thai bank but are intelligent enough to see the folly in doing so.  These people will be leaving each month as their one year extensions come due, along with those who are unable to abide by immigrations latest hurdle.  

The leaders of Thai Immigration has made it clear, they do not want western retirees residing in Thailand.  This ridicules financial requirement of depositing money in a Thai bank is to take advantage of those who can't leave for various reasons, and to purge as many of the westerns as they can.

I wonder how many expats who have married Thai women and have kids here don't meet this latest hurdle for one year extensions.  These people will be forced to leave their families as their extensions come due. ????

I hear there are groups springing up in rural areas. One is called "Don't take our husbands". They are groups of Thai women, who have foreign husbands who are not rich, and they are all just getting by, doing what they can to make a living, or living on a modest pensions or savings. The women are afraid these requirements may make it far harder for their men to be able to stay here. Perhaps these women can make enough noise, to cause blowback, and embarrassment to this tone deaf, incompetent, xenophobic, coarse, corrupt, cold hearted, non-visionary administration? And it could lead to these morons being put out to pasture, once and for all? Nobody needs the army. They are beyond useless to the nation. So is Prayuth, and especially the fraud, Biggest Joke. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Khaeng Mak said:

And I notice that most of these "If you don't like it leave" posters are recent members.  So either they are twisted and malevolent individuals who have been banned and come back under a new name,

or

they are paid writers employed to generate conflict among members to keep the post count and page view numbers up. 

I had noticed the same,  in a way similar to the Thaksin problem years ago,  implants ??  having an agenda.

22 hours ago, Acharn said:

You're planning to vote then?

I sure would if I could. No Thai I have spoken with, plans to vote for Prayuth. Everyone I speak with, who is willing to speak openly, says he is despised by nearly all Thais. I believe this. I certainly know it is true for 98% of all foreigners. 

1 minute ago, spidermike007 said:

I hear there are groups springing up in rural areas. One is called "Don't take our husbands". They are groups of Thai women, who have foreign husbands who are not rich, and they are all just getting by, doing what they can to make a living, or living on a modest pensions or savings. The women are afraid these requirements may make it far harder for their men to be able to stay here. Perhaps these women can make enough noise, to cause blowback, and embarrassment to this tone deaf, incompetent, xenophobic, coarse, corrupt, cold hearted, non-visionary administration? And it could lead to these morons being put out to pasture, once and for all? Nobody needs the army. They are beyond useless to the nation. So is Prayuth, and especially the fraud, Biggest Joke. 

No..there is an even bigger fraud...

21 hours ago, terryofcrete said:

There is a scene in "Only God Forgives" ... a must see for anyone remotely interested in Thai/Farang affairs in LOS... the Police Boss gives a dressing down to a Farang and tells him exactly what they think of them in Thailand. I never forgot it , nor will anyone forget the movie having seen it. I always know where I stand when all is said and done. You will always be a Farang .. an outsider. 

Not a particularly great film, but a very, very dark look at the underbelly of Thailand. Worth a look. The top cop, portrayed by the excellent Vithaya Pansringarm, does an amazing portrayal. Damn. Talk about a pathological super freak. My guess is that a fairly limited number of the authorities feel this way. Of course we will always be outsiders. That means little to me, as I do not feel the need to "belong". But, I think the extreme xenophobia we are feeling at this time is coming from a relatively small number of very, very ignorant fools. 

20 hours ago, scorecard said:

It does appear that this administration, and especially the biggest joke, are trying to do everything in their power to discourage ex-pats from staying here. Does it not? 

Is it really that simple? Is it not surprising that Thailand is trying hard to get all of this into a much better picture and with the primary intention of what's best for Thailand?

That statement has to rank up there with some of the dumbest conclusions I have ever seen. This has nothing to do with what is best for the nation. Nor the common man. When has the army and Prayuth ever considered that? Never. Ever. 

58 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

The law changed some years back.  The criteria is the same regardless of gender although it's not easy as suggested:

You can apply for Thai citizenship if you are working in Thailand or are married with a Thai spouse and/or have a child born in Thailand.

In all cases you will also have to fulfil the following conditions to apply for Thai citizenship:

• You must have lived in Thailand continuously, for at least five years before applying.
  • Be a permanent resident.
  • Be 18 years old or older and have reached legal majority in your country of origin.
  • Be well behaved and have a good background (criminal record; political background; involvement with illegal drugs and, in the case of Vietnamese applicants, personal behaviour will be checked).
  • Know the Thai language, including speaking, listening and understanding.
  • Be able to sing the National Anthem Sanserm Phra Baramee and pass an interview in Thai conducted by government officers.

32 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I hear there are groups springing up in rural areas. One is called "Don't take our husbands". They are groups of Thai women, who have foreign husbands who are not rich, and they are all just getting by, doing what they can to make a living, or living on a modest pensions or savings. The women are afraid these requirements may make it far harder for their men to be able to stay here. 

Is this not then a human rights issue?

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Farrows3399 said:

Since the US, UK, and AUS. were the main ones targeted re: cancelled income letters and not so coincidentally they are the nationalities that have been very critical and condescending of Thais year in year out on the internet forums. Could have something to do with motivation ?

But why also the Danes