US man critically injured in Bangkok crash

webfact

Milwaukee man critically injured in Bangkok crash

Jamie Mills struck by speeding van in Thai city, friends say

screenshot_8602.jpg

video screenshot

BANGKOK — A Milwaukee man vacationing in Thailand was reportedly hospitalized and required emergency surgery after being struck Thursday by a speeding van.

Jamie Mills and a friend were exiting a car when they were struck by the passing vehicle, friends told WISN 12 NEWS. The impact broke Mills' pelvis in several places, broke both of his legs and ruptured his bladder.

His recovery will require an extended stay in Thailand, "for weeks -- possibly months -- before he can even think about walking again or traveling home," Mills' friend, Cola Yenter, wrote in an email.

Full story: https://www.wisn.com/article/milwaukee-jamie-mills-bangkok/26124772

-- WISN 2019-02-04

• Sad 1

29 minutes ago, madmen said:

First you do when exiting a car is look behind you.
Already started a go fund me.

Yet another without insurance!

As a driver you can use the mirrors to check. As a passenger I always slide over and get out kerb side especially BKK ( and HCMC )

Possible that being from the USA he forgot it was the wrong side to get out. RHD/LHD.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

The GoFundMe campaign has a conflicting story, which says he stepped off the curb towards a Grab car when he was hit.   He has no travel insurance, so the GoFundMe is asking for $55K to cover medical expenses, plus local expenses for his companion and covering his rent back home.  Ugh.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Thaidream said:

Healthcare is a  Human Right and should be paid for by Governments= if one is travelling- in this case= Thailand pays and sends the bill to the US Government for reimbursement. Insurance is simply another scheme by the wealthy to get wealthier. 

It has to be the man there hit him that have to pay for everything and if police can't find this scumbag it have to be Thailand job to pay 

if I hit someone in my country it is my insurance there have to pay 

Thailand is just a bad country 

Wouldn't it be good if you could buy a Go Fund Me insurance policy for $10 a week that anybody could purchase, and only claim when necessary.. It would beat travel insurance and some entrepreneurs could make a good profitable business out of it as well.. 

I got recently hit by a car just outside the front gate. Old wealthy dolly forgot to look into the mirror when she suddenly reversed. She tried to blame me but there is our gate cctv and several witnesses. So far she paid for hospital. But I still have to suffer pain and disruption of my daily fitness routine due to 2 pelvic fractures. Another 3 weeks on crutches.

Back home I could claim for pain suffered. Here?

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Hupaponics said:

I guess he's better taken care of here than in his trailerpark back home... 

Not a cent i sent to the beggars only page. 

Someday you may need to rely on the grace of others because of unforeseen circumstances. You know so little about this man or what happened.

• Like 1

Seems that Go-Fund-Me and the like have made it easier for people to skimp on health insurance and believe that if the worst happens then I will beg charity from others.

if you cannot afford insurance then you should not travel, simple.

On 2/4/2019 at 4:23 PM, Hupaponics said:

I guess he's better taken care of here than in his trailerpark back home... 

Not a cent i sent to the beggars only page. 

He lives in a trailer park right? Is that confirmed or you just have some kinda of problem with how the guy looks in a hospital bed???

Say....a trailer park right next door to where you got your train of thoughts?