For those who use visa agents ... A heads up.

2 hours ago, Spidey said:

A year ago, I renewed my passport, whilst in the UK. When I returned, I went to Jontien IO to have my stamps transferred. I was told by the IO that I needed a form, signed by the Vice Consul, at the British Embassy, Bangkok, to confirm that my passport was valid. He gave me a copy of the form required. It was immediately obvious that the form didn't apply to me as I had the old passport with me and the form mainly applied to lost/stolen passports. Not for people who had both passports with them.

Logical or not, that form is a requirement. If you renew your UK passport while in Thailand, you are furnished with the form along with your new passport.

• Like 1

A inflammatory post commenting on moderation has been removed. A repeat will result in formal warning.

Forum rule.

10) Do not comment on moderation publicly in the open forum; this includes individual actions, and specific or general policies and issues. This also includes posting an emoticon in response to a public notice made by a moderator. 

• Like 1

When I first moved to Thailand, back in 1999, the requirement was for 200,000 baht only, to get your visa extension. Then they upped it by 600,000 baht in one go. Maybe they thought it would make it harder for guys to borrow 800,000 from a mate, but I reckon that the number of guys borrowing 200,000 baht, would of been minimalistic compared to now having to use agents because not everybody has 20,000 GBP., or other currency equivalent just sloshing about in his Thai bank account. How they come up with the figure of 65,000 THB pension going into the bank in pension I don't know. In my opinion the majority of people that have the equivalent of GBP 1,600+ a month in pension, would not be looking to stay in Thailand. That figure would mean if you are a Brit, you'd need around GBP 372  a week in pensions. I know a lot of Brits, young ones that don't even earn that. I like to know how they came up with the figure of 65,000 THB a month? did they base it on USA., German, or some other countries that pay decent state pensions, or did they reckon that all well off pensioners that wanted to retire overseas, would want to go to live in LOS. I think they got that one wrong if that is what they thought. 

• Like 1

I  can understand that in the short term Agents may get past the initial stage of providing "evidence" of the 800.000 but in the longer term how to provide evidence of a permanent deposit of  400,000. The practical way for that evidence to be presented  would be a Bankbook or copies of showing that at the consecutive application time...in the name of the applicant!  Really no extra work for IOs at all. But how is an Agent going to achieve that? The size of an envelope can/obviously does cause momentary discretion/ temporary blindness but I doubt permanent .

• Like 1

"If Big Joke really wanted to get rid of agents and their under the table practices, then why not simply put a sign on each office that states........."NO AGENTS". Unless they are representing an individual who for medical reasons cannot make the visit to the offices"

I think that is a tad simplistic.  A while back I had a visa related question and as an agent had an office yards from my condo and which I passed umpteen times a day ..on a whim I went in. 

His welcoming smile dropped when I requested to ask a question for free ????. Shock horror.  His answer was he did not know but I suspect he was not even listening and still in shock at the word 'free'.

But he went on to say that an Immigration Officer came by his office every lunch time .. he will be there soon he said ... to see if there was anyone needing their assistance.

He also said I dont understand your problem but he would sort a visa for 30k .. of which he got only 500. Im doing it as a favour for you. Yeah yeah. But that is beside the point. 

My point is a notice banning agents or actually banning them from Immigration Office wont do much in my opinion.  It will save agents going to them and put some kilometres on IOs vehicles thats all. 

But it would stop us having to see agents placing a dozen passports on the IOs desk.  They dont seem to feel the need for discretion. 

Edited by PAWNEESE

1 hour ago, ivorsmile said:

When I first moved to Thailand, back in 1999, the requirement was for 200,000 baht only, to get your visa extension. Then they upped it by 600,000 baht in one go. Maybe they thought it would make it harder for guys to borrow 800,000 from a mate, but I reckon that the number of guys borrowing 200,000 baht, would of been minimalistic compared to now having to use agents because not everybody has 20,000 GBP., or other currency equivalent just sloshing about in his Thai bank account. How they come up with the figure of 65,000 THB pension going into the bank in pension I don't know. In my opinion the majority of people that have the equivalent of GBP 1,600+ a month in pension, would not be looking to stay in Thailand. That figure would mean if you are a Brit, you'd need around GBP 372  a week in pensions. I know a lot of Brits, young ones that don't even earn that. I like to know how they came up with the figure of 65,000 THB a month? did they base it on USA., German, or some other countries that pay decent state pensions, or did they reckon that all well off pensioners that wanted to retire overseas, would want to go to live in LOS. I think they got that one wrong if that is what they thought. 

If you can, check the USD/THB exchange rates when those rises occurred. I think that you'll find that each of those rises equivalated to taking back the monthly requirement to approximately $2k in THB.

If you calculate the current requirement, 65k baht in USD you'll find that it equivalates to $2080. No need to worry until it drops significantly below $2000.

8 hours ago, bbi1 said:

"Some worrying news came this morning.  This is just a heads up so don't take it as gospel." - What's the "worrying news" you are talking about??? There's nothing worrying in the post at all. Those two dodgy scamming agents can't do their illegal stuff anymore and your buddy will get kicked out of the country for illegally doing dodgy things to stay here. Thailand doesn't need these type of law breaking foreigners who don't have the funds to stay here.

Thank you for your holier-than-thou genius insight, Mr Sanctimonious.  I knew there's be at least one post something like that.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mister Fixit said:

Thank you for your holier-than-thou genius insight, Mr Sanctimonious.  I knew there's be at least one post something like that.

Don't do illegal dodgy stuff (or your buddy in this case) then you won't get posts like that ???? Do it the correct legit legal way ????

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Thingamabob said:

I've never once used an agent for over 30 years. I've never felt the need, and I've never had any problems with renewals. Why does this debate go on and on and on...? Just put 800k in the bank and get on with your life.

good advise if you have 800K to put in the bank

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Spidey said:

My what? I certainly wouldn't post anything deprecating someone who has less than me. I was agreeing with you. Knob.

It was meant to be a joke.  Knob. 

But I should probably have put a smiley to have made it clear, I suppose.  

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, notamember said:

Quite.  Those people who like to show off that they have more than others do get on my pip.

There are many of us here who don't fulfil the financial requirements but need to resort to agents - I'd say well into the many thousands and perhaps more than those who have the 800k.

People have their own reasons for not having the money.  Not everyone is some sort of shady ne'er-do-well as some posters like to imply. They only post this sort of cr@p to boost their own ego.  This forum is full of people like that.  

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Or what? You and your sanctimonious fellow TV posters will grass him up? That'll be about right.

Whoopee - we agree!  ???? ????  (see - a smiley!) 

Grassing someone up would be about par for the course for someone with the sort of mindset that comment displayed.  I bet he's never drank after hours, paid a bar girl, never ridden his motocy the wrong way up the road or without a helmet either.  

It must be so difficult to be perfect and have to live in this world full of lesser beings.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, phkauf said:

I have absolutely ZERO sympathy for those using these agents to skirt the rules and laws. If you don't qualify, tough find another place to live.

Because of your games, the honest rule abiding people have to suffer. Thanks a lot for ruining it for the rest of us and enjoy your time in some sh!thole country that will accept you.

what about the people who lied on the statutory declarations and ruined the income letter process for their countrymen

the USA, the UK and the Australians

did they play a part in this ?

which one is worse?

the ones who blew the letter route for everyone by lying to their respective embassies and did not have any money to show

or

those who pay an agent and uses an agents 800K to try to appear to be legal

oop to you

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, notamember said:

Better advice would be to bring it to Thailand in 65k baht monthly instalments. No need to keep 400k baht in the bank year round or 800k 2 months before application and 3 months after either. You can spend it all as it arrives .

Seems like a no brainer to me. Can't understand why anyone would go for the 800k option.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, notamember said:

what about the people who lied on the statutory declarations and ruined the income letter process for their countrymen

the USA, the UK and the Australians

did they play a part in this ?

which one is worse?

the ones who blew the letter route for everyone by lying to their respective embassies and did not have any money to show

or

those who pay an agent and uses an agents 800K to try to appear to be legal

oop to you

I'm not aware of any Brit who lied to the embassy. Not easy. All the Brits that I know, who couldn't prove the 65k baht monthly income or have 800k baht in a Thai bank, used the agency route.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Spidey said:

I'm a shady ne'er do well, which is why I have the money!

???? ???? ????

Well at least you're honest about it!  But be careful, you might get Mr Sanctimonious dobbing you in with Immi or the police  ...

Edited by Mister Fixit

11 minutes ago, Mister Fixit said:

???? ???? ????

Well at least you're honest about it!  But be careful, you might get Mr Sanctimonious dobbing you in with Immi or the police  ...

Which is another thing that makes me laugth about sanctimonious posters, "Oo, don't admit to anything on TV, you don't know who reads your posts". Like Thai Immigration would know who "spidey" really is. Not even Admin know my real name or address.

And don't say, "they can trace you through your IP address". I always use a VPN to log in here or anywhere else on the net, for good reason.

Edited by Spidey
  • Like 2

Just now, Liverpudlian said:

Me thinks its some sort of whacky backy smoke signal.

I thought it was some new acronym that I should know about so as not to look as ancient as I am.

But I think it's supposed to be 'up' to you, and written in Northern  English.  Perhaps the poster is from Yorkshire or <whisper it> Lancashire.