For those who use visa agents ... A heads up.

5 minutes ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

You can do 45 days early under special circumstances.

If you can prove that you will not be in Thailand from 30 days up to the extension date by showing a ticket out of Thailand.

I did not have to prove anything since I was not questioned about it. 

45 day exactly, not even one day less. 

4 minutes ago, The Theory said:

I did not have to prove anything since I was not questioned about it. 

45 day exactly, not even one day less. 

Maybe you did.

The official line is 30 days before expiry.

Immigration recognize that in some cases, the retiree will not be able to extend as they will be out of the country. That's why they will also do it up to a maximum of 45 days early, if you can prove that you won't be available at the preferred time. Thus the air ticket.

Of course, each office interprets this their own way and each IO does the same, but, the original intention makes sense.

Edited by Joe Mcseismic

16 hours ago, JackThompson said:

I cannot believe this was ever the intention.  All they had to do was bust their IOs skipping seasoning-checks for the agents.

Makes sense, really.  The current system works because agent-apps don't need seasoning.  New apps will work because agent-apps won't need seasoning.   Whether IO's "waiving" seasoning, or fake bank-books, or whatever - this changes nothing in the equation.

But, alternative money-lenders won't be able to get close to agent-rates any more, as they could have before in the more expensive agent-jursidictions (Phuket at 30K Baht) etc.  There will be no more 3-mo loans or money-pooling between friends, as an alternative to agent fees.

We don't know how or if this will occur - or just check at the time of the next application.

He, and his boss, and his boss's boss, unless he wants to be on TV with the big-boss facing jail-time, for running independent-action on the side.

Agents are buddies with the heads of the offices where they work.  This is why they can waltz in with a stack of passports, go right by everyone else, etc.  Anything would be taken care of in a private meeting, or passed along to trusted-staff who know the score.

100% right on.

It is way less hassle and too much money for agents to ever be banned.  If there is ever a hint of it they will all figure out a way.

• Like 1

Just now, balo said:

Whats so funny , sure plenty of agents in Pattaya but Key Visa opposite Big C are one of the better ones , and no scams as one poster trying to suggest . 

His name is Darren.  If you want to recommend someone else up to you. 

I've met Darren. Very nice, helpful guy. I would recommend him to anyone, and have done via PMs recently.

A year ago, I renewed my passport, whilst in the UK. When I returned, I went to Jontien IO to have my stamps transferred. I was told by the IO that I needed a form, signed by the Vice Consul, at the British Embassy, Bangkok, to confirm that my passport was valid. He gave me a copy of the form required. It was immediately obvious that the form didn't apply to me as I had the old passport with me and the form mainly applied to lost/stolen passports. Not for people who had both passports with them.

I argued the toss with the IO and told him that it was ridiculous to expect me to write to the BE and pay them to send me the letter as it was completely unnecessary.

The IO leant into me and said, "Go to Key Visa.". I did so, walked into the office and explained to the girl my problem. Without saying a word, she opened her desk drawer, produced a photocopy of the form, complete with a photocopy of the Vice Consul's signature. She then asked me for 150 baht.

On returning to Jontien, I handed the form to the IO and asked him to help me fill it in as I didn't really understand it (no surprise really as it didn't apply to me). He took the form and said, "no need to fill it in". I hadn't even put my name on it.

The next day I collected my passport, complete with stamps.

The whole episode was a complete scam, worked between Key Visa and the IO. Key Visa work very closely with Jontien IO and would highly recommend them for a dodgy visa.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, JLCrab said:

I can just see it now on those Thai TV shows where they interview the cute 6 year-olds:

Host: What do you want to be when you grow up?

Kid: I want to be an agent because I'm already smarter than everybody else.

For visa agents, it's about who you know, not what you know and a nice fat brown envelope of course. Pretty standard for securing any well payed government related job in Thailand.

7 minutes ago, Spidey said:

For visa agents, it's about who you know, not what you know

Thanks for the enlightening -- then why do they say that given the new regs from the flatfoots at IMM, it will just be a matter of time before those clever agents figure out a way around it.

Edited by JLCrab

Thanks for the enlightening -- then why do they say that given the new regs from the flatfoots at IMM, it will just be a matter of time before those clever agents figure out a qwsay around it.

They use team think. The agents and IOs work closely together to find ways round it. They don't have problems, just solutions. I like their style!

OK so the link was removed , I am not trying to advertise anything. 

Anyone who wants to attend the forum and ask questions to Darren should meet up at Mercure hotel, Pattaya on Friday . 

Edited by balo

2 minutes ago, Spidey said:

They use team think. The agents and IOs work closely together to find ways round it. They don't have problems, just solutions. I like their style!

Wow -- so that's how it works thanks.  Gee you learn sumthin every day. 

Why not just legalise using the agent system. Call it "Fast Track" or whatever you want and legitimately charge THB20k or whatever the rate is, and allow those who either want to avoid the seasoning or the waiting, to get their extensions that way. At least it allows the normal procedures to run unimpaired by queue jumping etc.

Of course individuals wouldn't personally benefit, (unless they're paid higher salaries), but overall the Thai state would gain in tax revenue, but oh, wait...

• Like 1

Just now, samtam said:

Why not just legalise using the agent system. Call it "Fast Track" or whatever you want and legitimately charge THB20k or whatever the rate is, and allow those who either want to avoid the seasoning or the waiting, to get their extensions that way. At least it allows the normal procedures to run unimpaired by queue jumping etc.

Of course individuals wouldn't personally benefit, (unless they're paid higher salaries), but overall the Thai state would gain in tax revenue, but oh, wait...

That would be too logical. 

29 minutes ago, Spidey said:

The IO leant into me and said, "Go to Key Visa." //

[Key Visa lady] produced a photocopy of the form, complete with a photocopy of the Vice Consul's signature.

She then asked me for 150 baht. //

[The IO] took the form and said, "no need to fill it in".

So clearly they jointly organised a scam to make you pay 150 B for nothing,

and you call it a good visa agency !?? :blink:

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, balo said:

Anyone who wants to attend the forum and ask questions to Darren should meet up at Mercure hotel, Pattaya on Friday.

That club also has options for the "I cannot get health insurance" problem.  I wish they would live-stream it, as I now live too far away to attend.  If you go, please let us know what you find out. 

I have managed to avoid agents so far, but if the Non-O-ME Visa option is ever blocked, and my local office sticks to their belief that married-extension incomes "must be a state pension,"  then I will be forced to decide between using an agent, or taking a Thai's job.  I want to keep track of all the options available. 

1 hour ago, Tchooptip said:

Agree absolutely. I will add agree 100% ????

BUT... 1+1=2 was an answer to: 

If no expats was trying to fraud the system,

there would be no work for agents and they would just disappear.

So no offence Sir but allow me to stubbornly repeat 1+1=2 :smile:

If there was no work for agents today, they would keep moving the goalposts until they created it.  That seems to be what has happened in the past, and continues now.  I can think of no other logical reason to require the required sums - other than to significantly reduce our numbers, though that reduces our foreign-sourced spending, so doesn't make any sense.

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 2

Thanks -- I have never seen an agent. 15 years now. Guess I just haven't lived. 

I have, once as described in my post 128 and once for obtaining my initial visa in Thailand. I wouldn't say that you haven't lived, you just haven't had as full a life as some of us. Don't worry, if you're only in your early 20s, there's time yet.

30 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

So clearly they jointly organised a scam to make you pay 150 B for nothing,

and you call it a good visa agency !?? :blink:

I call it an agency who has a close relationship with the IO and can get "things" done for you. Don't constantly bemoan the corruption in Thailand, make it work for you. I have on a number of occasions (driving) and am very happy to live in a country that will offer you a relatively inexpensive solution to your problems.

When I handed the 150 baht over to the girl, I asked her how much of the 150 baht was going to immigration. We both laughed. Always look on the bright side of life.

• Like 1

Just now, JLCrab said:

Just think of all I've missed for almost 15 years spending 1900 baht (plus about $US50 for an income affidavit) each when I could have experienced the REAL Thailand by giving an agent and his corrupt IMM partner 15-20K baht each year for an extension. But I guess I missed being in with the in-crowd on that one.

Me too. A couple of mates have been very glad of the service though. Have you got any mates?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, farangx said:

Thanks, you all convinced me.  My next one will be with an agent.

OK, as long as by your "next one" you don't mean sexual encounter. Been there, done that, didn't work out too well. Never mix business with pleasure.