For those who use visa agents ... A heads up.

45 minutes ago, Mister Fixit said:

What on earth does 'oop' mean?

commonly used by Thais, ''up to you'' or ''oop to you'' meaning  you decide

I cannot believe i am having to explain this on Thai Visa

we will be debating best sausages or breakfast next

1 hour ago, Spidey said:

I'm not aware of any Brit who lied to the embassy. Not easy. All the Brits that I know, who couldn't prove the 65k baht monthly income or have 800k baht in a Thai bank, used the agency route.

Barry Kenyon used to joke about so many obvious fakes he had seen over the years, maybe it will get into his memoir 

21 minutes ago, notamember said:

commonly used by Thais, ''up to you'' or ''oop to you'' meaning  you decide

I cannot believe i am having to explain this on Thai Visa

we will be debating best sausages or breakfast next

You obviously didn't read my post upthread (# 182)  where I said I realised that it was written as 'oop' instead of 'up' possibly because the poster is from Yorkshire.  I thought it was some Thaivisa buzzword I hadn't come across at first because of the spelling.  

But after 15 years here, I did know what 'up to you' meant here within about the first week of arriving.  I think it was when I asked how much and she replied 'up to you' so I did a runner!  ????  ????

Edited by Mister Fixit

2 hours ago, Dumbastheycome said:

I  can understand that in the short term Agents may get past the initial stage of providing "evidence" of the 800.000 but in the longer term how to provide evidence of a permanent deposit of  400,000.

The current evidence of 800K requires 3 mo seasoning, but that is not checked (or faked, or waived, or something) for agent-applications.  One would assume the 400K year-round + 800K for 5-months will be worked-around the same way.

2 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

The current evidence of 800K requires 3 mo seasoning, but that is not checked (or faked, or waived, or something) for agent-applications.  One would assume the 400K year-round + 800K for 5-months will be worked-around the same way.

The only way I can think of showing the full 800k for the first 3 months is that whoever is making his first 90 day report will have to bring the same bank book in which was used to make the original app.  

However, as someone pointed out upthread, there's no guarantee that the IO who does the 90 day will be the same one who approved the extension so I can see a rise of people using an agent to take the passport in for the 90 day instead of doing it himself.  They'd be the people to know who it was best to approach.  

The other option is to risk it and not bother doing the 90 day.  

42 minutes ago, Mister Fixit said:

The only way I can think of showing the full 800k for the first 3 months is that whoever is making his first 90 day report will have to bring the same bank book in which was used to make the original app.  

However, as someone pointed out upthread, there's no guarantee that the IO who does the 90 day will be the same one who approved the extension so I can see a rise of people using an agent to take the passport in for the 90 day instead of doing it himself.  They'd be the people to know who it was best to approach.  

We have no idea if 90-day reporting will be connected to bank-balance checks - but agents do offer a 90-day reporting service, which could become part of whatever new package-deal is rolled-out.

9 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

We have no idea if 90-day reporting will be connected to bank-balance checks - but agents do offer a 90-day reporting service, which could become part of whatever new package-deal is rolled-out.

It hasn't as yet been explained, but I suspect the 'verification of funds' will form part of the following year's application process to extend further. Where applicants are required to show a complete year's worth of necessary funding of B65k p.m., or the relevant B800k seasoning and minimum B400k.

Apparently, leniency will be applied as a one-off for the first renewal under the new changes.

This is an extract from an Immigration Bureau Memorandum, dated 4 Jan 2019:

" .. since this is a new rule, some of the aliens are not able to prepare to provide such evidences, therefore, to mitigate the adverse impact among them, from 1 January - 31 December 2019, immigration officers shall proceed as follows:

1. Regarding the retirement case where the income (pension) is transferred after retirement year, the bank deposit and bank statement from Thai bank showing monthly transfer to the applicant's account may not cover 12 month-period, the officer shall consider the case based on relevant laws and regulations mutatis mutandis.

2. Inform aliens as prescribed in 1. that: the next visa extension application must be supported with complete sets of documents as aforementioned. Then record the evidence that the officer has informed the applicant."

Compulsory medical insurance will be next, so it isn't over yet.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Mister Fixit said:

Problem my 90 day report is only 6 weeks after my extension was granted because they did not update my 90 day when I did my extension but that could be sorted if the did both at the same time 

Just now, offset said:

Problem my 90 day report is only 6 weeks after my extension was granted because they did not update my 90 day when I did my extension but that could be sorted if the did both at the same time 

Whilst I live here I come and go before 90 Days so I never do a 90 Day Report, how are they going to check up on me ?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, offset said:

The 90 day report is not related to the date of the extension.

39 minutes ago, roger buttmore said:

It hasn't as yet been explained, but I suspect the 'verification of funds' will form part of the following year's application process to extend further. Where applicants are required to show a complete year's worth of necessary funding of B65k p.m., or the relevant B800k seasoning and minimum B400k.

Apparently, leniency will be applied as a one-off for the first renewal under the new changes.

" .. since this is a new rule, some of the aliens are not able to prepare to provide such evidences, ..

That's the new "income based extensions" rule-set.  Issued just before the new "in the bank money" rule-changes.  The agents typically use "in the bank" money (with no seasoning needed for their applications) - though that could change.  In/out money every month via-agent is a potential service they might offer.

35 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

Whilst I live here I come and go before 90 Days so I never do a 90 Day Report, how are they going to check up on me ?

We don't know if the two will be connected, or some other method of "in the bank money" verification will be used - either periodically, or upon applying in the subsequent year.

Edited by JackThompson

" .. since this is a new rule, some of the aliens are not able to prepare to provide such evidences, therefore, to mitigate the adverse impact among them, from 1 January - 31 December 2019, immigration officers shall proceed as follows:

1. Regarding the retirement case where the income (pension) is transferred after retirement year, the bank deposit and bank statement from Thai bank showing monthly transfer to the applicant's account may not cover 12 month-period, the officer shall consider the case based on relevant laws and regulations mutatis mutandis.

2. Inform aliens as prescribed in 1. that: the next visa extension application must be supported with complete sets of documents as aforementioned. Then record the evidence that the officer has informed the applicant."

Compulsory medical insurance will be next, so it isn't over yet.
That memo had nothing to do with the bank method. It was about the income method without embassy letter.

You have no idea how the new seasoning on steroids will be enforced.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Haha 1

On 2/4/2019 at 9:32 AM, darksidedog said:

The whole thing is quite entertaining, and while I understand that the idea was to stop agents putting through dodgy applications, and making money into the bargain, it does not seem to have achieved that. Talking to two agents I know today, they have already found a way around it, but guess what? They will now be charging more money than before, so the system seems set to continue as before, with the agents Big Joke was trying to put out of business, simply making more money, while causing major inconvenience to all the rest of us. Way to go there BJ, another epic fail!

And in answer to the OP, in Pattaya, you can apply 60 days prior to the last extensions expiry, so your mate can do his in time.

What big joke as you call him needs to do then is simply raid these agents offices and ensure every application that hasnt been done by the book is identified and the passport holder banned for life from Thailand with in addition 5 year sentences for the agents

That will have the desired effect within 24 hours.

Edited by Chivas

8 minutes ago, Chivas said:

What big joke as you call him needs to do then is simply raid these agents offices and ensuring every application that hasnt been done by the book is identified and the passport holder banned then for life from Thailand with in addition 5 year sentences for the agents

That will have the desired effect within 24 hours.

Of course! But it's getting more clear now, the conspiracy theory promoters were on to something. The announced reason for these new onerous rules doesn't really seem to be about getting the cheaters which would include the entire food chain of mass corruption. The effect instead is punishing the compliers. It's basically upside down. I'm not promoting banning people that have used agents, I have sympathy for them actually. But look what's happened as a result of this mass corruption. Not an improvement for sure. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, seasia said:

I feel sorry for some that have invested here( in terms of buying a property, paid for education for those they love etc.) and in emotion ) and wish to live a simple modest life.

Those with Thai family who are worried they might have to leave or cannot meet requirements to stay.

A shame.

Plenty of selfish posters who care not of others.

So what is a "caring" person supposed to do? Offer these persons low-interest loans to pay (per this topic) their agent fees?

11 hours ago, Mister Fixit said:

There are many of us here who don't fulfil the financial requirements but need to resort to agents - I'd say well into the many thousands and perhaps more than those who have the 800k.

I always worried that forking out 20-25,000 baht each year, when already capital poor, was a bit like borrowing on your credit card and ultimately running out of options. But hey, if you get 32 years out of it and avoid the irritation of those visits to immigration, maybe it makes good sense.

17 hours ago, Spidey said:

I've met Darren. Very nice, helpful guy. I would recommend him to anyone, and have done via PMs recently.

A year ago, I renewed my passport, whilst in the UK. When I returned, I went to Jontien IO to have my stamps transferred. I was told by the IO that I needed a form, signed by the Vice Consul, at the British Embassy, Bangkok, to confirm that my passport was valid. He gave me a copy of the form required. It was immediately obvious that the form didn't apply to me as I had the old passport with me and the form mainly applied to lost/stolen passports. Not for people who had both passports with them.

I argued the toss with the IO and told him that it was ridiculous to expect me to write to the BE and pay them to send me the letter as it was completely unnecessary.

The IO leant into me and said, "Go to Key Visa.". I did so, walked into the office and explained to the girl my problem. Without saying a word, she opened her desk drawer, produced a photocopy of the form, complete with a photocopy of the Vice Consul's signature. She then asked me for 150 baht.

On returning to Jontien, I handed the form to the IO and asked him to help me fill it in as I didn't really understand it (no surprise really as it didn't apply to me). He took the form and said, "no need to fill it in". I hadn't even put my name on it.

The next day I collected my passport, complete with stamps.

The whole episode was a complete scam, worked between Key Visa and the IO. Key Visa work very closely with Jontien IO and would highly recommend them for a dodgy visa.

When I renewed my passport in Thailand my embassy automatically gave me the form which is a request to Immigration to transfer the stamps from old passport.  It was your mistake for not knowing the form was necessary.  It's been posted on TV a number of time the IO was correct and you were in error.  The form did apply to you.  It applies to anyone who gets a new passport with stamps in the old one.  

form.jpg

Edited by marcusarelus
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, JackThompson said:

And how would this be integrated into online reporting? 

Likely it would become redundant.

Yes if agents do it, or you do it personally, then it might work. Take in your recently updated book, along with copies. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

When I renewed my passport in Thailand my embassy automatically gave me the form which is a request to Immigration to transfer the stamps from old passport.  It was your mistake for not knowing the form was necessary.  It's been posted on TV a number of time the IO was correct and you were in error.  The form did apply to you.  It applies to anyone who gets a new passport with stamps in the old one.  

form.jpg

Thanks for confirming my assertions. Look at the section ending in lost/stolen/damaged/ cancelled.

No option for renewed out of date passport or, as in my case, simply ran out of pages. It only applies to those who no longer have their original passport.

2 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Look at the section ending in lost/stolen/damaged/ cancelled.

Passports are cancelled when a new passport is issued so it really does not support your previous statement.

It does not matter what happened with your old passport immigration will want the letter from the embassy.

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

Passports are cancelled when a new passport is issued so it really does not support your previous statement.

It does not matter what happened with your old passport immigration will want the letter from the embassy.

And it's OK to get a photocopy of the vice consul's signature from a local visa agent?

3 minutes ago, Spidey said:

And it's OK to get a photocopy of the vice consul's signature from a local visa agent?

That is what is handed out a at Trendy when a new passport is issued and I was not responding to that comment you made earlier.

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

That is what is handed out a at Trendy when a new passport is issued and I was not responding to that comment you made earlier.

I renewed my passport in the UK. Was completely unaware of any requirement for the form.