Clock Ticking On Junta Party’s PM Offer To Prayuth

webfact

4 minutes ago, donnacha said:

They only put forward one candidate, not the allowed three.

Ah good point, but they still have their main party as this one was just a proxy basically.

I can imagine a lot of people voting against the military for whatever alternative there is - protest votes happened in many countries in the last years.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Corruption 101 said:

On a brighter note. How can all this not possibly undermine the strength of the baht?

Ha ha! NOTHING - atomic warfare, revolution, riots, floods, prominent deaths - you  name it - NOTHING will shake or weaken the Thai baht.

It's long been a mystery to me!

Edited by Eligius
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, DrTuner said:

Interesting events. I doubt she'll back off given the history, but does the EC have the gonads - if they don't, it's going to be mayhem again and very likely no elections at all.

Hey, THAT is a scenario that I had not even considered (surprisingly, for me!). Maybe this will be used as a way of stopping the election - you know, 'The time is not tranquil and united enough as yet to hold an election', and all that .... Hm,,,,,,, who knows?!

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Denim said:

So , here we all are , four years on from a carefully orchestrated coup.

Was it a big success ? Has happiness been returned to the people and have all the divides in society created by the urban elite been healed.

Have there been any real reforms as demanded by the  people who destroyed democracy ?

Is there less corruption and nepotism than before and has there been more government transparency ?

Have expensive populist policies had there day ?

Do the Thai people of whatever level enjoy the same political freedoms as before the coup.

Is it yet safe to eat a sandwich and read 1984 in public ?

Obviously, the people have been lied to and deceived.

All that remains is to have a long delayed but carefully choreographed game of musical chairs so as to rubber stamp and

' legitimize ' the four years of failures and continue them into the future.

Well, at least in the children's version , all the children have to do the running. In the version we see here one person has conspicuously not even bothered to get out of his seat.

What a brilliant post (above). I think you state the case perfectly. Extremely eloquent and well-pointed, Denim. I cannot argue with what you write.

And yes: I think it is still 'eating with political intent' if one reads 1984 in public while eating at the same time!

Edited by Eligius
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Eligius said:

Ha ha! NOTHING - atomic warfare, revolution, riots, floods, prominent deaths - you  name it - NOTHING will shake or weaken the Thai baht.

It's long been a mystery to me!

Ignore above quote as I can’t temove from my comment.

What about all those people that did not put their names forward for candidacy because of this? Now they are all out of the race.

Strange though that Prawaut kept his in.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, bowerboy said:

What about all those people that did not put their names forward for candidacy because of this? Now they are all out of the race.

I feel sorry for Jaturon Chaisaeng but then he should have left Thaksin years ago 

7 minutes ago, bowerboy said:

Yes. I was saying to colleagues yesterday that I am very surprised - and suspicious - that Prayut has still stepped forward as a candidate, DESPITE the 'unexpected' announcement. I felt that there was no way he would contest a person of a certain background and a certain bloodline.

So: perhaps he knew in advance what would later happen (i.e. blockage) - and that he was SAFE AND SECURE!

Edited by Eligius
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Eligius said:

Yes. I was saying to colleagues yesterday that I am very surprised - and suspicious - that Prayut has still stepped forward as a candidate, DESPITE the 'unexpected' announcement. I felt that there was no way he would contest a person of a certain background and a certain bloodline.

So: perhaps he knew in advance what would later happen (i.e. blockage) - and that he was SAFE AND SECURE!

There was a lot of things happening between 10am and 23pm????

I do wonder if the recent developments will have damaged the party who's support comes from "up North" as now who is their PM candidate? Makes you wonder if it was all planned and Prayuth now feels even more secure then before. What a way to run a country, what a way to run an election! We will see what we will see and who knows maybe the Boy Scouts will sport a coup in the future.

I do wonder what the other members of Asean think about what is going on here.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bowerboy said:

My bold claim: Countercoup is coming...this was the catalyst.

I don't think so (although anything is possible here): if the Powers That Be had wanted to oust the Prayut faction and their predominance, that certain Lady's election would have been the PERFECT way to achieve that end.

I think the only coup that is coming (in the short-term) is the CONTINUED coup by Prayut from 2014!

Edited by Eligius
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

4 minutes ago, bowerboy said:

This whole fiasco is either one of 2 things:

1. A brilliantly thought out master plan with the coup degrace still to come.

2. A total c$&k up with no planning or thought.

Right now who the heck knows.

I think that many of us, knowing the Thais and Thailand, will tend to think that the very, very great likelihood is in favour of your Option Number 2 (maybe initially well planned - but then things went awry, due to lack of foresight).

But -  I am not 100% certain that your Option Number 1 is wrong! It is probably a combination of your two options.

Edited by Eligius
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Still think the last 24 hours event was cocordinated for the message and not the messenger. The message will affect the election.   

What is the message though? Kind of hard to work it out. After today’s announcement the message is completely unclear.

The only message I can see is the Junta has complete and total support and will be running this country for decades to come.

• Like 2