Australians who helped rescue Thai cave boys appeal for Bahraini football refugee

rooster59

Australians who helped rescue Thai cave boys appeal for Bahraini football refugee

By Alison Bevege

800x800 (3).jpg

Jailed Bahraini footballer Hakeem Al Araibi leaves Thailand's Criminal Court, in Bangkok, Thailand February 4, 2019. REUTERS/Athit Perawongmetha

SYDNEY (Reuters) - Two Australian divers who helped save 12 Thai boys and their soccer coach from a flooded cave have written to the Thai prime minister to ask for the release of a Bahraini footballer with refugee status in Australia, media reported on Saturday.

The case of Hakeem Al Araibi, 25, has drawn international criticism as a Thai court considers an extradition request from Bahrain for him to serve a 10-year sentence related to the Arab Spring uprising of 2011. He denies the charges.

He was arrested at a Bangkok airport in November when he arrived from Australia with his wife for their honeymoon. He says he faces torture in Bahrain and wants to return to Australia, where he has lived since 2014 and plays for a Melbourne football club.

Divers Richard Harris and Craig Challen were honoured as Australians of the Year in January for their help to rescue a junior football team and its assistant coach trapped in Thailand's Tham Luang cave in July.

They have now joined a growing campaign to press for the release of Araibi, writing a letter to Thai Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha, ABC News reported.

Challen confirmed a letter had been sent but declined to give more information when contacted by Reuters on Saturday.

A spokesman for the Thai prime minister was not immediately available for comment.

Australia's Foreign Minister Marise Payne would not comment on the letter when asked by reporters at a news conference in New Zealand, but said the government was monitoring the legal proceedings and assisting Araibi's defence lawyer.

"In relation to our engagement with the Thai government, we have engaged at the highest levels to ensure that Mr Al Araibi is returned to his home in Melbourne, his friends and family as soon as possible," she said.

Soccer players and organisations around the world have called for Araibi's release including the sport's governing body, FIFA and the international players' union FIFPro, which represents 65,000 professional footballers.

Bahrain's embassy in Bangkok said Araibi was a fugitive who should be returned.

Araibi was convicted of vandalising a police station during 2011 anti-government protests in Bahrain and sentenced in absentia after he fled.

He denies the charges, saying he was playing in a televised soccer match at the time of the police station attack.

New York-based Human Rights Watch has said Araibi was tortured by Bahraini authorities because of his brother's political activities during the 2011 protests.

Bahraini authorities deny allegations of torture.

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-02-09

2 hours ago, sanemax said:

his defense of "I was playing a football game on live TV at the time" wasnt accepted 

this is factually incorrect. The game he was playing in finished at least 30 minutes before the terror attack on the police station took place. Ample time, and a terrible alibi. Have football players ever displayed rowdy behavior post match ?!?

How about his fans all chip in money and build a new police station for the Bahrainis to replace the one he burnt. Then the Australians can have him back(preferably after he served his time back home), and hope and pray he does not start burning stuff there when he loses his temper the next time. 

• Sad 4

14 minutes ago, TopDeadSenter said:

this is factually incorrect. The game he was playing in finished at least 30 minutes before the terror attack on the police station took place. Ample time, and a terrible alibi. Have football players ever displayed rowdy behavior post match ?!?

How about his fans all chip in money and build a new police station for the Bahrainis to replace the one he burnt. Then the Australians can have him back(preferably after he served his time back home), and hope and pray he does not start burning stuff there when he loses his temper the next time. 

Your not LISTENING !!!

He has "refugee status" with Australia, Thailand should have acknowledged that the moment the red notice was taken down, i.e. recognise that it is not above "international law", now it's desperately trying to take cover because it knows it farked up.

Watch this space, they are going to be in for a hell of a ride, trust me on this, bloody idiots !!!

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

For those who think this is world news, in Europe but even in SG where I live, this is not at all in the news and probably nobody even cares. In principle I agree that Thailand should decide in court to be transparent to all parties. In general, imo it shows a lack of diplomacy that the Aussies play it via the media and publicly put Thai government under pressure. In Asia you often achieve the opposite doing so. 

Edited by khunJeroen
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, TopDeadSenter said:

Please provide a link to back up your facts. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, TMNH said:

And Bahrain is to be considered to be a  fair and recognized country? And Australia, keep your f...g nose out of business that doesn't involve you. Funny how the Saudi girl was coming there, yet you did nothing. And yes, OZ is nothing:)

Maybe you are mistaking me for Australia ?

I am not Australia and neither am I an Australian 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, metisdead said:

Please provide a link to back up your facts. 

He has always maintained his innocence and pointed to the fact that he was playing in a soccer game that was broadcast on live TV in Bahrain until about 30 minutes before the alleged crime was committed.

https://www.smh.com.au/world/asia/why-did-they-put-chains-on-me-i-m-not-an-animal-hakeem-al-araibi-speaks-from-prison-20190205-p50vsw.html

5 minutes ago, TopDeadSenter said:

He has always maintained his innocence and pointed to the fact that he was playing in a soccer game that was broadcast on live TV in Bahrain until about 30 minutes before the alleged crime was committed.

https://www.smh.com.au/world/asia/why-did-they-put-chains-on-me-i-m-not-an-animal-hakeem-al-araibi-speaks-from-prison-20190205-p50vsw.html

Thank you.

4 minutes ago, TopDeadSenter said:

You are asserting the guy vandalised a police station (note not a terror attack) without any factual information whatsoever other than highly likely false charges in a Sharia Criminal Court. As posted above Bahrain has a well documented regime of oppression against any opposition to the Bahraini royal family for which he had previously been detained and tortured.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, khunJeroen said:

For those who think this is world news, in Europe but even in SG where I live, this is not at all in the news

Incorrect - UK, USA, Canada, France, FIFA etc Google is your friend

• Like 2

Unfortunately the Australian's don't have a good record in recently failing to rescue 3 women from the clutches of the Thais and Saudi authorities (4 Corners 4 Feb) and they appear to have made a mess of Hakeem's situation. This doesn't mean I think the Thais have acted in the best interests of international justice. There are rumours of backroom relationships compromising natural justice in Hakeem's case. But there is a lack of clarity or sense of purpose involved in Australia's diplomatic performance with Thailand and these Saudi women. The Australian stance has been questionable till proven otherwise by a safe return.

Edited by Spock
error
  • Like 2

I think the Australian stance is pretty clear. The PM has twice written directly to the Thai PM in recent days requesting his return to Australia. The Australian Foreign Minister has raised the issue with the Thai authorities during a recent visit to Thailand. The Australian PM has made public statements on the Australian position.

The latest suggestion is that he be given Australian citizenship as this would change Australia's status in negotiating with the Thai authorities on his behalf. Will be interesting to see if this eventuates...

• Like 2