Unusual/odd sights/places/activities in Bangkok?

whitek

12 hours ago, whitek said:

C Cup Cafe is one of the most loved places in Bangkok, and of course mostly for men.

There used to be a D-Cup Cafe at the Nana BTS station owned and run by an Aussie barista, Bert was his name I think... not a D-cup anywhere in sight though. :cool:

Not sure if it's still there...

• Haha 1

Bangkokian Museum.  Very pretty.  And if Thai-style houses are your thing, Suan Pakkad Palace and Jim Thompson's house (yes tourist attraction, but quite pretty and I absolutely love a couple of the Buddha statues there).

On Bang Krachao there's the Siamese Fighting Fish Gallery, with lots of information about the fish and their lifestyle (when they're not confined to tiny bowls...)

Just go random:

Today I went out looking for Jok by getting off bTS at Saphan Taksin, was too baked and lost myself, passed by the Jok spot, ended up looking at jewelry down Charoen Krung and then having a fabulicious Ham, Tomato and Garlic Fromage (real cheese) Paninni with a killer Americano pumped out by some Porto Expat Chef (with his gf evidently) in a cute cafe near River City, then taking pics of the Church, then hanging out at the Marine Pier, then riding the packed ferry to Phra Artit, then going down to Khao San Road and buying a pipe and a t-shirt, then snagging a Tuk Tuk to Hua Lamphong MRT, then to Silom, watch them weld up the barriers for when they take down the Dusit, cross the street and sit by the pond for a bit, then back to the BTS and home for dinner.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

You can walk about the Chulalongkorn campus. It's green, well cared for and always a number of beauties scurrying about. Have lunch in one of the canteens. Arts canteen has the best looking students but worst food. Next door, after 1530 or weekends you can visit high school Triam Udom Suksa, an open campus. Buildings 1-3 that front the road are historic. You can visit during school hours if you stay on the small public road. After school, you can wander about a bit, have a look at the pond area back side of front building. Lovely old HS, students taken from all parts of Thailand. #1 public school.

In December, another old school Wattana Wittayalai near T21, girls school opens it's doors for a festival day. Bring the family or properly dressed GF. Old money, similar to Mater Dei, not quite as elite / exclusive. By Memorial Bridge in Chinatown is Suankularb Wittayalai, boys school. Front building is historic, museum.

The old and now restored Catholic church on the river and the Catholic schools surrounding. Quite old, historic.You can do the ferry up and down the Chao Praya as mentioned, cheap. Just remember this is commuter transportation. Leave your bags and drama behind.

A mini van ride outside the city to Amphawa for all you Thai foodies. It at least was very untouristy. Bits of junk to buy but it's all about cheap snacks. Stay the night at a homestay. Take a boat ride at night to see fireflies. Return next day early and avoid the crush coming into Bangkok.

Mandarin Oriental hotel, used to be able to take canal rides in the small klongs other side of river. Homes set back on the small waterways.

Seafood afternoon, Samut Sakorn.

The fake Eastern Oriental train when its in from Singapore, Hualalompong.

Freaks glued to barstools Nana hotel.

Any fast food joint on Sukhhumvhit I'd imagine good for a laugh.

Srinakharinwirot University, Union Mall both full of university stunners.

Malls at Phrom Pong, empty but some hotties walking about with more money than sense. T21 and Paragon, some really smoking hot women.

I think that glass monstrosity is open on the river now? What is it? Iconsiam??

I like the idea of riding the BTS MRT and just getting off and walk about. You learn a lot about the city this way. Just so hot now. The walk up Ratchada from Sukhhumvhit to Lat Phrao and on to Pohanyotin isn't much unless looking for a condo or apartment.

I'm personally not interested in anything beyond On Nut. Would rather have syphilis than visit Khao Sarn Rd. My relationship with that area ended decades ago.

Edited by Number 6
  • Like 2

Two things me and the gf might come in to see:

1. The Issan music show, free at Victory Monument. I think they are once a month.

2. The Bangkok Symphony Orchestra. I've never been to a classical music concert. Saw the BSO on telly and they were great. Tickets are dirt cheap.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tripjoy said:

Tawan Daeng

Its great! I was at the one in video 1 Its a Thai experience but they are proud to see falang visitors. Friday is one of the best nights.

Yes, there are two Tawan Daengs.  One in town on/near Rama 3 and the other out on Ram Indra.  I've been to both of them over the years and they are good.  Last couple of times went out to Ram Indra.  Food and beer is great and the entertainment on stage is very good.  Weekends can be very busy.

Regular Khlong boat on Khlong Phrakhanong, starting under the expressway bridge at BTS Phrakhanong. Much nicer than khlong Saen Saep.

Swimming pools with water slides and  nice view on the roof of several branches of The Mall, e.g. Bang Khae, Bangkapi. Half price after about 5pm.

Cycling path from Soi Nana to Lumpini park,  along the khlong.

Can actually be accessed from Soi 12, too

Not possible to çycle, but a nice walk,  and a shortcut between the 2 most important areas of Bangkok ????

( not sure it still exists)

Free BTS through the wastelands to Kheha. 

Edited by uhuh
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/11/2019 at 7:16 AM, Andyfez said:

Rent a 40 Baht bicycle on Koh Kret.

Discover new Riverside restaurants up and down the river. River Tree House, and Dave's Cafe are two of my favourites, but there are so many.

Agreed about Koh Kret, it's well worth a visit but can get very busy at weekends.  Well worth a boat trip round it, or just cycle or walk.  

If going there, try Chit Beer, a quirky little place on the riverside which does its own craft beers and most of them are very good.  They'll let you have a small glass of each one to try before buying too.  It's on Google Maps.

As to River Tree House, if you mean the one that's called Baan Rabiang Nam in Thai, by Wat Khae Nok in soi 23 Sanam Bin Nam Rd in Nonthaburi, it's seriously gone down the nick.  We started going there about 11 years ago when it was excellent, and I had my wedding lunch there 4 years ago.  However, on my last two visits last year, the quality had really deteriorated.

Not just the food quality, but the choice.  They have a pretty extensive menu but when I went with my eldest son and his family last September, every time we tried to order something the waitress kept saying 'mai mee, ka' to us.  We managed to get some fried chicken nibbles, but eventually just left after 10 minutes in disgust and went to Sizzler!  

Edited by Mister Fixit

On 3/18/2019 at 10:42 PM, uhuh said:

Swimming pools with water slides and  nice view on the roof of several branches of The Mall, e.g. Bang Khae, Bangkapi. Half price after about 5pm.

Also The Mall Ngam Wong Wan.  Easily get-attable on the 522 bus from Victory Monument for 15 baht.  It goes up the motorway so only about 20 minutes or so.

The Mall is worth a wander to fill in a few hours with all the usual stuff, chain restaurants etc.  There's a large cinema on the 6th floor too, as well as the swimming pool (where you'll be made wear a silly cap, whether you're male or female).  

Pantip Plaza up the road is also worth a wander and has a lot of computer and mobile phone stuff.  At weekends there is a good flea market on the 8th floor with a very eclectic mix of stuff.  The 7th floor has a good mix of small stalls too with a good range, from electrics, tools, clothing and other odds and sods.   

A few minutes taxi ride (or a 10 baht bus ride)  up the road is Esplanade Ratthanathibet with ice skating and bowling.

If you are a real glutton for punishment, you can then take a bus or taxi another mile along Ratthanathibet Road to Central Ratthanathibet for even more shops.  It's much smaller than The Mall Ngam Wong Wan though.  

Edited by Mister Fixit

On 2/12/2019 at 7:52 AM, Nyezhov said:

I do that with the Chao Phraya Express Boat. Ride to Nothanburi, walk around, eat, go back

Nonthaburi market is a good wander round.  I live not far away and there's some good shopping there.  There are a couple of stalls there which sell decent beef too.  

Also the old wooden town hall by the river is worth a quick look and the Chinese temple behind it.   

7 minutes ago, Mister Fixit said:

Nonthaburi market is a good wander round.  I live not far away and there's some good shopping there.  There are a couple of stalls there which sell decent beef too.  

Also the old wooden town hall by the river is worth a quick look and the Chinese temple behind it.   

Hell yeah. One of the nicest local markets around. A mini Khlong Toei and Wanglang all in one.

I love that temple. Sometimes I would go up there just to burn one by the river, look at that temple, and get me some lunch.

My kid says that the green steamed shu Mai thingys  she gets from a lady near 7-11 at the pier is the best she ever had, and she is a freak for those....

Edited by Nyezhov
  • Like 1

A nice long-ish trip is by MRT to Central Westgate and Ikea at Bang Yai.  It's a huge mall and you can easily get lost in Ikea.

Take the MRT from Sukhumvit/Asok or Mo Chit/Chatuchak to Taopoon then change onto the Purple Line to Bang Yai.  Loads to do in Westgate if you like shopping.

It's a fair way to go from downtown BKK so lots of different sights to see.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

couple things I haven't seen mentioned:

-Jim Thompson house: https://goo.gl/maps/XaqgHJy1Pjff3n6M6

-Jim Thompson outlet: https://goo.gl/maps/fqw4Y9RAYfTWuViZA

-Pratunam market and platinum fashion mall for cheap clothing

-Mae Varee for mango sticky rice: https://goo.gl/maps/qKDt9Z9kH8tscGio6

-the non-tourist food court at MBK

-the animal section at JJ market

-the crocodile farm in samut prakan - definitely some controversy around this zoo, but where else can you feed chicken carcasses or fish to crocodiles?

-Ancient city

-dusit zoo?

Definitely visit the National Museum.  Check the hours and days it is open before you go.  I enjoyed the Dusit zoo.  Big lake, lots of greenery.  Sit down on the numerous park benches there and get some sun along with the green monitor lizards that tend to be all around there.  Quite peaceful actually.  I second taking the BTS skytrain.  To me it is a pretty good ride around town and a good look see out the window.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There are ten private small museums. The are odd restaurants suchcas one in a train. Try doing a tour of all the roof top bars. Get high getting high. Try shooting ranges, see a snake farm and ride an elephant. Go to Tawan Daeng and the studio, home of the morlam international dub band. What Bang Phra for the magic tatoo festival 

Edited by sunnyboy2018