Thai Court Orders Bahraini footballer Hakeem To Be Freed Today

webfact

48 minutes ago, samran said:

He checked with authorities three, I repeat, three times before he travelled, and the authorities assured him it was okay.

On another note, you must be fun at parties.

If I was a refugee on the Interpol red most wanted list I would of at least checked for myself I was off it before stepping out of Australia.even then its its not a good idea until you have an Australian passport.hes now set a president that if your a wanted criminal just make your way to a safe country and claim asylum.seems to fit the picture of being able to kick a football about but that's as smart as they get.

Edited by happy chappie
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

The out come was the best for all concerned , however it shouldn't have escalated to the height it did , the main concerning factor was in the past Thailand has erred on the side of dictators or totalitarian governments when making decisions about refugee people or groups, leaving western nations scratching the heads as to what direction Thailand is heading.

• Like 2

The balance of international diplomacy at work here.

Thailand has its embassy in Canberra and consulates in Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth.

Australia has its embassy in Bangkok and consulates in Chiang Mai and Phuket.

Australia has no embassy in Bahrain, and Bahrain has no embassy in Australia.   Very little mutual love.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

He checked with the Australian authorities and was told he was ok to travel. 

Yeah, then wasn't it was Australian authorities that tipped them? off hahaha just like the Bali 9?. Tipped Indonesian government off that Aussies were taking drugs out of their country knowing they would die instead of arresting them on home soil.  Not condoning them for what they did they knew the rules and completely different circumstances but its a bit like your own family turning on you. Not the Australia I once knew. 

1 hour ago, simple1 said:

It would be great if members fact checked before posting. Given Bahrain's treatment of pro democracy dissidents it is highly likely the charges were false. Bahrain was in breach of Interpol's own rules for issuing a Red Notice for someone who had been granted refugee status by Australia due to the Bahrain dictatorship abuse and torture. Thailand was in breach of Interpol rules to arrest and detain him. It has taken a ridiculous amount of time to free the guy for alleged reasons we cannot discuss on this forum.

So what facts have I got wrong.we know Arab countries do play by the rules,look at the Jamal khashoggi incident.we know about the human abuse.all I'm saying he must of known he was on the Interpol red list and didn't even spend one minute to check himself if his name was removed from the list.less face the fact that he ain't the sharpest knife in the draw.

I didn't actually say he was a criminal but was pointing out the fact anyone coming from these countries can commit a crime in their country and run to a safe country and claim asylum.

it would be interesting to know if Australia contacted Bahrain about the alleged offence or if they just took his word for it,oh I was playing football at the time.

52 minutes ago, Thechook said:

I think its wrong.  This guy is a convicted criminal and a fugitive.  Next every piece of garbage on the run will see Australia as the place to seek refuge from justice.  I dont believe australia should be harboring fugitives 

He was convicted of an offence that he almost certainly didn't commit, given that his lawyers apparently have evidence that he was playing in a televised football match at the time the crime is supposed to have taken place.

I'm not sure if you are familiar with Bahrain's execrable human rights record of persecuting (and prosecuting) members of the Shia community that al-Araibi was a member of during the pro-democracy protests of 2011/12, often arresting them on totally trumped-up charges for no other reason apparently, than the fact that they were daring to demand more representation for the Shia majority. Such arrestees were usually tortured after their arrests.

Even the Independent Commission of Inquiry established by King Hamad (head of the ruling Sunni minority) in its report released on 23 November 2012, confirmed "the Bahraini government's use of systematic torture and other forms of physical and psychological abuse on detainees, as well as other human rights violations".

Edited by GroveHillWanderer
  • Like 1