Can I be arrested for not having a TM30 stapled to my passport?

You did not state your visa, extension or whatever. You state you own the condo. Why would you be "checking in" with pp front desk. Arrested for what? You purchase a condo in los and adk if you can be arrested? Just curious.

Edited by DrJack54
Error

2 hours ago, steve187 said:

why do you not do the tm30 yourself that way you know its done and you get a receipt

I could but would prefer to avoid. In my experience it  took 5 minutes to several hours. To update the TM30 and staple it in my passport promenada was a madhouse. Maybe better now at new building?

12 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

You did not state your visa, extension or whatever. You state you own the condo. Why would you be "checking in" with pp front desk. Arrested for what? You purchase a condo in los and adk if you can be arrested? Just curious.

The condo wants to do the TM30, which is convenient. Police checks? I only have a copy on me but friends who can fetch the pp in case I was stopped. We also check in each other at least once a day, a buddy system.

I guess my question should be do the Chiang Mai police care if I don't have a TM30 stapled into my passport?

Edited by Date Masamune
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Date Masamune said:

I could but would prefer to avoid. In my experience it  took 5 minutes to several hours. To update the TM30 and staple it in my passport promenada was a madhouse. Maybe better now at new building?

The condo wants to do the TM30, which is convenient. Police checks? I only have a copy on me but friends who can fetch the pp in case I was stopped. We also check in each other at least once a day, a buddy system.

I guess my question should be do the Chiang Mai police care if I don't have a TM30 stapled into my passport?

I wouldn't be comfortable with that. Proof is in the pudding. Get a receipt to avoid future problems.

14 hours ago, elviajero said:

No you cannot be arrested. It’s possible you could be fined upto 2,000 baht if you can’t prove a report was made.

1600b. 

I’m also in Chiang Mai. Police don’t check you for that, ever. I don’t even bother with TM30, as long as you pay the fine it’s not a problem despite what the worry warts here will tell you. 

1 hour ago, stud858 said:

Well, yes you can be arrested for a made up story for whatever reason. But the law says pay a 2000 fine, which is really the most likely event 99.9 % of the time.

100% of the time. I’ve never heard of anyone being arrested for not having a TM.30 report receipt. In most cases it’s not the foreigners obligation to report. It’s the Owner or house-master or possessor or hotel/guesthouse manager.

The law says the fine is a max of 2,000 baht. Actual fines vary; THB 800/1,600/2,000 are typical. Hotels/guesthouse managers can be fined more.

41 minutes ago, Date Masamune said:

They don’t. You shouldn’t carry your passport around anyway. Make a copy, carry the copy.

I have lived in Chiang Mai for 8 years and have not once been asked for my passport by the police. It’s a very relaxed city. 

1 minute ago, dcnx said:
14 hours ago, elviajero said:

No you cannot be arrested. It’s possible you could be fined upto 2,000 baht if you can’t prove a report was made.

1600b. 

I’m also in Chiang Mai. Police don’t check you for that, ever. I don’t even bother with TM30, as long as you pay the fine it’s not a problem despite what the worry warts here will tell you

2,000 baht is the max fine. People have reported fines of 800K, 1.6K and 2K.

28 minutes ago, elviajero said:

100% of the time. I’ve never heard of anyone being arrested for not having a TM.30 report receipt. In most cases it’s not the foreigners obligation to report. It’s the Owner or house-master or possessor or hotel/guesthouse manager.

The law says the fine is a max of 2,000 baht. Actual fines vary; THB 800/1,600/2,000 are typical. Hotels/guesthouse managers can be fined more.

Yeah, ok. I'm just having a stick at the hokey pokey rules of the day.

People, I know have been arrested and fined massive amounts for unreasonable excuses. They, the unlucky ones or trouble makers perhaps.

15 hours ago, Date Masamune said:

Can I be arrested for not having a TM30 stapled to my passport?

Looks like in Thailand (and Asia) they like stapling all kind of papers in your passport :glare: but AFAIK none of them is mandatory for Thailand. So just take them with your passport when you need them, e.g. the TM.6 only when you exit Thailand.

If anyone can get fined, it's the condo building manager for not filing a TM30, but not you. It's the same "mechanism" as staying over at a hotel: the hotel should register you with Immigration police (some do...) and not you!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, elviajero said:

They were going to fine me 3500 Baht at Jomtien a couple of years ago for not doing a TM28,  I was ‘detained’ upstairs for 3 hours but eventually let me 

2 hours ago, AsiaCheese said:

If anyone can get fined, it's the condo building manager for not filing a TM30, but not you. It's the same "mechanism" as staying over at a hotel: the hotel should register you with Immigration police (some do...) and not you!

I am the owner and user of the condo TM30 IS responsibility.

This condo has been an apparent subject of interest due to many illegal Air n B Chinese trying to crack down but it is a complex issue. 

2 hours ago, Date Masamune said:

I am the owner and user of the condo TM30 IS responsibility.

This condo has been an apparent subject of interest due to many illegal Air n B Chinese trying to crack down but it is a complex issue. 

The most you can be fined is 2000 baht for not doing a TM30 report under section 38. Certainly not arrested for not having the slip in your passport. Many people would not have a receipt for one since they stayed in hotels and such that did the report online.

From the immigration act.

Section 77 : Whoever fails to comply with the provision of Section 38, shall be punished with a fine not
exceeding 2,000 Baht. If said person is a hotel manager, he shall be punished with a fine from 2,000 Baht
to 10,000 Baht.

5 hours ago, AsiaCheese said:

If the OP is the owner they can be fined for not reporting.

2 hours ago, elviajero said:

If the OP is the owner they can be fined for not reporting.

Owner should be fined but in reality you encounter this when wanting to extend your visa. You then have the option to get the landlord there in real time or pay it yourself to be able and continue with the extension application. Bit lame as it is a choice without choice 99/100 times. But when owning you are the same person so not relevant then. I never been asked for it in Bangkok neither Chiang Mai until recently and paid the fine myself.

Edited by tabarin
  • Haha 1

If our condo has reported you to immigration online they can print a copy for you, easy. But you still have to do it yourself, normally.

This makes no sense at all.
They sat they can’t print a copy. Now if the Condo files the TM30 I still have to go to the Immigration office to do it AGAIN for the same entry anyway?

16 hours ago, geisha said:

If our condo has reported you to immigration online they can print a copy for you, easy. But you still have to do it yourself, normally.

Why, it has been done by those who should be taking the responsibility. Your point could also be applied to those staying in hotels and nobody would get through the doors at immigration.

32 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Why, it has been done by those who should be taking the responsibility. Your point could also be applied to those staying in hotels and nobody would get through the doors at immigration.

Normally you do it, he means

1 hour ago, Date Masamune said:

This makes no sense at all.
They sat they can’t print a copy. Now if the Condo files the TM30 I still have to go to the Immigration office to do it AGAIN for the same entry anyway?

If the reporting is done online and you have a screen print of this then there is no need to do anything else as the print screen is proof of registration.