Two Visas

9 minutes ago, Crossy said:

And the beast itself says "Re-entry Permit".

Whilst the terminology is mostly semantics there are important differences between say a Non-OA retirement visa (from a consulate outside Thailand) and a retirement extension (from immigration in Thailand).

In order to give correct advice we need to know exactly what a poster actually has whatever he's calling it. It can take several posts to determine this.

I am the original poster. The post is not about a personal situation. It's about a question that arose from our small Farang group here in Central Thailand. It seems I worded the original question wrong because of all the twists and turns of the responses. Here is the question again:

For the sake of semantics:

Job = Teaching

Visa = Marriage, extension, child

Permit = ?????

I'm here on a Marriage Visa, I want to work legally at the Village school. They have to assist me in getting the proper paperwork to make everything legitimate. Do they help get me a "work permit" that will have no effect on my Marriage Visa?, or do I need a "work Visa" and can I have that in conjunction with my Marriage Visa?

What is a work "permit", how do you apply for one, and how long does it last for a job. Can you just leave a job, void the permit and continue to stay on with whatever Visa you have to begin with (marriage, extension, child)?

Can you continue to get a "permit" to work a job, leave, and then apply for another "permit" to work a another job ?

You have a marriage extension against which you ought to be able to get a Work Permit (you need a WP to work legally).

It can depend upon the local labour office (they are as bad as immigration in making up their own rules) or that your employer does not understand that marriage visas/extensions are permitted to hold work permits. They may want you to go and get a B visa.

Hold your ground, your marriage extension is more useful (it's not linked to your job) than having to go and get a B (business/work) visa and extension (which is linked to your job and will be cancelled if you leave work).

You definitely need the help of your employer to get a WP they need to supply a stack of documentation. If they've not done it before the person tasked with sorting your WP needs to talk to the labour office to determine what's needed.

I don't teach, but I understand there are special requirments for teachers and WPs best to post in the Teaching forum for details.

EDIT Once you have your work permit it lasts a year and needs renewing every year (mine is now 10+ years old and looking decidedly dog-eared). Assuming you still managed to keep your marriage extension you can just leave the job and cancel the WP.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, impulse said:

Believe me, don't believe me.  Guess all you want.   It happened exactly as stated.  

He is not saying he does not believe you, he just feels that whichever WP or visa it eas that you were travelling on was a multi-entry whether you realised it or not.

He is asking you to show it for the sake of clarification.

If you exit the country on a single-entry visa that visa is then cancelled.

Yes... It's possible. 

I have the Thai Elite Visa and when I worked here I've had to Exit & re-enter on a type B & apply for extension of stay based on work permit (or something to that effect). 

----------

I had a minor issue on entry once after a trip back to the UK.

The project I was on was was aborted while I was taking a trip to the UK. 

I was a work permit & extension of stay which was expiring the day after I landed.

The immigration officer stamped me in for one day! 

I argued that he can stamp me in on my Elite Visa, he said no, it had to be my Extension of stay which meant I wotld have had to depart again the following day!!!! 

Nor happy with that I stood firm and the Immigration officer called his boss, she listened to me and corrected the stamp for 90 days (TE visa) instead of the 1 day!!!! 

57 minutes ago, rott said:
6 hours ago, impulse said:

Believe me, don't believe me.  Guess all you want.   It happened exactly as stated.  

He is not saying he does not believe you, he just feels that whichever WP or visa it eas that you were travelling on was a multi-entry whether you realised it or not.

He is asking you to show it for the sake of clarification.

If you exit the country on a single-entry visa that visa is then cancelled.

Can you see the futility of proving that I don't have a multi-entry visa?  Like, posting a photo of all 60+ pages of my passport?  How would I prove I didn't omit one?

I had exactly one visa to enter Thailand in 2011.  After that, I had extensions of stay based on my annual WPs.   The WPs weren't produced for the IO upon entry, so it's doubtful they were "Multi-entry". 

And since the original visa wasn't valid after 2012...

Yet, I traveled to China several times, with no issues coming back through BKK.  And no re-entry permits.   Again, hard to prove I never got one.  But I didn't.

Can you see the futility of proving that I don't have a multi-entry visa?  Like, posting a photo of all 60+ pages of my passport?  How would I prove I didn't omit one?

I had exactly one visa to enter Thailand in 2011.  After that, I had extensions of stay based on my annual WPs.   The WPs weren't produced for the IO upon entry, so it's doubtful they were "Multi-entry". 

And since the original visa wasn't valid after 2012...

Yet, I traveled to China several times, with no issues coming back through BKK.  And no re-entry permits.   Again, hard to prove I never got one.  But I didn't.
If you didn't have a Re-entry permit your Extension would have been cancelled. I expect you just didn't realise you had one, or you're being deliberately obtuse!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

55 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

If you didn't have a Re-entry permit your Extension would have been cancelled. I expect you just didn't realise you had one, or you're being deliberately obtuse!

Wouldn't I have had to pay for one?  I never did.  One more guy calling me a liar.  

Maybe they just let me in visa exempt.  I don't claim to know how it worked.  But I do remember very well what happened.   I never applied for, or paid for a re-entry permit.  Yet I traveled to China several times during my tenure in Thailand under annual extensions based on a WP.

Edited by impulse

1 hour ago, impulse said:

It is really difficult to believe that immigration could continually believe you have multiple reentry permits when there was none in your passport. However, as you say, there is no way of proving collective hallucinations by immigration. The fact nevertheless is that your permission to stay ends when you leave Thailand, and on your return you are given a new permission to stay based on visa, reentry permit or (if you have neither) visa exempt entry.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, impulse said:

Wouldn't I have had to pay for one?  I never did.  One more guy calling me a liar. 

Did you do your own extension of stay, or did someone at the company do it for you? Normally, those on extensions of stay based on working tend to have work permits and extensions of stay arranged for them. In that situation, it is fairly routine for a multiple reentry permit to be applied for the same day as your extension, paying the total fee of 5,700 baht (1,900 baht for the extension and 3,800 baht for the multiple reentry permit).

• Like 1