Two Visas

Is it possible to hold two Visas under separate covers. For example, if someone has a marriage or extended stay Visa and decides to go to work, say teaching, can that individual get a work Visa and also hold the marriage or extension Visa at the same time? Or is it one or the other?

5 hours ago, Christophers200 said:

Extensions of stay based on work or marriage are not visas.

Maybe you should tell Thai immigration, Thai consuls, agents, lawyers, virtually every expat you’ll ever meet, and whoever came up with the definition of visa; because they all will disagree.

6 hours ago, streetlite said:

Is it possible to hold two Visas under separate covers. For example, if someone has a marriage or extended stay Visa and decides to go to work, say teaching, can that individual get a work Visa and also hold the marriage or extension Visa at the same time? Or is it one or the other?

Yes in some circumstances it’s possible to hold two valid (entry) visas, But not in the circumstances you describe.

To be able to work you need the right type of entry visa. Normally a Non Immigrant ‘B’, but it can be a category ‘O’ if you’re the spouse or parent of a Thai.

Then before you can work you need to apply for a Work Permit from the department of labour.

In the example you give the person would be best advised to have a Non ‘O’ visa and extension of stay as a spouse. That way the permission to stay is not dependent on  a job/work permit.

Someone with a Non ‘B’ visa and extension of stay based on their job/work would need to leave the country and/or arrange another visa/permit to stay.l when the job ended.

I have a Thai Elite visa.  If I want to work, I need to add a non-immigrant B visa. The Elite visa keeps 'running in the background' until I stop working, exit Thailand and come back again using my Elite visa, (assuming that the 5 year term hasn't yet expired).

1 hour ago, simon43 said:

I have a Thai Elite visa.  If I want to work, I need to add a non-immigrant B visa. The Elite visa keeps 'running in the background' until I stop working, exit Thailand and come back again using my Elite visa, (assuming that the 5 year term hasn't yet expired).

No, the Elite visa itself gets cancelled and a non B is issued.

What keeps running in the background is your membership to the Thai Elite "club", that entitles you to a PE visa as long as you are a member. So in theory, if you're done with your non B you are reissued the Elite visa for the remaining validity of your membership.

But one should check any "catches" to the above example or confirm its accuracy. They may say...."we only issue Thai Elite in increments of 5 years". Then one is f#ck#d. Unless they upgrade.

Maybe some members that promote Thai Elite on this forum can further clarify.

Edited by lkv

5 minutes ago, lkv said:

How do you know that it gets cancelled? I don't really see a reason why it should get cancelled

A while ago somebody posted pictures of his passport here on Thaivisa, he had two valid, unused, SETV in his passport.

So imho getting a non-B + non-O is possible, at least in theory, but an embassy might refuse to issue one if somebody has the other already.

3 minutes ago, jackdd said:

How do you know that it gets cancelled? I don't really see a reason why it should get cancelled

I don't, I'm speculating, but think of the Elite Visa PE as a special tourist visa that does not allow work.

Say you have an METV in your passport and you apply for a non B at the consulate overseas. They will void your METV if its still valid, before they issue your non B. No?

Edited by lkv

2 hours ago, elviajero said:

Maybe you should tell Thai immigration, Thai consuls, agents, lawyers, virtually every expat you’ll ever meet, and whoever came up with the definition of visa; because they all will disagree.

Does an extension of stay, on its own, allow entry? If not it is not a visa. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, elviajero said:

Perhaps you should tell them, because no matter what they call it if that stamp in the passport does not say visa then it is NOT a visa.

3 hours ago, elviajero said:

Most Thais probably cannot even say "extension of stay" if they even know the English term. It is easier for them to say "visa", and keeping foreigners confused about what they are getting may even be seen as a positive feature by agents. As for expats, you only need to read this board to see the ignorance that pervades most of them when it comes to immigration matters.

The fact is that it is really important for people to know the difference between "visa", "extension of stay", "reentry permit",  "90-day report", "TM30 notification", "overstay", "missed report" etc. That people are regularly confused in their interactions elsewhere makes it even more important that we are precise and stress the differences here.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Christophers200 said:

What you have is a ‘Permit’. What the permit does is grant you permission to extend your stay for x time. So no it does not allow entry. A re-entry would be required.

How is it possible for a Re-entry ‘Permit’ to allow entry when it’s not called a visa?

Should they rename a Re-entry Permit a Re-entry Visa?

1 hour ago, rott said:

Perhaps you should tell them, because no matter what they call it if that stamp in the passport does not say visa then it is NOT a visa.

Correct. It’s a Permit.

47 minutes ago, elviajero said:

What you have is a ‘Permit’. What the permit does is grant you permission to extend your stay for x time. So no it does not allow entry. A re-entry would be required.

How is it possible for a Re-entry ‘Permit’ to allow entry when it’s not called a visa?

Correct. It’s a Permit.

It is whatever the issuer says it is, when the issuer says it is a visa it will be a visa. But not before.

2 hours ago, Christophers200 said:
5 hours ago, elviajero said:

I often traveled between BKK and China when I had a WP and an extension of stay based on those annual WPs.   Never had a problem entering on the extension of stay over a period of 6+ years.  Never got a re-entry permit.  Never needed one.

As always, I do not claim to know the rules.  I just know what happened to me.

Edited by impulse

21 minutes ago, impulse said:

I often traveled between BKK and China when I had a WP and an extension of stay based on those annual WPs.   Never had a problem entering on the extension of stay over a period of 6+ years.  Never got a re-entry permit.  Never needed one.

As always, I do not claim to know the rules.  I just know what happened to me.

I challenge you to post pictures for proof of what you say. I sense something is off with your description of what's happening.  If I had to guess--it would be that you have a "multiple entry" whatever.   

OK, over to you...

Edited by mosan

10 minutes ago, mosan said:

I challenge you to post pictures for proof of what you say. I sense something is off with your description of what's happening.  If I had to guess--it would be that you have a "multiple entry" whatever.   

OK, over to you...

Believe me, don't believe me.  Guess all you want.   It happened exactly as stated.  

3 hours ago, elviajero said:

Correct. It’s a Permit.

Does this re-entry permit provide a new permission to stay date?  If not why not if you claim it is a visa? 

• Like 1

Incorrect.  The PE visa remains uncancelled in my passport and I can simply pick up using it if/when I stop working - I have to do a visa run to reactivate the Elite visa (all according to Thailand elite).

1 hour ago, Christophers200 said:

Does this re-entry permit provide a new permission to stay date? 

When you leave the country — even with a Re-entry Permit — your current permit to stay ends.

When you re-enter you are given a new permit to stay, and if you have a Re-entry Permit you’ll be stamped in for the remaining time of the previously authorised stay.

So the answer is that you receive a new permit to stay with the same date as your last permit to stay.

If not why not if you claim it is a visa? 

I am not claiming it’s a visa.

I asked you how come it’s not called a visa, because you implied a Permit to Stay (“extension of stay”) can’t be a visa because it doesn’t permit entry.

“Does an extension of stay, on its own, allow entry? If not it is not a visa.“

So I want to know why a permit that does permit entry isn’t called a Re-entry visa?

Edited by elviajero

1 minute ago, elviajero said:

So I want to know why a permit that does permit entry isn’t called a Re-entry visa?

Just to add to the confusion the sign pointing to the re-entry desk at Swampy (certainly used to) says "Re-entry Visa".

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, simon43 said:

Incorrect.  The PE visa remains uncancelled in my passport and I can simply pick up using it if/when I stop working - I have to do a visa run to reactivate the Elite visa (all according to Thailand elite).

I’ve known it happen both ways.

Even if it’s cancelled the TE membership continues, which would allow for a new PE visa to be issued when required.

7 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Just to add to the confusion the sign pointing to the re-entry desk at Swampy (certainly used to) says "Re-entry Visa".

So immigration call an entry visa a visa, have been known to call a re-entry permit a visa, and call permits authorising an extension of stay a visa.

Who’d of thought it ????

My point has always been that “visa” is a generic word for anything stuck or stamped in a passport allowing entry to, or a stay in, a foreign country; therefore, “ignorant expats” are fully justified in referring to the permit in their passport as a visa.

27 minutes ago, elviajero said:

So immigration call an entry visa a visa, have been known to call a re-entry permit a visa, and call permits authorising an extension of stay a visa.

Who’d of thought it ????

My point has always been that “visa” is a generic word for anything stuck or stamped in a passport allowing entry to, or a stay in, a foreign country; therefore, “ignorant expats” are fully justified in referring to the permit in their passport as a visa.

Your posting history suggests otherwise - best make up the mind!

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

And the beast itself says "Re-entry Permit".

Whilst the terminology is mostly semantics there are important differences between say a Non-OA retirement visa (from a consulate outside Thailand) and a retirement extension (from immigration in Thailand).

In order to give correct advice we need to know exactly what a poster actually has whatever he's calling it. It can take several posts to determine this.

• Like 1