Tabian Baan Blue And Yellow Books

<snip>

And you would not be in Thailand on a tourist visa.

Why?

You can buy a condo on a tourist visa (even on a 30 day entry stamp) and are entitled to a yellow book as owner.

Or is there a visa requirement to issue the yellow book?

What is the criteria for the issue of a "yellow book" by the Thai authorities and who issues the document.

What documents are required to apply for a "yellow book"

This information is what is required.

This info is widely covered at the pinned topics on top of real estate page

Hi, I have read a few threads about the tabian baan but am really none the wiser about what it is really for.

My understanding, please tell me if I am mistaken, is that it details the owner and any residents.

As a farang, I have been told that I cannot be entered in the blue book but must have my own yellow book.

Does the yellow book detail that a farang is the owner of the house?

I ask because at the end of the year we, Thai wife and myself, will start to build a house.

As all the funds are mine I would like myself to be 'the owner of the house' and wonder if the yellow book details the owner of the house?

I know that I do not own the land and intend to go the lease or usufruct route on that one.

Thanks for reading, Andy.

Tabien Baan or yellow book does not state who the owner is, only who resides in the property. The first resident in tabien Baan is master of the house, and does not need to be the owner (even if your wife can continue to belive so).

To become the owner of the house you must get buildingpermit in your name, and to do that you normally need a lease or usufruct for the land its build on. Several threads how to do this already. Good luck

Building permit in your name? That must be rubbish because how can you still own it when you sell it?

Building permit in your name? That must be rubbish because how can you still own it when you sell it?

Building permit and ownership of house in your name is not rubbish. Several threads on how to do this already. Besides I have done it and so have several friends.

Even possible to do so when purchasing from projects, by having buildingpermit transfered some time ahead of transfer land and Tabien Baan issued.

<snip>

Why?

You can buy a condo on a tourist visa (even on a 30 day entry stamp) and are entitled to a yellow book as owner.

Or is there a visa requirement to issue the yellow book?

You can buy a condo probably even remotlely without even a tourist visa.

However if you are a Farang and buy a Farang 'quota' freehold condominium you will get a blue house book.

More info here

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Freehold-Lea...ms-t269027.html

If you are are a farang/farang couple the blue book does not have your names in it (as I once thought). Your names are on the

Chanoot

Now this, to add to confusion, is also spelt Chanote god knows which spelling is correct :)

Edited by pkrv

So I buy the house from you and the building permit is in your name, you still own the house do you?

If I own a house and sell it, I no longer own it. Not in LOS and not anywhere else I know about.

The new owner signs and registers a sales agreement at the land office thus superseding the building permit as proof of ownership.

So I buy the house from you and the building permit is in your name, you still own the house do you?

If I own a house and sell it, I no longer own it. Not in LOS and not anywhere else I know about.

The new owner signs and registers a sales agreement at the land office thus superseding the building permit as proof of ownership.

yepp, and Tabien Baan or yellow book was never indication of ownership and still isnt.

Actually after registering new owner in title deed in land office, it can take 6 months to have previous residents removed from Tabien Baan, done by Amphur or Tessabaan.

• 5 weeks later...

I have my own tambien baan. Instead of a supplying my wifes, I can now give my own instead.

You need it for supply of electricity, water, telephone S\HS internet connection and other things so it is useful. If you are not married to a Thai then it is even more so. I also send it with my maid for the ninety day reporting. I never go myself.

• 2 months later...

I came across an interesting tabian baan issue. Special Branch will not accept applications for naturalization if parents' nationalities are not shown in applicants' tabian baan. In my original blue tabian baan, done over 10 years ago, my parents names were there but with their nationalities shown as "unspecified". I can't remember being asked what my parents' nationalities were and didn't notice this until a few years later when the same particulars had been transferred to my new tabian baan when I got my own one as "householder" after moving out of a rented apartment. So far having "stateless" parents has not been a problem with any one else apart from Special Branch, although several people have now pointed out that it is "mai suay" to have parents recorded in this way. I went to my amphur to ask to have this information corrected in my tabian baan and was confronted by the nasty stonewalling type of government official who goes out of his way to be unhelpful and gives out cold stares to citizens and foreigners alike asking politely for help or advice. He said he could not help or even suggest how to set about solving the problem, as the entries had not been made by his amphur but only taken over from my original amphur. So I went to my original amphur and found it was chalk and cheese. Happy, smilling government officials well dressed in a bright and clean looking office - a big contrast with the miserable looking people going through the motions of working in glum surroundings of my present amphur. If any member of the public was sitting at an attended desk for more than a few minutes, an officer would approach them and ask them if they were being helped. Within a few minutes one of them had dug out the sheaf of documents from original application and given me certified copies of them to take to my present amphur and outlined a plan of action to get a translated and certified statement from my embassy confirming my parents' nationalities to take my amphur. So I am hoping that the nasty man with the cold stares there will accept this paperwork, when i get it together and not stonewall me again.

I am wondering if others with blue or yellow tabian baan's have their parents' nationalities in them or whether most foreigners have parents with unspecified nationalities. Interestingly I noticed in the paperwork I was given pertaining to my original application that the mother of my my former landlord, a Thai Chinese, was also shown as "nationality unspecified" in his tabian baan.

The contrast between two amphurs in Bangkok is staggering. It is easy to understand why some people have to move to a different amphur in order to get an ID card or tabian baan. It is a really a shame for Thai people that their civil servants are allowed to get away with such inconsistent standards of service to the public.

• 1 month later...

I am new to all this. I have seen Blue, Yellow, Green and I also have my landlords Tabian Baan which is Black!!

Could someone who really knows about these (not "guessers"), post a definition/explanation of use etc about the various colours/books?

I am sure many would appreciate this.

So the real purpose of the yellow and blue books (tabien baan) is proof for the Thai government agencies

that you live at a particular address, and if the book is in your name, that you are the housemaster.

Ownership of property will be on the title deed of the property and would be registered.

Correct?

Ownership of the land is in the land title deed, Nors Sor 3 Gor or Chanote.

Normally the owner of the land is also the owner of the house. Its possible to avoid this by having a lease or usufruct registered on the title deed and have buildingpermit issued in your name.

Registering in tabien baan or yellow book is not needed, and does not make anyone the owner of house. Only a buildingpermit does.

The yellow book is good to have, among many purposes it replaces immigration or embassy issued Certificate of Recidense, needed for registration of vehicles, opening bank account or getting thai creditcard.

As had already been said on this thread, you do not need a Yellow book to open a bank account, nor to register a vehicle. I have done both without having a Yellow Book - I simply took along my wife and her Blue Book. Maybe it is different if you do not have both these?

I don't know about credit cards, but I suspect it's the same as a bank account.

I have seen enough experienced TV members comment that they have never used their Yellow Book to conclude that it is not worth the time and money.

To get to first base in applying for a Yellow Book you have to go to your Embassy to get your birth certificate authenticated (if you are a Brit that will cost about 2,100 baht), get the birth certificate and authentication letter translated (300 baht) and trudge up to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to get the translated version legalised (800 baht). A lot of money unless you can be sure it is worthwhile.

Maybe if you see the need for multiple uses of a certificate of residence as being necessary it could be worth it, but nobody has yet given a good account of the Yellow Book having saved them money or time.

Different office, different day, different answers in this Nation. I NEVER had to:

"To get to first base in applying for a Yellow Book you have to go to your Embassy to get your birth certificate authenticated (if you are a Brit that will cost about 2,100 baht), get the birth certificate and authentication letter translated (300 baht) and trudge up to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to get the translated version legalised (800 baht). A lot of money unless you can be sure it is worthwhile."

I obtained a yellow house book when I lived in a relative's village house with no rental contract. In our Amphur the presentation of a Yellow House book saved me a trip to the nearest Thai Immigration office or the trip and expense at a USA consulate or Embassy for a paper to prove residency. Once I jumped through the typical hoops at the local Government office (they actually are quite pleasant and they will tell you everything you need to obtain a yellow house book if you go in person to the correct office) I obtained my first Yellow House book. In our town, once you have a yellow house book you can obtain utilities in your name, a building permit in your name ONLY, use it as a proof or residence at the Land Transportation Office, etc.. When our new home was ready to obtain a "house number", the yellow house book was turned in at one office and a letter was given to present at the new town for a new yellow book without hardly any hoops to jump through. I could have obtained a "permit to build" if I had a) yellow house book :) Letter from Immigration, c) Letter from USA Embassy or Consulate, along with the other items needed for a "permit to build". Obtaining a Yellow House book was way less money and hassle in my situation and it has served me well.

There was absolutely no fee or whiff of "speed up money" for a Yellow House book at two different towns in Issan. Now the Yellow House book is used for Bank, Utility and auto registration issues. It saves TIME and MONEY in my case as the Embassy, Consulate or Thai Immigration offices are several hours from our small town. My wife and child are in the Blue House book.

Thanks. You are the first person I have read on TV who could make a convincing case for a Yellow House Book. And yes I did fall into the trap - having slagged off one member for being over-definitive I then got over-definitive myself. I should have remembered that the rules for getting a Yellow House Book vary from amphur to amphur and you can only establish them by going to your own amphur office and asking.

• 2 months later...

Can any one answer this simply. Do you need a Blue Book to sell a house (the house is in a Thai name).

When my wife bought the house we went to the Land registry (Pattaya ) and I sat outside why she went in with the previous owners to register the sale. I cant remember ever having a Blue Book or even her mentioning it. We never lived in the house and she now wants to sell it. Is there going to be a problem about the book. She lives in the UK now and only comes over for a holiday.

Can any one answer this simply. Do you need a Blue Book to sell a house (the house is in a Thai name).

When my wife bought the house we went to the Land registry (Pattaya ) and I sat outside why she went in with the previous owners to register the sale. I cant remember ever having a Blue Book or even her mentioning it. We never lived in the house and she now wants to sell it. Is there going to be a problem about the book. She lives in the UK now and only comes over for a holiday.

The Blue Book is needed by your wife as part of the ID process. By Thai law she must be registered in a Blue Book somewhere. Additionally, how does she plan to sell the property while in the UK.

The Blue Book is needed by your wife as part of the ID process. By Thai law she must be registered in a Blue Book somewhere. Additionally, how does she plan to sell the property while in the UK.

She is probably registered at her mothers house, and she will be over on holiday in a couple of weeks. The sale has already been agreed with the buyer.

Sorry but the blue book is not needed to make the sale

Also, if the blue book were needed, it does not necessarily bears the name of the owner but the housmaster's name

If one does not have this book (or the title deed for that matter) and needs it for any reasons, one has to declare the loss to the police station

Edited by alyx

So the real purpose of the yellow and blue books (tabien baan) is proof for the Thai government agencies

that you live at a particular address, and if the book is in your name, that you are the housemaster.

Ownership of property will be on the title deed of the property and would be registered.

Correct?

Ownership of the land is in the land title deed, Nors Sor 3 Gor or Chanote.

Normally the owner of the land is also the owner of the house. Its possible to avoid this by having a lease or usufruct registered on the title deed and have buildingpermit issued in your name.

Registering in tabien baan or yellow book is not needed, and does not make anyone the owner of house. Only a buildingpermit does.

The yellow book is good to have, among many purposes it replaces immigration or embassy issued Certificate of Recidense, needed for registration of vehicles, opening bank account or getting thai creditcard.

As had already been said on this thread, you do not need a Yellow book to open a bank account, nor to register a vehicle. I have done both without having a Yellow Book - I simply took along my wife and her Blue Book. Maybe it is different if you do not have both these?

No, not different if you don't have both.

I have neither a Thai wife nor a Yellow Book and have registers 2 cars and opened 3 bank accounts in my name, and my wife has opened 1 bank account and registered 1 car without a Thai husband or a Yellow Book.

I spent all of last week trying to open bank accounts and have no doubt that the Tabien Baan is a document that adds weight, especially if you don't have a work permit. The bank officers took much more than just a glance at the color copies of the first couple of pages of my Tabien Baan, and some even requested that I bring the original.

Now I still have a problem with getting internet banking access with Bangkok Bank, even though their web site states that the requirement is that you either need a work permit or be a resident, and my Tabien Baan is proof of the latter. I think the problem is that I still use Tourist Visas to stay in Thailand, so the account type that was given to me was a non-resident one, and the branch insisted that I must have a work permit to get internet banking. Maybe I need to get my account type changed.

Would a Tabien Baan allow me to get a better visa than a Tourist Visa? It seems that I am still being treated as a tourist by Bangkok Bank because of my visa, even though I have proof that I reside Thailand.

Edited by hyperdimension

Embassy to get your birth certificate authenticated [/u](if you are a Brit that will cost about 2,100 baht), get the birth certificate and authentication letter translated (300 baht) and trudge up to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to get the translated version legalised (800 baht). A lot of money unless you can be sure it is worthwhile.

Maybe if you see the need for multiple uses of a certificate of residence as being necessary it could be worth it, but nobody has yet given a good account of the Yellow Book having saved them money or time.

I didnt???????

I spent all of last week trying to open bank accounts and have no doubt that the Tabien Baan is a document that adds weight, especially if you don't have a work permit. The bank officers took much more than just a glance at the color copies of the first couple of pages of my Tabien Baan, and some even requested that I bring the original.

Now I still have a problem with getting internet banking access with Bangkok Bank, even though their web site states that the requirement is that you either need a work permit or be a resident, and my Tabien Baan is proof of the latter. I think the problem is that I still use Tourist Visas to stay in Thailand, so the account type that was given to me was a non-resident one, and the branch insisted that I must have a work permit to get internet banking. Maybe I need to get my account type changed.

Would a Tabien Baan allow me to get a better visa than a Tourist Visa? It seems that I am still being treated as a tourist by Bangkok Bank because of my visa, even though I have proof that I reside Thailand.

Yellow tabien baan is not proof of residency, it is proof of your address in thailand. Only proof of residency i know of is PR meaning permanent resident status with the various books you get with it. Or Thai ID card which most of us can not have.

So the yellow book just replaces the embassy/immigration address letter required everywhere. Like car purchase or local DL, you still need to have non-immigrant visa and the proof of address. Granted in many places you get better treatment and maybe bit more relaxed requirements when they see the yellow book. And yes, before they jump on me, in some cases it is possible to register car in your name or get a DL without non-imm visa as the rules are not followed everywhere but that does not change the fact that it is a requirement.

For the banks try somewhere else, the reports here indicate that some banks or branch offices have more relaxed rules for foreigners. Just keep trying until you find one that will do it for you. Having any kind of visa other than tourist visa will help also.

Embassy to get your birth certificate authenticated [/u](if you are a Brit that will cost about 2,100 baht), get the birth certificate and authentication letter translated (300 baht) and trudge up to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to get the translated version legalised (800 baht). A lot of money unless you can be sure it is worthwhile.

I didnt???????

For me it was easier and took less time to get the yellow book than getting the address letter from my embassy. Since we had new ambassador and new consular staff it has not been easy to deal with them as they are just too busy re-inventing the wheel once again...

Now when i have it there is no more frequent trips to embassy which always take half a day and costs couple of thousands baht per letter. I just can go direct to LTD to renew my DL armed with the yellow book. Sold a bike few weeks ago again without the need to visit the embassy and pay for the letter. Same will apply once i buy new one shortly.

So for me it saves time and money.

Someone who is just renting an apartment, taking money from the ATM's and using prepaid sim cards it does not make any difference but the moment you start to set yourself up here it comes handy and saves lot of time and some money as well.