Top lawyer comments on motorcycle on footpath incident: Not attempted murder but assault

webfact

I have to agree with this lawyer (must be western educated).

Netizens and Thaivisa members do tend to be a little over-the-top sometimes.

I hardly see this as attempted murder.

And as for other threads where there is talk of "crushing" the street racer's bikes, I realize TIT but that would hardly be a legal recourse.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Eligius said:

What a joke - consulting a Thai lawyer (and this one was clearly a genius, judging by his astute comments).

I have on occasion said to Thai law students: 'Don't you think it's rather strange and pointless -  studying Law when Thailand is a completely lawless land?'

They never see my point. They are so brainwashed, they really believe that Thailand abides by law.

If only ...

You still work here?

12 hours ago, ocddave said:

If I kick the motorcyclist over while he is trying to hit me, then walked over and punched his lights out while throwing his keys down the nearest storm drain, would that be considered assault or self-defense?

Attemted murder with a bully twist ...

Edited by ttrd

13 hours ago, ocddave said:

If I kick the motorcyclist over while he is trying to hit me, then walked over and punched his lights out while throwing his keys down the nearest storm drain, would that be considered assault or self-defense?

I’m always afraid that’s what I’m going to do ????

• Like 1

Tend to agree with lawyer to the dismay of some on here, it just looks like anger and fortunately the moped wasn’t able to cause a fatality.

It’s like punching someone yes you can kill them and likely to be prosecuted for that, but murder is with the intent to kill, sometimes it’s the intent to hurt and there’s the difference.

• Like 1

The pedestrian should have gotten out of the way of the motorbike. Instead, he just stood there apparently willing to get hit. I'm not justifying the motorcyclists action - it was definitely assault. Attempted murder would have required some kind of "big bike".

From "motorbike-infested Thailand" that tallies around 45 motorcyclist road kills/day, what does one expect?

47 minutes ago, djayz said:

Are you nuts?! The pedestrian had every right to stand on the footpath. It's the <deleted>' motorcyclist who is in the wrong here. Firstly, he shouldn't have been riding his bike on the path in first place, then, after having been told off he turned around with the sole intention of showing the pedestrian who's boss. He rode right into him with the intent of harming him! 

The pedestrian deserves two medals. One for pointing out to the young lad that footpaths aren't for motorbikes and a second for not bowing to the bully. 

Ditto.

Totally ditto !

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MaxYakov said:

The pedestrian should have gotten out of the way of the motorbike. Instead, he just stood there apparently willing to get hit. I'm not justifying the motorcyclists action - it was definitely assault. Attempted murder would have required some kind of "big bike".

From "motorbike-infested Thailand" that tallies around 45 motorcyclist road kills/day, what does one expect?

The pedestrian should have swung his arm out and hooked the rider by his neck and drag him off the bike and then proceeded to beat him to death.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/15/2019 at 9:24 AM, ocddave said:

where are WE ????!!! and are you a farang?

Edited by essox essox
after thought

3 hours ago, djayz said:

Are you nuts?! The pedestrian had every right to stand on the footpath. It's the <deleted>' motorcyclist who is in the wrong here. Firstly, he shouldn't have been riding his bike on the path in first place, then, after having been told off he turned around with the sole intention of showing the pedestrian who's boss. He rode right into him with the intent of harming him! 

The pedestrian deserves two medals. One for pointing out to the young lad that footpaths aren't for motorbikes and a second for not bowing to the bully. 

Am probably nuts by now, but are you willing to go stand in front of (or anywhere near) a motorbike that has decided to use the sidewalk?

I did not justify the motorbike's using the sidewalk, but you edited my post and took that sentence out of context making seem I had. The next time you decide to edit someone's post in a reply it's a good idea to indicate that action in your reply or in the quoted portion.

Here's my entire post unedited:

"The pedestrian should have gotten out of the way of the motorbike. Instead, he just stood there apparently willing to get hit. I'm not justifying the motorcyclists action - it was definitely assault. Attempted murder would have required some kind of "big bike".

From "motorbike-infested Thailand" that tallies around 45 motorcyclist road kills/day, what does one expect?"

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, MaxYakov said:

Am probably nuts by now, but are you willing to go stand in front of (or anywhere near) a motorbike that has decided to use the sidewalk?

I did not justify the motorbike's using the sidewalk, but you edited my post and took that sentence out of context making seem I had. The next time you decide to edit someone's post in a reply it's a good idea to indicate that action in your reply or in the quoted portion.

Here's my entire post unedited:

"The pedestrian should have gotten out of the way of the motorbike. Instead, he just stood there apparently willing to get hit. I'm not justifying the motorcyclists action - it was definitely assault. Attempted murder would have required some kind of "big bike".

From "motorbike-infested Thailand" that tallies around 45 motorcyclist road kills/day, what does one expect?"

"I did not justify the motorbike's using the sidewalk, but you edited my post and took that sentence out of context making seem I had. The next time you decide to edit someone's post in a reply it's a good idea to indicate that action in your reply or in the quoted portion."

Agree entirely with this part of your post.

djayz deliberately only quoted part of your post, which meant the part of your post he quoted was taken out of context.

Personally, I'd report the poster for so deliberately changing the context of your post.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1