Holding the balance: Phuket Immigration clarifies new rules on retirement visas to start March 1

49 minutes ago, Hellsten said:

I probably need to move out from this madhouse soon  If the bath go more stronger I'm out, don't have the money to stay and I'm married and have lived her for soon 15 years, this IS my Home! I have no place to go! ????

The paper from the embassy show the income Before Tax

the Bank after Tax there is a big difference.

You live here very long time you married a Thai and take care the family

But you have NO RIGHT what so ever and they still make it even more difficult

for us to stay here I probably spend 8-900000 a year here the most time but now when I get older the money is not to great now, and the Bath is too damn strong

I lose about 30000thb/month compare from the first time I come her

Not to nice of you Thailand!

Yeah it is the wives and kids who will suffer the most from these xenophobic policies.  I predict mass overstays. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

37 minutes ago, smedly said:

for first applications only

renewal is three months before, this question has already been answered

You need to check with Ubonjoe. Last he published said 2 before and 3 after for renewals. Not 3 before.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BertM said:

You need to check with Ubonjoe. Last he published said 2 before and 3 after for renewals. Not 3 before.

The way I read the rules it is 2 before and 3 after. But apparently some offices are reading it a different way.

image.png.86bde972a396f40b5bd2984e071b5d4b.png

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, smedly said:

I did open the link - so my previous rules regarding 800k are not grandfathered only those from before the 800k was introduced

So 1998 was the old grandfathering cut off date.....21 years ago......And I think you had to be 55 then.....So 55+21= 76..... 76 or 77 would be about youngest guys to qualify if you had lived here continuously.... 

Edited by fforest1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, keith101 said:

Or just take a trip to Savanakhet where financials are not a requirement .

And, if too many people do that as a way of getting around the new rules, that option is likely to be closed, or at least severely curtailed, meaning it will cause problems for those who genuinely need to use Savannakhet as a one-off instead of having to go back to their home country.

31 minutes ago, worrab said:

Technically nothing has changed for you. As long as you have 800k in the bank all year then there is no problem with worrying about dropping below the 400k mark. Life carries on.  

wrong, I generally top up once a year from the UK 3 months before my extension renewal, now I will need an extra 3 months - about 4k sterling, 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, xylophone said:

As many embassies no longer issue affidavits confirming income, this is no longer required

Not required....how to interpret that statement for they who still can get issued affidavit / income letter.....?

1 hour ago, nasa123 said:

No one need Embassy/Consulate letter no more in Phuket, that what Phuket Immigration says.

If u are from Norway or Sweden they also have to show bank account even though have have a pension letter (State pensjon). What going to happen is that these consulates will be closed down.

The report in Phuket News not says that......it says not required, and as far I know that do not mean it not can be used?

21 minutes ago, BertM said:

I asked this question many times and there was clarification from an IO (I think Jomtien) that for renewals it would be 3+3 = 6 months

I know the order reads 2 months before - I get that, but it seems some IO's don't

I have asked if the new orders still include the renewal part of the order at 3 months 

It is not surprising that this again has created confusion because the IO's around various cities can't seem to agree on what is written in the order even though it is in plain sight

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, overherebc said:
43 minutes ago, Thailand said:

Anything different in this "news" compared to what we have many times already?

I all honesty not that I can see

for the income method, confirmation that proof of income can be from various sources, not just pensions as originally stated.

As many embassies no longer issue affidavits confirming income, this is no longer required, he said, noting that letters from governments and pension fund providers will be accepted along with other forms of evidence to prove the income pending.

1 minute ago, Thailand said:
10 minutes ago, sumrit said:

for the income method, confirmation that proof of income can be from various sources, not just pensions as originally stated.

Is it in the police order or just another interpretation?

It's in the statement from Phuket Immigration Deputy Chief Lt Col Archeep Jaroensuntisuk here:

https://www.thephuketnews.com/holding-the-balance- phuket-immigration-clarifies-new-rules-on-retirement-visas-to-start-march-1-70401.php#P21je7zJjFqp2Q9G.97

I'm assuming that if you renew or even get a new extension on or before 28th February 2019 you will get another whole year on the existing rules. though of course this has yet to be clarified, along with additional reporting requirements, if any.

Could be a busy couple of weeks at the Immigration Offices if this is the case!

What this mean in red under ?

VISA OPTIONS

The Jan 18 order, issued by Immigration Bureau Deputy Commissioner Maj Gen Sarayut Sangonpokai, also made special mention that the new provisions specifically do not apply to:

- People who have Thai families

- People supporting Thai families

Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/holding-the-balance- phuket-immigration-clarifies-new-rules-on-retirement-visas-to-start-march-1-70401.php#3qIA2Jxk1BUoMiz0.99

4 minutes ago, mercman24 said:

why do you say 2 months befor, it is 3 moinths before so 6 months in total as i have done for the last 5 years

“Under the new rules, the B800,000 must be in the account at least two months before applying for the visa (permit to stay) and must remained in the account for at least three months after the visa has been issued,” Col Acheep said.
Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/holding-the-balance- phuket-immigration-clarifies-new-rules-on-retirement-visas-to-start-march-1-70401.php#3qIA2Jxk1BUoMiz0.99

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Sheryl said:

Surely that "Oct 21, 2008" part e grandfather clause is a typo and they mean 1998?

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

That is correct it should of been October 21,1998.

From police order 35/2562.

image.png.efc49838025e7b6dafbcc7e173c58e52.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, mercman24 said:

why do you say 2 months befor, it is 3 moinths before so 6 months in total as i have done for the last 5 years

There is considerable doubt as to whether the "2months before and 3 months after" phrasing in the directive actually meant  2 months before extension and 3 months after the extension, or 2 months before the 1st extension then 3 months before all extensions after that (i.e. exactly what it has been before).  @Tanoshi thinks the latter  and I tend to agree with him but due to vague wording it has been otherwise interpreted by many IOs

Supposedly a meeting scheduled at TI next week to clarify matters,

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, stephenterry said:

800K two months before and 3 months after = 5 months. The point of it is to (maybe) identify those who pay agents for the loan and at a cost. I understand that borrrowing money is not a crime, but the interest cost of holding it a further 3 months (=c.10k extra at c.5%) will adversely affect some who do not have the necessary funds.

But that does seem unfair and heavy-handed. From the article, you could still use the combination method, if that's a better option and probably that flexibility will become the most favoured.

For example, 400k stuck in a Thai bank account for one year, earning interest of 8k, plus income of 33k per month sent to a Thai bank account. 

i would be ok with that, except for the part where

i have to transfer every month,

heres hoping the embassy letter of pension replaces

proof of transfer every month.

if not, i'm outa here