Why, after 9 months, Retired in Thailand, I left and am back in the USA?

CaptainJack

2 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

You are fortunate in that you have a decent place to return to by all accounts. Where I grew up in the UK has descended to near ghetto status. I would need to research alternatives likely beyond my means.... but I see that same ogre on the horizon.

Sorry.  I have read  lot about the problems in the UK. I'm afraid my home country may be soon to follow.  Yes, research alternatives.  Good luck!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, steven2018 said:

Retiring or living in and out of Mexico for a U.S. citizen might be a better option for a retiree on Medicare -- a few hours flight back to the U.S. beats a 22-hour flight in time and cost.

Mexico, Panama and Costa Rica are on my list to research.  Thanks! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:

If you'd retired here 9 weeks ago, this comment might be true. But no amount of research you could have done 9 months ago would have suggested the recent changes were on the cards. 

Yep, I know.  I give myself a break on that.  The medical and just my own tolerance for the process to live long term in Thailand, I own that.  Thanks....

Just now, Damrongsak said:

I'm still in Virginia in the USA.  Wifey has been back in Thailand for about 2.5 years as the advanced party.  She's coming back for about 6 months for good pizza and steak and we'll see where that leads.  I still have a 90 year old Mother and a brother who need looking after here.  Contact me if you need to bellyache.  Misery loves company, as they say.

LOL.  You made me laugh.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, CaptainJack said:

I will reply with only this.  The country benefited from the apartment I rented and the 20,000 USD I spent while living in Bangkok. I don't see Thailand suffered from my living there.  Anyway, your comment was not rude or aggressive, so I replied.  Best to you.

I didn´t mean that Thailand suffered when living here, but my meaning was that Thailand misses out and suffer when a retiree leaves...

glegolo

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

You can go around and around on these threads.

My wife is Thai we met and for 12 years lived in Singapore. Wise women, told me I'd tire of the place within 10 years, got it wrong by 11 months

We moved back to the US, nearly 2 years ago now, but we still do the snowbird thing to our house in Khon Kaen.

That dual location thing seems to be an increasing option for many retirees. 

I've said this before in many threads, but over the past 10 years the cost advantage of being in Thailand pretty much evaporated for me at least.

Now we have a holiday home which is perfect

Sounds like you got a good plan.  Good job!

what good does having 'empathy' with those who cannot afford to stay here do for anyone? Sounds like another one who did not know what he was letting himself in for, Thailand was never 'paradise' and when the rose tinted glasses fall off and the financial necessities become apparent it can be better back home.

• Like 1