Why, after 9 months, Retired in Thailand, I left and am back in the USA?

CaptainJack

41 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

What's with the glee at people leaving their home? Whether someone bent the rules or not makes no frigging difference to your life. 

Because of them I now no longer can get an embassy letter . Meanwhile they are moving on to their next scam 

so yeah mate it does make a <deleted> difference. Its people like you who think its ok to lie to immigration that started this whole mess

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, madmen said:

Because of them I now no longer can get an embassy letter . Meanwhile they are moving on to their next scam 

so yeah mate it does make a <deleted> difference. Its people like you who think its ok to lie to immigration that started this whole mess

" Those losers never had the 800k to start with !"

"Because of them I now no longer can get an embassy letter ."

So first you're gloating and mocking others and stating they don't have 800k to deposit.

Then you're crying in every post you make because now you can't get an embassy letter and will have to deposit 800k which is obviously a very upsetting problem for you.

I know, I know - you have plenty and could purchase a small country if you felt like it - but in order to deposit 800k BHT you would either have to sell the yacht, or give up the seats on the space shuttle you reserved for yourself and friends,  or sell the mansion in Monte Carlo...

Dry your tears and give it a rest.

Thanks CaptainJack for this well-reasoned and clear post. After 11 years working in Malaysia, with some consideration given to retiring in Thailand, my spouse and I too have decided that there are simply too many hurdles to get over. We have a nice home in Arizona where we will retire; Thailand will be a pleasant yearly getaway for us going forward, allowing us the best of two worlds.

2 minutes ago, ChristianBlessing said:

Thanks CaptainJack for this well-reasoned and clear post. After 11 years working in Malaysia, with some consideration given to retiring in Thailand, my spouse and I too have decided that there are simply too many hurdles to get over. We have a nice home in Arizona where we will retire; Thailand will be a pleasant yearly getaway for us going forward, allowing us the best of two worlds.

What hurdles?  Get O-A visa good for 2 years.  No money shown.  No hurdles.  Maybe lack of knowledge is your only hurdle. 

Just now, marcusarelus said:

What hurdles?  Get O-A visa good for 2 years.  No money shown.  No hurdles.  Maybe lack of knowledge is your only hurdle. 

That didn't take long. "...lack of knowledge..." about my circumstances yet quick to judgement would appear to be quite a hurdle for you.

Empathy? a skill I'm glad I have never learned. Living with paranoia about what might or might not happen, looking both ways before setting foot outside fearing arrest or deportation???????????? A veteran too. Sounds like you've made the right decision to go back home to your safe space.

1 minute ago, ChristianBlessing said:

Nice try.

You are complaining but to no avail.  This is a thread to help people as I see it.  If you don't want to discuss why you can't retire to Thailand why even post? 

Many things I can't do but I don't just randomly complain about them with no hope of learning how to overcome obstacles. 

4 minutes ago, watso63 said:

Empathy? a skill I'm glad I have never learned. Living with paranoia about what might or might not happen, looking both ways before setting foot outside fearing arrest or deportation???????????? A veteran too. Sounds like you've made the right decision to go back home to your safe space.

The way I read it was Jack has an eye problem that he can't fund repair if it occurs here.  So he can't stay.  Maybe I'm wrong. 

20 hours ago, CaptainJack said:

Just want to say thanks for those that took the time to write some supportive comments.   For those that felt the need and the satisfaction in kicking and criticizing me, I hope your life goes well, you are happy and your days are filled with joy.

I'll say bye, bye now.

Namaste....

Good post - but only relavent to those with medical coverage in the USA and/or VA health benefits (only provided by taxpayers to veterans in the USA and Canada) .  Glad you have so many options.  Maybe in a few years I would consider another country but for now Thailand has what I need at a price I can afford. 

20 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

The way I read it was Jack has an eye problem that he can't fund repair if it occurs here.  So he can't stay.  Maybe I'm wrong. 

Yes. I had two, very successful vitrectomy's and my doctor successfully sealed the busted capillaries in my retina. I see fine now, but without really good insurance,  if I started having problems again, I'd be blind before I could get back to the USA from Thailand.  It all added up to go home.  I am looking at Panama.  The flight would be a bit expensive on short notice,  but I can be back in Austin,  with one stop in a little over six hours.  Options and planning are essential.   I've learned a lot from this experience.   Thanks for your comment. 

Not yet 50......decided against Thailand for retirement.  easy to make Thai acquaintances, but not the same as friends back home.  you need to be super fluent in a language to make a strong friend, i think.  have a companion is easy, but that gets a little boring after a while.  pollution.  if you don't need to breathe bad air, why do you allow it?  visa hurdles.  there is always something.  it's also hard to rely on people, farangs or natives.  most farangs like the sex tourism, and who wants to retire with that group?  to avoid it all, go rural?  lol.  that's a worse solution.  

On 2/17/2019 at 5:46 AM, Nyezhov said:

I'm going back to America too. Like I planned.

Never cut ties. Be back in Nov.

Soooo true and I am glad that I retained a UK property .  However I can understand the folk who decided to sell up their home / assets  and commit there retirement years in Thailand , especially if say 10 or more years ago . If from the UK the only way out is for them to get on a flight back to the UK and place themselves at the mercy of social services . 

I reckon there should be a health warning for perspective retirees to Thailand .  No safety net here ,  goal posts can be moved at any time and I fear that mandatory health insurance for all visitors and long stayers is on the horizon and will be part of the visa application .

CaptainJack:

Before you sign off, I was hoping you could answer a question I've been curious about. When you moved to Thailand did you liquidate all your personal property which you didn't ship here, or did you put stuff in storage/leave with friends, hedging against the possibility that you might move back home if things didn't work out the way you planned?

20 hours ago, geisha said:

Good luck to you, I think you made the right decision. I always thought I’d retire here, after coming here every winter nearly for 30+ years. But Thailand has changed, and the people too. The once beautiful beaches and country side is fast slipping away. The pollution is only going to get worse, and the food is becoming more and more unhealthy daily. Those are my reasons. One more, the ever depreciation of the euro is making Thailand much more expensive to live. I find that a bit much for the lack of quality concerning infrastructure , building quality , ( I think my newish rented condo will fall down bit by bit in the next 5 years) and hospitals that do not, in my opinion, hit the mark for the price they cost. Also,  cherry on the cake,  is the very complicated visa process. 

So where you come from is utopia?

36 minutes ago, CaptainJack said:

Yes. I had two, very successful vitrectomy's and my doctor successfully sealed the busted capillaries in my retina. I see fine now, but without really good insurance,  if I started having problems again, I'd be blind before I could get back to the USA from Thailand.  It all added up to go home.  I am looking at Panama.  The flight would be a bit expensive on short notice,  but I can be back in Austin,  with one stop in a little over six hours.  Options and planning are essential.   I've learned a lot from this experience.   Thanks for your comment. 

So you now say your situation revolves around your eye problems  / potential eye problems, but your initial post goes on forever about a dozen or more subjects.

I wish the mods would close this thread.

1 hour ago, marcusarelus said:

You are complaining but to no avail.  This is a thread to help people as I see it.  If you don't want to discuss why you can't retire to Thailand why even post? 

Many things I can't do but I don't just randomly complain about them with no hope of learning how to overcome obstacles. 

I have complained of nothing at all, randomly or otherwise. The OP's post makes clear the potential difficulties for those wishing to retire in Thailand. I commended him for his clarity, and stated that as a fellow American I made a decision based on many of the same issues he described. I really don't feel the need to elaborate further.

9 minutes ago, ChristianBlessing said:

I have complained of nothing at all, randomly or otherwise. The OP's post makes clear the potential difficulties for those wishing to retire in Thailand. I commended him for his clarity, and stated that as a fellow American I made a decision based on many of the same issues he described. I really don't feel the need to elaborate further.

-

1 hour ago, puukao said:

Not yet 50......decided against Thailand for retirement.  easy to make Thai acquaintances, but not the same as friends back home.  you need to be super fluent in a language to make a strong friend, i think.  have a companion is easy, but that gets a little boring after a while.  pollution.  if you don't need to breathe bad air, why do you allow it?  visa hurdles.  there is always something.  it's also hard to rely on people, farangs or natives.  most farangs like the sex tourism, and who wants to retire with that group?  to avoid it all, go rural?  lol.  that's a worse solution.  

To retire anywhere you need friends. This is the mistake many , many retirees make. Move to a nice place but with no friends. Eventually.....

If planning retirement properly one needs to visit the chosen place on vacation for some years before retiring that way you meet people and get a fell for the place before taking the plunge.

Never underestimate the need for friends.

The sex tourism stuff most expats here just ignore or forget.

37 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

To retire anywhere you need friends. This is the mistake many , many retirees make. Move to a nice place but with no friends. Eventually.....

If planning retirement properly one needs to visit the chosen place on vacation for some years before retiring that way you meet people and get a fell for the place before taking the plunge.

Never underestimate the need for friends.

The sex tourism stuff most expats here just ignore or forget.

Friends should definitely be taken into consideration but it is another of those very personal and varied factors.  Everyone has different needs which they need to take into consideration.  One must also remember that Thailand relationships tend to be very transient in my experience.  I learned to deal with that long ago but I have known many people who struggled with the fact people come and go.  If you are the type who had lifelong friendships from childhood and expect that same kind of friendship in Thailand, you are likely to be very disappointed.

On 2/16/2019 at 1:42 PM, Puchaiyank said:

Retires in Thailand do not know their future...immigration and healthcare prospects could get better once the visa monetary requirements start filling Thai government coffers.  Uncertainty is the monster lurking in the background.

I am interested in learning how the visa monetary requirements fill the government coffers. Please explain. Thanks.

13 hours ago, madmen said:

erm no. 6% leaving for sure . 76% staying for sure and the balance undecided

your in lala land why would half of all expats leave behind their partners, families , investments all because they need to season 800k for another 2 months and then season  a measly 400k for another 7 months. They already have the money lol

lets get real those that fiddled the system and there were many telling porkies got caught with their pants down and now of course its Thailand fault. Those losers never had the 800k to start with ! they had there fun in the sun and party is over , time to go home

I never said half of all expats would "leave their partners , families, and investments behind."  Most of those leaving of course are those you call "losers."  Not having 800,000 baht to deposit in a Thai bank, is not a sign of a loser.  The many who do have 800,000 baht to deposit in a Thai bank but will not do so are called intelligent expats.  

A large percentage of western expats didn't buy condos nor did they get married so moving on isn't a problem.  Some of the expats who did get married are taking their wives with them, like to the US for instance.  The bottom line is it is a high percentage leaving and more are in the process of planning to make the move.  When immigration tallies up the number of expats living in Thailand at the end of the year, we will know the actual percentage of those who left.

No worries though, immigration will get to you too.  It is just a matter of time. ???? 

6 hours ago, ChristianBlessing said:

You wrote, "my spouse and I too have decided that there are simply too many hurdles to get over."  That is complaining.  

On 2/17/2019 at 5:15 AM, lamyai3 said:

The system is likely to become clearer in the coming months, including for acceptable proofs of income (in which aspect you'd currently qualify, so the 800k route is unnecessary). 

Medical insurance is currently not a requirement - like you say if this changes many older people will be forced to leave.

Too many unknowns. The only thing one can guarantee is that it will get more expensive, whilst the medical insurance requirement is unworkable as many would not qualify anyway. Which leaves me with having an alternative back up country to go to.... but which one? Da Phils or Cambodia or Bali? Comments on these countries and their Visa requirements invited.

5 minutes ago, DaRoadrunner said:

Too many unknowns. The only thing one can guarantee is that it will get more expensive, whilst the medical insurance requirement is unworkable as many would not qualify anyway. Which leaves me with having an alternative back up country to go to.... but which one? Da Phils or Cambodia or Bali? Comments on these countries and their Visa requirements invited.

Indonesia has a lower income requirement and more importantly a permanent residency option for retirees. I also believe they have a national health insurance system that retirees can participate in.

South America has a lot of good options. In Ecuador you can buy a house, have a business, and lots of perks.

The Philippines also offers lots of options. For me I have in-laws there that I get along well with, plus I can enter for a year with my ex (we're still married though) on balikbayan option.

There was talk of making it easier for Americans to retire in Ireland but that fell through, though I hope it will be revived. There are always options. 

15 hours ago, madmen said:

You are mocking people who can’t get a hold of 800,000 Baht and park it in a bank for a period of time? Losers you call them? So we can presume from your posts that you can do this easily? So those “losers” have merely saved you the bother of requesting a letter from your Embassy. My point stands ... it makes no difference to your life what other people do but you seem to get great pleasure out of seeing them leave their families. You don’t sound like a “winner” in the decent human being stakes to me.

Archived