Which Thai banks show incoming SWIFT transfers as coming from overseas?

33 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Ok then.

You have gathered together all your docs and presented them to Imm. You have done all you can and there is no wriggle room left. You believe that everything is in order.

But! The IO says "cannot". What is the next move? Is there a next move? 

You are being treated unfairly; who can you turn to? An appeal??

You can go home and get a new Retirement Visa and stay 2 years without issues...

On 2/19/2019 at 12:55 PM, indepth said:

Jolly good topic ol man, what about Siam Bank?

I do a swift transfer into a Siam Commercial Bank account each year and the only designation in the passbook is "X1".....which, according to their legends, means only a "Transfer Deposit, Withdrawal Nobook."  In other words, SCB's passbook does not show anything to indicate a foreign or swift transfer of funds. 

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

I'll have my bags packed, ready and waiting.

After arriving in England, i'll not have a lot of dosh left each month after I've sent most of it to Thailand (through TW) to support my Thai family.

The thought of living in a East London doorway, during the winter, does not really appeal to me. But in the summer there are some nice places to doss down; parks and recreational grounds. Then there is Parslows Park in Dagenham where (have to be quick) you can jump the barrier and get to the bread before the ducks, and the undesirables, eat it.

Have to get up to speed on the soup kitchens too.

For those looking at a short-term way to survive, a fan-room in Phnom Penh suburbs within walking-distance to a local-market can work out to under 7K-Baht/mo, including food.  You will need a little rice-cooker with the steamer-piece on top, so you can cook your veggies and fish from the market. 

Add another $300 for a 1-year visa (ask for "ordinary" visa VOA for $5 more on-entry), though you can purchase those in 3 or 6 mo increments.  A pension-statement will work for proof you are retired; those w/o a pension can buy a work-permit for $300/yr more (also available in shorter, cheaper increments).

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

For those looking at a short-term way to survive, a fan-room in Phnom Penh suburbs within walking-distance to a local-market can work out to under 7K-Baht/mo, including food.  You will need a little rice-cooker with the steamer-piece on top, so you can cook your veggies and fish from the market. 

Add another $300 for a 1-year visa (ask for "ordinary" visa VOA for $5 more on-entry), though you can purchase those in 3 or 6 mo increments.  A pension-statement will work for proof you are retired; those w/o a pension can buy a work-permit for $300/yr more (also available in shorter, cheaper increments).

Thanks for that Jack.

I have been in Isaan for 11 years and I'm married with a lovely 9 year old daughter. At the present time I fall short of the monthly 40K baht mark. I do not have the 400K to put in the bank. We do however have a decent income, based on investments here in Thailand. This allows a comfortable living. 

If I could get back to the UK and get a visa to return for 2 years*; this would be considered. In the past i have obtained a 12 month multi-entry visa from London Thai Embassy.

I am thinking now that it is back to the 90 day visits to Laos. I have 2 passports filled up with visas and stamps so this will not be so new to me. Fortunately my visa runs to November. So I - like many others - are watching this space for developments.

utes ago, zaZa9 said:

You can go home and get a new Retirement Visa and stay 2 years without issues...

Edited by owl sees all

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You can get a multiple entry non-o visa based upon marriage in Savannakhet Laos with no financial proof.

do you still have to do border runs with a multiple entry none -o

or is it 90 day reports at your local Immigration. it has been awhile since

I last had one. cheers. 

Apparently all transfers from overseas come through Bangkok Bank. I have Krungsri. I transferred from USA by TransferWise. It showed as domestic. Krungsri gave me codes of the 2 transactions involved. I went to Bangkok Bank International Department on the 2nd floor of the main office on Silom Road. They find the transactions and gave me the letter for immigration saying they were from abroad, as required. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, owl sees all said:

Ok then.

You have gathered together all your docs and presented them to Imm. You have done all you can and there is no wriggle room left. You believe that everything is in order.

But! The IO says "cannot". What is the next move? Is there a next move? 

You are being treated unfairly; who can you turn to? An appeal??

Depends on the circumstances....

If it's a case of a particular Immigration office at large enforcing their own extra/special requirements that go beyond the supposed national rules, not much recourse there.

But if it's a case of a particular Immigration officer targeting you for unfair treatment for some reason, depending on the size of the office/number of IOs, you could try coming back on another day and hoping the luck of the draw would get you a different officer handling your paperwork.

• Like 2

On February 19, 2019 at 12:33 PM, yang123 said:

It seems that overseas SWIFT transfers to Bank of Bangkok are appropriately coded as FTT in savings books/bank accounts.

I think the reference you're thinking of has to do specifically twith Transferwise which sends all transfer to Bangkok Bank who then transfer locally if your account is in other banks. If you make a Swift transfer that goes directly to your Thai bank there shouldn't be a problem.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, zoza said:

do you still have to do border runs with a multiple entry none -o

or is it 90 day reports at your local Immigration. it has been awhile since

I last had one. cheers. 

Yes - border run at 90-days  - OR - extend at local-immigration for 60-more (to visit your Thai wife and/or children), and then do the border-run. 

If you re-enter just before the visa expires, and extend that last entry by 60-days, you can get almost 17 mo total from it.

1 minute ago, Suradit69 said:

I think the reference you're thinking of has to do specifically twith Transferwise which sends all transfer to Bangkok Bank who then transfer locally if your account is in other banks. If you make a Swift transfer that goes directly to your Thai bank there shouldn't be a problem.

TW doesn't always use BKB, so even with an account there, you may not get all your xfers marked as foreign-sourced.

Some Thai banks may not receive SWIFT directly.  Be sure the instructions for your bank do not include an "intermediate bank."  I believe SWIFT to BKB are always direct and shown as foreign-xfers.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

TW doesn't always use BKB, so even with an account there, you may not get all your xfers marked as foreign-sourced.

Some Thai banks may not receive SWIFT directly.  Be sure the instructions for your bank do not include an "intermediate bank."  I believe SWIFT to BKB are always direct and shown as foreign-xfers.

OK. I don't use Transferwise so I'm basing my comments only on posts I've read on TV.

My Swift transfers go initially via Bangkok Bank NY ( I do mean Swift transfers, not the old ACH method) as correspondent bank used by my US broker and always show up here with the FTT notation.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
7 minutes ago, skatewash said:
Search the source for 1.30.  It's the Mee Tae Dai (MTD) savings account.

Yes i searched and it came up with 0.3%. You got anything current showing 1.3%?

Near the bottom of page 2.

I think it may be called Mee Tae Dai ("Have But Can," in English) because it has a relatively high interest rate (like a fixed deposit) but unlike a fixed deposit you can still withdraw money from the account without losing interest already earned and you can get the interest without having 15% automatically withheld for taxes.  Anyway, that helps me to remember the name. ????

I think it may be called Mee Tae Dai ("Have But Can," in English) because it has a relatively high interest rate (like a fixed deposit) but unlike a fixed deposit you can still withdraw money from the account without losing interest already earned and you can get the interest without having 15% automatically withheld for taxes.  Anyway, that helps me to remember the name. [emoji6]
How do you get the interest without the 15% tax deducted?

The MTD account is not a traditional fixed account so the 15% withholding tax is not applied on any amount of interest earned. Instead it's only applied when earning more than Bt20K interest per year.
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Pib said:
5 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

The MTD account is not a traditional fixed account so the 15% withholding tax is not applied on any amount of interest earned. Instead it's only applied when earning more than Bt20K interest per year.

Automatically? At 1.3% that would only require  1.5mil   on deposit.

11 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
19 minutes ago, skatewash said:
I think it may be called Mee Tae Dai ("Have But Can," in English) because it has a relatively high interest rate (like a fixed deposit) but unlike a fixed deposit you can still withdraw money from the account without losing interest already earned and you can get the interest without having 15% automatically withheld for taxes.  Anyway, that helps me to remember the name. emoji6.png

Not earn more than 20,000 in interest at Krungsri Bank. ????  Fixed deposits require 15% withholding from the 1st baht earned, but savings accounts (e.g., MTD) don't.  However, if you exceed 20,000 in interest from a bank they will retroactively withhold 15%, which can be reclaimed by filing a Thai Personal Income Tax Return.

Edited by skatewash

14 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Automatically? At 1.3% that would only require  1.5mil   on deposit.

Yes, keep it below 1,538,462 to avoid the automatic withholding being triggered by earning interest over 20,000.

We were talking about this in the context of having an account for a retirement extension which only requires 800,000, though.

31 minutes ago, skatewash said:

We were talking about this in the context of having an account for a retirement extension which only requires 800,000, though.

Yes but at 1.3% it is competitive and could be a place to deposit more if one had it. Seems sensible to spread it around though.

• Like 1