Ripped off silom road for having beer In taxi

stevymac

3 minutes ago, robblok said:

You mean boring old codgers can't be alcoholics ? Come on having to drink beer in a taxi that is desperate. 44 here not that old yet.

It’s not desperate at all, unless it’s 9am !!!....  

What is is separate about enjoying a beer in a journey? I enjoyed a beer on a plane yesterday ! 

Its not about ‘needing that beer’ which would be a different topic, it’s about being able to sit in a traffic jam and simply enjoy a beer.... there’s nothing desperate about it - there’s no need to take this topic beyond intelligent balance, it’s just having a beer as a passenger in a car... 

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Open is illegal in vehicles (any person in the vehicle, no matter what vehicles), also illegal to walk around public places drinking alcohol.

During Songkran there are loads of people drinking alcohol in cars while waterfighting.

It's the law, so feel lucky only 2000 baht. As for the law coming into effect, I do believe Bluesofa is correct on why this affected everything and everyone. Mostly some little Thai bureaucrat worm chasing to have a brownie point. 

The harsh reality is this SOB picked/stalked her when she got onto the train with her sister and mom (I think), then waited until later night to jump into her sleeper to beat and rape the poor 15 yr old. The clincher he then through her out the window where she died some where near the tracks in the middle of no where. The booze probably had the lesser effect than the yaba did of his actions. But then again smoking yaba in the back of a taxi is illegal too!

2 minutes ago, robblok said:

It just should not apply to a taxi, I get why they apply it to cars. I see no safety aspect of it that makes it wrong. Just strange to drink in a taxi, just desperate. 

I mean drink at home, drink at a bar but a taxi.. that really sounds like dependance on alcohol. But safety wise nothing wrong with it and a stupid law (for taxi's)

I get your point...  but why is there a need to draw a line which makes having a beer in the car indicative of dependence?

In the bar, at home, watching TV, in the Movie theatre.... in a 30-40min car / taxi journey from home or a bar to a bar or restaunt... it just doesn’t feel abnormal.... supping from a bottle of whiskey or vodka would... 

Enjoying a beer is different from needing alcohol... 

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

It’s not desperate at all, unless it’s 9am !!!....  

What is is separate about enjoying a beer in a journey? I enjoyed a beer on a plane yesterday ! 

Its not about ‘needing that beer’ which would be a different topic, it’s about being able to sit in a traffic jam and simply enjoy a beer.... there’s nothing desperate about it - there’s no need to take this topic beyond intelligent balance, it’s just having a beer as a passenger in a car... 

You and I are totally different then, i see it as desperate and like a dependance. I would never ever drink in a taxi or be able to enjoy it. I don't enjoy beer that much anyway but just seems like something you drink in a bar or at home. Not in a taxi. 

Guess we got different values, it happens to me its desperate to you its not. To some people drinking before 9am is not desperate either. We all see things different, its just how i see it sorry.

But as i said i find it a stupid rule for taxi's as I see no logic why it should not be allowed. 

Just now, richard_smith237 said:

I get your point...  but why is there a need to draw a line which makes having a beer in the car indicative of dependence?

In the bar, at home, watching TV, in the Movie theatre.... in a 30-40min car / taxi journey from home or a bar to a bar or restaunt... it just doesn’t feel abnormal.... supping from a bottle of whiskey or vodka would... 

Enjoying a beer is different from needing alcohol... 

Maybe because i would never do it myself, don't know people who drink in taxi's and so on. These things just feel strange to me. I guess it depends where you are raised and what you came in contact with. This is something totally alien to me. 

You and I are totally different then, i see it as desperate and like a dependance. I would never ever drink in a taxi or be able to enjoy it. I don't enjoy beer that much anyway but just seems like something you drink in a bar or at home. Not in a taxi. 

Guess we got different values, it happens to me its desperate to you its not. To some people drinking before 9am is not desperate either. We all see things different, its just how i see it sorry.

But as i said i find it a stupid rule for taxi's as I see no logic why it should not be allowed. 

Robblok Trying to be all high and mighty because I chose to have a beer in a journey while I travelled the 30mins to the next bar. Nobody was harmed, so how is that desperate? All it did was make the journey more pleasant. R u on steroids by the way?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 minute ago, stevymac said:

Robblok keep your opinions to yourself. Trying to be all high and mighty because I chose to have a beer in a journey while I travelled the 30mins to the next bar. Nobody was harmed, so how is that desperate? All it did was make the journey more pleasant. R u on steroids by the way?

Why should i keep my opinion to myself you put it up on an open forum. That is the price to pay to put things on an open forum.

You are 100% right nobody was harmed and maybe if you stopped feeling attacked by me you would have noticed that I agree 100% with you that its a stupid rule. (to not be allowed to drink in a taxi).

For me its totally alien to drink in a taxi, i was always taught you drink with friends or you drink at home. Drinking in a taxi was big no no. So for ME it looks desperate because of how i was brought up and what I came in contact with. You are probably English, I am Dutch we don't have the same idea's about what is normal and what is not. Even among Dutch you might find people who think its perfectly normal. Just not me, and I am in no way attacking you. I am just telling you how it looks to ME.

As for me being on steroids no I am not, at least not in the way you think. Just accept that the world is a big place where not everyone shares your opinion. Again, i don't think you did anything wrong, i just find it strange / alien to drink in a taxi. I am sure I do a few things that you find strange. 

Please don't start a sentence with 'so'- it's very Millenial.

From your style of writing I take it you are from the US. I seem to recollect that there is an 'open container' law there so (note the correct placement of the word in a sentence!) why should you behave any differently here. You broke the law, even though YOU feel you were singled out.

Incorrect grandad I’m from the Uk. Obviously your another boring old codger who has never done anything as criminal as sipping a nice cold beverage in a car.

4 minutes ago, robblok said:

Why should i keep my opinion to myself you put it up on an open forum. That is the price to pay to put things on an open forum.

You are 100% right nobody was harmed and maybe if you stopped feeling attacked by me you would have noticed that I agree 100% with you that its a stupid rule. (to not be allowed to drink in a taxi).

For me its totally alien to drink in a taxi, i was always taught you drink with friends or you drink at home. Drinking in a taxi was big no no. So for ME it looks desperate because of how i was brought up and what I came in contact with. You are probably English, I am Dutch we don't have the same idea's about what is normal and what is not. Even among Dutch you might find people who think its perfectly normal. Just not me, and I am in no way attacking you. I am just telling you how it looks to ME.

As for me being on steroids no I am not, at least not in the way you think. Just accept that the world is a big place where not everyone shares your opinion. Again, i don't think you did anything wrong, i just find it strange / alien to drink in a taxi. I am sure I do a few things that you find strange. 

He was drinking with his friend - he was in the taxi too.

So do you drink on planes or do you look down on all the people enjoying a drink on their flight?

What I find strange is when people look down on other people for doing something as harmless as having a beer in a back of a taxi. My apologies for committing the crime of the century. I shall never do it again and I feel I should of been fined the maximum penalty, served my 6 months in prison then blacklisted for eternity. That would probably make a few people on here very happy.

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

That’s not what he said...  he implied that it may be boring old codgers who consider enjoying a beer whilst stuck in a Bangkok traffic jam as not being acceptable...  he didn’t write that it was exciting !!!

Lets face it, with any degree of intelligent balance, where is the harm to anyone in benign able to enjoy a beer as a passenger ????? 

And who really thinks it’s wrong? 

... only boring numpties (well, and of course whoever agreed this daft regulation, which, I also think exists in the USA).

If you can't go 30 minutes without sucking on a beer in a taxi it might be time to join AA.

1 minute ago, dreaming said:

So do you drink on planes or do you look down on all the people enjoying a drink on their flight?

Drinking on a plane is understandable as your usually in a plane for quite some time. That is in general not what is happening in a taxi. I think your stupid to compare the two as most people would find it normal to drink in a plane. 

I do look down on people who drink on planes the moment they start to annoy other passengers. Otherwise not why would I.

Looking down is a bit strong word actually, its just alien to me something one just does not do. I would not lose any sleep over people drinking in a taxi. To me its just not done but it does not harm me in any way so I don't care about it. 

3 minutes ago, stevymac said:

My apologies for committing the crime of the century.

if there was a crime it was being lured into self pity and expecting anyone on here to empathise that you broke the law. That being said the taxi driver should have told you but instead he probably was in on the deal.

3 minutes ago, stevymac said:

What I find strange is when people look down on other people for doing something as harmless as having a beer in a back of a taxi. My apologies for committing the crime of the century. I shall never do it again and I feel I should of been fined the maximum penalty, served my 6 months in prison then blacklisted for eternity. That would probably make a few people on here very happy.

I am not looking down on you, its just something that is not done where I come from. Its shows desperation. So I would not do it. I really don't care that you did it. Just telling you how it looks to me. Maybe you should open up a bit more that people can have different opinions on things depending where they are brought up.

It certainly is not the crime of a century, I actually think you should not have been fined at all. I think its a stupid rule. However that does not change how I see it. But I certainly don't condemn you for it or think any less of you. Different places different morals and rules. This does not harm me so why would i care. 

10 minutes ago, dreaming said:

He’s stated quite clearly that he’s not looking down upon or judging anyone, he’s just stating his opinion on a public forum that it’s strange for him to drink in a taxi & it implies a degree of dependency on alcohol. I disagree, but would consider drinking in a taxi or anywhere at 9am as somewhat dependent on alcohol (in the example I used). 

This subject just highlights how different we all are - there is no wrong & right here... no one gets hurt & I think everyone agrees that the regulation is daft...

This is the law in many countries and has been the case for many years, no open cans/bottles/containers of alcohol in a motor vehicle.

Surprised the police officer would risk his job, career and livelihood to break the law to bargain and accept a bribe from the passenger.

Yep m8 , not a complete alcoholic I was with a mate. Luckily for my m8 he finished his beer before we got in. Annoying thing was didn’t even realize how little beer was In the bottle . If I’d known would of three it away before I got in. Most expensive small beer Leo I’ve had in my life 2049 baht altogether including fine of course

16 minutes ago, giddyup said:

If you can't go 30 minutes without sucking on a beer in a taxi it might be time to join AA.

If you can’t read without jumping to such wild conclusions I suggest school !!! 

No one has written that they can’t go without. This is not an issue related to alcoholism, it’s an issue related to the law and also of relaxing and enjoying a journey with a cold one. 

Personally, I took a 7 hr flight yesterday & didn’t drink because I didn’t want a beer or wine etc... 

Today may have been a different story and I may have wished to enjoy a beer with my meal or while watching the inflight movie... 

And the same goes for passenger transport on the road... it’s not ‘desperately sucking on a beer’ as some are implying with imbalanced bias, it’s simply ‘enjoying a beer while in a taxi’.... if you see alcoholism in that that’s your bias and not a balanced opinion. 

29 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

He’s stated quite clearly that he’s not looking down upon or judging anyone, he’s just stating his opinion on a public forum that it’s strange for him to drink in a taxi & it implies a degree of dependency on alcohol. I disagree, but would consider drinking in a taxi or anywhere at 9am as somewhat dependent on alcohol (in the example I used). 

This subject just highlights how different we all are - there is no wrong & right here... no one gets hurt & I think everyone agrees that the regulation is daft...

Just how I was brought up and no i really don't look down on people for this. It has nothing to do with me at all. It is just something I would not consider doing because where i come from it would have been viewed in the way i describe. Obviously its viewed different in the UK and in Russia they will think even different about alcohol. We are all just different and as long as it does not impact me I could not care less. 

I understand the law, but I think it should not be applied to passengers of taxi's. There is absolutely no gain from this safety wise. Its a stupid law and its bad that the OP had to suffer for it. That said its the law so technically the cop was right. I think it was just a bonus for him and bad luck for the OP. 

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Yep, ok, its the Ops hard luck. But have you never done this? 

Is the fine not extremely extortionate and out of proportion with penalties for other things? 

The BiB asked for 5000baht... Heck, they commonly get paid off similar amounts by guys who are so drunk they can hardly walk when they are driving. I’m not saying any of this is right - the law is the law...

......in this case to quote Dickens [Olive Twist’s Mr Bumble] ‘the law is an ass’..

Silom Rd

4 hours ago, bluesofa said:

From the way I read it, this particular law concerns 'vehicles'.

For a couple of years now the State Railway of Thailand has banned the sale of alcohol after a girl was raped and murdered on a train, by an SRT employee who was high on drugs and had also drunk some beer on the train.

I found it sad that everyone had to suffered because of one stupid person.

I also got the impression later that not only was the sale of alcohol banned on trains, but also the consumption.

Can someone confirm this, as for a couple of decades I used to enjoy a few beers on the overnight trains here.

Am I committing an offence by bringing and consuming my own beer in my compartment on the train, and what might the penalty be?

I have recently seen signs in the rail car stating no drinking.  

5 hours ago, bluesofa said:

From the way I read it, this particular law concerns 'vehicles'.

For a couple of years now the State Railway of Thailand has banned the sale of alcohol after a girl was raped and murdered on a train, by an SRT employee who was high on drugs and had also drunk some beer on the train.

I found it sad that everyone had to suffered because of one stupid person.

I also got the impression later that not only was the sale of alcohol banned on trains, but also the consumption.

Can someone confirm this, as for a couple of decades I used to enjoy a few beers on the overnight trains here.

Am I committing an offence by bringing and consuming my own beer in my compartment on the train, and what might the penalty be?

Hi

Pls. do not take the following as 100 % but I vaguely recall a friend of mine on a long train journey, who had not taken any beer on board but a nearby passenger had so. It was noticed and the beers were confiscated. No penalty.

I was not on the train myself, we were merely chatting about the journey when he returned.

In California the

“Open container” ticket is up to $250. or  approximately 7750baht.

I guess it depends on where you're from when something like this is considered a ripoff or a surprise.

One thing I hate to say here is that they may have pulled you over with the help of a third party..... but I'll let you figure that out for yourself.

Archived