Ripped off silom road for having beer In taxi

stevymac

So in taxi coming down silom road fri night around 10pm. Taxi gets stopped shines flashlight and sees me with a beer. Long story short me an m8 get out car. He has laminated piece of paper saying 10k fine and or 6 months in prison. I said 500 baht he said no . Then he said 5,000 and managed to pay 2000. Looking back should I of called his bluff and went to station? Any experience of this?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow... what a complete and utter shakedown.... 

The amount of times I’ve done this completely unaware of the risks...  I do it almost on a weekly basis when the wife is driving out to a restaurant.

I never knew there was such an extreme penalty for something so harmless, its completely out of balance with penalties for other ‘crimes’ such as the Taxi driver driving drunks or ripping off his passenger.

IMO this Cop knew what he was doing and looking for a foreigner to extort... (yes, I know extort is the wrong word because there is a law against carrying beer in a vehicle, but it would seem apparent that this Cop has found a ‘niche’ money maker and is exploiting it to its full potential - industrious fellow that he is).... 

2 minutes ago, poohy said:

Hard luck pal , No beer in taxis ( it is a  law) i had staff member fined for just the same thing  years ago

Yep, ok, its the Ops hard luck. But have you never done this? 

Is the fine not extremely extortionate and out of proportion with penalties for other things? 

The BiB asked for 5000baht... Heck, they commonly get paid off similar amounts by guys who are so drunk they can hardly walk when they are driving. I’m not saying any of this is right - the law is the law...

......in this case to quote Dickens [Olive Twist’s Mr Bumble] ‘the law is an ass’..

Sounds like I dodged a bullet then. Pardon the pun as they all had a gun on them as well. Weird thing is my mate that I was with said let’s just go police station then when he said 5000 baht and looked like he wasn’t going to budge on price and I said to cop 2k or that’s it and he quickly took it and put it under his book so maybe the cop didn’t wanna go station either. Was probably just happy to make the easiest 2k of his life. The fine and punishment like a few guys said above no where near matches the crime when u consider u can beat someone up and pay 500baht. Sometimes this country makes no sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Yep, ok, its the Ops hard luck. But have you never done this? 

In 13 years of working and debauchery in BKK ,actually no i have never had a beer in  a taxi 

Been delivered home in them passed out many times

From the way I read it, this particular law concerns 'vehicles'.

For a couple of years now the State Railway of Thailand has banned the sale of alcohol after a girl was raped and murdered on a train, by an SRT employee who was high on drugs and had also drunk some beer on the train.

I found it sad that everyone had to suffered because of one stupid person.

I also got the impression later that not only was the sale of alcohol banned on trains, but also the consumption.

Can someone confirm this, as for a couple of decades I used to enjoy a few beers on the overnight trains here.

Am I committing an offence by bringing and consuming my own beer in my compartment on the train, and what might the penalty be?

21 minutes ago, simon43 said:

Jeez, what sort of people drink beer in a taxi <deleted>!

If ThaiVisa is useful for one thing alone it for understanding the vast gulf in opinions and attitudes of others...  It often helps me understand how different others can be....

For there was I thinking ‘Jeez, what sort of people think it’s not ok to drink a beer in a taxi <deleted>! 

13 minutes ago, thedemon said:

Or ones that aren't boring old codgers.

Strewth, if drinking beer in a taxi is your idea of edgy excitement, I'll stick with boring old codger - kids, who'd have 'em.

From the way I read it, this particular law concerns 'vehicles'.

For a couple of years now the State Railway of Thailand has banned the sale of alcohol after a girl was raped and murdered on a train, by an SRT employee who was high on drugs and had also drunk some beer on the train.
I found it sad that everyone had to suffered because of one stupid person.

I also got the impression later that not only was the sale of alcohol banned on trains, but also the consumption.
Can someone confirm this, as for a couple of decades I used to enjoy a few beers on the overnight trains here.

Am I committing an offence by bringing and consuming my own beer in my compartment on the train, and what might the penalty be?
I used to use the overnight train from Bangkok to Chiang Mai, could take your own beer, if that ran out go to the buffet car and have a right piss up, happy days.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 minute ago, Stocky said:

Strewth, if drinking beer in a taxi is your idea of edgy excitement, I'll stick with boring old codger - kids, who'd have 'em.

That’s not what he said...  he implied that it may be boring old codgers who consider enjoying a beer whilst stuck in a Bangkok traffic jam as not being acceptable...  he didn’t write that it was exciting !!!

Lets face it, with any degree of intelligent balance, where is the harm to anyone in benign able to enjoy a beer as a passenger ????? 

And who really thinks it’s wrong? 

... only boring numpties (well, and of course whoever agreed this daft regulation, which, I also think exists in the USA).

The amount of times I’ve done this completely unaware of the risks...  I do it almost on a weekly basis when the wife is driving out to a restaurant.

I never knew there was such an extreme penalty for something so harmless, its completely out of balance with penalties for other ‘crimes’ such as the Taxi driver driving drunks or ripping off his passenger.

IMO this Cop knew what he was doing and looking for a foreigner to extort... (yes, I know extort is the wrong word because there is a law against carrying beer in a vehicle, but it would seem apparent that this Cop has found a ‘niche’ money maker and is exploiting it to its full potential - industrious fellow that he is).... 

Says something that cannot not drink while being driven to dinner.

Please don't start a sentence with 'so'- it's very Millenial.

From your style of writing I take it you are from the US. I seem to recollect that there is an 'open container' law there so (note the correct placement of the word in a sentence!) why should you behave any differently here. You broke the law, even though YOU feel you were singled out.

1 minute ago, RJRS1301 said:

Says something that cannot not drink while being driven to dinner.

I’m happy not to... just didn’t realise I couldn’t... 

In all likelihood though, if we’re heading out to dinner, I’ll probaly still enjoy a ‘carrier’ while my wife drives....   I see no harm in it (windows have 30% tint so the bib can’t see inside at night anyway!) 

2 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

I believe open alcohol in a car is illegal. Even a taxi

Same. 

Open is illegal in vehicles (any person in the vehicle, no matter what vehicles), also illegal to walk around public places drinking alcohol.

From memory these laws came into place at same time alcohol sales totally banned at service stations / service centers, and there have been reports that these laws did bring some reduction in alcohol related vehicle accidents. 

9 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

That’s not what he said...  he implied that it may be boring old codgers who consider enjoying a beer whilst stuck in a Bangkok traffic jam as not being acceptable...  he didn’t write that it was exciting !!!

Lets face it, with any degree of intelligent balance, where is the harm to anyone in benign able to enjoy a beer as a passenger ????? 

And who really thinks it’s wrong? 

... only boring numpties (well, and of course whoever agreed this daft regulation, which, I also think exists in the USA).

It just should not apply to a taxi, I get why they apply it to cars. I see no safety aspect of it that makes it wrong. Just strange to drink in a taxi, just desperate. 

I mean drink at home, drink at a bar but a taxi.. that really sounds like dependance on alcohol. But safety wise nothing wrong with it and a stupid law (for taxi's)

Archived