Farang can not transfer money from Thai bank account to european bank account, but can my Thai wife transfer money to european bank accunt?

Unless there's been recent changes, I don't think there's the same degree of restrictions on a Thai sending money overseas.

I do recall that I purchased a house in Naklua over 30 years ago from a well-off Pattaya businesswoman and this was accomplished by my transferring £ from my UK account to the UK bank accounts of her two siblings studying at Uni in London. Once her kids confirmed the money was received, we went to the land office here and I got the title. She claimed it was to avoid excessive forex fees way back then but I reckon she didn't become a Thai billionaire by not leveraging all sorts of loopholes, legal and not so legal, when it came to loadsacash.

Yes, I am very surprised if they don't let you.  as long as you are paying tax there should be no issue

admittedly you may be talking about a "large sum" of money which may well be covered under some sort of capital control.

none the less if your " large sum" is big enough banks will come and visit you

5 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Unless there's been recent changes, I don't think there's the same degree of restrictions on a Thai sending money overseas.

I do recall that I purchased a house in Naklua over 30 years ago from a well-off Pattaya businesswoman and this was accomplished by my transferring £ from my UK account to the UK bank accounts of her two siblings studying at Uni in London. Once her kids confirmed the money was received, we went to the land office here and I got the title. She claimed it was to avoid excessive forex fees way back then but I reckon she didn't become a Thai billionaire by not leveraging all sorts of loopholes, legal and not so legal, when it came to loadsacash.

This is not an answer to my question.You  speak about money transfer from a UK bank to a UK bank.

Not the same as a money transfer between a Thai bank and a UK bank.
Greetings

2 hours ago, likewise said:

Yes you can send from your thai bank to your euro bank, I have done it often.

Not with Kasicorn Bank.

Unless you have proof that your money came in their bank from abroad,(Tor tor sam)

this proof is only given for 1 million and up transactions .

5 hours ago, NanLaew said:

You took a big chance there!!

I can transfer up to $50,000 a month or up to $250,000 a year from my Bangkok Bank account to my HSBC account in the UK.

I told the bank it was salary repatriation and they sent the forms to Bangkok for approval. It was approved.

I was never asked for a work permit (I don't have one).

The way I see it I was lucky and slipped through the net. This was 8 years ago and I have been moving money across via internet banking ever since.

Worth a go, they can only say no.

Lucjoker, You can wire your money about of Thailand and the banks can't do anything to stop, you just ave to know the rules and be patient with the bankers.

1st) I used this method yesterday for a 3,000,000 wire back to the US. The fees were 1,350 at Siam Commercial. If you wire funds into Thailand, you can wire 100% of those funds back to your home country. What you need to do is bring in you bank book showing the bank officers the amount you wired in and the date it arrived. Yesterday, the bank manager and the two assistant managers huddled together for about a half hour checking out my accounts and were talking very quietly in Thai between themselves. I just sat there smiling knowing there was nothing they could do to stop the wire, even though they hated doing it. It took about an hour, but they had to send out my wire and it hit my US bank in about 12 hours. 

2nd) You can wire out up to 800,000 a day and you need to use the reason "Family Support". You can do this 10 days in a row if you want, you just have to keep the amount at 800,000 or below and always use the reason "Family Support" and there is nothing the bank officers can do to stop you, even though they hate doing it.

You just have to know the rules to navigate Thailand's often confusing and unreasonable systems. You would think now that with the Baht being so strong that it is hurting exports, they would want as much money as possible to be wired out of the country. But, instead they are still using the system when the Baht was weak, and they wanted to keep as much foreign funds in the country to help the Baht maintain it's value.

Used either method I mentioned above and there is nothing the banks can do to stop you from wiring your funds out of the country. Just remember to stay clam and don't raise your voice and let the officers do their little investigation and talk with each other in Thai while you are sitting there, and in anywhere from a half hour to an hour your funds will be headed back to your bank in your home country. I hope that helps.

10 hours ago, lucjoker said:

Not with Kasicorn Bank.

Unless you have proof that your money came in their bank from abroad,(Tor tor sam)

I did transfer money from my kasikorn account to my Belgian bankaccount in January. No problem at all. Its Thai people who can not send money tot there bank account abroad.  De bankclerck was incompetent.

17 hours ago, NanLaew said:

… I do recall that I purchased a house in Naklua over 30 years ago from a well-off Pattaya businesswoman ... 

I know it's trivial, but why do foreigners here often say they own a house & land or they purchased a house & land, when in reality, they just put up the money for a spouse or girlfriend. Why not just say you purchased a house and/or land for your spouse or girlfriend. I know in some cases foreigners have a 30-year leasehold on the property or have formed a Thai limited company, but legally the foreigners cannot own property. The only exception I believe is if you are a permanent resident. But, everyone I know that claim to own a house or land are on extensions based on retirement. I have friends who tell me they bought a house or some land and when I question them and point out that they don't legally own it they get upset with me. Why can't they just admit the truth and say they bought it for their spouse or girlfriend. Does it make them feel bad that they are giving away their money and if they should divorce they will lose it? Man, I would hate to have to live under that stress. If I ever decide to buy my wife a house & land, it will be a gift and I will be happy to tell anyone I bought it for her with no strings attached.

As the new law about 1 years extension by monthly transfer of 65 000 B from my bank in Denmark I thought I will do that and  thereafter tranfer back  to my Danish bank about 60 000 B.

Should that not be possible ?

If not, can I with my Thai Kasikorn debet card go to an ATM in Denmark and withdraw money although I know it will be a bad deal for me due to the exchange rate ?

4 hours ago, BertM said:
21 hours ago, NanLaew said:

… I do recall that I purchased a house in Naklua over 30 years ago from a well-off Pattaya businesswoman ... 

I know it's trivial, but why do foreigners here often say they own a house & land or they purchased a house & land, when in reality, they just put up the money for a spouse or girlfriend.

He said he purchased it, not that he owned it and he said house not "house and land."

You can purchase something for your wife or whoever. She owns it, but he purchased it.

I purchased a house in Pattaya. I was the one who paid for it. I don't own it, but the money used for the purchase was mine so I purchased it.

5 hours ago, Nielsk said:

As the new law about 1 years extension by monthly transfer of 65 000 B from my bank in Denmark I thought I will do that and  thereafter tranfer back  to my Danish bank about 60 000 B.

If not, can I with my Thai Kasikorn debet card go to an ATM in Denmark and withdraw money although I know it will be a bad deal for me due to the exchange rate ?

Yes, your Thai debet card (Visa) will work world wide.

You can set up a max /day

Since your money is in a Thai bank now , it is in strong Bht.( the EU is weak) .So if you take out euro's in Denmark ,you make a nice 10% profit.(lucky those who did not keep their money in EU)

The Spanish ATM takes 2.5 EU on each transaction ( 600 eu each time) so that is peanuts compared with the 60eu(10%) you win each time.

19 hours ago, bubblehead said:

I can transfer up to $50,000 a month or up to $250,000 a year from my Bangkok Bank account to my HSBC account in the UK.

I told the bank it was salary repatriation and they sent the forms to Bangkok for approval. It was approved.

I was never asked for a work permit (I don't have one).

The way I see it I was lucky and slipped through the net. This was 8 years ago and I have been moving money across via internet banking ever since.

Worth a go, they can only say no.

That probably wouldn't happen today. I recently tried to transfer out a few million baht from BBank and they wanted letters from my Thai employer, WP copies, etc. I told them where to go and walked across the street to Kbank who gladly transfer the money with a copy of my payslip.

“Deemoney” Bangkok I have just signed up with them as I had a nightmare sending 200,000 baht to my U.K. bank I had to fill in loads of forms and the manger told me to say it was for educational funds . I appears with Deemoney you don’t have this type of problem but as yet I have not used them as yet .

On 2/25/2019 at 8:44 AM, lucjoker said:

This is not an answer to my question.You  speak about money transfer from a UK bank to a UK bank.

People will post anything about what they did 30-year ago just to increase their number of posts. ????

On ‎2‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 9:49 PM, lucjoker said:

Not with Kasicorn Bank.

You also can become it for less than 1 million, but you have to ask for it. But I think it's then not a tor tor sam. 

On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 9:29 AM, BertM said:

I know it's trivial, but why do foreigners here often say they own a house & land or they purchased a house & land, when in reality, they just put up the money for a spouse or girlfriend. Why not just say you purchased a house and/or land for your spouse or girlfriend. I know in some cases foreigners have a 30-year leasehold on the property or have formed a Thai limited company, but legally the foreigners cannot own property. The only exception I believe is if you are a permanent resident. But, everyone I know that claim to own a house or land are on extensions based on retirement. I have friends who tell me they bought a house or some land and when I question them and point out that they don't legally own it they get upset with me. Why can't they just admit the truth and say they bought it for their spouse or girlfriend. Does it make them feel bad that they are giving away their money and if they should divorce they will lose it? Man, I would hate to have to live under that stress. If I ever decide to buy my wife a house & land, it will be a gift and I will be happy to tell anyone I bought it for her with no strings attached.

You are wrong, a foreigner is able to own property. The foreigner is only not able to own the land!

I can buy a house in my name if I want, but need a land lease for the land where the house is build on. I never would do like that, but legal possible. And with a condominium you are legal able to own a condo.

But I have to agree with your comment, that many buy something in the wife/gf names and call this their property which mostly is not correct. especially with a hosue, they mostly have to sign a letter that this is the money of the wife.

• 1 month later...
On 2/26/2019 at 4:22 AM, Nielsk said:

Yes you can also transfer the money back to Denmark and then back again to Thailand the month after to prove your 65k income for your visa. You may want to use  different accounts for sending than getting it back.Maybe the immigration don`t like your transactions it its coming and going from the same account,but its no laws saying you can not

On 2/25/2019 at 9:44 PM, lucjoker said:

Greetings

You CAN transfer money from a Thai bank to a UK bank. Regular SWIFT transfer.

You have to be able to show either that taxes have been paid on it (if income earned in Thailand) or that the money originally came from abroad. In the case of money from sale of property that the original purchase was financed either with money brought in from abroad or taxed income.

Some banks like to make unnecessary problems over this, it is a bank issue not Thai banking law. And sometimes it is just an issue with the specific employee i.e. they have never done it before, the default reaction here to things one does not know exactly how to do  often being "cannot". That can also be the response when they do know how but don't want the hassle (there is a bit moire steos entailed with a foreigner's account).

Suggest you go back to the bank, be firm, ask to speak to manager etc. If that fails consider changing banks.

You can also definitely use Dee Money to transfer funds to a UK bank from Thailand. There are per transaction limits though so if amount really large might have to be multiple transactions.

Dee Money compares favorably to banks in terms of transfer fees and exchange rate.

www.dee.money

“Deemoney” Bangkok I have just signed up with them as I had a nightmare sending 200,000 baht to my U.K. bank I had to fill in loads of forms and the manger told me to say it was for educational funds . I appears with Deemoney you don’t have this type of problem but as yet I have not used them as yet .

You don't. You can do it all online in minutes,. You get a drop down menu where you select the source of funds (e.g. earnings, savings etc) and then the purpose of the transfer (e.g. living expenses etc). That's it.

I just checked. Limit per day is 690,000 baht. 690,000 baht using mobile app, between 690 - 800 K have to go to one of their offices in person.

On 2/25/2019 at 9:49 PM, lucjoker said:

Not with Kasicorn Bank.

dont know mate. My cash came in through SCB and I recently transfered 9.000 euros back without questions asked. This was not the first time either. When +25000 euros they asked me for a proof that funds came from abroad, showed it, it dated from 2009, they had a quick look and gone was the money back to Europe. Took 30 minutes in all. With kasikorn even though it came in through SCB. It is BS if they tell you because it is BOT that is the overruling bank here, local banks, any, just follow the BOT rules so it shouldn't make a difference through what bank it came in and with what bank you are sending it back. 

On 2/26/2019 at 10:22 AM, Nielsk said:

Sonds like you will be spending a significant percentage of the monthly remittance back and forth in fees.  It also sounds like you live very frugally on 5000 per month? If so then why not just transfer until you've topped off the tha bank account with sufficient funds for the visa needs and then just cease?  it seems like the fewer transfers the better.  

On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 9:29 AM, BertM said:

He said he "purchased" a house...not land, which is legal for foreigners.

I have permanent residence but still cannot own land...only Thai Nationals can.

The house would be on land owned by a Thai national or Thai company...for which the land owner presumably gave permission. As a foreigner if you want to you can lease land from a Thai individual or company, or you can arrange for a "usufruct" to be noted on the Chanote title deed for the land which gives you the right to use and to live on that land for your entire lifetime, no matter who owns it or how many times it may be sold on. I think in general people mean that for their lifetime and for practical purposes "effectively" they own the land and house by means of such arrangements. After you die you own nothing anyway.

In these scenarios find another way to invest in order to pass on any inheritance if so desired.

Archived