UK's Labour says it will back call for second Brexit referendum

webfact

20 minutes ago, rixalex said:

In the event of indyref2, with the outcome of "yes", would you not force Scottish independence on say, The Shetlands, if they were to overwhelming vote in favour of staying a part of Britain, as they did before?

I think they would rather be part of Norway!

• Replies 959
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In the event of indyref2, with the outcome of "yes", would you not force Scottish independence on say, The Shetlands, if they were to overwhelming vote in favour of staying a part of Britain, as they did before?
There has been no expressed desire in either Shetland or Orkney to break away from Scotland. Indeed, the SNP is second only to the lib dems there.

Berwick upon Tweed, however, is a different matter.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

4 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

There has been no expressed desire in either Shetland or Orkney to break away from Scotland. Indeed, the SNP is second only to the lib dems there.

Berwick upon Tweed, however, is a different matter.

I wasn't talking about a desire to break away from Scotland. I was talking about a desire to remain a part of Britain. Would you force them against their will and without their consent, to leave?

I wasn't talking about a desire to break away from Scotland. I was talking about a desire to remain a part of Britain. Would you force them against their will and without their consent, to leave?
You are mixing up terms - Britain as a geographical entity won't change, but the question will be whether they wish to join a new union with the remnants of the UK.

As I mentioned, there was no expressed desire for them to secede from Scotland in the event of it leaving the UK, so I see the point as moot.

That said, they are an intrinsic part of Scotland and have been part of the country for far longer than Scotland has been part of the UK, so I would not support any attempt for them to break away.

3 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

You are mixing up terms - Britain as a geographical entity won't change, but the question will be whether they wish to join a new union with the remnants of the UK.

As I mentioned, there was no expressed desire for them to secede from Scotland in the event of it leaving the UK, so I see the point as moot.

That said, they are an intrinsic part of Scotland and have been part of the country for far longer than Scotland has been part of the UK, so I would not support any attempt for them to break away.

Not mixing anything up.

Was that a "yes", you would force them?

2 hours ago, rixalex said:

Why are you talking sarcastically about a physical attack?

You claimed remainers were "attacked" when asking a certain question. "Attacked" was your word. I assumed you meant a verbal attack. I just asked you to answer when it was that you were attacked. Your response is to then call it an "absurd moronic" question.

1 hour ago, rixalex said:

50 minutes ago, rixalex said:

36 minutes ago, rixalex said:

Not mixing anything up.

QED

23 minutes ago, rixalex said:

Comprehension wasn't a subject at my school. Nor was Latin. Pretty sure though that i understand what QED means, but do go on....

Clearly you don't. "Quod Erat Demonstrandum" (QED) means, "thus has been demonstrated" i.e. you demonstrated my point "absurd and moronic posts". I posted a number of consecutive posts, by you, that illustrated my point exactly.

No need to thank me for the Latin and comprehension lesson. Always willing to help the mentally challenged.

6 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Clearly you don't. "Quod Erat Demonstrandum" (QED) means, "thus has been demonstrated" i.e. you demonstrated my point "absurd and moronic posts". I posted a number of consecutive posts, by you, that illustrated my point exactly.

No need to thank me for the Latin and comprehension lesson. Always willing to help the mentally challenged.

Oh dear. More condescension and insults. It really does say far more about you than anyone else.

Regarding your education in Latin, i might not have known the exact letter for letter spelling of what it is an abbreviation for, but then if you were being honest, neither did you. Everyone is a genius with Google at their fingertips. Maybe if you'd thrown in the odd incorrect letter it might have made the pretense a bit more plausible.

Anyway, back to QED... I did understand correctly the meaning. My post was about you having been "attacked". I asked when it was you had been attacked. You then quoted some more of my posts with the reply, "QED" and nothing else, leading me to think you were presenting evidence of an "attack". I now see you were providing "evidence" of how "absurd and moronic" my posts are. How exactly was i supposed to know that?

Maybe less time learning Latin and "comprehension", whatever that subject is, and more time learning how to express yourself clearly might have been a greater use of time.

Not mixing anything up.

Scotland is sovereign whereas the Shetlands are not, nor do they have the institutions that would qualify them as an independent country. Therefore they would have no more right than London now has to declare itself an independent state.

How do you feel about Berwick upon Tweed and the poll that suggests they would prefer to secede from England and join an independent Scotland? That does make sense, does it not, especially with the desire of many locals to rejoin Scotland?

4 hours ago, rixalex said:

aright quote: "staying in a bureaucratic superstate  which has bailouts in contravention of the Maastricht Treaty, mass youth unemployment, target  2 imbalances, German surplus outside the rules, impending Italian default, low growth, corruption, waste, an internal currency which only truly benefits one country, unaudited accounts, a migrant crisis, transit camps for those migrants with papers at the Austrian border, a member who freeloads on Nato defence, but, against Union rules gets a sweetheart deal on energy which is not available to other members.........…….etc "

Says so much that when asked to address some of the problems with the EU as stated by aright above, the response isn't even an attempt to deny them, rather an assertion that really they don't matter as 99% of British people won't be affected. Amazing.

corruption,low growth,unemployment,waste.burrocracy,migrants,things you saw everyday even in the good times, you can add on knife crime,shambles of a govt,rubbish trains,roads,airports,trains,drugs,alcohol,obesity,household debt the last 10 issue's are a lot more relevent to UK nationals than trivial things like italys debt and anything to go with Nato or the Euro,iam sure the europeans would prefer we dont export our issue's as they are much worse than anything they can muster

13 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

Scotland is sovereign whereas the Shetlands are not, nor do they have the institutions that would qualify them as an independent country. Therefore they would have no more right than London now has to declare itself an independent state.

How on earth can The Shetlands get sovereignty without getting independence first? That's a catch 22.

https://www.rte.ie/news/special-reports/2017/0216/853044-shetland-brexit-scotland/

At the end of the day, if independence is what the people want, why not let them decide? I'd be happy for Berwick Upon Tweed to have a vote.

Bit ironic that you, as an outspoken advocate of the right of independence, don't seem to think that right should apply to places like The Shetlands, Orkney and Outer Hebrides. I wonder why...

50 minutes ago, bomber said:

corruption,low growth,unemployment,waste.burrocracy,migrants,things you saw everyday even in the good times, you can add on knife crime,shambles of a govt,rubbish trains,roads,airports,trains,drugs,alcohol,obesity,household debt the last 10 issue's are a lot more relevent to UK nationals than trivial things like italys debt and anything to go with Nato or the Euro,iam sure the europeans would prefer we dont export our issue's as they are much worse than anything they can muster

Still not addressing any of the issues within the EU, what might have caused them, what the solutions might be.

Your only reply is, "ah yes, but Britain is a bigger sh1th*le". Actually, no it's not. That does seem to be the way remainers think though.

41 minutes ago, rixalex said:

How on earth can The Shetlands get sovereignty without getting independence first? That's a catch 22.

https://www.rte.ie/news/special-reports/2017/0216/853044-shetland-brexit-scotland/

At the end of the day, if independence is what the people want, why not let them decide? I'd be happy for Berwick Upon Tweed to have a vote.

Bit ironic that you, as an outspoken advocate of the right of independence, don't seem to think that right should apply to places like The Shetlands, Orkney and Outer Hebrides. I wonder why...

The Shetlands area includes a huge chunk of UK (&EU) oil/gas and fishing. Shetlanders heavily rejected the EEC in 1975. If they were to want a break from Scotland in favour of the UK (leaving the EU) then that would certainly give Gnasher Sturgeon a taste of her own medicine.   

The Shetlands area includes a huge chunk of UK (&EU) oil/gas and fishing. Shetlanders heavily rejected the EEC in 1975. If they were to want a break from Scotland in favour of the UK (leaving the EU) then that would certainly give Gnasher Sturgeon a taste of her own medicine.   
But this is total conjecture - the SNP came a not too shabby second to the lib dems at the last election. Why not argue about the right of Huntly or Ecclefechan to independence - they are clamouring for it no less and no more than Shetlands.

Quite simply this tired old canard is used by a unionist press to sow seeds of doubt in the Scottish electorate because they know that without the North Sea to continue to bleed dry, England will be on the bones of its arse.

But this is total conjecture - the SNP came a not too shabby second to the lib dems at the last election. Why not argue about the right of Huntly or Ecclefechan to independence - they are clamouring for it no less and no more than Shetlands.

Quite simply this tired old canard is used by a unionist press to sow seeds of doubt in the Scottish electorate because they know that without the North Sea to continue to bleed dry, England will be on the bones of its arse.

42 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

I thought you might be up early Rudy! The Shetlands were mentioned in the post I commented on, that's all. The rest of it is not just conjecture. Shetlanders were opposed to the EEC in the first place and a Shetland 200 mile economic limit would scoop most of the UK hydrocarbons as well as a huge fish haul.

I can't blame them for thinking about it. The irony is that when the SNP use the separate Scottish national EU remain vote as an argument for another independence vote, they may have forgotten that Shetlanders voted firm leave and they might want the same consideration. Dundee cake and eat it or what?   

1 hour ago, rixalex said:

Still not addressing any of the issues within the EU, what might have caused them, what the solutions might be.

Your only reply is, "ah yes, but Britain is a bigger sh1th*le". Actually, no it's not. That does seem to be the way remainers think though.

the issue's within the EU with other nations other than the UK mean little to me you and the vast majority of folks,same same bulgarians and latvians wont be bothered or effected by us leaving,shithole well that is debatable but there are better safer cleaner friendlier cheaper warmer places to live than the UK for sure hence their are more people than ever leaving,who can blame them,maybe its your dream place but thats up to you

1 minute ago, bomber said:

the issue's within the EU with other nations other than the UK mean little to me you and the vast majority of folks,same same bulgarians and latvians wont be bothered or effected by us leaving,shithole well that is debatable but there are better safer cleaner friendlier cheaper warmer places to live than the UK for sure hence their are more people than ever leaving,who can blame them,maybe its your dream place but thats up to you

Bulgarians and Latvians will get a lot less free money when the UK leaves, so it affects everyone.

2 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Bulgarians and Latvians will get a lot less free money when the UK leaves, so it affects everyone.

be pennies for every every man woman and child as opposed to the £1000 - £2000 per person brexit has cost every brit

9 minutes ago, bomber said:

be pennies for every every man woman and child as opposed to the £1000 - £2000 per person brexit has cost every brit

Are you making figures up again ?

Has every Brit paid 1-2000 Quid or did you just make that up ?

3 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Are you making figures up again ?

Has every Brit paid 1-2000 Quid or did you just make that up ?

inflation and loss of pounds value over 2.5 years,it seems about right to me,wont affect the benefit scroungers down spoonies who visit skeggy and margate but will affect the working motorist and overseas holidaymaker a lot more,add on the 100s of millions the govt has wasted on top and its a fair assumption.

On 3/3/2019 at 3:11 PM, CG1 Blue said:

Careful, you're only allowed to post bad economic news on here. Good news sends the remainers into discombobulation ????

out today growth for first quarter close to stalling.

I thought you might be up early Rudy! The Shetlands were mentioned in the post I commented on, that's all. The rest of it is not just conjecture. Shetlanders were opposed to the EEC in the first place and a Shetland 200 mile economic limit would scoop most of the UK hydrocarbons as well as a huge fish haul.

I can't blame them for thinking about it. The irony is that when the SNP use the separate Scottish national EU remain vote as an argument for another independence vote, they may have forgotten that Shetlanders voted firm leave and they might want the same consideration. Dundee cake and eat it or what?   

I am not sure if I am picking you up wrong, but in the 2016 referendum, Shetland voted 56% in favour of remain.

Whalsay and Unst both voted leave, but for Shetland overall, their attitude reflects every other part of Scotland.

7 minutes ago, bomber said:

inflation and loss of pounds value over 2.5 years,it seems about right to me,wont affect the benefit scroungers down spoonies who visit skeggy and margate but will affect the working motorist and overseas holidaymaker a lot more,add on the 100s of millions the govt has wasted on top and its a fair assumption.

OK, so that the figure that you gave was just your own personal prediction  how much Brexit will cost , rather than a real actual figure of how much each Brit has already paid .

I do wish that you would be more precise in what you write

4 minutes ago, sanemax said:

OK, so that the figure that you gave was just your own personal prediction  how much Brexit will cost , rather than a real actual figure of how much each Brit has already paid .

I do wish that you would be more precise in what you write

sky's prediction is £500 per person per year,about right imo

Theresa May's Brexit plan would cost £500 per person a year _ UK News _ Sky News.html

Archived