BKK Bank passbook NOT showing SWIFT transfer as foreign transaction

In order to use the income method for extension of stay, many, many people here suggested that using Bangkok Bank was the best way to ensure incoming foreign transfers show up as such in the passbook.

So, I opened an account.  I made a SWIFT transfer from the U.S. into the account.  Instead of PTT, which folks said indicated a transfer from outside Thailand, my passbook shows BTN, which I assume stands for Bahtnet, which is exactly the same that shows in my Krungsri passbook when I make and incoming SWIFT transfer.  What gives?

IMG_0927.jpg

You made a SWIFT transfer to Thailand or Bangkok Bank New York?  Believe the code most of us get for ACH or Transferwise is FTT.

Do you have Ibanking (internet)?  Should be listed as International Transfer I suspect (my ACH via New York is).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Almost none have SWIFT so they must have used a 3rd party and it may not have been via SWIFT.

My credit union in the states uses swift transfer for at least 8 years, it is actually transfered thru western union from credit union to BKK FTT

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

From a previous thread.

"You can request statements (at your local bank branch) for detailed statements from their HQ, itemising foreign transactions as Bahtnet or Foreign TT deposits. Takes approx 5 days to process. + Bank letter.

According to TI, all bank HQ's are already aware of Immigrations requirements for detailed statements showing overseas transfers, which your local branch may not be able to confirm or supply."

Mine (from U.S. to BBL) say KU and FTT (in the passbook), no intermediary bank specified on my standing wire transfer orders, but BBL Credit Advice/Receipt shows Sending Bank as JPMORGAN CHASE BANK , N.A. They do not take any funds as a service fee, just 200 baht at BBL.

Maybe look online to see what the description is, and ask for a Credit Advice/Receipt.

Thanks for the responses, all.  I'll check from the U.S. side to see if they used a correspondent bank and I'll get the credit advice/receipt from BKK Bank to see if it shows as an international transfer there.

Edited by JTXR

42 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Almost none have SWIFT so they must have used a 3rd party and it may not have been via SWIFT.

My credit union does not have swift. I think may be same for almost all credit unions. By the way, how much do they charge for a swift? Is the rate Ok? 

Edited by onera1961

16 minutes ago, JTXR said:

Of course, without the SWIFT code it's not possible to make a SWIFT transfer.

Actually all they need is the bank name and account number to look up the SWIFT code - but as most US Banks are less then trained for international transfers it is much better to provide everything.  I would be interested to learn how your bank actually sent the funds and if actually used SWIFT.

39 minutes ago, JTXR said:

Of course, without the SWIFT code it's not possible to make a SWIFT transfer.

My point is that many people think their bank will automatically use "SWIFT" when there are many other systems i.e. IBAN, BIC, SC & A/C and interbank local transfer systems etc.  You need to instruct the bank as to the system you wish them to use and in some cases to annotate the transfer to meet your/receiving bank's requirements.

PS;  My usual UK caveat applies as the US banking system is much different to the UK/European one!

Edited by scottiejohn
PS added
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

BAHTNET means the transfer came through the Bank of Thailand. An international transfer.

Thanks, Sheryl.  I'll confirm that with my Bangkok Bank branch.  And if that's the case, there should be no problem.

• Like 1

BATHNET is a domestic network. If your oversea transfer showed as BATHNET it means the last leg of the journey was domestic. Another Thai bank acted as an intermediary, received the transfer and then transferred into your bank.

Bank of Thailand is not a bank, it's an administrative government agency.

I have always ordered USD SWIFT, always have showed as FTT on my Bangkok Bank book.

Edited by Thailand J
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, johnmell said:

My Swift transfers from HSBC in England show as BTN in my Bangkok bank blue book, and BAHTNET on a statement.

Never shown as FTT.

I believe that is a factor from HSBC UK to Thailand, a friend recently transferred Sterling and it went via Lloyd's Bank who helped themselves to £30.

3 hours ago, johnmell said:

My Swift transfers from HSBC in England show as BTN in my Bangkok bank blue book, and BAHTNET on a statement.

Never shown as FTT.

I'm going to take a wild guess and ask if, maybe, BTN is a short form of BAHTNET? It looks like it could be.

2 hours ago, Crossy said:

All useful stuff ^^^

Also, did you transfer Baht or USD? Conventional wisdom suggests that transferring USD will net a better exchange rate.  

yes, but have to careful.  OP only had a buffer of 1900 baht, about $60.  a correspondent bank taking out their cut and a drop in the exchange rate could put the transfer under 65k......giving an io the opportunity to use their discretion and get that bigscreen teevee mrs io has been wanting.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1