"Drunk" Brit with prosthetic arm caused Pattaya accident - Thai media

webfact

"Drunk" Brit with prosthetic arm caused Pattaya accident - Thai media

1pm1.jpg

Picture: Sanook

Thai media reported that the Toyota Fortuner that slammed into a line of motorbikes injuring many people yesterday was driven by a British man. 

Sanook and The Pattaya News said in stories that he was arrested by police and tested for alcohol. The news media said that he appeared drunk.

They also both reported that he has a prosthetic left arm. 

1pm.jpg

Picture: Sanook

Some 15 bikes were damaged and the back of a song thaew was also damaged in the accident around 11 am Tuesday. 

A 60 year old female tourist, a 65 year old male tourist and a 40-45 year old Thai man were reportedly injured at the scene. 

Reports suggested that the Fortuner arrived at speed and hit a bike coming out of a bank near the end of Soi 13/3 on Beach Road. Losing control the Fortuner then collided with a song thaew and plowed into the line of bikes. 

Sources: Sanook | The Pattaya News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-02-27

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
58 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

Prosthetic arm or not, having an accident like this when drunk will normally see you in jail for a significant period in many places around the world. This being Thailand, it is more likely to be a case of how much money it costs him.

They tested his alcohol, but the report doesn't say he had any in him. So it's either very poor reporting or he simply had no alcohol in him. They said he "appeared drunk" but that means nothing, people appear in such a way to fit a context and a guy who just had a wreck like that, in pattaya, would already be presumed (therefore appear) drunk.

I wish the reporting actually was better because as it is written, he didn't consume any alcohol and the only thing suggesting that is the hear-say that always gets injected.

1 hour ago, webfact said:

hit a bike coming out of a bank near the end of Soi 13/3

Maybe the motorbike just pulled out from the bank,without looking

as they do,but if the British man had been drinking and over the limit

he's got a lot of problems and it's going to be expensive.

regards worgeordie

3 minutes ago, greenbottle555 said:

They tested his alcohol, but the report doesn't say he had any in him. So it's either very poor reporting or he simply had no alcohol in him. They said he "appeared drunk" but that means nothing, people appear in such a way to fit a context and a guy who just had a wreck like that, in pattaya, would already be presumed (therefore appear) drunk.

I wish the reporting actually was better because as it is written, he didn't consume any alcohol and the only thing suggesting that is the hear-say that always gets injected.

Quite right. Nothing in the OP confirms he had been drinking. I am sure he must have been in shock. What does that look like?

The ‘Opinion decider’ here is whether he was drunk or not... 

As always the reporting we read in this articles is clumsy beyond belief. 

Was he actually tested for Alcohol or was someone heard saying “this guy may have been drinking to have an accident like this”.....

If this accident happened at night time I’d suspect drinking, but it was day time...

That said: What caused such an accident?

Reports suggested that the Fortuner arrived at speed and hit a bike coming out of a bank near the end of Soi 13/3 on Beach Road. Losing control the Fortuner then collided with a song thaew and plowed into the line of bikes

Did the bike pull out in front of the Fortuner without looking? (As often happens and the Fortuner had to swerve)... Or was he really speeding... looking at the damage it seems speed may have been quite the factor... 

I hope this is just an extremely random accident and not the result of DUI..., but unfortunately there is too much of this stuff in Thailand... We have to watch our backs in every situation.

4 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

I just wonder why you would film wounded people and post it on internet?

Because we live in a world of social media, and with that it brings out a lot attention whores who will post shocking videos for more views, 'likes' and so on 

Archived