Theresa May gains two weeks' Brexit reprieve from British lawmakers

webfact

9 minutes ago, Loiner said:

Just look at it. Do you see the Leavers negotiating/appeasing the EU?
Do you see Leavers anywhere in positions of authority in the Brexit process?
Do you not see that the problem is Remain?
There are none so blind....

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

The ‘leavers’ had a chance to challenge for the PMs job (they did a runner).

The ‘leavers’ promised to show up with a ‘Plan B’ (they did a runner).

David Davis (a ‘leaver’) was in charge of the negotiations (he did a runner).

There’s a pattern emerging.

3 minutes ago, Loiner said:

Wrong. The Leavers, David Davis in particular were not allowed. May pulled party rank on him at Chequers.

You are correct, David Davies was "Constructively dismissed". He'd had achieved a level of inadequacy that was impressive even by Westminster standards. He was replaced by Dominic Raab (Often referred to as Dom Rabies) who was himself a leaver, so no change there.

• Like 1

You are correct, David Davies was "Constructively dismissed". He'd had achieved a level of inadequacy that was impressive even by Westminster standards. He was replaced by Dominic Raab (Often referred to as Dom Rabies) who was himself a leaver, so no change there.

Raab was also forced to resign. Not surprising, as a Leaver who could not in good conscience support May’s capitulation agreement.
When Remainers get into a position of power they won’t have any dissent will they? We can see the same attitude here on TVF - always trying to shout down anything other than their own agenda.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

The 'Jarrow-esque' march in favour of a plot hatched by Old Etonians, tax shy multimillionaires and hedge fund managers.

Irony lives in a new bitter form.

The plot was hatched by Grieve & Cooper among others and aided by Bercow. The best you can hope is that the 'beast-from-the east' returns in order to keep the numbers down but that isn't looking likely.

Here's the route for anyone in UK.

Edited by evadgib

17 hours ago, Nigel Garvie said:

Yes "Lawmakers"totally pisses me off also, no doubt we will have to change our "S"s to "Z"s and spell colour humour etc wrongly as part of the trade deal in which we sell them our NHS.

3) Some of the LP MPs are motivated by the idiotic ideology of the 1970s not just their desire to keep their seats. I would not remove the whip from them, I would apply it with great force at regular intervals! Start with Kate Hoey and the beast of Bolsover! Interestingly a number of constituencies in Labour ares have already swung from Leave to Remain.

5) It's a 2nd referendum for me, everyone has made a total balls up of it, and we need a clear indication what the public wants now they know the disaster at hand. Parliament is still sovereign of course.

Do you have any links or reports showing a number of constituencies in Labour areas have already swung from Leave to Remain, or do we just take your word for it?

10 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I think that reminder will be made very clear at the next general election. I can see that a large number of both Tory and Labour seats being filled by newbies who WILL listen to their constituents.

Next scheduled GE is in 2022 is it not?

That is a long time for voters to remember.

15 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Do you have any links or reports showing a number of constituencies in Labour areas have already swung from Leave to Remain, or do we just take your word for it?

Source YouGov (Owned by a Tory) and Government statistics.

Screen Shot 2019-03-01 at 12.32.02.png

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I think that reminder will be made very clear at the next general election. I can see that a large number of both Tory and Labour seats being filled by newbies who WILL listen to their constituents.

I wish I was as hopeful in outlook ☹️.

Power corrupts.....

4 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

Next scheduled GE is in 2022 is it not?

That is a long time for voters to remember.

No it isn't. Liverpool has yet to forgive Boris or The Sun to give one example and there are several mining communities where plod or the tories aren't welcome as a result of the miners strike 30+ years ago.

• Like 2

On 2/28/2019 at 5:37 AM, webfact said:

While that was widely expected, Labour had said this week that its failure would be the trigger for the main opposition party to pledge its support for a new referendum.

So if remain win by 51.9% to 48.1% that will be OK.

8 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

No.

The Remoaners would accept the first one on those numbers when the result went against.

Suggest minimum 60/40 as they are so confident that so many Leave voters have seen the error of their ways.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

If MPs were absolutely confident that a second referendum would result in a remain vote - they would have called one immediately.

Depends on the wording. If Hard Brexit was on the table it would be a walkover.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

No as that will mean a draw, paving the way for a third and possible 4th, 5th etc referendum unless of course they change the rules and say a minimum of 60% or that referendum fails and we revert to the first referendum which hasn't been fulfilled yet as we are still a member of the EU.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, LucysDad said:

Suggest minimum 60/40 as they are so confident that so many Leave voters have seen the error of their ways.

It would show to me the leavers have succumbed to the 1% and the financial institutions and want to be part of EU when it brings the whole edifice down upon their unworthy heads. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, billd766 said:

No as that will mean a draw, paving the way for a third and possible 4th, 5th etc referendum unless of course they change the rules and say a minimum of 60% or that referendum fails and we revert to the first referendum which hasn't been fulfilled yet as we are still a member of the EU.

?

1 2 3 4 5 any higher?

The UK has a very long affiliation with The Americas Cup, since late 18 hundreds

use their scheme

first to win 7 gets the treasure at the end of the rainbow

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

Depends on the wording. If Hard Brexit was on the table it would be a walkover.

The thing that has struck me about the polls, is than in a choice between remain and any specific concrete leave option - I.E. "Remain vs No deal", "Remain vs May's deal" or even "Remain vs Norway+ deal" Remain wins by a comfortable margin.

Remain vs some nebulous leave is however much closer.

Which brings me to the conclusion that if, as leavers constantly say, all leavers knew exactly what they were voting for 3 years ago, it wasn't the same thing they all voted for.  

Edited by tebee
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, tebee said:

The thing that has struck me about the polls, is than in a choice between remain and any specific concrete leave option - I.E. "Remain vs No deal", "Remain vs May's deal" or even "Remain vs Norway+ deal" Remain wins by a comfortable margin.

Remain vs some nebulous leave is however much closer.

Which brings me to the conclusion that if, as leavers constantly say, all leavers knew exactly what they were voting for 3 years ago, it wasn't the same thing they all voted for.  

my confidence in poll results from UK companies/institutions is fairly limited

pinches of salt do not suffice, spades of salt maybe

would it be hard to find poll results telling the opposite? just asking

tebee,

not long ago you made an entry pinpointing the reputation of the UK being ruined,

but homemade polls you still consume as gospel?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

tebee,

not long ago you made an entry pinpointing the reputation of the UK being ruined,

but homemade polls you still consume as gospel?

I never consider polls as gospel, but I do consider them useful indicators of the public mood - they are one up from "gut feelings"

It's not the pollsters that are ruining the UK's reputation, but it's our politicians. Maybe they are relying too much on said  "gut feelings" and not on scientific evidence and "experts"

15 minutes ago, tebee said:

I never consider polls as gospel, but I do consider them useful indicators of the public mood - they are one up from "gut feelings"

It's not the pollsters that are ruining the UK's reputation, but it's our politicians. Maybe they are relying too much on said  "gut feelings" and not on scientific evidence and "experts"

no, not the pollsters

seems like msm and politicians are working in a symbiotic relationship re ruining

agree, in general polls are a step up from gut feelings, there are exceptions though

the most recent presidential election in the US shines as an example

being truly unbiased and objective re Brexit is becoming a challenge in the UK,

pollsters are also affected by the ongoings, they are only humans