Stranded in Thailand

13 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

No, I'm not.   I'm stating that transferring funds from a Thai bank account out of the country without a WP that is not earnings is not permitted by the Bank of Thailand regulations.  That has been quoted to me over the phone from the Bangkok Bank head office and also by the Sukhumvit Soi 10 branch where my request to transfer approximately B11,000 to pay an invoice to an HSBC, Hong Kong account was refused because I do not have a WP.

A person who brings in the equivalent 500,000 baht from outside of the country can transfer that money out of Thailand no problem without a work permit.  At Bangkok Bank.  Or Dee money from Thailand to USA with no information required and done over the phone. 

Edited by marcusarelus

On ‎3‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 2:55 PM, jacko45k said:

I pay for online purchases to overseas companies all the time using my BB Credit Card. 

So do I!  

I'm not saying that there are not ways to pay for purchases overseas, what I am saying is if you go to a Thai Bank and ask to make a transfer out of the country the BoT regs state that a WP is required and my personal experience is that without a WP the request will be denied.

4 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

So do I!  

I'm not saying that there are not ways to pay for purchases overseas, what I am saying is if you go to a Thai Bank and ask to make a transfer out of the country the BoT regs state that a WP is required and my personal experience is that without a WP the request will be denied.

I've done it every year for 20 years at bank of Bangkok and I've never had a WP.  Explain?

Next question is withdraw 1,000,000 in Thai baht from the bank and buy USD and fly out of the country.  Any problems? 

What you are saying just does not make any sense.

Edited by marcusarelus

On ‎3‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 3:11 PM, smedly said:

you sound angry, if the money you want to transfer came from outside Thailand and you can prove it then what's the problem ?

just keep beating yourself up while the rest of us carry on and do things you think are not possible - funny 

"...you sound angry..."

You can hear me?  Clever.

Not everyone has documentary proof of the source of their funds!  But that is not the point, the point that I am making is that BoT regulations state that if you're a foreigner wanting to transfer funds out of Thailand you need to prove that it is from earnings and that means showing evidence of the source, which will mean a request for a WP!

This is from Bangkok Bank's website FAQs which supports what I'm stating...

Do I need to provide documents to declare my purpose of sending funds abroad?

The Bank of Thailand requires every commercial bank to obtain documents from customers outlining the reasons for sending the funds abroad before completing the transaction. For example, you may need to provide an invoice if you make a funds transfer to pay for goods or services.

If you are foreigner, you will need to bring a document declaring the source of your income (e.g. certification of salary) to complete your overseas funds transfer.

Edited by Just Weird

On ‎3‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 3:33 PM, possum1931 said:

I know Colin personally, and he knows what immigration has said or meant through his wife, and she is

very highly educated and would understand exactly what immigration said or meant.

Good for you.  Happy to hear how "very highly educated" his wife is but, then, aren't all Thaivisa member's wives the same in terms of their higher education?

On ‎3‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 4:50 PM, marcusarelus said:

Bangkok bank transfers money out of Thailand to America every year for 20 years for me no problem and I don't have a work permit. 

Congratulations.

The Bank of Thailand requires every commercial bank to obtain documents from customers outlining the reasons for sending the funds abroad before completing the transaction. For example, you may need to provide an invoice if you make a funds transfer to pay for goods or services.

If you are foreigner, you will need to bring a document declaring the source of your income (e.g. certification of salary) to complete your overseas funds transfer.

2 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Congratulations.

Bangkok Bank - nothing about WP. 

To transfer funds overseas you will need the following information:

• The recipient’s account name, account number and address.
  • The name and address of the recipient’s bank.
  • The SWIFT address of the bank that they have an account with (if any).
  • Supporting document (for Thai citizens, a document stating the purpose of the fund transfer; for foreigners, a document stating the income’s source).
Edited by marcusarelus

23 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

A person who brings in the equivalent 500,000 baht from outside of the country can transfer that money out of Thailand no problem without a work permit.  At Bangkok Bank.  Or Dee money from Thailand to USA with no information required and done over the phone. 

"A person who brings in the equivalent 500,000 baht from outside of the country can transfer that money out of Thailand no problem without a work permit".

And no other supporting documentation?  Really, where did you get that gem from?

And I'm talking about transferring using a Thai bank, not Deemoney!  Deemoney can only send money to certain countries.

Edited by Just Weird

18 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

I've done it every year for 20 years at bank of Bangkok and I've never had a WP.  Explain?

Next question is withdraw 1,000,000 in Thai baht from the bank and buy USD and fly out of the country.  Any problems? 

What you are saying just does not make any sense.

So you've said once already.  You've seen the regs that the banks are supposed to abide by so you explain how you were able to do it with no documentation at all.

"Next question is withdraw 1,000,000 in Thai baht from the bank and buy USD and fly out of the country.  Any problems?"

Of course not, as long as you declare the USD on leaving to Customs.  There are no restrictions on making withdrawals from your own account, I never said that there were, what is being discussed is transferring money overseas from a Thai bank account.

12 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Bangkok Bank - nothing about WP. 

To transfer funds overseas you will need the following information:

• The recipient’s account name, account number and address.
  • The name and address of the recipient’s bank.
  • The SWIFT address of the bank that they have an account with (if any).
  • Supporting document (for Thai citizens, a document stating the purpose of the fund transfer; for foreigners, a document stating the income’s source).

"Supporting document (for Thai citizens, a document stating the purpose of the fund transfer; for foreigners, a document stating the income’s source)".

That means that you will be asked to show your WP, I know, I've tried.

10 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

"A person who brings in the equivalent 500,000 baht from outside of the country can transfer that money out of Thailand no problem without a work permit".

And no other supporting documentation?  Really, where did you get that gem from?

And I'm talking about transferring using a Thai bank, not Deemoney!  Deemoney can only send money to certain countries.

Transfer the money into Thailand and it states in your bank book where it came from.  No problem transferring it out. 

Dee money is a bank.  What difference that it does not go to every county.  That still proves you are wrong if it only goes to America.   

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Just Weird said:

"Supporting document (for Thai citizens, a document stating the purpose of the fund transfer; for foreigners, a document stating the income’s source)".

That means that you will be asked to show your WP, I know, I've tried.

I have never been asked for a work permit.  So you are wrong. 

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

So you've said once already.  You've seen the regs that the banks are supposed to abide by so you explain how you were able to do it with no documentation at all.

"Next question is withdraw 1,000,000 in Thai baht from the bank and buy USD and fly out of the country.  Any problems?"

Of course not, as long as you declare the USD on leaving to Customs.  There are no restrictions on making withdrawals from your own account, I never said that there were, what is being discussed is transferring money overseas from a Thai bank account.

The principle is the same.  Dee money is a bank too.  I'm not an expert.  I've transferred money from Thailand with no invoice every year to America and I don't have a work permit in a number of branches of Bangkok Bank.  Why?  Ask an expert like Pib I'm sure he can tell you or search on the banking forum. 

Edited by marcusarelus
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

For example, you may need to provide an invoice if you make a funds transfer to pay for goods or services.

Here is that "invoice" again for something which you haven't bought yet! This is why they wouldn't let me do a transfer.

What kind of document would show that your money has come from savings built up whilst working in the UK?

Edited by pr9spk
  • Confused 1

Why would anyone put their money in an untrustworthy banking system? 

Any scheme that would require me to plant my cash in a whimsical untrustworthy banking situation just to stay in the country is a sad joke and I wouldn't even consider it.

I am curious why you feel the Thai banking system is untrustworthy?

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Good for you.  Happy to hear how "very highly educated" his wife is but, then, aren't all Thaivisa member's wives the same in terms of their higher education?

No, Colins wife has senior position in a school, and my wife graduated from college at age 22 and has worked with the same insurance company ever since. 

"aren't all Thaivisa members wives the same in terms of their higher education?" Why don't you start a topic and ask them?

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, yang123 said:

And that is the key question isn't it?  

My experience with my bank would lead me to suspect that whatever document was presented would be refused, even if it was a signed and stamped original with an accompanying certified Thai translation - i.e. this is a method to prevent money flowing out of Thailand.

6 minutes ago, pr9spk said:

My experience with my bank would lead me to suspect that whatever document was presented would be refused, even if it was a signed and stamped original with an accompanying certified Thai translation - i.e. this is a method to prevent money flowing out of Thailand.

Have you ever transferred money out of Thailand?  Or are you another xenophobic poster.  I've transferred money from Bangkok bank every year for 20 years with no problem.  I have also transferred money in and it says right in my bank book foreign transfer - FT. 

BTW.  Did you get the account opened in Bangkok bank a few months ago that you were trying to do in Bangkok? 

Edited by marcusarelus

22 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Have you ever transferred money out of Thailand?  Or are you another xenophobic poster.  I've transferred money from Bangkok bank every year for 20 years with no problem.  I have also transferred money in and it says right in my bank book foreign transfer - FT. 

BTW.  Did you get the account opened in Bangkok bank a few months ago that you were trying to do in Bangkok? 

It's not Bangkok bank, and I am certainly not xenophobic, but just have experienced my bank immediately saying "cannot cannot" to any request I make.

• Like 1

On 3/4/2019 at 7:35 PM, smotherb said:

How many years ago was that you had a difficult time in Malaysia because nobody spoke English? Where is QL? Do you mean KL? The Brits started colonizing/interfering with the Malays in the late 1700's. Surely, you aren't that old. I traveled around Malaysia by train and car in 1967-68. Rarely encountered anyone without a British accent--from taxis drivers, to railway workers, to hotel and restaurant staff, to ladies of negotiable virtue; and one rather enticing young masseuse in Ipoh who insisted, "Lie still now, whilst I toss you off"

I am just curious, what does it means "whilst I toss you off"- does it means "I wvnk you off"- i never heard this expression "I toss you off". Was she doing a h job for you?

2 hours ago, pr9spk said:

It's not Bangkok bank, and I am certainly not xenophobic, but just have experienced my bank immediately saying "cannot cannot" to any request I make.

So you have never transferred money out of Thailand but your supposition is "that people can't because this is a method to prevent money flowing out of Thailand."

In 2018 Thailand sent $251 billion (USD) out of Thailand.  I'd say you fear things you don't understand like Thai banks.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

So you have never transferred money out of Thailand but your supposition is "that people can't because this is a method to prevent money flowing out of Thailand."

In 2018 Thailand sent $251 billion (USD) out of Thailand.  I'd say you fear things you don't understand like Thai banks.  

I certainly don't fear them, I just wish they would try and be a little more helpful.

5 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

Transfer the money into Thailand and it states in your bank book where it came from.  No problem transferring it out. 

Dee money is a bank.  What difference that it does not go to every county.  That still proves you are wrong if it only goes to America.   

Deemoney is not a retail bank!  That it cannot transfer to HK meant that I could not use it to pay the HK invoice had.  Kind of important in my case.

I am not wrong stating BoT regs that the banks are supposed to abide by and in some cases they do!  I know they do, as I have mentioned I had a transfer request to HK denied because of not having a WP so that actually proves that I'm right.  Jesus...