Expats in Thailand considering moving to Latin America prompted by Thai visa changes

Jingthing

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Visa and residency info about Panama for those interested.

I'm not interested mainly because in Panama City the rents are too darned high and I'm not attracted to any of alternatives outside of Panama City.

But some of you may be OK with the rents there or like the other areas.

Deleted.

Edited by Destiny1990

Anyway i would never make these long term retirement relocating decisions without living first some trial months in a Country.

If I wanted relocating to SA i would travel to various countries and cities in that continent before planning more things for longterm.

BTW on ur way out let Kittenkong tag along with you too because that person is also keen on citizenship offers.

Obviously it's desirable to try out a new destination.

Personally I feel I've spent enough time in my life in Mexico to feel comfortable with Mexico without much more time there.

But I haven't been to the two top choices on my short list there. But I think I have a reasonable idea of what they are like based on time in similar Mexican places.

But I haven't even been to Colombia.

I do think unless you are very wealthy that its necessary to narrow down potential choices with research before exploratory travel.

That is much easier to do than ever thank to the net.

I do have a short list based on my priorities and limitations and also my previous travel history which is extensive.

There is no right or wrong short list for all.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

Panama City is a fantastic beach city, recognized and acknowledged as such by credible sources.

https://internationalliving.com/top-5-popular-beach-towns-in-panama/

“In Panama, even those who choose to live in the bustling capital can enjoy the best of both worlds…city and beach.”

The address of the beach in the photo below is….wait for it….. Playa Bonita Panama, Panama City Panama. Only a few minutes from Downtown!  In fact Copacabana  is almost 1 hour from Rio business district, but close to crime ridden favelas.

image.jpeg.282976528e94e022ad7a10fecd066bdc.jpeg

Panama City is truly a wonderful coastal beach city.

There are also options all around the city.  Taboga Island of Flower, is one great option.

If people want to spend hours commuting to go sit in front of raw sewage in crime ridden Rio suburbs, or Lima and call this a beach experience, then that is their business.

Teaching moment over.

Edited by grifbel

From the credible Deutsche Welle  or DW is Germany's public international broadcaster.

https://www.dw.com/en/rio-residents-protest-favela-violence-on-copacabana-beach/a-39515273

Rio residents protest favela violence on Copacabana beach

Hundreds of favela residents have rallied on Rio de Janeiro's world-famous Copacabana beach, weary of the violence in the city's slums.

https://www.dreamstime.com/stock-images-favela-near-copacabana-rio-de-janeiro-view-brazil-image39549604

View of favela near Copacabana in Rio de Janeiro. Brazil

image.jpeg.46951a04109c8ce10b82bcc3174b51c1.jpeg

Edited by grifbel

On 5/17/2019 at 4:59 PM, Destiny1990 said:

Very nice informative link..

Florianopolis Brazil looks great and also Uruguay Montevideo However they all seem pricey places like 2500 pounds a month? That’s for a single person or family?

I still intend going there but for longterm staying financially  Spain and Vietnam and Ofcourse Thailand are way more affordable.

Yes, they do seem costly. I do think they are giving prices for at the least a couple, if not a family.

Their base city for comparison is London, yes well aware it is pricy there but they suggest an amount of 4500 pounds a month ( about 5715 US $ ) to live there. so annual London cost of 54000 pounds. Average salary in the UK is approx half that.

Their numbers are too high IMO.

The site is indeed aimed at working expats, as suggested by JT and I would add to that aimed at high earners.

USA - Mexico Border Crisis! :partytime2:

Interesting article largely focused on retired American expats in San Miguel de Allende.

I'm not personally interested in San Miguel but I do understand the appeal of having a built in large expat community.

The article includes unusually fleshed out info on the numbers of Americans in Mexico and the categories of Americans in Mexico (obviously including a lot of Mexican Americans).

It mentions that Mexico is lax on gringo illegal aliens.

I'm a little skeptical about that in practice, like if you got in trouble for something else I can't imagine that being there illegally would be in your favor. 

A detail of that that I learned from video is that if you go to Mexican hospital and can show either a temporary or permanent residence card, the charges will be lower than for tourists or obviously illegal residents without such a card. I don't know the exact percentage of the locals vs. tourists difference though.

Personally, I would not be comfortable living in any foreign country without legal status, but obviously lots of other people feel differently. 

The little-noticed surge across the U.S.-Mexico border: It’s Americans heading south  

SAN MIGUEL DE ALLENDE, Mexico —  Spanish friars brought the faith to this colonial city in Mexico’s central highlands.

The silver barons of the 18th century built its mansions.

Now comes the pickleball invasion.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/the_americas/the-little-noticed-surge-across-the-us-mexico-border-its-americans-heading-south/2019/05/18/7988421e-6c28-11e9-bbe7-1c798fb80536_story.html

Edited by Jingthing

Some related financial topics related to retiring abroad, to Latin America or wherever.

I read today an article in yahoo finance that 40 percent (think how many millions of people that is!) of Americans are headed to running out of money in retirement. What happens to such people? Don't answer. Lots of bad stuff obviously. Lost dignity at least. 

Retiring abroad to a lower cost nation is a potential solution to that problem either proactively or after the broke situation has hit hard (as long as there is still an income stream).

There was another thread here about Panama and the International Living company. International Living is notorious for hard selling not all that cheap overseas real estate to oldies, mostly Americans. 

So think about that.

Say you're already quite old. Why would you pay a lot of cash for real estate at home or abroad that from an actuarial POV you're probably not going to be living in for long enough to justify the purchase.

Of course it's different if you're age 50, but what if you're 70?

Based on age, and needing to pay cash, that kind of thinking has got to come in the picture. Pointing to renting. 

Personally well I'm not as old as 70 but if I did buy real estate abroad (again) it would need to be a ridiculously good deal and also not a significant percentage of my net worth. Which is possible in a place like Colombia with very favorable exchange rates, but then it would be a smaller place to keep with the net worth criteria. So even then, why lock in a small place when you can not tie up the cash and afford to live in a larger place but renting? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Speaking of International Living (thanks for the heads up to Puchaiyank) here is their famous (or infamous?) 2019 Best Retirement Destinations. Yes, Thailand is on the lower part of the list, but look at all the Latin American nations on there too. As expected, Nicaragua is off such lists and it's not clear when (if ever) it will be back on them.

https://www.maxim.com/style/top-10-places-to-retire-2019-1

These Are the Top 10 Places to Retire in 2019, Ranked

Edited by Jingthing

It's not news now that Thai visa new rules with embassy letters, income method rules without letters, massively confusing combo method, and more onerous rules for the retirement bank method are prompting many, many expats, some that have been here for several years to look elsewhere. 

For those leaving or considering leaving Thailand the most popular choices are most likely some other nations in Asean or back to their home country.

But it's a big, big world, and there are other choices. For example Portugal, Spain, Malta, and Cyprus mostly of interest to Europeans. 

Then there is Latin America. Most people considering Latin America are from the U.S. and Canada but it's really not that far from Europe either, and Latin America along with Asean are the most ripe regions for lower cost expatriation, retirement, etc. on the planet.

This thread is intended to ONLY be about Latin American destinations. Nothing about other Asean nations, nothing about Europe, Africa, or any other region, OK?

So now that I've introduced this topic, I want to say there are THAILAND specific issues with moving to Latin America. 

A major example is a number of the Latin American nations require translated and apostle documents about your police record if you've been living in Thailand, and probably from your home country as well. At this point in time, how exactly do you get that document for each country? Can you still get it after you've moved from Thailand? There will be time limits on such documents, so if you get it here, you need to rush to make your Latin American application (when required). 

Now to actual DESTINTATIONS. 

I think it's fair to assume the majority of expats in Thailand looking at Latin American choices are seeking places that have lower level financial requirements. (So Brazil would likely not be very popular as their requirements are higher.)

Beyond that, we all have (or should have if we are shopping for a new country) our individual list of priorities for a new country and specific place in the new country.

That will vary with each individual.

I will post mine in a separate post.

So this thread is a open ended general discussion about both generalities and specifics covering the topic of current expats in Thailand considering moving to nations in Latin America. It can also include people that were planning on moving to Thailand but considering the recent developments, are now looking more seriously at Latin America.

Participation by people with first hand experiences living in various places in Latin America of course very welcome. 

Lol the visa requirements are actually now easier for those of us who meet the requirements so I’m never going anywhere but bye bye to those of you who are lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

8 minutes ago, JohnK777 said:

Lol the visa requirements are actually now easier for those of us who meet the requirements so I’m never going anywhere but bye bye to those of you who are lol.

Good for you if you feel that way. 

I can't relate. I have always met fully met the legal requirements and now things are much worse.

Objectively. No embassy letters. Combo method more complicated and problematic. Seasoning rules for bank method expanded greatly (now basically covering the entire year).

The new health insurance changes seem unclear at this point in time, we'll see about that (other threads). 

But this isn't a visa discussion topic per se. Go elsewhere for that. 

Some people (like me) feel the visa rules have gone too far. Also some of us (like me) are looking for more residence security in a new country which Thailand never offers based on retirement status. (In other words, a path to permanent residence and/or citizenship.)
If that isn't you, that's cool. No argument whatsover. 

Even if you're happy with the new visa regime here, it also sounds like you're not interested in Latin America. That's cool too. No argument. 

I've never promoted this topic as being for everyone. It's clearly not for you. Cool. Bye.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

Good for you if you feel that way. 
I can't relate. I have always met fully met the legal requirements and now things are much worse.
Objectively. No embassy letters. Combo method more complicated and problematic. Seasoning rules for bank method expanded greatly (now basically covering the entire year).
The new health insurance changes seem unclear at this point in time, we'll see about that (other threads). 
But this isn't a visa discussion topic per se. Go elsewhere for that. 
Some people (like me) feel the visa rules have gone too far. Also some of us (like me) are looking for more residence security in a new country which Thailand never offers based on retirement status. (In other words, a path to permanent residence and/or citizenship.)
If that isn't you, that's cool. No argument whatsover. 
Even if you're happy with the new visa regime here, it also sounds like you're not interested in Latin America. That's cool too. No argument. 
I've never promoted this topic as being for everyone. It's clearly not for you. Cool. Bye.

Nope it’s clearly not now all you have to do is just show them your Thai bank records. Easy. That’s a lot easier than driving several hours to the embassy in Bangkok just to buy a piece of paper from them to prove your income to immigration now it’s just a short and simple trip to the bank and it’s all done in my local city. But you’re right clearly this topic is not for me at all. If you could meet the extension requirements then you would not be having any problems. It’s really not that hard at all. Do enjoy South America or wherever you’re going though send me a post card. Good bye now [emoji2].

14 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Some related financial topics related to retiring abroad, to Latin America or wherever.

I read today an article in yahoo finance that 40 percent (think how many millions of people that is!) of Americans are headed to running out of money in retirement. What happens to such people? Don't answer. Lots of bad stuff obviously. Lost dignity at least. 

Retiring abroad to a lower cost nation is a potential solution to that problem either proactively or after the broke situation has hit hard (as long as there is still an income stream).

There was another thread here about Panama and the International Living company. International Living is notorious for hard selling not all that cheap overseas real estate to oldies, mostly Americans. 

So think about that.

Say you're already quite old. Why would you pay a lot of cash for real estate at home or abroad that from an actuarial POV you're probably not going to be living in for long enough to justify the purchase.

Of course it's different if you're age 50, but what if you're 70?

Based on age, and needing to pay cash, that kind of thinking has got to come in the picture. Pointing to renting. 

Personally well I'm not as old as 70 but if I did buy real estate abroad (again) it would need to be a ridiculously good deal and also not a significant percentage of my net worth. Which is possible in a place like Colombia with very favorable exchange rates, but then it would be a smaller place to keep with the net worth criteria. So even then, why lock in a small place when you can not tie up the cash and afford to live in a larger place but renting?

Might be able to buy a hotel in Argentina for your pocket change.  2015 - 5 peso to the dollar now 45

1 hour ago, JohnK777 said:

Based on what happened with our ancestors at some point you too will go to somewhere else.

More background on the Colombian health system available to expats. There isn't much new here for people that have been following this on this thread, but there is a recurring grey area. How much exactly is the buy in for the government plan (which BTW includes medical, dental, and meds)? Some sources say 12 percent of income and some say a set very low fee, perhaps 30 dollars a month, perhaps 70. Now if it's 12 percent of a large claimed income that's a lot to pay for buy in to a government program! It's not a huge concern for people with lower income though but still it would be good to know exactly why some people say a small set fee and some say a percentage.

So the basic framework which there isn't much question about is that if you move to Colombia and get your cedula (ID card) which is something very useful to function at all there then you are "required" to enter the government health plan which is a buy in deal. Then you have the option of buying an add on private plan which is a great idea to do if you can get it but you'd be banned from that option being over about age 62, or possibly denied younger based on preexisting conditions. 

As a reminder once you get a retirement visa (and presumably other options) you are required to get your cedula very quickly under threat of a large financial penalty if you don't. 

The government plan accepts people of all ages and conditions. 

I'm not aware of any enforcement scheme to force expats once they get their cedula to sign up for the required health system. Presumably most of them want to do that anyway, but that's another grey area.

This guy decided to buy a private plan before he got his cedula, which obviously you can do. Presumably later he later entered the required public system as well when he got his cedula. As he says he's in his 50s and very healthy, no problem to do that.

Non-Americans can ignore the stuff about Cobra. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

More background on the Colombian health system available to expats. There isn't much new here for people that have been following this on this thread, but there is a recurring grey area. How much exactly is the buy in for the government plan (which BTW includes medical, dental, and meds)? Some sources say 12 percent of income and some say a set very low fee, perhaps 30 dollars a month, perhaps 70. Now if it's 12 percent of a large claimed income that's a lot to pay for buy in to a government program! It's not a huge concern for people with lower income though but still it would be good to know exactly why some people say a small set fee and some say a percentage.

So the basic framework which there isn't much question about is that if you move to Colombia and get your cedula (ID card) which is something very useful to function at all there then you are "required" to enter the government health plan which is a buy in deal. Then you have the option of buying an add on private plan which is a great idea to do if you can get it but you'd be banned from that option being over about age 62, or possibly denied younger based on preexisting conditions. 

As a reminder once you get a retirement visa (and presumably other options) you are required to get your cedula very quickly under threat of a large financial penalty if you don't. 

The government plan accepts people of all ages and conditions. 

I'm not aware of any enforcement scheme to force expats once they get their cedula to sign up for the required health system. Presumably most of them want to do that anyway, but that's another grey area.

This guy decided to buy a private plan before he got his cedula, which obviously you can do. Presumably later he later entered the required public system as well when he got his cedula. As he says he's in his 50s and very healthy, no problem to do that.

Non-Americans can ignore the stuff about Cobra. 

Your not from Europe may i assume that since you’re not looking into Southern European Countries?

• Like 1

On 5/18/2019 at 8:39 PM, grifbel said:

Panama City is a fantastic beach city, recognized and acknowledged as such by credible sources.

https://internationalliving.com/top-5-popular-beach-towns-in-panama/

“In Panama, even those who choose to live in the bustling capital can enjoy the best of both worlds…city and beach.”

The address of the beach in the photo below is….wait for it….. Playa Bonita Panama, Panama City Panama. Only a few minutes from Downtown!  In fact Copacabana  is almost 1 hour from Rio business district, but close to crime ridden favelas.

image.jpeg.282976528e94e022ad7a10fecd066bdc.jpeg

Panama City is truly a wonderful coastal beach city.

There are also options all around the city.  Taboga Island of Flower, is one great option.

If people want to spend hours commuting to go sit in front of raw sewage in crime ridden Rio suburbs, or Lima and call this a beach experience, then that is their business.

Teaching moment over.

Just got back from Panama last night.  "Wonderful" and "fantastic" strike me as a bit of an oversell but maybe I'm just jaded.  Prefer Rio beaches but overall Panama does offer more.  Agree Lima is pretty much a sh1thole.   

• Like 1

On 5/18/2019 at 12:09 PM, Jingthing said:

Beaches NEAR Panama City. Again, Panama City Panama (unlike Panama City Florida) is NOT a beach city. Rio de Janeiro IS a beach city. If the water is dirty, OK, but the Cariocas still go to the beach regularly in droves and if nothing else, you can feast on the eye candy. Cartagena Colombia IS a beach city. Panama City Panama is a city where you can take EXCURSIONS to beaches or you could move to Coronado.  People may want to move to Panama City for a lot of good reasons, but one of those reasons is not that it is a beach city because it is not. 

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Guide-g294480-k4694-Panama_City_Panama_Province.html

The whole myth of the Rio beaches being filled with supermodels in bikinis was long ago debunked as a tourism publicity stunt based on that Ipanema song.  Amazing that many still fall for it.  The reality is much more a favela surrounded, sewage plagued beach filled with obese people, living the dream.  Many of them are retirees from Sao Paulo.  Lots of thieves target the beaches as well. (check reviews on tripadvisor)

https://www.ibtimes.com/obesity-rates-soaring-brazil-prosperity-flourishes-436768

Edited by grifbel
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Oliver Holzerfilled said:

Just got back from Panama last night.  "Wonderful" and "fantastic" strike me as a bit of an oversell but maybe I'm just jaded.  Prefer Rio beaches but overall Panama does offer more.  Agree Lima is pretty much a sh1thole.   

That's a very aristocratic username with a Hapsburg like appeal.  Maybe if you added a "Von" in the middle, it would complete the package.

In fact there is not a single water front hotel in Copacabana (all separated by road), let alone one that can match the quality of that Panama City place.

17 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Bye. 

---

Anyone that wants to hijack this topic into a visa rule changes discussion, just don't. There are multiple threads about that.

This focus of this thread is about destination options in Latin America for those that might actually be interested in considering that. 

It's an Excellent topic...brilliant for starting it!  Very helpful! There are many folks that are reevaluating their circumstances, and if Thailand will play any role in their future as they seek ways to improve their quality of life.

• Like 2

Your not from Europe may i assume that since you’re not looking into Southern European Countries?

Yes I'm American.

I have researched pretty much all options that might work roughly under retired expat status including in Europe east and west.

There is another topic on the forum on European options.

There are always topics on Asean options such as Vietnam.

This thread is indeed limited only to Latin American options and yes personally some of them do seem to be more realistic options for me based on my priorities and financial situation in case I do leave Thailand.

I have been clear all along there is no one right or wrong destination choice for everyone.

It's an Excellent topic...brilliant for starting it!  Very helpful! There are many folks that are reevaluating their circumstances, and if Thailand will play any role in their future as they seek ways to improve their quality of life.

Thank you.

I am hoping over time we can attract people that are actually going through the process of moving from Thailand to specific Latin American nations.

Why could that be important?

First the perspectives of people with the Thailand experience reacting to the new country.

They would have a different perspective than people directly expatriating there from a place like Canada for example.

Secondly some of the Latin American nations require documents from Thailand as well as also possibly from the home passport country.

The practical details of getting the documents from Thailand may vary depending on the target destination.

Cheers.

Colombian food isn't very well known internationally compared to Mexican food. In my limited experience the soups are their strongest point. I'm sure the coastal food featuring fresh seafood is great too (but for me living on the coast there isn't appealing compared to the year round spring weather places). With my only experience being some Colombian restaurants (but good ones), overall I think I'm not very thrilled with their food, certainly not with it being the main "stuck with it" option. Not enough spice. Not enough vegetables. Seems perhaps unhealthy. Showing some classic Paisa region and Colombian dishes you can see how wonderful the Ajiaco soup dish is here featured by some flaming gringos. Also like the guy in the video I'm not into chicharron but Paisa region Colombians are wild about it so it's considered impolite to say you hate it (but I really do hate it).  

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Colombian food isn't very well known internationally compared to Mexican food. In my limited experience the soups are their strongest point. I'm sure the coastal food featuring fresh seafood is great too (but for me living on the coast there isn't appealing compared to the year round spring weather places). With my only experience being some Colombian restaurants (but good ones), overall I think I'm not very thrilled with their food, certainly not with it being the main "stuck with it" option. Not enough spice. Not enough vegetables. Seems perhaps unhealthy. Showing some classic Paisa region and Colombian dishes you can see how wonderful the Ajiaco soup dish is here featured by some flaming gringos. Also like the guy in the video I'm not into chicharron but Paisa region Colombians are wild about it so it's considered impolite to say you hate it (but I really do hate it).  
[/url]  

If you’re going to Columbia make sure you have kidnap and ransom insurance and a little bit of SERE training would probably be a good idea as well. That’s a high risk country.

If you’re going to Columbia make sure you have kidnap and ransom insurance and a little bit of SERE training would probably be a good idea as well. That’s a high risk country.

It's classified at about the same risk as Mexico where between a million and two million Americans live. We've been through the over the top largely passe fear mongering about Colombia ad nauseum here. Medellin vs. St. Louis? Which is safer do you reckon? It depends on specifically where you're moving, the specific neighborhood there, your behavior as in having common sense, and if course luck.

• Like 1

Well since I’ve been all over the world including Mexico and South America (Guyana, Columbia, Ecuador, and a few others) I can tell you yeah it’s pretty bad, maybe not as bad as Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria, Somalia, Yemen, and many other countries were that I’ve also been to but it’s still pretty dangerous there and yeah Mexico included. People disappear there all the time and no you don’t always hear about it in the news. No area city there is 100% guaranteed to be safe like a lot of other countries.

Even in northern Iraq we at least had a few cities in the north such as Sulaymaniyah and Irbil that were fairly safe areas. Not so much in Columbia. Of course I haven’t been there in almost 20 years so hopefully it’s changed for the better by now but not from what I hear, I hear it’s still just as bad today maybe even worse than when I was last there. I’m retired military I spent my career in Special Operations units. I’ve been to multiple countries in Africa as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• Sad 1

It's classified at about the same risk as Mexico where between a million and two million Americans live. We've been through the over the top largely passe fear mongering about Colombia ad nauseum here. Medellin vs. St. Louis? Which is safer do you reckon? It depends on specifically where you're moving, the specific neighborhood there, your behavior as in having common sense, and if course luck.  

Well since I’ve been all over the world including Mexico and South America (Guyana, Columbia, Ecuador, and a few others) I can tell you yeah it’s pretty bad, maybe not as bad as Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria, Somalia, Yemen, and many other countries were that I’ve also been to but it’s still pretty dangerous there and yeah Mexico included. People disappear there all the time and no you don’t always hear about it in the news. No area city there is 100% guaranteed to be safe like a lot of other countries. 

Even in northern Iraq we at least had a few cities in the north such as Sulaymaniyah and Irbil that were fairly safe areas. Not so much in Columbia. Of course I haven’t been there in almost 20 years so hopefully it’s changed for the better by now but not from what I hear, I hear it’s still just as bad today maybe even worse than when I was last there. I’m retired military I spent my career in Special Operations units. I’ve been to multiple countries in Africa as well. 

Well since I’ve been all over the world including Mexico and South America (Guyana, Columbia, Ecuador, and a few others) I can tell you yeah it’s pretty bad, maybe not as bad as Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria, Somalia, Yemen, and many other countries were that I’ve also been to but it’s still pretty dangerous there and yeah Mexico included. People disappear there all the time and no you don’t always hear about it in the news. No area city there is 100% guaranteed to be safe like a lot of other countries.

Even in northern Iraq we at least had a few cities in the north such as Sulaymaniyah and Irbil that were fairly safe areas. Not so much in Columbia. Of course I haven’t been there in almost 20 years so hopefully it’s changed for the better by now but not from what I hear, I hear it’s still just as bad today maybe even worse than when I was last there. I’m retired military I spent my career in Special Operations units. I’ve been to multiple countries in Africa as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Your info is very outdated. It's a major tourist destination now and growing. It's reasonably safe in the major tourism destinations which also happen to be the major expat destinations. For people that are afraid to travel there then don't go.