If alcohol were illegal, would you still live here?

Boomhauer

The only issue with alcohol is alcoholism in public. It’s a nuisance to law enforcement and the medical community. Alcoholism becomes a nuisance to everyone including the alcoholic. To that note, it’s nice to enjoy a beer on holiday with friends!

Edited by Winky Wilson
  • Thanks 1

obviously I would not live here.  Not only for my own consumption issues but the fact that once again people in Thailand can not do what they like to do.  The continuous evaporation of freedoms that I have seen happen here in the last 19 years I have been here.  Good food only goes so far. 

• Thanks 1

"If alcohol were illegal, would you still live here?"

Yes, as a life long non drinker, I do not need alcohol to enjoy my life here in Thailand.

No harm to those who enjoy a social drink, but there is no need at all for those who

regularly get drunk in public to carry on like that,  in the thirteen years I have been in Thailand. the

majority of my expat friends have only been social drinkers, the ones with the drink problem are now dead.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, robblok said:

No... not everyone needs it. I certainly don't. Taste wise beer is crap (almost all beer IMHO) give me a nice mango juice or something like that with crushed ice. 

I know not a popular reply but taste wise I never liked beer not even when I was young. I just drank it to get drunk and after a few beers you don't taste the bad taste anymore. 

Can't say I ever drank beer for the taste. 

I know I am a small minority that does not like the taste of it. I like the effect of alcohol at times.. but the taste.. nope.

Can't comment on that as I have never tasted it, but the smell and look of it put me off even starting.

22 hours ago, Boomhauer said:

I am one of those that panic. I need to drink everyday. Not much mind you, just a bottle or two does me but I still need it every day.

If you need to drink every day then you have a problem.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Enki said:

Go to a mom and pop shop, they usually don't care. Can't be so hard to say "Beer Leo, Sam Kuat, khrap!" insert number as appropriated.

I know that script all too well. Now it has gotten to the point that as soon as I am seen coming towards the shop the staff immediately put two big Leos in a black bag; I don't even need to open my mouth, but I always say thank you.

I don't like all the judgmental comments about 'if alcohol rules your life to that degree you have a problem'.

The real issue we need to address is just why the quality of Thai alcohol, and beer in particular, is so lame. But on that note, as in so many other realms, the black market always comes to the rescue.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

If you need to drink every day then you have a problem.

I drink because it relaxes me. As stated before I have two small bottles of beer per day and that does it for me. I can start my drinking at 8pm and make each small bottle last an hour. 

I personally do not see that as a problem.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, stephen tracy said:

I think the sentiment is that a government doesn't have the right to tell adults of legal age whether or not they can have a drink more than anything else. Like on election days or religious holidays. If people want to drink, it should be up to them. 

"If people want to drink, it should be up to them." Of course it should, but the law should come down on people who get drunk and incapable in public, I emphasis incapable. 

4 hours ago, BobBKK said:

Part of life's enjoyment... a nice glass of wine.  Some like a drink, some like a smoke, some like to dress as a female and some like their own sex. Who cares? Part of the lure of living here is some freedom (which the current dinosaurs are trying to reduce). Live and let live.

Yes, I agree. Live and let live, but never cause any harm to ordinary decent people.

11 minutes ago, Boomhauer said:

I drink because it relaxes me. As stated before I have two small bottles of beer per day and that does it for me. I can start my drinking at 8pm and make each small bottle last an hour. 

I personally do not see that as a problem.

If you need, "that is the word you used", to drink every day, even two small bottles, then you have a problem, we will just have to agree to disagree on this.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, manarak said:

if they banned alcohol completely, I would probably not live here anymore.

the reason for leaving would not be the alcohol ban in itself but the unacceptable restriction in personal freedom. if they banned alcohol, they would go on and also ban a ton of other things which are absolutely not the government's business, so it would be bye bye

But there already are!

7 minutes ago, malibukid said:

don't drink.  makes you stupid.  don't understand why people like it?

I like it because it relaxes me. I haven't been drunk/hungover for years.

I find that used in moderation and at a calm pace it is a very pleasant experience.

• Thanks 1

Wine, women, and song - sex, drugs, rock and roll.  Am still living the hedonistic dream.   

Many things in Thailand illegal, such as the "worlds oldest profession " yet amazingly not all that effectively enforced

Edited by Skallywag

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

If you need, "that is the word you used", to drink every day, even two small bottles, then you have a problem, we will just have to agree to disagree on this.

Then Trans has a ploblem......But then I enjoy my ploblem every day. I just Rock On....????

i dont think i would live in thailand if alcahol was banned???

alcahol causes far far less problems here, than it does in the western world..

i have never been a daily drinker, but i enjoy the lady bars, one night per week.

i do notice that life in the countries where alcahol is banned, seems to be fairly happy..

18 minutes ago, murraynz said:

i dont think i would live in thailand if alcahol was banned???

alcahol causes far far less problems here, than it does in the western world..

i have never been a daily drinker, but i enjoy the lady bars, one night per week.

i do notice that life in the countries where alcahol is banned, seems to be fairly happy..

Which are..?

9 hours ago, wwest5829 said:

red wine has been shown to be beneficial to a healthier heart?

You can drink alcohol free wine, it's not the alcohol that contains antioxidants. 

5 hours ago, Skallywag said:

Wine, women, and song - sex, drugs, rock and roll.  Am still living the hedonistic dream.   

Many things in Thailand illegal, such as the "worlds oldest profession " yet amazingly not all that effectively enforced

freelance prostitution is not illegal in Thailand. time to put that urban legend to rest.