UK government loses House of Lords vote calling for EU customs union

webfact

UK government loses House of Lords vote calling for EU customs union

2019-03-06T215231Z_1_LYNXNPEF2522X_RTROPTP_4_BRITAIN-EU.JPG

FILE PHOTO: An Anti-Brexit demonstrator protests outside the Houses of Parliament, in Westminster, London, Britain March 4, 2019. REUTERS/Hannah McKay/File Photo

LONDON (Reuters) - Britain's House of Lords passed an amendment on Wednesday calling for the government to negotiate a customs union with the European Union, giving Prime Minister Theresa May a potential new headache in her Brexit plans.

The upper parliamentary chamber backed a cross-party amendment to a trade bill, calling for the government to take all steps to enable the United Kingdom to participate in a new EU customs union after it leaves the bloc.

May has ruled out any such union which would be an anathema to eurosceptic lawmakers in her Conservative Party, although the idea has the support of some pro-EU Conservatives and the opposition Labour Party.

The Trade Bill, which focuses on transposing outside countries' trade deals with the EU into bilateral deals with Britain, is due to be passed before Britain leaves the bloc on March 29.

The Lords' amendment can be overturned by parliament's elected House of Commons but it means lawmakers could now have a vote on the issue and boost the hopes of those who want a Brexit which sees Britain still closely aligned to the EU.

May's divorce deal was overwhelmingly rejected by lawmakers in January and she has promised to bring back a revised version by March 12, although talks at securing changes have made no headway according to EU officials.

If her treaty is rejected again, lawmakers will then be given the chance to vote for a no-deal Brexit and for extending the date of the divorce.

(Reporting by Michael Holdenl editing by Jonathan Oatis)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-03-07

2 hours ago, melvinmelvin said:

Interesting to watch a parliament at work in unison in order to secure the best future for the UK.

You think the House of Geriatrics work in unison with anyone...

...quaint Scandinavian naivety.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 4

2 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

Sometimes when I'm in despair over US politics, I read something on Brexit

.....it almost enough to make Trump look like Einstein 

Do some research on who was involved in Trump’s victory in a corrupted election and who was involved in the Brexit victory in a referendum mired in electoral fraud.

There’s a dozen coincident names of individuals and organizations.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, champers said:

So the UK's non elected chamber want to overturn a vote that rejected the country being stymied by non elected European entities. Hello? Democracy anyone?

It's what the people voted on.  According to some, democracy means we now have to stick with the lies we were told.  Easy deal etc. etc.  Not my interpretation of democracy but it's an easy flag to wave for some.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, champers said:

Both sides told lies, as is the norm when the nation votes. Voters excercise their judgement and everyone should abide by the outcome. Parliament should come together to expedite the will of the people.

I voted Remain, but accept the majority vote, whilst not accepting it as a call to arms for xenophobes. Most of the UK electorate is centrist. The form of Brexit ought to reflect that.

I get that and both sides lied.  And if Brexit was going to be what the people voted for then then I would accept it without question.  What people voted for isn't anything like what they are getting though.  Trade description act anyone?

If I bought a BMW on line and got a 1973 Lada delivered I would be unlikely to accept it, shrug my shoulders and  reach for the T-Cut.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

Sometimes when I'm in despair over US politics, I read something on Brexit

.....it almost enough to make Trump look like Einstein 

yes, you in America owe a lot to your European ancestry