UK PM May to EU: Agree to backstop changes or risk disorderly Brexit

webfact

45 minutes ago, Topdoc said:

Firstly, GDP is an unreliable indicator of economic prosperity. If the EU had some intelligence and measured the Marginal Productivity of Debt instead, they would realise that they are sleepwalking into economic collapse.

Secondly, why did the ECB, whose balance sheet now represents a staggering 40.5% of Europe's GDP, launch another monetary stimulus yesterday (quasi QE) in the form of TLTRO (targeted longer-term refinancing operations) to fight the growing Eurozone slowdown just months after ending its AP (asset purchase-QE) in December 2018?

Thirdly, according to free-market economist Patrick Minford, The Common Agricultural Policy (CAP) costs the UK 0.5 per cent of GDP, and in economic and budgetary terms is probably the most costly factor of EU membership.

"Thirdly, according to free-market economist Patrick Minford, The Common Agricultural Policy (CAP) costs the UK 0.5 per cent of GDP, and in economic and budgetary terms is probably the most costly factor of EU membership."

I'm pretty sure that only those benefiting from CAP poliicy, support it.....

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Agree entirely ????!

image.png.2af654507cf7fd90d4f5bb0c1650c241.pngsmth went wrong, may be duplicate

anyway

Congrats with the day DD,

hope you found something meaningful and enjoyable to do.

Wasting all day on Brexit is not worth it.

cheers

8 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

image.png.2af654507cf7fd90d4f5bb0c1650c241.pngsmth went wrong, may be duplicate

anyway

Congrats with the day DD,

hope you found something meaningful and enjoyable to do.

Wasting all day on Brexit is not worth it.

cheers

I'm stuck at home today trying to get my aquarium probs. sorted out and consequently getting pissed.....

Not sure why you think I'm "Wasting all day on Brexit"  as I've rarely posted today?

edit - have to admit that I must be v. pissed as one of my dogs became over-protective towards me when the workmen came back ☹️.

Edited by dick dasterdly

4 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Scotland's first minister Sturgeon was told very clearly that Scotland, part of the UK, will leave when the UK leaves. She was also told clearly an independent  Scotland could apply for membership but would be treated strictly as any new applicant - Join the queue and meet all criteria.

Google the Scottish budget deficits. Watch Sturgeon being grilled on youtube about it if you want a laugh.

Everything would change. I think Scotland could mirror Denmark.

Certainly taxes would be higher and Scots would make much more from their products. 

And dont forget, for centuries, Scots have produced some of the best brains in the world!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_inventions_and_discoveries

Maxwell is god!

( you need to understand Div and Curl 

IMG_3305.JPG

Edited by Grouse

11 hours ago, Topdoc said:

In the absence of a miraculous breakthrough in the talks, there is only one sustainable solution: a clean break with the EU. And if you really study the details, you will see that EU membership has made little difference to UK prosperity.

Remember the economic situation the UK was in 1970-75: a disaster, the "poor man of Europe". Therefore 5 June 1975: 67,23 % in favour of the EU.

See how many companies already set up a foot-hole in continentalEU. Just a 3 weeks to go, and the entire British car export = 0. Mini to Netherlands, Honda back to Japan ( seen EU -Japan agreement for car import duty), Nissin ? ?

• Like 1

Many in the EU still hope the UK won't leave. But the useless British politicians are so far up their own anuses they won't even see that.

Why ? European medicine Instutute already to Amsterdam, and a LOT or industries to follow; Mini to Netherlands, Honda back to Japan ( Japan agreement zero duty on imported cars), Nisson ? ? Airbus.. will leave, and many, many others. Beef, pork, chicken fish export to EU: forget it. 

Continental EU thanks the British for chasing all these industries away.

9 hours ago, mfd101 said:

Well, so much for the Irish.

The UK proved the value of their contacts: just 20 years after Good Friday agreement.. in which was written: NEVER a border between North and South, the British break it.

No, I'm not suggesting other countries haven't joined. However there is a queue.

"There are five recognised candidates for future membership of the European Union:Turkey (applied on 14 April 1987), Macedonia (applied on 22 March 2004),Montenegro (applied in 2008), Albania (applied in 2009), and Serbia (applied in 2009). All except Albania and Macedonia have started accession negotiations." Source: Wiki.

Iceland also applied for full membership in July 2009. 

Doesn't appear to be a quick process does it?

And what currency do you think an independent Scotland will be using? Smackeronies?

Scotland will be a shoe in

What's not to like?

The Scots will be welcomed with open arms!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Topdoc said:

Firstly, GDP is an unreliable indicator of economic prosperity. If the EU had some intelligence and measured the Marginal Productivity of Debt instead, they would realise that they are sleepwalking into economic collapse.

Secondly, why did the ECB, whose balance sheet now represents a staggering 40.5% of Europe's GDP, launch another monetary stimulus yesterday (quasi QE) in the form of TLTRO (targeted longer-term refinancing operations) to fight the growing Eurozone slowdown just months after ending its AP (asset purchase-QE) in December 2018?

Thirdly, according to free-market economist Patrick Minford, The Common Agricultural Policy (CAP) costs the UK 0.5 per cent of GDP, and in economic and budgetary terms is probably the most costly factor of EU membership.

You were doing fine until you mentioned Minford! Hahaha! What a donkey. The man was Thatcher's demolition of much of the country. He now has a job in some Welsh university.

GDP is far from an ideal measure, I agree. PPP is more useful for example.

The point remains that the U.K. Has done well as part of the European block after losing the empire.

Minford! Ha! Ha! ????

35 minutes ago, puipuitom said:

The UK proved the value of their contacts: just 20 years after Good Friday agreement.. in which was written: NEVER a border between North and South, the British break it.

Really? I thought that the border/backstop was an EU invention.

The UK has said many times that they DON'T want a border but the EU says there must be when the UK leaves.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-politics-44615404

But, after Brexit, all that could change - the two parts of Ireland could be in different customs and regulatory regimes, which could mean products being checked at the border.

The UK government does not want this to happen. The EU has also said it does not want any hardening of the border.

However, the UK's current red lines, which include leaving the customs union and the single market, make that very difficult.

• Like 2

Same old SNP style dismissal of reality.

Reality - Scotland is a part of a country called the UK. It doesn't matter what % of people in Scotland or any other part of the UK want to remain because of the flawed advisory referendum which ignore our representative democracy process which gives a better across the board representation of views.

Scotland is not and has not been a member of the EU at all. It is not a sovereign nation.

Your believe, is too be honest, wishful thinking. Have you ever seen a clear plan from any Scottish political party demonstrating precisely how all the criteria could be met?

Why the negativity Baerboxer? Do you have something against the Scots? Is it the kilt that worries you?

Maybe you just want to keep the "hated so called United Kingdom" together (to paraphrase Nontabury)?

If England goes through with leaving the EU, I think Scotland will leave the U.K. And then join the EU. I think Scotland is much closer to Northern European social democracy than Anglo American attitudes. And, NI will reunite with the republic.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, melvinmelvin said:

I find Starmer's comments somewhat meaningless. By all means, he is probably right.

But what is needed now are comments aimed at moving parliament towards

a majority view on something.

Comments like TM is crap from the 2nd largest party in the UK ain't helpful

in finding a meaningful end to the Brexit mess.

Wonder why he offers such, due to stubbornness or

a conscious decision to further maximising the crisis in the parliament.

Spot on. The vast majority of MPs spend all their energy on criticising the opposition - points scoring. If they focused entirely on trying to reach a compromise for the sake of the country, we'd not be in this mess. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

"Thirdly, according to free-market economist Patrick Minford, The Common Agricultural Policy (CAP) costs the UK 0.5 per cent of GDP, and in economic and budgetary terms is probably the most costly factor of EU membership."

I'm pretty sure that only those benefiting from CAP poliicy, support it.....

Go on, amaze me!

Explain the advantages and disadvantage of a common agricultural policy.

On my desk, Monday morning before tutorial.

3 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

Spot on. The vast majority of MPs spend all their energy on criticising the opposition - points scoring. If they focused entirely on trying to reach a compromise for the sake of the country, we'd not be in this mess. 

for the rest of your living years you are going to see parliament in this mess regardless of what happens,but if its a crash out and scotland wants out of the UK then brexit will be seen as a walk in the park.

• Haha 1

Unless you have given up British nationality then like me, you are a British citizen as defined on your passport.

Scotland, Wales, Inner London, the Isle of Shepey, Manchester or any other area cannot simply make a UDI. That could only happen with the consent of the government, and that is the government of the UK.

No matter how people want to re-write history and pretend otherwise, that's the situation we find ourselves in.

I do not consider it democracy for any small group in any country to try and dictate their will on the entire population of that country. 

First a majority of Scots would have to want to leave the UK. If that was the case the rest of the UK would have to agree. All the people are affected and have an interest.

So same with Ireland? The South gets a vote on reunion?

2 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

Funniest comment I've read in a long time!

Try telling that to a few of the remainer posters on this forum,  who pretty much rely on stupid/morons/uneducated etc. etc. against those with a different opinion ????.

You are quite wrong

I frequently differ with others and do not accuse them of being morons

Brexit is a different matter. For an issue as important as this it annoys me that Brexiters frequently demonstrate a lack of knowledge; in fact they frequently flaunt their lack of education as a faux badge of honour to enable acceptance by others of that ilk. 

I do do not treat all Brexiters with disdain. There are several here who frequently make cogent comments and set me thinking. 

Edited by Grouse

1 minute ago, CG1 Blue said:

I'm seeing a trend here.  You don't like Leadsom and Minford.  You do like Soubry, Clarke etc. It wouldn't be that you only like those who share your view on Brexit would it? ????

No. I appreciate well educated, thoughtful people of conviction. Minford is just appalling. From the results of his actions. Loathsome is just not my type; I'll take Heidi!

2 minutes ago, Grouse said:

No. I appreciate well educated, thoughtful people of conviction. Minford is just appalling. From the results of his actions. Loathsome is just not my type; I'll take Heidi!

Heidi Allen, or the Swiss orphan who lived in the Alps? 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

Heidi Allen, or the Swiss orphan who lived in the Alps? 

I don't like dogs.

I remember Heidi in the Swiss Alps! Takes you back

I had a thing about the bird in White Horses? Remember that?

Edited by Grouse
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Grouse said:

I don't like dogs.

I think that one was before my time, and presumably not re-run as Champion the Wonder Horse was. Damn, that theme tune will now be stuck in my head all day! 

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Grouse said:

I don't like dogs.

Love the clip you've added. Skilfully dubbed from Slovenian to English. Little did they know they'd be buying their horse supplies in Euros a few years later...????

4 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

Love the clip you've added. Skilfully dubbed from Slovenian to English. Little did they know they'd be buying their horse supplies in Euros a few years later...????

And we'd be eating the horses as burgers!

I seem to have a thing about ladies' bottoms. Should I see a doctor?

• Haha 1