Expelled no questions asked at Don Muang

Hello, I am from Canada in my late 30s. I was back in Thailand since October after 2 years in Europe.

I did extension and border visa run since then. This time I thought it would be a good idea to get a tourist visa and got one without issue in Vientiane. Then I flew back at Don Muang and they did not ask anything. They put me aside then brought me to detention. 

The air Asia officer who is in charge of me was the first to explain anything. They denied me for too little fund but I have over 200,000 baht with me and more in Bitcoin. I also booked a flight out of Thailand within 55 days. 

I have no tattoo, I dress like a businessman when flying, I am polite, etc. I had only 1 day overstay because I missed my bus ride on 2 of January (they left earlier then scheduled). 

My girlfriend is pregnant and we planned to do a wedding. Now I'm thinking to relocate somewhere more friendly with my girlfriend. 

Be warned don't go to Don Muang or to Thailand. 

Edit: The Thai Asia officer told me that he never saw farang before in detention but its now common. 

Edit2: I know I could get elite visa but planned to invest that money on a house for my family. 

Edited by Tayaout

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

So what happened after refused entry? Flown back to Vientiane. Sounds strange.

Im in detention and they send me back to Vientiane this afternoon. 

Edited by Tayaout

2 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

Im in detention and they send me back to Vientiane this afternoon. 

OK. From airport go to border crossing. Have money on you. 20k (not needed but have it). Also since you have had bad experience maybe book accom somewhere which you can cancel without penalty. Get minibus to udon thani  town or airport. Fly low cost to DM. Domestic no problem

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, pr9spk said:

He said he had 200,000 and more in bitcoin "on him". Unless you can get bitcoin in cash nowadays, then I suspect that he means he had it "available to him", which is why he was refused.

He meant 20,000baht. The bitcoin is irrelevant. BTW he did not state "200,000 and more in bitcoin".... He said 200,000 baht and more in bitcoin"

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, pr9spk said:

He said he had 200,000 and more in bitcoin "on him". Unless you can get bitcoin in cash nowadays, then I suspect that he means he had it "available to him", which is why he was refused.

They ask nothing. I had 200,000 cash with me. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, stevenl said:

Official reason, yes.

But he seems to be living in Thailand on tourist visa, which is the real reason he got refused.

I can understand but immigration rules are pretty confusing and no warning given. 

I think they got confused because there was another guy with no money and no flight ticket. The officer somehow forgot to ask me anything. 

Edited by Tayaout
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

I can understand but immigration rules are pretty confusing and no warning given. 

Stevenl is correct. The "insufficient funds" is just the standard (easy) way to refuse entry. You did not give lot of detail about how long you have been in Thailand, time between visits, etc. You will manage OK at border crossings but bkk airports will be problematic.

14 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Stevenl is correct. The "insufficient funds" is just the standard (easy) way to refuse entry. You did not give lot of detail about how long you have been in Thailand, time between visits, etc. You will manage OK at border crossings but bkk airports will be problematic.

I was here since October. Back to back visa run and extension every month. Before that I was here 3 years ago on ED visa for 1 year. I will probably try to come back via Laos land border. 

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, MARK74 said:

have you tried asking to speak to an IO and ask them for a form to appeal the decision. might not go anywhere but since they are denying you entry anyway, it may be worth a try. 

No but my flight is in about 2h so not much time for this. 

13 minutes ago, MARK74 said:

have you tried asking to speak to an IO and ask them for a form to appeal the decision. might not go anywhere but since they are denying you entry anyway, it may be worth a try. 

I believe even if you try that way you are held in detention until the case is decided.

21 minutes ago, overherebc said:

I believe even if you try that way you are held in detention until the case is decided.

i was thinking there was a slim chance that when he requested the form he might be able to explain his situation in more detail and show the 200,000 baht cash then they might just let him through. he said he thought they may have mixed up his circumstances with someone else.

lot's of people are denied with the excuse of having insufficient funds but surely it's unusual for someone with 200k in cash on them to be refused for that reason.

anyway, there's more holes in that post than gandhis flip flop and if i were to answer what i really think it would be verging on inflammatory and would rightly be deleted shortly after so best of luck with it all OP. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

So what happened after refused entry? Flown back to Vientiane. Sounds strange. If that's the case you still have a valid setv. Cross at border. Non khai

Would you ever enter a country that's taken obvious steps to disallow your entry?

• Thanks 1

Not withholding any information at all but it seems common on this forum to doubt everything.  I'm the first one surprised they did not ask me anything except to sign the expulsion form.

Edited by Tayaout
  • Like 2