Expelled no questions asked at Don Muang

6 hours ago, MARK74 said:

i was thinking there was a slim chance that when he requested the form he might be able to explain his situation in more detail and show the 200,000 baht cash then they might just let him through

I'm not sure how immigration work it, but every time I ever had the unfortunate experience of being detained, pockets were cleared, shoes & belt removed with personal items signed for.

So, they should already know that the reason for denial of entry, lack of funds, is BS. Unless the OP has left the money in his baggage and not mentioned it. IMO a very silly move by not registering it.

5 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

I think you'll find most countries allow their IO's to deny entry should they suspect the person wishing to enter. 

If they suspect you aren't a tourist, possibly therefore working illegally to finance your stays, not bothering to get the correct class of visa, they can deny entry. That isn't unique to Thailand.

Thai IOs cannot adopt Aussie, USA, or whatever laws which may allow additional reasons to deny-entry.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JackThompson said:

This clique within Immigration don't care if the Thai lady loses support for herself and her child.  They seem to hate their own citizenry as much as farangs, given their actions harm them even worse than we who can take our foreign-incomes anywhere with us.  They way they treated my wife at immigration confirmed this - they literally hate them for giving us a way to stay here.

No doubt about it the majority of them don't want us in Thailand. When was the last time one gave you a welcoming smile at a border point? In fact even the farangs who wai and sawadee krab them just get a look of contempt from them as their passport is almost thrown back at them.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Peterhua said:

No doubt about it the majority of them don't want us in Thailand. When was the last time one gave you a welcoming smile at a border point?

Happens a lot at entry-points on the Issan border (other than Poipet).  They seem to think it is charming I married a Thai - have a little chit-chat.  The last entry on my previous Non-O-ME, the guy joked with me about it expiring soon, with a smile.  Even when I was a frequent-tourist, I had some pleasant encounters, mixed with no-talk civil ones.

It's the very inverse of what one can expect in a Bangkok airport (or Poipet), where the bosses are evidently filling their subordinate's heads with hate.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Briggsy said:
10 minutes ago, Shaunduhpostman said:

Additionally nasty is the fact that they have written the untrue comment about insufficient funds in his passport.

It is all in Thai. So only Thais and Laos can read it.

Even if the Malaysian IOs can read it, likely due to seeing it a lot, they know it's pure bs, and no financial-vetting was involved.

23 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

That is arrest. The OP was just denied entry. I am confident his personal items were not taken. (He was online!) He was just not allowed to pass Immigration and would have had his passport temporarily taken away.

It is all in Thai. So only Thais and Laos can read it.

Yes, but, that was my point that it will potentially cause the guy problems at friendlier Thai land border crossings. Agreed it won't effect going to other countries.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

Ok the officer in Laos asked what happen then asked to see money and flight ticket. They were surprised I was denied for lack of funds. Then it was all smile from there and I had to do some paperwork . They canceled the exit stamp and told me I have 5 days to fly somewhere else. I will book a flight to Malaysia in case i get denied at the land border back to Thailand tomorrow. I feel bad but now I'm free again. 

Probably unnecessary, but be meticulous about your grooming tomorrow. Some immigration officials are influenced by this.

6 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Probably unnecessary, but be meticulous about your grooming tomorrow. Some immigration officials are influenced by this.

I know... Like I said I was clothed like a businessman and shaved but the others in detention were in flip-flop and t-shirt... So looks did not had much influence yesterday. 

What is “clothed like a businessman”?  Are we talking about a Brooks Brothers suit?  If so, they would most definitely have suspicions about you working in Thailand.  Of course, wearing flip flops and a Chang tank top won’t ingratiate you with the IO, but I’m sure there is a happy medium.

3 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Can't you read, he had 200k in CASH...also they didnt even ask him for it...

What a shame - if they continue like this thailand will be uninteresting as most interesting people will be fed up with this bs and go somewhere else.

Even if the IOs stopped 100 of such "tourists" a day from entering Thailand, this number don't amount to anything compared to the tens of millions of tourists that visit Thailand yearly.  He don't consider himself to be a tourist and neither does the IO.  As for his 200K cash he had with him, so what?

5 minutes ago, Airalee said:

What is “clothed like a businessman”?  Are we talking about a Brooks Brothers suit?  If so, they would most definitely have suspicions about you working in Thailand.  Of course, wearing flip flops and a Chang tank top won’t ingratiate you with the IO, but I’m sure there is a happy medium.

Long shirt, black pants and leather shoes. Clean look and decontracted but no ties or coat. I'm confident it had 0 influence lol

Edited by Tayaout
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

Long shirt, black pants and leather shoes. Clean look and decontracted but no ties or coat. I'm confident it had 0 influence lol

Good luck, mate; sometimes there's no rhyme or reason that can be figured out for sh*t happening.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Tayaout said:

The air Asia officer who is in charge of me was the first to explain anything. They denied me for too little fund but I have over 200,000 baht with me and more in Bitcoin.

Did they ask for proof of funds?

Having 200,000+ baht of bitcoin is equal to ZERO in the eyes of the Immigration Dept.   They want to see 20,000 THB in cold hard cash, they will accept other major currencies but it has to be equal to 20,000 Baht. 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, jspill said:

Less than 6 months stay in the last year makes him a tourist, OP said he's been here since Oct. He's not classed as a tax resident and there've been many IOs saying as long as you stick to <180 days per year on tourist visas, that's acceptable.

Don't worry, the IO very likely expects him to hit 6 months.

33 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

I think if I ever get back to Bangkok I will try to get the denied entry stamp reversed at Chang Wattana. 

That would not be a good idea and you could cause yourself more problems.

Regardless of what you may have been told in this thread; immigration had every lawful right to deny you entry and I can’t see what reason you would have to appeal — unless you were denied under 12 (9) or maybe 12 (3).

Get married as soon as you can so you can get an appropriate non immigrant visa. 

Edited by elviajero
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, seancbk said:

Having 200,000+ baht of bitcoin is equal to ZERO in the eyes of the Immigration Dept.   They want to see 20,000 THB in cold hard cash, they will accept other major currencies but it has to be equal to 20,000 Baht. 

Even with 20K in “cold hard cash” he could lawfully be denied entry under section 12 (2), which was probably the reason used.

2 hours ago, JackThompson said:

He can stay 60 days per-entry, optionally extended to 90-tops.  He can leave and repeat this.  This is not illegal.  Because the law is not followed at Bangkok airports (and a few other entry-points), one must avoid these - because they don't respect the law there, and they are reported (many times) to make up a blantant-lie to refuse-entry to lawful entrants.

There is abusing the tourist visa by using it to live in Thailand. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, seancbk said:

Having 200,000+ baht of bitcoin is equal to ZERO in the eyes of the Immigration Dept.

It was 200,000 Baht plus bitcoin. The OP has said numerous times the decision was made quickly and he was not asked to show any cash. As stated, they were not interested in his 200,000 Baht.

32 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

I think if I ever get back to Bangkok I will try to get the denied entry stamp reversed at Chang Wattana. 

I don't think that is such a great idea. But if you have decent connections, then maybe you can achieve it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Baerboxer said:

I think you'll find most countries allow their IO's to deny entry should they suspect the person wishing to enter. 

If they suspect you aren't a tourist, possibly therefore working illegally to finance your stays, not bothering to get the correct class of visa, they can deny entry. That isn't unique to Thailand.

True, but most countries vet visa applications fairly tightly to rule out 'tourists' wanting to work, rather than relying on IO at their borders to do that job in a more arbitrary fashion.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

Ah yes, the old "other countries have different laws, and Thailand should be following those rather than their own Immigration Act" argument. Thailand decided not to follow the common practice of giving absolute power to immigration officials. The Immigration Act specifically states that only the Minister has the power to arbitrarily admit or exclude individuals or groups. I believe this was done for good reason. Thailand has long had problems of corruption among officials. Giving them too much power makes it easy for them to corruptly monetise that power. 

Which is why most long term residents here are actually long stay visitors.  They have to reapply yearly to stay here with 90-days reporting where applicable. This is the beauty of the system here.

• Like 1

Don't get an Elite Visa unless you are prepared to give out at least 500.000 Baht and get very little in return.

Also, as far as I know, they will take the money of you, then refuse you the visa for your overstay, then refuse to return your money.

Edited by possum1931

40 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

As others have advised, this is not a good idea, it may make things worse for you. Let sleeping dogs lie as we say in England. I suggest if you want rid of the stamp, get a new passport as soon as convenient to you. Good luck and let us know if you are able to get back into Thailand.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, seancbk said:

200K Baht PLUS bitcoin is what he had.  The 200K was cash.

43 minutes ago, myshem said:

You were lucky to come from Laos. It's always smarter to fly from neighboor country. Idiots are sent back to EU or US.

More likely ignorant than idiots - it's not logical to expect Thai immigration to be actively shafting their own citizens out of making money from our spending for no reason. 

But, yes - don't ever risk a long flight to Bangkok as a tourist, if you have any sort of past-stay history beyond occasional, short trips.   Every Thai-blog or "come visit Thailand" ad should have, as a legal-disclaimer:

Warning! Thai Immigration at some airports does not follow Thai immigration law.  Be aware that a group of rogue officers who actively-hate foreigners has turned these entry-points into unreliable places to enter the country.  If attempting entry there, you could be detained and returned to your point of origin based on a lie.  Thailand is still a wonderful country, but use of law-abiding points of entry is strongly advised.  You Have Been Warned!

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 1